It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Hello! :D Long time lurker, ready to submit a post.

page: 2
3
<< 1   >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Hi , and welcome to the Introductions Forum of the ATS community. For now you can reply to any thread in any member forum you wish, as well as send & receive (PM's) Private Messages to Staff only. Once you have achieved 20 posts, you will then be able to start your own threads and additionally send & receive messages to and from fellow ATS members.

General ATS Discussion Etiquette.

Index of Important ATS Related Threads

New Rules for Avatars and Mini-ProfileBackgrounds

Hey new members!! Come here if you need advice

Starting a New Thread ?... Look Here First

ATS Video Tutorials

Signature Guidelines

Terms & Conditions

Take some time to look around and orient yourself.

~Tenth
ATS Moderator




posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Like his addiction to vinyl, He was addicted to it because he felt good from it. People misunderstand how for some people they've known sadness and pain for so long that they forget what happiness feels like. Which is what causes addiction because to forget what happiness is, and to experience it and feel good after so long that they become addicted to it, because they forget that they were once able to feel that way, Without succumbing to getting a new vinly record and its possible to feel happy again without buying a new one.

Not having hope is detrimental, The things that we become addicted to are meant to remind the person that peace and relief does exist without what reminds us. Addiction has a ton to do with personality, No matter what they're addicted to they are addicted because they've attained the knowledge that it IS possible to feel relief But those who misunderstand why that knowledge are the ones who can't break free from it.

Addiction is literally misunderstanding of that relief, No matter what they were addicted to, wether it be drugs or buying vinly records



posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by raccooncoveredinglue
 


mine is borne out of PTSD, I know and understand it..

most people don't realize that what they see from addiction or some other behavior which can hurt us is that there is an underlying cause and what they are seeing is the affect while they think it is causal..

get my drift?



posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   

edit on 25-6-2012 by raccooncoveredinglue because: (no reason given)



posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   

edit on 25-6-2012 by raccooncoveredinglue because: (no reason given)



posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by raccooncoveredinglue
Like his addiction to vinyl, He was addicted to it because he felt good from it. People misunderstand how for some people they've known sadness and pain for so long that they forget what happiness feels like. Which is what causes addiction because to forget what happiness is, and to experience it and feel good after so long that they become addicted to it, because they forget that they were once able to feel that way, Without succumbing to getting a new vinly record and its possible to feel happy again without buying a new one.

Not having hope is detrimental, The things that we become addicted to are meant to remind the person that peace and relief does exist without what reminds us. Addiction has a ton to do with personality, No matter what they're addicted to they are addicted because they've attained the knowledge that it IS possible to feel relief But those who misunderstand why that knowledge are the ones who can't break free from it.

Addiction is literally misunderstanding of that relief, No matter what they were addicted to, wether it be drugs or buying vinly records





Not having hope is detrimental,


I coundn't agree with you more. I argued for months with a court ordered counselor that telling someone that they will never get over that addiction. I had the last laugh because the profession changed thier stance on addiction halfway through our secession. I think most counselors and psycharists are blinded by their education instead of picking up that education and improve it with their experience. I see most just follow the doctrine!



posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Exactly the point I'm attempting to get across! :]

Personally at one point I deep down knew that, I just wasn't completely aware of it and couldn't put it into words.

Did something similar happen for you? Or did you always have the words for it



posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by raccooncoveredinglue
Exactly the point I'm attempting to get across! :]

Personally at one point I deep down knew that, I just wasn't completely aware of it and couldn't put it into words.

Did something similar happen for you? Or did you always have the words for it


I can't explain it... I just knew....I will always try to listen to my gut before my mind. I think it comes from not trusting anyone since I was a child. This what was akin to taking the "blue pill" when I was 10-11. ( just a reference from "The Matrix")

I think and believe that when a younger person s trust is violated they end up taking off the "rosy glasses" that we look through and view the world.

