It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supreme Court strikes down key parts of Arizona immigration law

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Sword

Too bad most righties will ignore this post and concentrate on worshiping Sheriff Joe. Somewhere, out there, someone has made a shrine of him out of toilet paper. Somewhere.

The whole thing with Sheriff Joe is - - he was given special circumstances by the Federal Government to see if he could come up with a more successful plan to thwart illegal immigration.

What he did was profiling and raids - - which is illegal. So his special circumstances were revoked. That's what he is fighting.

He's such an ego driven blow hard. Plus he ignored other areas of need under his jurisdiction - - except for those people just like him who support him.

I used to go to Mexico for lunch. It used to be very pleasant. Now it makes you feel like you are a criminal - - even if you are an anglo birth right American.

I can personally testify major security changes along the border.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

It's a fact that the federal government isn't doing a good job. The fact that there are 20 million illegals in this country proves it. And Arizona takes the brunt of the cost of illegals (along with California). OF COURSE they are going to try to stop the illegals from coming in. It's self preservation.

Why don't they focus on what they do have control over, and that is the employers in their own state.

They can pass severe penalties for employing illegals if they wanted to...but they don't want to...because they are playing to politics game just like everyone else.

Until someone can give a good answer as to why Arizona won't focus on coming down hard on the employers...I will continue to laugh at people who claim Arizona is just trying to protect themselves.

Time for the people to rise up and take control of their own security since the feds obviously can't handle it. The good citizens of Arizona have taken the first empowerment steps.

Good luck with that.

And what have the people of Arizona done exactly...they just got slapped down by the SCOTUS.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher

This thread is not about my personal opinions of immigration...it is about the SCOTUS decision...I'd prefer not to have it go off-topic into a general immigration debate.

If you want my personal opinion...I state it many times in this thread and would love to discuss it with you in that thread.

LMAO!

This whole thread is rich with your personal feelings/opinions.Cloaked in the same stale rhetoric of all pro-immigrants debates.
You wouldnt have posted the thread to begin with. Or reply to every single post with semantics laden arguement over somebodys use of the word "is", If you didnt have strong personal feelings on the issue.

Originally posted by Annee
I used to go to Mexico for lunch. It used to be very pleasant. Now it makes you feel like you are a criminal - - even if you are an anglo birth right American.

Oh great, thank you so much for having spent so much money in a foreign country
because you find the culture cute and exotic

edit on 25-6-2012 by truthseeker808 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by TheTardis

And as a Citizen of the USA, I will gladly carry around paperwork proving I am a citizen and show it every time I get pulled over. I am proud to be from the USA. They are welcome to look up my citizenship status if it means everyone else they pull over gets the same.

And I as a Citizen of the USA will proudly walk around with zero identification because I am FREE to do so.

It is sad you are so willing to be bound by paper to be able to be "free".

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   

I see Scalia's remarks as out of line and him abusing his position.

That's right, In the US people are not allowed to give their opinion.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Yes..they go to ICE...do you know if ICE deported them???

On those 3, yes they did.

That is up to ICE...they may deport them...they may not...depending on the information available and their investigation.

What you suggested was that they were deported on the spot.

Self admittance of being Illegal, YES.
All evidence at hand, with the fact it is very easy to found out. "Excuse me, how did you come into the US"?
I did learn that most ILLEGALS, once you get past their charade of "No Habla English", they will tell you very truthfully how they got here.

And if they admit it to ICE, then ICE can use that.

You do understand the idea of chain/custody of evidence?
By that measure, my report detailing someone with enough drugs for DEA to get involved, means they could not use my info/report.

You are very poor at the LE stuff.

Your sorry doesn't even come close.

Um, ok then. Sure sure

Oh...now they are on tape...you see...you didn't say that before and I'm not psychic.

And yes...if they admit it to ICE, that is different than admitting it to a local cop.

You are kind of proving my point...local cops have no authority...it all has to go through ICE.

Whether it be in a report, on dash cam, pocket tape it is still admitted for evidence.
Again, you are not very good at the LE Legal game.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   

The people who are very militantly against "illegals" just want a which hunt...they don't see to care to actually take care of the issue...which starts with American citizens employing "illegals".

