It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supreme Court strikes down key parts of Arizona immigration law

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher
reply to post by xuenchen

I believe BH has it correct...that they have already have arressted them for something else and then they can check their status.

IF they decide to do it at a traffic stop...the law does not give them the ability to detain them even if they find they are here illegally...from what I understand by reading it.

Why not? If I get pulled over they ask me for a license and registration. I have no problem providing that. So if they stop an illegal and ask for license and registration is that illegal? And if they dont have those then what? They have to let them go because they were not arrested? Do you see how grey and fuzzy this mess just got?

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by TheTardis

I know the law and so doe Arizona. Their claim is that the federal government is not enforcing it. I know you just hate republicans and republican states and your having some circle jerk at your house because these got overturned but how about if you get upset because the federal government wont do anything to enforce their laws. Dont you think it is pretty stupid to have laws but then go to court to make sure no one can enforce them? Thats what just happened here. The federal government just said that Arizona cannot enforce the law that the federal government refuses to enforce themselves. Who exactly wasted resources? I guess if your a radical liberal Arizona did. If you are the average joe citizen the federal government did.

Who isn't enforcing the law???

Deportations are up under Obama

The Obama administration increased the deportation of illegal immigrants convicted of crimes by 70 percent.
www.politifact.com...

Deportation of illegal immigrants increases under Obama administration
www.washingtonpost.com...

So what law is the Federal Government not enforcing???

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

Oooh, sick burn!

Too bad most righties will ignore this post and concentrate on worshiping Sheriff Joe. Somewhere, out there, someone has made a shrine of him out of toilet paper. Somewhere.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Why not? If I get pulled over they ask me for a license and registration. I have no problem providing that. So if they stop an illegal and ask for license and registration is that illegal? And if they dont have those then what? They have to let them go because they were not arrested? Do you see how grey and fuzzy this mess just got?

They would treat them exactly like anyone else who doesn't have license and registration. I don't know Arizona law for that...if that means giving them a ticket and sending them on their way...that's what they should do for everyone.

It is not a local police officers job, or does he have the authority, to enforce a federal law.

According to this ruling, he can check the immigration status if he believes they may be illegal (read: if they are Mexican) and notify ICE if they are illegal. ICE will handle it from there.

I don't see the problem.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   

I know the law and so doe Arizona. Their claim is that the federal government is not enforcing it. I know you just hate republicans and republican states and your having some circle jerk at your house because these got overturned but how about if you get upset because the federal government wont do anything to enforce their laws. Dont you think it is pretty stupid to have laws but then go to court to make sure no one can enforce them? Thats what just happened here. The federal government just said that Arizona cannot enforce the law that the federal government refuses to enforce themselves. Who exactly wasted resources? I guess if your a radical liberal Arizona did. If you are the average joe citizen the federal government did.

Who isn't enforcing the law???

Deportations are up under Obama

The Obama administration increased the deportation of illegal immigrants convicted of crimes by 70 percent.
www.politifact.com...

Deportation of illegal immigrants increases under Obama administration
www.washingtonpost.com...

So what law is the Federal Government not enforcing???

And how much of an increase is there in those crossing the border illegally. The point is why what harm can there be in Arizona helping enforce the laws that are already in place? Why does the federal government feel so threatened by this? Is it because they want to pick and choose which ones to send back? And I can tell you around here I dont see any action to send back illegals. But I would venture a guess that deportations are up that much because people crossing the border are up by that much or more. But as usual nothing is going to convince you because your president is never wrong and he walks on water and craps golden eggs.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Immigration is a Federal issue...not a State issue.

It is the job of the Federal Government to protect the Freedoms of US citizens...and this law posed a direct threat due to the potential of racial profiling and harrasement.

The State of Arizona just wasted resources, time, and effort because they knew what they were doing was against Federal law and would not stand.

You are absolutely correct, and yet the Federal government is NOT upholding it's own immigration laws. Instead it is too busy trying to fight a state that has a large amount of violence stemming from the illegal immigrant issue. Yet the AMERICAN people are not protected by said Federal Government. Alas to actually protect Americans would be an infringement on the rights of the ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS.
edit on 25-6-2012 by Doom and Gloom because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-6-2012 by Doom and Gloom because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Officer Ramathorn: License and registration please
Stoner No.1: Officer I...
Officer Ramathorn: License and registration please
Really Stoned Guy: I think I'm tripping balls
Rabbit and Officer Ramathorn (in unison): You are You arreeeeeeeee

Ok, I'm going to go watch Super Troopers.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   

And how much of an increase is there in those crossing the border illegally. The point is why what harm can there be in Arizona helping enforce the laws that are already in place? Why does the federal government feel so threatened by this? Is it because they want to pick and choose which ones to send back? And I can tell you around here I dont see any action to send back illegals. But I would venture a guess that deportations are up that much because people crossing the border are up by that much or more. But as usual nothing is going to convince you because your president is never wrong and he walks on water and craps golden eggs.

You can convince me if you come with facts instead of assumptions based on your personal observations.

OH...and btw...Obama has increased the number of border agents and has added UAV drones to patrol the border.

www.politifact.com...

www.nytimes.com...

But you are right...Obama isn't doing anything to stop people from crossing the border

It would be nice for you to get your facts straight...maybe stop listening to right wing talk shows for your facts would help.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   

You can convince me if you come with facts instead of assumptions based on your personal observations.