I know that is why blind trust violates my sense of being.



posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Counselors who haven't experienced addiction, wont ever truly understand it. The counselors who havn't even ever done a drug wont will lack understanding of it. That doesn't mean they can't help people cause they will understand it more because of the schooling. But that wasn't enough for me, Everyone in rehab never experienced it and the materials they used were probably written by someone who never experienced it. In order to get 100% understanding of something you have to have it happen personally but someone who's never experienced it can still get a 99.9% understanding of it, but that's harder than majority bother to try to. The ones I dealt with didn't understand it enough to help me unfortunately.
edit on 25-6-2012 by raccooncoveredinglue because: (no reason given)



posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by fnpmitchreturns
 


I think that knowing but unable to explain something is just partial understanding of it, we have the intuition and emotional understanding of it, but don't have the current logic of it to put it into words.

Just like how we can know something, But have it be meaningless because we have the logic of it, have the words of it just don't feel it because we lack the emotional part to understanding it.

Which is why some people believe the earth isn't round, they logically have heard the knowledge that the earth is round but they lack the emotional understanding of it, they dont feel it, so they personally chose to think otherwise despite all the proof that its round and that lack of either emotional/logical understanding can cause misunderstanding because they tend to balance eachother out.
edit on 25-6-2012 by raccooncoveredinglue because: (no reason given)



posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   
what kind of industries have you work?

Because of my ptsd I could never find a job to suit me so I have tried many occupations



posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by fnpmitchreturns
 


Because of the things that I dealt with, Holding a job wasn't possible for me. I just wasn't ready for it.

But now that I feel like I'm ready and am capable of holding one, I'm going into the computer field


I got accepted into a program that pays for everything, I don't pay a dime so I have nothing to lose which is awesome because now I'm not gonna be scared of failing or worry about it :] Just going to do my best.



posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by raccooncoveredinglue
 


glad to hear that ... I was hurt on a job and had to retoll myself by going to college but I eneded up circling back into construction type work on foreclosed homes. But my college 2 years at community college and 2 at Radford University and got a communications degree.

but my issues like yours are hard to deal with. I know I had ADHD before they even knew what it was but now they would classify me as ODD Oppositional defiance disorder since I rebel against any authority






posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by raccooncoveredinglue
reply to post by fnpmitchreturns
 


I think that knowing but unable to explain something is just partial understanding of it, we have the intuition and emotional understanding of it, but don't have the current logic of it to put it into words.

Just like how we can know something, But have it be meaningless because we have the logic of it, have the words of it just don't feel it because we lack the emotional part to understanding it.

Which is why some people believe the earth isn't round, they logically have heard the knowledge that the earth is round but they lack the emotional understanding of it, they dont feel it, so they personally chose to think otherwise despite all the proof that its round and that lack of either emotional/logical understanding can cause misunderstanding because they tend to balance eachother out.
edit on 25-6-2012 by raccooncoveredinglue because: (no reason given)


I have this theory ... you'll like this (I think)

Have you ever heard of the placebo effect? This where during drug trial that a person get better when given a placebo. The power of the mind makse the body heal. I find it very interesting.

I believe the placebo effect goes all the way to the pshche. That this why people who have strong convictions about something blindly believe even in the face of facts and reality. I see this trhoughout our our society and it is clearly evident in politics and religion.

What do you think?



posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by raccooncoveredinglue
 


Hello and wecome



posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Welcome... good luck.... enjoy....





posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by raccooncoveredinglue
 


Welcome to ATS friend



posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Welcome to ATS.


I was also a long-time lurker, and recently joined. Haven't regretted it for a second!



posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   
*Closing Thread*

Review the TERMS & CONDITIONS of your membership

16e.) Illicit Activity: Discussion of illicit activities, specifically the use of mind-altering drugs & substances, engaging in computer hacking, promoting criminal hate, discussing sexual relations with minors, and furtherance of financial schemes and scams are strictly forbidden. You will also not link to sites or online content that contains discussion or advocacy of such material. Any Post mentioning or advocating personal use of illicit mind-altering drugs will result in immediate account termination.

i) Narcotics and illicit mind-altering substances: Due to abuse of the subject matter by some (promoting various aspects of personal use, and discussing actual personal use), no new topics on this subject are allowed in any form.



new topics

top topics



 
3
<< 1   >>

log in

join