It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supreme Court strikes down key parts of Arizona immigration law

page: 24
<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

oh now isn't this just primo logic ?

Be angry at the tax code, not the people that qualify.
which part of "illegals don't qualify" are you missing ??

If you made less than $10k a year what would you do?
i have several years that qualify, but i'm a legal citizen so what does it matter what i do, i'm not breaking any laws.

My point is that there was at least a attempt to work, to EARN a income.
yes, i understand that point but its equivalent here could be ... one hour working on a construction site, then walking off with a $5,000 piece of equipment.
hey, at least they made an EFFORT to work, right?
[it happens far too frequently in this region, how's yours?]

reply to post by jam321

Many reasons. But the biggest reason is that it is not mandatory
i suppose that's one answer but unlike their American counterparts, i'd bet no desire/interest is a better one.
gaining citizenship used to require the ability to read and speak English.

not sure what "the" American standard is but an American standard has always been English.
even the Indians learned it so they could communicate successfully.

yes, many conquerers brought different languages with them, but most, applied/used English on the mainland.

reply to post by OutKast Searcher

if you don't cooperate with us, we won't cooperate with you.
funny thing is, although they firmly believe otherwise, the Feds just don't have that leverage.
as each day passes, TX and MT just don't seem like they're as likely to be first to secede.

the Fed operates under the consent of the collective states, not the other way around.
and Justice Scalia said it best ... it is AZs inherent right to defend her borders.
i do hope those along the border take that particular Supreme opinion to heart.

this isn't worthy a response as you've obviously never read it.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Honor93

i suppose that's one answer but unlike their American counterparts, i'd bet no desire/interest is a better one.

And it would be a bet you lose. And American counterparts do not go out of their way to learn other languages. That's why most Americans are on this English only trip even when their in a foreign land.

gaining citizenship used to require the ability to read and speak English.

Who said anything about citizenship. People are not required to become citizens. They can be resident aliens to the day they die if they so choose and no law says resident aliens have to learn English.

not sure what "the" American standard is but an American standard has always been English.

If you don't what the American standard is then why bring it up.

even the Indians learned it so they could communicate successfully. yes, many conquerers brought different languages with them, but most, applied/used English on the mainland.

Did they learn by choice or by force?

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

My mistake about the $1 comment, I apologize.
apology accepted

However what you did post is not accurate, is it?
it most certainly is.
IF you earned such a minimal amount, you are not required to file but you still may and you'll qualify for all the same deductions as always.
(or in excess as the case may be considering exaggerated dependants)

At this point I can criticize you for not using capitals, but like I already mentioned I'm bowing out before it gets personal.
you are free to criticize all you want, i use caps when it's important to emphasize a point but that's a writing style.
if you choose to criticize my style, feel free, you wouldn't be the first and i seriously doubt you'd be the last.

helping a friend with turbo tax does not require anything
skimmed over the fine print, eh?

I'll be anxiously awaiting news stories about sheriffs indefinitely detaining Americans
IF that's to be the case, i hope Obama and Pelosi are among the first to go.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   

ICE will still operate in Arizona
so long as AZ allows them to operate within her borders.
AZ could easily exclude all ICE operations within its territory and address their "invaders" internally.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Illegals dont deserve any rights... If you come here illegally you deserve the harshest of treatments... I'm sick of my hard earned money going to these illegals who are sneaking into the country..... In some countries you would be shot on sight if you tried to sneak in, here in the US it shouldnt be any different... You see an illegal, you shoot an illegal...Freaking Obama is killing this country....

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

And American counterparts do not go out of their way to learn other languages.
really ?? is that why they have "electives" for foreign languages in grade schools?
not mandatory mind you, but elective, which means they "choose" to do so.
unlike the illegals waiting to come here "for a better life" - yeah, right

That's why most Americans are on this English only trip even when their in a foreign land.
got a link to backup your assumption?

Who said anything about citizenship
ah yeah that's right, we're talking about illegals who show no desire to assimilate with the standards of the country they are planning on tresspassing

They can be resident aliens to the day they die if they so choose and no law says resident aliens have to learn English.
and similarly, there is no law that forces me to accomodate their inequities (at least in FL, although i've read other states do), especially in language skills.

If you don't what the American standard is then why bring it up
well then, what do you propose it is since my answer apparently isn't good enough for you? i never mentioned "the" AS, you did.
there can be more than one AS, you chose language.

since i wasn't alive then, but am a history buff, that answer would be both.
much depended on the tribe, the need and the time. (among other variables)

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Honor93

ICE will still operate in Arizona
so long as AZ allows them to operate within her borders.
AZ could easily exclude all ICE operations within its territory and address their "invaders" internally.

If ICE will do nothing, maybe we should just shut it down altogether.