OH...and btw...Obama has increased the number of border agents and has added UAV drones to patrol the border.

www.politifact.com...

www.nytimes.com...

But you are right...Obama isn't doing anything to stop people from crossing the border

It would be nice for you to get your facts straight...maybe stop listening to right wing talk shows for your facts would help.

Again making assumptions. I dont listen to talk radio and I hardly watch the news. I have a DVR so I skip the liberal media at 10pm. I know what I see and what I see is that the population of illegals in my area is growing in mass numbers. So my argument is based on that assumption. I can brag about big numbers all day and it means nothing if the number crossing the border is growing too. Just because he is deporting 70% more doesnt mean these lax policies and lack of action isnt allowing 80% more to cross than before. So saying you are deporting 70% more just tells me that 10% more are staying. Keep spouting numbers. And FYI. Anything that starts with "Obama Says" like the one link is automatically crap.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Just because he is deporting 70% more doesnt mean these lax policies and lack of action isnt allowing 80% more to cross than before. So saying you are deporting 70% more just tells me that 10% more are staying.

If you want to completely make up numbers like you just did...sure...you can say whatever you want.

Just don't expect people to take you seriously.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   

According to the stars they are taking him more seriously than you
edit on 25-6-2012 by hellbjorn012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Doom and Gloom

You are absolutely correct, and yet the Federal government is NOT upholding it's own immigration laws.

I'll ask you the same question I asked TheTardis (which he couldn't answer).

What Immigration law is the Federal Government not upholding???

link   

Nope.
Any Maricopa County deputy can arrest an Illegal, on the provision of trespassing. They have been using this for years, and rightfully so.

But, most Cities/Towns don't arrest, as they allow the County to run this, to avoid being portrayed in a bad light.

Being a LEO in AZ, I never targeted people due to their color. Didn't have to. My time was always busy with criminals.

The biggest issue I had was pulling over a large van, filled with 17 illegals, and being laughed at by ICE, when I requested they come get them.

The Federal Govt is not doing the job. The Border states need to just proceed with using the laws that are in place, like the trespassing law.

The faith in the Fed Govt just sinks deeper and deeper. Love the whole transparent Govt and all.
Hopey Changey never felt to dictator like.

link   
reply to post by hellbjorn012

That is all.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Just because he is deporting 70% more doesnt mean these lax policies and lack of action isnt allowing 80% more to cross than before. So saying you are deporting 70% more just tells me that 10% more are staying.

If you want to completely make up numbers like you just did...sure...you can say whatever you want.

I think anyone with common sense knows that Arizona was trying to protect its citizens and its border. My point is you can throw out what a great job Obama is doing all day and it doesnt change that fact. His small victory in the supreme court here doesnt help Arizona protect its citizens does it? But feel free to throw out those same two links for a third time. Maybe then someone will read them.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Really? Well it is a observable fact sorry you do not like it but there it is for all to see. More people staring his post means more people taking him seriously within this thread. Facts bro, facts

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by hellbjorn012

Really? Well it is a observable fact sorry you do not like it but there it is for all to see. More people staring his post means more people taking him seriously within this thread. Facts bro, facts

It's so cute you look at the stars to determine facts.

It's also kind of sad.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   

reply to post by Doom and Gloom

You are absolutely correct, and yet the Federal government is NOT upholding it's own immigration laws.

I'll ask you the same question I asked TheTardis (which he couldn't answer).

What Immigration law is the Federal Government not upholding???

AH, the OutKast Searcher shuffle.
You really need some music put to your dance.

When the Federal Govt actually enforces the laws, not selectively enforcing what 0bama wants and does not want, when ICE starts deporting people that turn to the media with sob stories, when the North and South Border is secured, when border state Ranchers don't have to deal with ILLEGALS trespassing and damaging their property and when the Fed stops trying to push programs like Fast & Furious. That is when they will actually be doing their job.

ICE need only start rolling down to the local Home Depots and just start talking with people, and deport those that are not here legally.
ICE can start by deporting the known ILLEGALS.

Not a very hard concept really. But I know you will just retort with more Open Borders BS.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   

I'm not buying your liberal slant any more than I'm buying the conservative ones.You know what I'm interested in? Ensuring this doesn't happen to the citizens of Arizona.23 Killed in Mexico Border City

The nine bodies dangling from the overpass were bloody, some were blindfolded, and, according to authorities, they bore signs of torture. The victims carried no identification but appeared to be between 25 and 30 years old, the state prosecutor's office said.

Also Friday in Nuevo Laredo, 14 headless bodies were found in black garbage bags in a truck parked outside a government customs building, authorities said. The heads were later found in three ice chests near City Hall. All of these dead were men, also between the ages of 25 and 30. Similarly, a little more than two weeks ago, 14 other dismembered bodies were found near City Hall.
I'm sure the response would be "well that didn't happen in Arizona". Well, how about we don't let it get to that point. I just don't think people put themselves in the shoes of some of these representatives. The day a story like this breaks in Arizona those representatives and LEO's will be the first to be blamed.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by macman

Any Maricopa County deputy can arrest an Illegal, on the provision of trespassing. They have been using this for years, and rightfully so.

Those charges have been thrown out of court time after time.

I don't put it past Maricopa County to do this...because Arpaio is bordering on mentally challenged...but I doubt it is common practice.

ICE has it's own investigations going on...they really don't need to be bothered by every local cop who thinks they are a federal agent...if I were an ICE agent...I would laugh at you too for trying to play Federal agent.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join