It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supreme Court strikes down key parts of Arizona immigration law

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
More trampling on states rights. Brought to you by the idiots in Government.

So TPTB think they can tell AZ how to deal with ILLEGAL immigration, yet they do absolutely NOTHING about it.

We live in a country that was founded on immigration. Legal immigration. Every single year over 1 million people come to this country legally. We (the US) have the most open immigration policy in the entire world. But that's not good enough for some I guess. Instead, breaking the law is forgiven. In fact, it is rewarded.

Poor immigrants. They are just trying to get a better life, and provide for their families. Right? I mean, its ok to break the law when its to help your family and better yourself. Right? So I guess the next time someone robs a bank, or steals food, they can just say it was to help their families and they will be let off.

Ugh... I really grow tired of the nonsense this Federal Government puts out there. Complete incompetence. Utter stupidity. When does it end?

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher
Finally found exactly what parts were upheld and which were struck down.

Struck down

AZ RULING: Court has overturned sections requiring a) aliens to carry a registration papers

Ask any Cop anywhere. All Americans are required by Law to have proper identification on them at all times.

But Illegals don't?

What The F**k ?

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by babybunnies

Howerver...I shouldn't have to CHOOSE if I simply want to take a walk unless I can somehow prove who I am, and if I am supposed to be here.

You SHOULD have to provide ID if you're simply taking a walk and are in the country illegally.

This is where the fine line is. The police should be able to stop anyone, at any time, and ask for ID, they can in many other "non fascist" countries.

Usually, in those countries, the people that get in the most trouble when asked for ID are .... AMERICANS.

Does the phrase "Papers Please" mean anything to you? I'm not sure how you all in Canada handle situations like these but if I'm walking down the street in the United States I shouldn't have to carry any Identification.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by TheTardis

And where would you get that. This whole thread has been about illegal immigrants. Why would we deport citizens? You have to be kidding me. I didnt realize this thread was about the US deporting its own citizens. My god.. I have been completely off base then. Then I completely agree with you. We should let the Legal citizens stay in the States.

Must you try to turn everything around to suit your needs? Stop being such a child. You knew damn well what I meant. Grow up.

*sigh*

Ok...let me quote your own comments again to refresh your memory of our conversation.

YOU: www.abovetopsecret.com...

And as a Citizen of the USA, I will gladly carry around paperwork proving I am a citizen and show it every time I get pulled over. I am proud to be from the USA. They are welcome to look up my citizenship status if it means everyone else they pull over gets the same.

ME: www.abovetopsecret.com...

And I as a Citizen of the USA will proudly walk around with zero identification because I am FREE to do so.

It is sad you are so willing to be bound by paper to be able to be "free".

You know what? When I was out of the country I was told it was illegal for me to walk around without my passport. I didnt complain. That was the law in that country from what I was told and I was happy to abide by it. And people around here that walk around without any ID are called homeless people.

And if I was outside of my own country...I would carry my passport.

But inside my own country...I don't have to carry a damn thing...and I often don't.

I go on jogs, walks, bike rides...and never carry any identification.

It is said that you think I should be detained in America for doing so.

So you think it is ok for someone from another country to not carry their papers? But you think it is ok that you or I should have to when were in another country?

You support preferential treatment of illegals. Just so were clear on that.

Wow...you don't follow conversations very well...do you?

We weren't talking about somoene from another country...we were talking about American citizens having to carry "papers" in their own damn country.

You said you were willing to do it...I said I wasn't...you are somehow justifying it by saying you have to carry a passport when in another country.

Go back...and read the conversation slowly...then think about what you just posted and see if you can find your logic mistake.

Which brings us to your latest post....I REALLY shouldn't have to do this...you should be aware what you said just a few hours ago.

It is very difficult to have a conversation with you, like I have said in previous threads, because you forget what you say, you don't comprehend the convseration, and you make up facts as you go along.

Please...Please...Please...go back and read our conversation...slowly...multiple times...and try to see your flaws.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wolf321
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

The ruling prohibits the law enforcement from asking for papers from any foreigner, legal or otherwise. The only exception is if such a person is caught or suspected of an committing a crime other than illegal entry into the US.

Ummm...yes...as it should be.

Otherwise it would give law enforcement the ability to go up to anyone and ask for their "papers"....even US citizens. And if you couldn't prove to their satisfaction that you are "legal" (in your own country), you could be detained for that.

Nothing has changed...it is all current state...I don't get where you think that this makes it so no foreigner or immigrant no longer has to carry their documentation.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by babybunnies
You SHOULD have to provide ID if you're simply taking a walk and are in the country illegally.

This is where the fine line is. The police should be able to stop anyone, at any time, and ask for ID, they can in many other "non fascist" countries.

I disagree that cops should be able to stop anyone, anytime and ask for ID. I think only in the suspected commission of a crime should a person be required to provide ID.

There is another thread about a gentleman carrying a weapon openly being stopped and asked for ID. Without suspicion of a crime, and openly carrying a weapon (not brandishing) is a legal right in many states, there is no need to stop or request ID.