We have to reduce the size of the US government. Start there.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

They can be resident aliens to the day they die if they so choose and no law says resident aliens have to learn English.
btw, immigrants who have attained "resident alien" status, are no longer classified "illegal", regardless of how they arrived.

such a status also entwines them within the "system" we've all come to love and hate simultaneously, not usurp and drain it, simultaneously.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Eurisko2012

i could second that suggestion along with a looooong list of additions.
however, good luck getting Congress to cooperate.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   

reply to post by Eurisko2012

i could second that suggestion along with a looooong list of additions.
however, good luck getting Congress to cooperate.

The House of Representatives has the power of the purse.

Look who is in charge of the House.

We need to take back the US Senate as well.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

So, all laws are not enforced.

You keep making this claim...and yet you have not been able to provide one single law that isn't being enforced.

Now let me remind you...you are saying it is NOT being enforced...meaning that they haven't enforced the law at any time.

Words mean things...remember that.

Has nothing to do with Police.
The Stupid Cop comment seems to shed light into your background and way of thinking.

Sure it does...Police enforce laws...so does the President.

Everyone has enforcement priorities...but you will defend the Police officers when they do it...but you want to make it into a huge deal when Obama does it.

Hypocrisy...yes...I think so.

I'll let you believe whatever you will about the "stupid cop" comment...it's amusing.

I don't need lessons in this from you.

Apparently you do.

It's sad though...that I have to tell you how your own job is performed.

Plus, all your statement is, is an excuse for 0bama and the fact he is pushing for no enforcement via his policy push last week.

Enforcement priority is an important role in his job...he is doing his job.

Oh...and did you know your keyboard may be broken...when typing Obama...you seem to keep hitting the zero key. Now...I wouldn't think you would be doing that on purpose...because that is a bit childish and against the ATS T&C...so it must be an accident....right???

So, with your supernatural ability to read other peoples hearts, you are also bestowed with the enlightened ability to grant other special knowledge, that only you hold.

No...I have no special knowledge...it should be common knowledge...it just appears you are lacking in that department and so I had to assist you.

I'm a nice person...I like to assist people who are challenged.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by macman

Yep, Hope and Change, Transparency and working together.

Except those States that go against 0bama. Those states will be attacked, without remorse.

Hope and Change, Change and Hope.

edit on 26-6-2012 by macman because: (no reason given)

It is the duty of the President to go against anyone that attempts to go against the Constitution.

The SCOTUS proved that AZ attempted to go against the Constitution.

You should be proud of Obama.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Honor93

really ?? is that why they have "electives" for foreign languages in grade schools? not mandatory mind you, but elective, which means they "choose" to do so.

Electives
Yes I remember those easy credit classes that Americans love to take. By the next year can't remember much.

ah yeah that's right, we're talking about illegals who show no desire to assimilate with the standards of the country they are planning on tresspassing

Reading Comprehension 101. The quote above had nothing to do with illegals. We were talking about why family members who immigrate to America Legally don't learn English before they come.

and similarly, there is no law that forces me to accomodate their inequities (at least in FL, although i've read other states do), especially in language skills.

Never said there was.

well then, what do you propose it is since my answer apparently isn't good enough for you? i never mentioned "the" AS, you did.

Go back and read your post, you said

why shouldn't foreigners make the effort and be held to an American standard ??

Now who did you say mentioned the AS?

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher

You keep making this claim...and yet you have not been able to provide one single law that isn't being enforced.

What did 0bama just push last week?
You keep avoiding this by either ignoring it or spinning it.
What did 0bama push?

Now let me remind you...you are saying it is NOT being enforced...meaning that they haven't enforced the law at any time.

What did 0bama push last week?

Words mean things...remember that.

Words having meanings? Good lord, you are now trying to set the foundation of a debate? Really? Your responses are failing.

Sure it does...Police enforce laws...so does the President.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Now that is funny. What an insult to the LE community as a whole, to be compared to 0bama. The grand community activist is no police officer.
I think 0bama pushed some statement last week, about turning a blind eye to the current law, like those ILLEGALS that have been here for X number of years can now stay. Nothing like NOT enforcing the current law.

Everyone has enforcement priorities...but you will defend the Police officers when they do it...but you want to make it into a huge deal when Obama does it.

Priorities are no excuse. All you are doing is making excuses for 0bama. I hear that same thing from every 0bama fan boy.
What's next? Is the job just too hard for him?
The law is the law. We are not talking about Police, we are talking about 0bama and his lack of enforcing ALL the laws because his re-election team thinks doing something will garner the Hispanic vote, yet every Liberal out there tells us that ILLEGAL does not mean Mexican, unless it is for getting votes. What hypocrites.

Hypocrisy...yes...I think so.

I'll let you believe whatever you will about the "stupid cop" comment...it's amusing.

