It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Twisted light' carries 2.5 terabits of data per second

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druid42
reply to post by tothetenthpower

My first Hard Drive (before, everything was on a 720kb floppy) was 40mb, and I thought, wow, I'll NEVER be able to use all that room. Never again will I think too much or too fast.

IPv6 is also supposed to allow the MTUs of interfaces to increase, leaving streaming everything to be a possibility.

“640K ought to be enough for anybody.” -Bill Gates (1981)
He says now that he never said that but I think he did. Even he did not know the power of what he started.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Lol I take it you are energy independent then?
What do you use? Solar? Wind turbines? Nuclear?

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
I get 2.5 terabits of data per second, on my I phone down loads when I'm going down Hill that is. LOL

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
What I'd personally want from the future of telecoms is low latency connections world wide. Being a gamer would be much better if the mmo style "lock on and hack 1,2,3,4,5" kind of gameplay would disappear and some actual skill would be required. I wouldn't care how many TB's it could carry as long as the ping were low. We could finally get some global fps action going on

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Seems that they are quite close to being able to replicate actual DNA. Which is another form of light used to code information in a double helical spiral.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   
DNA is an other form of light???
must have skipped this class

This OP reminds me of some testimony I saw long ago in a documentary on UFOs. The guy was talking about a spacecraft that was made of what he compared to "fiber optics". I think he was actually reffering to the "guts" of the craft and its nav system/interface. Suddenly it kind of makes sense if you think about it. Some kind of bio-mymethic space craft that uses pure light as ultra speed computing system. A synthetic brain if you will...
The light carries the flux of info at instantaneous rates... you just need to find a way to build the synthetic "cerebellum" to deal with that motherload and off you go

insipring...

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   
1st page of negative nancy "weak hardware" replies.
This is amazing. Almost as amazing as the addition of gears to wheels.
With the current rate of technological progress we are on the fast track to evolving into aliens and going back in time to hint at our capabilities to the humans of yesteryear. Woot.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Finally, I can actually have faster internet. My neighbor tends to download 'stuff' a lot, I mean a lot.

But S+F!

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 11:46 PM
link   
The adult film industry can't wait for this technology to develop more

That's crazy fast though. I can honestly see this being integrated into our everyday lives within 20 years.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by TinkerHaus
If only there was a storage device capable of reading or writing at anything even close to these speeds..

Isn't there though? Are our brains capable?

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by EnigmaAgent

Here in the UK, my BT landline, ( copper wire.) delivers Broadband at an eye watering 3 Mbps, on a good day !

( And I'm not complaining..)

It is a technical achievement, no doubt, but without the hardware that can work at those speeds, it could be some time before it becomes reality.

I'm not sure what use such fast transfer rates would be to the average home computer user, either, but then I'm no expert....maybe for corporations and government departments ?

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 02:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Komodo

Ohhh~!!! it's wireless transfer apparently !!

You do realize wireless transfer uses electromagnetic waves? And you do realize visible light is electromagnetic waves? The entire EM spectrum is merely photons at different frequencies. Fiber optics and wireless technology both use streams of photons, just at different frequencies.
edit on 26/6/2012 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 02:48 AM
link   
For those so inclined, some of the more technical aspects are discussed in this Nature Photonics article called "Terabit free-space data transmission employing orbital angular momentum multiplexing"
LINK: www.nature.com...

What might this tech will be used for?

Let's see.....How about lightning-fast satellite data transfer links for sending, receiving and processing massive amounts of information to facilitate the remote management of multiple, complex "combat theatre" scenarios in real-time. Or maybe ultra-high-throughput electronics for high-speed, precision guidance and flight-control systems in the next-generation of hypersonic weapons. Not to worry, though, because all developmental research was paid for by US taxpayers through the auspices of your friendly neighborhood DARPA project, The ability to "reach out and touch" any target on the globe, within minutes, will bring the possibility of "death from above" to more people worldwide than ever before. Neat tech but undoubtedly will be used in weapons systems, or other military technology, first and foremost. We, the techno-serfs, might see this tech trickle down to consumer electronics, perhaps, within our lifetimes.
edit on 26-6-2012 by BULLPIN because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-6-2012 by BULLPIN because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 03:26 AM
link   
LOL
Revolution has come for network cards to get the attention that video cards get! load em up with ram and put more powerful processors on them! Seriously where would all of those bits go ? As far as I know my HD is writing at MAX 6GBs a second! Not fast enough. Anyone know what happened to the holy grail of storage (hologram) ?

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by MeesterB
With the current rate of technological progress we are on the fast track to evolving into aliens and going back in time to hint at our capabilities to the humans of yesteryear. Woot.

The reason I mention that storage media is nowhere near 2.5Tbps is because historically storage media has lagged behind technological advances in other areas of computing.

The best PCI-E SSD on the market today is 6Gbps read and 4.4 Gbps write.. 2.5Tbps is roughly 568 times faster than the world's fastest SSD.

So we've got a loooong way to go before we have the storage media to take advantage of these transfer rates. Talk about a bottleneck. =\

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Logiciel
DNA is an other form of light???
must have skipped this class

This OP reminds me of some testimony I saw long ago in a documentary on UFOs. The guy was talking about a spacecraft that was made of what he compared to "fiber optics". I think he was actually reffering to the "guts" of the craft and its nav system/interface. Suddenly it kind of makes sense if you think about it. Some kind of bio-mymethic space craft that uses pure light as ultra speed computing system. A synthetic brain if you will...
The light carries the flux of info at instantaneous rates... you just need to find a way to build the synthetic "cerebellum" to deal with that motherload and off you go

insipring...

The guy you saw in that documentary was David Adair. Absolutely amazing, believable speaker. There's several threads on him here at ATS. If you do enough research you start getting a clue that 'they' have reverse engineered that alien craft they have and we're already produced space craft that do this. Further down the rabbit hole, we're supposedly using them to regularly go to the moon and Mars (via a base in Antarctica), total travel time to the moon 1/2 hour...

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   
This is an amazing breakthrough in consumer tech.

What would someone do with all that info per second? You could rewrite tremendous amounts of anything, in seconds.

How many people think this has been had since the 80s-90s?

Secretly hidden from the public,

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChaoticOrder
reply to post by Komodo

Ohhh~!!! it's wireless transfer apparently !!

You do realize wireless transfer uses electromagnetic waves? And you do realize visible light is electromagnetic waves? The entire EM spectrum is merely photons at different frequencies. Fiber optics and wireless technology both use streams of photons, just at different frequencies.
edit on 26/6/2012 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

nope..

so you're saying this is old news because you have knowledge of this already and you've got a inside scope on this type of tech ??

I have no clue what your point is.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by TinkerHaus

Originally posted by MeesterB

The reason I mention that storage media is nowhere near 2.5Tbps is because historically storage media has lagged behind technological advances in other areas of computing.

The best PCI-E SSD on the market today is 6Gbps read and 4.4 Gbps write.. 2.5Tbps is roughly 568 times faster than the world's fastest SSD.

So we've got a loooong way to go before we have the storage media to take advantage of these transfer rates. Talk about a bottleneck. =\

Agreed~!

& wouldn't it be VERY interesting if we had a 'discovery' of such tech that would be able to write at those speeds within 6 months?

personally, we prolly do, but it's on the shelf and currently military tech

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by chadderson
Seems that they are quite close to being able to replicate actual DNA. Which is another form of light used to code information in a double helical spiral.

Um, no. DNA isn't light. It's a string of phosphate sugars tied together with purines and pyrimidines.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join