In the case of illegals being stopped or asked for ID, the fine line comes where they would need to define the qualifications for being suspected of being illegal. I imagine they have written guidance on what makes a person suspicious of drug or alcohol use, so one for being illegally in the US shouldn't be hard.

The Arizona law did not seem to put any imposition on US citizens. I had not heard of any cases after its approval of US citizens being detained.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by babybunnies

Usually, in those countries, the people that get in the most trouble when asked for ID are .... AMERICANS.

Wow...really???

So you think that I, as a US citizen...born here as a US citizen to US citizen parents...that I should have my "papers" just to take a walk down my street.

That is truly sad that you think that.

link   

And where would you get that. This whole thread has been about illegal immigrants. Why would we deport citizens? You have to be kidding me. I didnt realize this thread was about the US deporting its own citizens. My god.. I have been completely off base then. Then I completely agree with you. We should let the Legal citizens stay in the States.

Must you try to turn everything around to suit your needs? Stop being such a child. You knew damn well what I meant. Grow up.

*sigh*

Ok...let me quote your own comments again to refresh your memory of our conversation.

And as a Citizen of the USA, I will gladly carry around paperwork proving I am a citizen and show it every time I get pulled over. I am proud to be from the USA. They are welcome to look up my citizenship status if it means everyone else they pull over gets the same.

And I as a Citizen of the USA will proudly walk around with zero identification because I am FREE to do so.

It is sad you are so willing to be bound by paper to be able to be "free".

You know what? When I was out of the country I was told it was illegal for me to walk around without my passport. I didnt complain. That was the law in that country from what I was told and I was happy to abide by it. And people around here that walk around without any ID are called homeless people.

And if I was outside of my own country...I would carry my passport.

But inside my own country...I don't have to carry a damn thing...and I often don't.

I go on jogs, walks, bike rides...and never carry any identification.

It is said that you think I should be detained in America for doing so.

So you think it is ok for someone from another country to not carry their papers? But you think it is ok that you or I should have to when were in another country?

You support preferential treatment of illegals. Just so were clear on that.

Wow...you don't follow conversations very well...do you?

We weren't talking about somoene from another country...we were talking about American citizens having to carry "papers" in their own damn country.

You said you were willing to do it...I said I wasn't...you are somehow justifying it by saying you have to carry a passport when in another country.

Go back...and read the conversation slowly...then think about what you just posted and see if you can find your logic mistake.

Which brings us to your latest post....I REALLY shouldn't have to do this...you should be aware what you said just a few hours ago.

It is very difficult to have a conversation with you, like I have said in previous threads, because you forget what you say, you don't comprehend the convseration, and you make up facts as you go along.

Please...Please...Please...go back and read our conversation...slowly...multiple times...and try to see your flaws.

Thank you for proving my point. Every one of those conversations was in regard to why I think that people in this country should not be surprised if they are required to carry some kind of ID. But thanks for going to all that trouble for me. Again. You knew what I meant. I see no reason that someone from another country should not have to carry ID one them and that includes someone that might have immigrated. I am glad you spent all that time though so I didnt have to. I get kind of tired having to talk in circles with you.

link   
Wow some of the lasts few posts in this thread are just tragic.

In the US a cop does not or is supposed to not be able to just stop you in the middle of what ever you're doing and ask you for ID. That is a police state, that is Fascist, that is what Nazi's did.

If you are driving your car, trying to buy cigarettes or alcohol get into a night club or strip club or open a bank account etc... then it's okay to be asked for ID. These things are privileges and not rights. In the US you should not have to produce ID for anything that is a right. That is what being an open and free society affords us, you start chipping away at those and you are on a slippery slope.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by DerekJR321

So TPTB think they can tell AZ how to deal with ILLEGAL immigration, yet they do absolutely NOTHING about it.

Oh great...someone who hasn't read the thread and is going to try to claim the government has done absolutely nothing about illegal immigration.

Others have made the claim...and others have been proven wrong.

Go back and read the thread please...you will find your answers there.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

If I CHOOSE to engage in my privledge of driving...I have to have a license to do so. If I CHOOSE to open a bank account...I need to identify who I am to the private organization...same with gym or video rental.

Immigration is a priviledge not a right some people don't get it.

Howerver...I shouldn't have to CHOOSE if I simply want to take a walk unless I can somehow prove who I am, and if I am supposed to be here.

Do you live in Arizona?

It's crazy to me that you are openly advocating to live in a restrictive police state where you have to prove you are free before you do ANYTHING.

Hardly a police state nice exaggeration.

I swear I have heard you ranting about freedom before...I guess you don't care about that anymore. I guess hate overrides freedom...it is a very powerful emotion.

Yeah what about the freedom of legal Americans who do not workbecause someone who should not be here stole their jobs, and who have been murdered by the mass illegal immigration of people who just don't care to follow the law.

What about those freedoms?

Goes back to use the law to break the law, and all in the name of false morality.

edit on 25-6-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

Ask any Cop anywhere. All Americans are required by Law to have proper identification on them at all times.

But Illegals don't?

What The F**k ?

No, they aren't.

If cops think that...then they are ignorant of the law.