More boo-hooing for people that broke the law at the first step.

And please show me, where oh where, people like I that have stated not to increase punishment for companies.

You are at your last stand.

Next stand, "Racists" I bet.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Dude, really? Are going to have to play word scramble today, again? I didnt say they were doing nothing at "All".

Do I have to re-quote your exact words again.

Please explain the difference between doing "nothing" and doing "nothing at all"

Just admit to the fact that you made an incorrect statement...and you tried to use that incorrect statement to base your entire argument on.

And now you are trying to claim you didn't say that...sorry...words mean things and your comments are well documented in your previous posts.

I never once said they were NEVER enforcing ANY immigration laws.

Ahem....

The federal government just said that Arizona cannot enforce the law that the federal government refuses to enforce themselves.

You either be more clear in what you type...or just admit you are wrong.

So please, stop putting words in my mouth and try actually answering some of the questions people have asked you instead of making things up and putting words in peoples mouths to try and make your president look good.

I can only go by what you write in your posts...and you clearly wrote that the Federal Government IS NOT ENFORCING THE LAW.

That doesn't mean they are kind of enforcing it...or that they are selectively enforcing it...or that they aren't doing enough enforcement...it means they are not enforcing the law.

Convey your thoughts clearly...and then maybe you won't have a problem with contradicting yourself later.

Or just admit you were wrong and spoke without knowing the facts.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   

First from my understanding Arizona didn't just make up laws, they chose to make themselves able to enforce the federal laws that were already on the books. I could be wrong

If you don't even know what the Arizona laws says...why in the hell are you trying to argue in favor of it???

Please go educate yourself first and then come back when you can comment intelligently about something you have done research on.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   

reply to post by FlyersFan

It's a fact that the federal government isn't doing a good job. The fact that there are 20 million illegals in this country proves it. And Arizona takes the brunt of the cost of illegals (along with California). OF COURSE they are going to try to stop the illegals from coming in. It's self preservation.

Why don't they focus on what they do have control over, and that is the employers in their own state.

They Are. Pay attention, this thread isnt about that remember? You wanted it to stay on topic remember? Thats why you wont answer anyone's questions, remember that?

Examples of Laws regarding hiring illegals

ARIZONA

OKLAHOMA

CALIFORNIA

ALABAMA

Thats just a few I found. Thats something the states CAN control and ARE trying to control. Now if the Federal government would get off its A$$ and get rid of the illegals the tempting workforce would be gone as well. You cant do one without the other. It just wont work. But for got sakes stop playing your broken record saying we need to go after the companies. WE ARE!!!!!

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   

And as a Citizen of the USA, I will gladly carry around paperwork proving I am a citizen and show it every time I get pulled over. I am proud to be from the USA. They are welcome to look up my citizenship status if it means everyone else they pull over gets the same.

And I as a Citizen of the USA will proudly walk around with zero identification because I am FREE to do so.

It is sad you are so willing to be bound by paper to be able to be "free".

You know what? When I was out of the country I was told it was illegal for me to walk around without my passport. I didnt complain. That was the law in that country from what I was told and I was happy to abide by it. And people around here that walk around without any ID are called homeless people.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   

What are you talking about? The way I am reading it they are allowing a police officer during a routine traffic stop (detain) to inquire about the persons status in this country. I am not going to go searching around for your posts but this is the part that you thought was so bad wasnt it? That they might use to profile people?

They have always been able to do this...nothing has changed.

The part that was really bad is the part of the law that said Police could engage an interaction soley based on the fact that they suspected someone was illegal. That was the big issue with profiling. Originally, when informaiton was just coming out and different sources were reporting different things...I thought at one point this was the part that was upheld, but it wasn't.

The remaining part does have it's own potential for profiling...but it is already practiced in Arizona and probably in most states.

So for Jan Brewer to claim vicotry is a bit idiotic on her part.

link   

reply to post by GD21D

I posed around the same question about the ability to protect the citizens of Arizona and I was also conveniently ignored as well.

Arizona doesn't have it's own citizens...they have residents.

