It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Inventions that changed the world

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 07:36 AM
link   
shbaz...You must also realize that the printing press is effectively the machine that changed the world from Medieval to Modern. With its invention more people were able to read and write, and a mass distribution of literature could happen. Whereas previously only the clergy were able to translate the Bible for the masses, the people themselves could now begin to read and understand it for themselves. Everything that can be mass distributed in our modern world, can do so because of the invention of the printing press. The printing press was the pre-cursor to computers and the internet in fact...it linked thousands of people and created the widespread basis for knowledge aquisition.

If it was not for the invention of the printing press you may very well have no internet, or freedom to interpret religion and knowledge the way you see fit. The press IS possibly the single greatest invention, because while most see it as insignificant, its reach to humanity has been nothing short of brilliant.

[edit on 20-10-2004 by Jazzerman]

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Good point, but I think there were a lot of other factors involved in that as well. For a long time bibles were about the only mass distributed book. That, and regardless of it being a precursor, the internet is much more powerful as an information tool. I have as much power as any printing press does on the internet. Look at Maddox.. he gets more hits in a month than billion dollar corporations get in a year.

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I would think that language is the most important invention. I'm not sure which caveman to credit with the invention though.

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 01:46 PM
link   
The most important invention ever created in the history of mankind in my opinion is...... Loo Roll!

Because if it wasn't invented i'd have to spend an extra few minutes at the restuarant, work, g/f's house wiping the crap off my hand and buying blackberry and summer fruits hand wash in large an expensive quantities to cover up the smell!!!

Go Bog Roll!

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   
The washing machine.

QueenBob

top topics

<< 1   >>

join