It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: House Votes to Break Up 9th Circuit Court

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Citing rapid growth in the region, the House has voted to split up the United States Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals. However, critics are claiming that this is a political move designed to punish the court which has rendered rulings that has angered conservatives. The revised plan would still leave California and Hawaii in the Ninths district and establish 2 others to cover the other Western states. Denying it was political motivation, supporters of the split pointed to the huge case load and the huge growth in the region.

news.yahoo.com
WASHINGTON - The Republican-led House voted Tuesday to break up the San Francisco-based 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, an action opponents said was motivated by conservatives' ire over some of the court's rulings.

Nine states are currently covered by the 9th Circuit, but the legislation would leave just California and Hawaii in a revamped lineup.

The proposal splits the seven other states into two new courts: one to handle appeals from Arizona, Idaho, Montana and Nevada; and the other to oversee Alaska, Oregon and Washington.

Supporters said the new lineup reflects the need to address the region's bulging caseload and rapid population growth. They denied the vote was an expression of displeasure with court rulings, including the 2002 opinion that declared the Pledge of Allegiance unconstitutional when recited in public schools.

"The need to split the 9th Circuit is undeniable. It has grown so rapidly that we will have to split this court," said Rep. Mike Simpson, R-Idaho.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The most recent ruling that sparked debate was the 2002 opinion that the Pledge of Allegiance could not be cited in public schools due to the �under god� portion. The measure passed the House by a very small margin 205-194 and is expected to receive strong opposition in the house. California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger indicated that he felt that the split was unnecessary

[edit on 10/5/04 by FredT]

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
Citing rapid growth in the region, the House has voted to split up the United States Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals. However, critics are claiming that this is a political move designed to punish the court which has rendered rulings that has angered conservatives.

The rulings that this court have made should have angered anyone! In my opinion these judicial activists should be punished. This is one of the few times I'm in favor of a political move. I definitely don't buy the rapid "growth in the region" reason.

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 12:11 AM
link   
I think California should have it's own district but I guess they had to throw another state in to make it work. They need to do the same with the 5th circuit, make Texas and some other state like LA into the 23533545 district because the condition the federal court system today is a joke at least in Harris County, the capital punishment capitol of the western world and the civil liability capitol of the world besides that little town in Mississippi that has that pharmacy just accross the border wher everyone is suing as according to 60 Minutes. They're so damn overcrowded why not spread them out? Or we could spend 10 years waitint to go to trial before them. Or we could revamp the justice system but as long as lawyers control the government I dont think that will happen. True justice for the average person?, what a joke!

new topics

join