No one is preventing them from "protecting" it's residents...they just can't pretend to be federal agents and try to enforce Federal law.
So now we're arguing semantics, good one. And yes they actually are handcuffing the states ability to protect it's citizens or residents whichever you fancy.Once again, who is going to be blamed if a situation like this arises.Mexico: 14 dismembered bodies found outside city hall

Authorities found the mutilated remains of 14 people inside a truck parked in front of a city government office in northern Mexico Thursday, according to the Attorney General of the State of Tamaulipas .
This is what needs to be avoided. And I'll tell you more than likely those representatives of Arizona would bear the brunt of the blame. Of course it is hypothetical, but not out of the realm of possibility. But as long as it's not your family affected right?

link   

EVERY LAST ONE of us that are for strict immigration have said we also support them going after the employer

And every single last one of you keep slamming illegals while the politicians and employers are laughing their butts off continuing with the same ol same ol.

Don't you even find it strange that the politicians who blame the illegals the most and promise to fix the problems are the same ones who never do anything about the problem. They never will because they need someone to blame for the bad economy. They merely have to mention the word illegals and people lose sight of the real problem.

Build your fence, send the army, fly more drones, higher more people...secure it with every last dime..In the end it is just more wasted money when some good legislation could cost us a lot less.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

SO, the enforcement of some laws will not happen.

Thanks.
So, laws will not be enforced. Whether it be due to 0bama law, budget or man power.

Every law is enforced.

Priorities are set and situational discretion is used to determine what investigations should go forward.

You claim you were in law enforcement...but you seem to be very ignorant with the process.

Tell me...are charges ever dropped...even when a law was actually broken in local law enforcement??? Does that mean the local law enforcement isn't doing their jobs...or are they just focusing their resources to what they determine are the more important issues???

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by GD21D
So now we're arguing semantics, good one.

That is all he has left.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

The people who are very militantly against "illegals" just want a which hunt...they don't see to care to actually take care of the issue...which starts with American citizens employing "illegals".

The illegals are scrapegoats for bad economies. Always have and always will. If the economy was good everybody would be looking the other way and could care less who is what.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Where do you get that bull crap? Stop trying to make yourself and others like you the marter. EVERY LAST ONE of us that are for strict immigration have said we also support them going after the employer. Both are at fault though, not just the employer. You can stop lying now. Seriously.

You speak for everyone now???

Tell me this...why aren't you angry at Arizona for not focusing more on the employers...since that is something that is 100% within their power to do...instead of trying to trump Federal law that they knew was going to be struck down???

Instead...you direct your anger at Obama...who is actually doing more than previous administrations to deport illegals and doing more to put more border patrol agents and adding drones to patrol.

It really seems like you and others are just ignorant to the facts.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Dude, really? Are going to have to play word scramble today, again? I didnt say they were doing nothing at "All".

Do I have to re-quote your exact words again.

Please explain the difference between doing "nothing" and doing "nothing at all"

Just admit to the fact that you made an incorrect statement...and you tried to use that incorrect statement to base your entire argument on.

And now you are trying to claim you didn't say that...sorry...words mean things and your comments are well documented in your previous posts.

I never once said they were NEVER enforcing ANY immigration laws.

Ahem....

The federal government just said that Arizona cannot enforce the law that the federal government refuses to enforce themselves.

You either be more clear in what you type...or just admit you are wrong.

So please, stop putting words in my mouth and try actually answering some of the questions people have asked you instead of making things up and putting words in peoples mouths to try and make your president look good.

I can only go by what you write in your posts...and you clearly wrote that the Federal Government IS NOT ENFORCING THE LAW.

That doesn't mean they are kind of enforcing it...or that they are selectively enforcing it...or that they aren't doing enough enforcement...it means they are not enforcing the law.

Convey your thoughts clearly...and then maybe you won't have a problem with contradicting yourself later.

Or just admit you were wrong and spoke without knowing the facts.

Wow.. this is almost laughable.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   

But for got sakes stop playing your broken record saying we need to go after the companies. WE ARE!!!!!

Not nearly hard enough.

By the way when is the last time a politician or any authority blasted employers who hire illegals? I don't think I've ever heard such. All I ever hear is "Damn Mexicans taking our jobs" or "Illegals taking jobs out from under Americans". Well, it wouldn't be a problem if those "damn cheap skate employers" would only hire Americans.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join