Ok then. You really sound like a fool, but sure sure.

Apparently you do.

It's sad though...that I have to tell you how your own job is performed.

And yet you have not. I never stated Police can deport. That is your failed tea leaf reading and assumption.
I understand the process in place. I also understand when the law and process is circumvented via 0bama.

Enforcement priority is an important role in his job...he is doing his job.

Again, more excuses. Stop, you are making me tear up for poor 0bama. Such a hard life.
Allowing certain people to sidestep the process for votes from an ethic group is hardly his job..............Oh wait, forgot. That seems right up 0bama's alley. Forever campaigning since 2009.

Oh...and did you know your keyboard may be broken...when typing Obama...you seem to keep hitting the zero key. Now...I wouldn't think you would be doing that on purpose...because that is a bit childish and against the ATS T&C...so it must be an accident....right???

That is what you are left with? Punctuation and nit picking???

No...I have no special knowledge...it should be common knowledge...it just appears you are lacking in that department and so I had to assist you.

You sure preach like you do. I need no assistance from you. There you go again. Thinking you know best.

I'm a nice person...I like to assist people who are challenged.

Oh, so now I am challenged? And you are worried about my spelling of a name? WOW, you stay classy OutKast.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by macman

Yep, Hope and Change, Transparency and working together.

Except those States that go against 0bama. Those states will be attacked, without remorse.

Hope and Change, Change and Hope.

It is the duty of the President to go against anyone that attempts to go against the Constitution.

If that was the case, he better never look into a mirror.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Yes I remember those easy credit classes that Americans love to take
hmmmm, how did that previous comment go ?? ... something like, "at least they made an effort" ?

oh no we weren't ... you might be working such a deflection but i wasn't participating.

We were talking about why family members who immigrate to America Legally don't learn English before they come.
we were discussing why illegal immigrants, not valid family emigrating legally, don't bother to learn it while they are awaiting their turn to tresspass.

nice cut and paste job there, but when you choose to represent the full context of the comment, i'd be glad to address any applicable questions.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

jam321, extending benefit of the doubt here, perhaps the term "foreigner" confused you.
if so, please note, foreigners are just that, foreigners, they are not legal immigrants, they are not citizens and they are often illegally present.
yes, some foreigners are present legally and that is why we provide translation services, often free of charge.

however, we are not discussing legal immigrant anything.
this legislation, the SC decision, Obama's deflections, EOs and determination to avoid his duties are the topic of this thread. please focus your replies.

edit on 26-6-2012 by Honor93 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   

reply to post by jam321

When immigrants apply legally for their family members to come to US after a long wait, what is the odd that these relatives speak conversational English?

Why should these people be burden just because they don't speak conversational English?
really ???
you said ... family members arriving in US after a long wait, correct ??

well ok, how 'bout one good reason why those family members who are waiting, aren't making an effort to learn the Native language of the country in which they expect to travel ???

Americans are expected to speak conversationel foreign languages in grade school, whether they travel abroad or not. why shouldn't foreigners make the effort and be held to an American standard ??

Above is the whole quote where we started....Look at my part and you will see that I am talking about legal people waiting to come into the US and your reply to my quote. BTW, at the time my reply was toward another member.

jam321, extending benefit of the doubt here, perhaps the term "foreigner" confused you.

No confusion on my behalf.. The proof is above.

however, we are not discussing legal immigrant anything. this legislation, the SC decision, Obama's deflections, EOs and determination to avoid his duties are the topic of this thread. please focus your replies.

If you hadn't butt into my reply to another member, you wouldn't have to worry about telling others to be focused on their replies.

I hope this reply is focused enough for you.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

I wouldn't be surprised if Arizona declared a state of emergency and said that their National Guard was not available for deployment outside Arizona. That would send a message and not cost a penny.

p.s. Karl Marx had it wrong. Sports is the opiate of the masses.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

That is about the most quaint, 0bama spin way of putting it.
How about 0bama throwing a temper tantrum because the Fed was shown not to be doing their job. Now he is stomping his feet like the man child he is.

Actually..the SCOTUS showed that Arizona tried to pass some unconstitutional laws...and smacked them down.

The provision that was upheld was done so because it is current practice in every state in the nation. The only difference is that Governor Jan Brewer is going to legally require police officers to waste time by trying to confirm legal status. Obama knows this is going to flood his already busy ICE agents...so he is telling them to not waste their time in participating in Jan Brewers witch hunts.

ICE will continue to do their job without the annoyance of local cops that don't know what they are doing.

But, it still is funny that 0bama himself has stated certain laws will not be enforced, and you still champion on with the a bucket over your head and retort with "All laws are being enforced".

You have yet to show a law that isn't being enforced...so yes...all laws are being enforced.

top topics

<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join