About half the states have "stop and identify" laws...all that requires is that you give the officer your name and in some cases your address. You don't have to provide any "papers" at all...and you can't be charged with anything for simply not having "papers" on you.

If you are driving..you are required to have a valid drivers license...this includes "illegals" too.

I really wish people knew the law of their own country.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Poor immigrants. They are just trying to get a better life, and provide for their families. Right?

Ask Rubio

"Many people who come here illegally are doing exactly what we would do if we lived in a country where we couldn't feed our families," Rubio writes in his book, which went on sale Tuesday. "If my kids went to sleep hungry every night and my country didn't give me an opportunity to feed them, there isn't a law, no matter how restrictive, that would prevent me from coming here."

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Again. You knew what I meant.

NO...I didn't know what you meant.

I think what you write down in your posts is what you mean...not that you write one thing...but I should just know you mean something else. Seriously???

I see no reason that someone from another country should not have to carry ID one them and that includes someone that might have immigrated. I am glad you spent all that time though so I didnt have to. I get kind of tired having to talk in circles with you.

*sigh*....back to your original comment.

You are advocating that citizens of the USA should have to carry around "papers" in their own damn country to prove they are free to be in their own damn country.

Justify that please.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Otherwise it would give law enforcement the ability to go up to anyone and ask for their "papers"....even US citizens. And if you couldn't prove to their satisfaction that you are "legal" (in your own country), you could be detained for that.

The only people who cannot prove their legal status are illegals. If you are a legal resident, legally visiting foreigner or US citizen, you will have identification on you, or a way to prove yourself legal with no effort. As a us citizen, you would not likely be exhibiting signs to cause suspicion on your legal status, as race is not a factor in the matter.

Nothing has changed...it is all current state...I don't get where you think that this makes it so no foreigner or immigrant no longer has to carry their documentation.

If a cop cannot ask for papers from a suspected foreigner, then in practice they never need to have papers on them. The ability for law enforcement to ask for identification only impacts illegals who don't have it to begin with, not US citizens or legal residents and legally visiting foreigners.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Immigration is a priviledge not a right some people don't get it.

For craps sake...and as a US citizen...should I have to always carry around my proper paper work to prove to the Gestapo that I am a US citizen???

Do you live in Arizona?

I'm a US citizen...I can go wherever the hell I want in the United States. I might just go to Arizona and leave my ID in the hotel and walk around just because I can.

I may even go up and ask a cop if I need an ID to walk around.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Wolf321

Well the way it's supposed to work in this country is that, you aren't stopped or asked for anything unless you are doing something you should not be. I am supposed to be able to walk down a street without a cop pulling over and asking me what I'm doing or asking me for ID.

A cop is not supposed to stop visitors to this country either, for no apparent reason. If a visitor should happen to walking down the street throwing rocks at people then sure stop them and ask for ID and arrest them, once arrested is usually when LE finds out they're visitors or illegal. As it has always been and how it should remain.
edit on 25-6-2012 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Wolf321

The only people who cannot prove their legal status are illegals.

I'm only required by law to give a police officer my name...how is he going to prove I am legal with that information???

If you are a legal resident, legally visiting foreigner or US citizen, you will have identification on you, or a way to prove yourself legal with no effort. As a us citizen, you would not likely be exhibiting signs to cause suspicion on your legal status, as race is not a factor in the matter.

Why do you assume I will have identification on me...I often don't.

And why should I, as a US citizen, HAVE to prove that I have a right to be in my own country???

Do you not see the problem with this???

If a cop cannot ask for papers from a suspected foreigner, then in practice they never need to have papers on them. The ability for law enforcement to ask for identification only impacts illegals who don't have it to begin with, not US citizens or legal residents and legally visiting foreigners.

They can, always have been able to...nothing has changed. But they can only do this once the person is in their custody for committing another crime. They can't just walk up to someone for looking "foreign" and demand to see their papers.

Honestly...is that the kind of country you want to live in???

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Oh great...someone who hasn't read the thread and is going to try to claim the government has done absolutely nothing about illegal immigration.

Others have made the claim...and others have been proven wrong.

Go back and read the thread please...you will find your answers there.

What exactly have they done to curb the tens of millions of illegal immigrants entering this country? I've read the thread. How has the United States Government, specifically ICE done a single thing to secure our borders? Why are people who enter this country ILLEGALLY allowed to do so whenever they please. And given benefits on top of it. Food stamps, welfare, free health care, housing allowances, etc.

There comes a time when you either have to put up or shut up. This country either needs to ENFORCE their immigration policies, or just completely open the borders. End of discussion.

And for the people talking about police asking for ID. Umm.. every single time I've ever been approached by a police officer, I have been asked for ID.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kali74
Well the way it's supposed to work in this country is that, you aren't stopped or asked for anything unless you are doing something you should not be. I am supposed to be able to walk down a street without a cop pulling over and asking me what I'm doing or asking me for ID.

I agree that as a citizen that is the case, as it should be.

A cop is not supposed to stop visitors to this country either, for no apparent reason.

I disagree here. I don't think that visitors or non-citizens should have the same legal rights of a US citizen. If this were the case then they could vote, run for office etc.

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join