It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supreme Court strikes down key parts of Arizona immigration law

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 12:06 AM
link   
double post.
edit on 6/26/2012 by Anonymous404 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous404
reply to post by Nightwalk

So do you get your robes and hood dry cleaned with that kind of hate speech? Jeez.

Howzabout all those brown people we ran out of their own country to be quaranteened on small patches of land and steal their water supply?

Ahhh - - the All American Canal.

Charming - isn't it.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kali74
reply to post by Wolf321

There is no way to reasonably suspect someone is here illegally no way to tell if someone is a citizen or not. Speaking a language other than English doesn't cut it.
there most certainly is and just because you are neither aware or trained in such doesn't negate the technique. nice try though.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Honor93

Do tell.
Educate me.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Honor93

reply to post by Wolf321

There is no way to reasonably suspect someone is here illegally no way to tell if someone is a citizen or not. Speaking a language other than English doesn't cut it.

there most certainly is and just because you are neither aware or trained in such doesn't negate the technique. nice try though.

Please elaborate.

I gotta hear this.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by jam321

When immigrants apply legally for their family members to come to US after a long wait, what is the odd that these relatives speak conversational English?

Why should these people be burden just because they don't speak conversational English?
really ???
you said ... family members arriving in US after a long wait, correct ??

well ok, how 'bout one good reason why those family members who are waiting, aren't making an effort to learn the Native language of the country in which they expect to travel ???

Americans are expected to speak conversationel foreign languages in grade school, whether they travel abroad or not. why shouldn't foreigners make the effort and be held to an American standard ??

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
Just because they have an immigrant card shouldn't be a reason to burden them just because someone suspects they might be undocumented.

It is not a burden and is already a requirement of having the immigrant card. Do you have an issue with the current federal requirement of legal immigrants to carry and produce their documentation upon request?

Do you believe in equality or not?

We aren't dealing with an issue on inequality. All suspects are being asked for id. Not a suspect, no reason to need ID.

Why pick on only those who don't speak conversational English?

That was just an example I gave. It is the most prominent trait among illegal aliens.

And how about the ones who learned conversational English in their native country but are undocumented, how would you spot them?

Chances are you won't. But some behavior and circumstances may factor into suspecting them of being illegal. I guarantee you can easily assemble a non-racial based profile of illegals in the us to include places and type of employment, inability to speak conversational english, etc.

But you wouldn't know that unless you stopped a person. Speaking a language other than English isn't grounds to stop someone IMO. Lots of citizens speak their native tongue.

A cop is legally allowed to approach anyone for conversation. If that conversation leads the cop to suspect something about the person the cop can detain the person for further questioning. You don't stop someone because they are not speaking English, but if as a cop you approach them and they then cannot speak english with you, then it is something to look into.

Yes, lots of citizens who naturalize still speak their native tongue. My wife does, and holds conversations with her legal resident family in her native tongue. But she has to speak english with everyone outside of the home that isn't her family such as stores, restaurants, banks and more, as well as to read the local papers, local and popular television, local weather reports and emergency broadcasts, read traffic signs and warnings on gas pumps etc.
edit on 26-6-2012 by Wolf321 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

i am not your educator, you want to learn, take a class.
language is not solely verbal.
clues are inherent and not easily hidden
try immersing yourself in a sanctuary city for more than 10 days and learn firsthand.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 12:32 AM
link   

reply to post by Annee

i am not your educator, you want to learn, take a class.
language is not solely verbal.
clues are inherent and not easily hidden
try immersing yourself in a sanctuary city for more than 10 days and learn firsthand.

Would you care to translate that?

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

i thought English wasn't a problem for you

what do you need translated, exactly?
it seems pretty self explanatory to me and others who deal with it on a daily basis.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 12:35 AM
link   

reply to post by Annee

i thought English wasn't a problem for you

what do you need translated, exactly?
it seems pretty self explanatory to me and others who deal with it on a daily basis.

I speak English just fine.

There is nothing self-explanatory in what you posted.

Please explain how you deal with it daily.

edit on 26-6-2012 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Honor93

So you want to stop people based on body language? Yellow stars pinned to the clothes of legals would be more efficient don't you think?

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 12:40 AM
link   
I wanted to see Arizona be able to actually enforce illegal immigration.

My thoughts today were 'what's the point of keeping the 'papers please' clause, if they are not allowed to enforce it?

I had a conversation about this with a friend today, and he stated that Arizona is purely doing this out of racial prejudice against hispanics. I stated that race is not the factor, as Arizona would like to enforce the deportation of ANY illegal immigrant, regardless of nationality/race. He said, "Well, they are obviously doing this because of the overwhelming number of hispanics that enter their border. I told him ," Duhh, that's the population in that geographic area.....
"

Liberals seem to be delusional...

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by ButterCookie

I had a conversation about this with a friend today, and he stated that Arizona is purely doing this out of racial prejudice against hispanics.

I actually live in Arizona.

Your friend is right - - you are wrong.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 12:44 AM
link   

reply to post by Honor93

So you want to stop people based on body language?
ummm, i thought ppl were being stopped because they broke a law of some kind in the first place ??
so, now you're changing it to random stops "based on body language" to suit your argument, why ??

Yellow stars pinned to the clothes of legals would be more efficient don't you think?
don't most of them already wear one or another ?? crucifixes, ribbons (pink/yellow), flags, politics, service awards, citizen awards, you can pretty much pick a topic there.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 12:45 AM
link   
If your native tongue is not English and you are asked to show papers is that racial profiling? If companies are tracked that have used illegals in the past and everyone in those companies are checked on no notice bases for papers is that racial profiling?

I think I could come up with at least ten more ways to check papers...

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Honor93

No. One part of the law struck down today, allowed for LE to stop anyone they suspected of being illegal. The part that was held up requires that LE can only ask for papers after they have made an arrest for committing a crime.

link   
reply to post by Annee

Please explain how you deal with it daily.
well, would that include the persons i frequently share a duplex with ?? or maybe the ones i've worked alongside or share a neighborhood with or perhaps just the one who wrecked into me and destroyed my ability to live life fully ??

perhaps the fact that i live in a sanctuary city in southern Florida wouldn't grant me any level of understanding would it ??

link   

reply to post by Honor93

Do tell.
Educate me.

Oh...didn't you know...Honor93 has a super secret way of detecting illegals.

I asked about it in another thread...but it is too secret to let others know.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by ButterCookie
I had a conversation about this with a friend today, and he stated that Arizona is purely doing this out of racial prejudice against hispanics.

I actually live in Arizona.

Your friend is right - - you are wrong.

Would you please cite where the Arizona law was being done out of racial prejudice?

Because the law as written states

F. This section shall be enforced without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, disability or national origin.

source:Arizona House Bill 2162 (Amendment to SB 1070)

new topics

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join