It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Most Americans oppose health law but like provisions

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   

www.reuters.com...

Most Americans oppose President Barack Obama's healthcare reform even though they strongly support most of its provisions, a Reuters/Ipsos poll showed on Sunday, with the Supreme Court set to rule within days on whether the law should stand.

Fifty-six percent of people are against the healthcare overhaul and 44 percent favor it, according to the online poll conducted from Tuesday through Saturday.
Support for the provisions of the healthcare law was strong, with a full 82 percent of survey respondents, for example, favoring banning insurance companies from denying coverage to people with pre-existing conditions.

Sixty-one percent are in favor of allowing children to stay on their parents' insurance until age 26 and 72 percent back requiring companies with more than 50 employees to provide insurance for their employees.

If you ever wondered what a successful dis-information campaign looks like...here is a prime example.

So even though people over-whelmingly support most of the provisions of the health care bill....they still oppose the law. I would hope while people are taking these polls that declare they oppose the healthcare bill at the start of the poll, and then find themselves supporting provision after provision in the bill...that hopefully they realize that maybe they really don't oppose the health care bill.

This is like someone saying "I hate Mexican food"...and then agreeing that they actually love Tacos, and Enchiladas, and Chicken Mole, and Salsa, and Guacamole, and Burritos, and Tamales, and Refried Beans, and Carnitas. And after saying they like all those Mexican foods still saying "But yeah...I hate Mexican food".

It makes no sense to me...I can't make logical sense out of it. It is sad to say that I am left to believe that these people have just been brainwashed to think that they are supposed to hate this healthcare law. Even thought they agree with most of it and think they are all good ideas...they can't admit that they like the law...because they have been told over and over that they are supposed to hate this bill. So they do hate it...they just aren't sure why.

This is why I really don't think Obama can lose no matter what the SCOTUS decision is...because people really support the individual provisions of the healthcare bill. And if those provisions are taken away from them...they are going to be a bit angry at the people that caused those provisions to be taken away.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 12:03 AM
link   
I don't support any of these provisions.

I think it's funny that they say health insurance companies are "allowed" to keep children up to 26 years old on. What they mean is "forced." Of course, the companies should be allowed do, but they shouldn't be forced by the government to. I also think that companies should pretty much be allowed to do what they want, and if people don't like it then they keep shopping. I do understand there are laws in place that limit the choices that people have, though. I don't support these laws either though =/

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher
banning insurance companies from denying coverage to people with pre-existing conditions.

Say what? Thats retarded and defeats the whole point of "insurance".
Whats next, drivers with no car insurance having accidents and only then phoning an insurance company to be covered?

If its forced to happen, it'll just push up the policy prices for the rest of the population.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

Also, a company with 50 employees is tiny. Good way to be "for mainstreet and small business."
edit on 25-6-2012 by Mr Headshot because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 12:32 AM
link   

I support most of those provisions. I don't support the law. You have to understand (may be hard for you) that those provisions are a tiny.. tiny.. TINY portion of the law, which is nearly 3,000 pages long. The vast majority of the bill increase costs for everyone, deal with privacy violations, deal with massive over regulation, and worst of all.. forces Americans to purchase under threat of fines a product from a private corporations.

[snip] you might be able to look at 1 or 2 good things and think it's all just peachy. To most people we see it for what it is. A few good things wrapped into a package of @#$!.
edit on 25/6/12 by masqua because: Edited personal attack

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr Headshot

You are free to believe whatever you like.

This thread is highlighting that most Americans support the provisions, but for some reason oppose the law.

And it is all due to the massive Republican dis-information campaign they waged against the health care law.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 03:32 AM
link   

Or it's because the law sucks, and just because the Dems forced it down our throats doesn't mean we accept it? 1 good idea in the mix of a hundred piss poor ideas does not make for a good bill.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 05:10 AM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

or maybe it's like, well...

you have someone over here that has this condition, insured under his employer. but well times are tough and his employer is forced to lay off some of his employees, so this guy finds himself without a job, an unemployment check that is barely enough to cover his bills, and well, if he wants to keep his insurance, he is now gonna have to foot the whole cost of the policy. so he drops the policy deeming food and shelter as more important.
he now has a preexisting condition with no insurance........

I like the provision, but I don't like obamacare. it does nothing to bring the cost of healthcare down to an affordable level, it only tries to force us all, individuals, businesses, as well as the taxpayers to pay up or else!!!

so, my imaginary guy would have to chose the insurance, no matter the cost, over the food and shelter. and without the food or shelter, it is much more likely that he will be needing a few visit to the healthcare establishment rather soon..

you can't get blood out of a rock!!! and that is what obamacare seems to be trying to do!

and having a hostage consumer base that is force to buy your product is only gonna serve to drive that cost higher, I mean why not?? I can charge whatever I want, and everyone is gonna scramble to pay me the money, and it they can't come up with it, then the gov't is gonna have to just increase taxes and help the people pay the money!!!

no one but the very rich can afford to pay for their healthcare if the worse happens!!! so we have what is basically a ponzi scheme that the gov't is trying to force us into taking part in. many of us, even after the insurance is obatained won't have the means to pay the deductable and out of pocket expense to have the treatment if we need it anyways...we are just wasting our money, helping others, more able financially than us, to obatain their healthcare.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 06:43 AM
link   

I must not be a part of "most Americans" then.
Because I neither support the law or its provisions.

Health care is not the responsibility of gov't.

It's the responsibility of the citizens to take care of themselves.
So if that means they have to sacrifice their LCD TV to pay for coverage, so be it.
Or if the cable and/or internet is more important than healthcare, it validates my point.
Or the $100 cell phone bill.

Whatever.
If those things are more important than coverage, then people have their priorities in a jumble.
(and I completely understand the conspiracy against insurance/Big pharma too)

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   
I support a few provisions of the law and reject the rest. I can't afford to buy insurance and my wife can't afford to put me on hers. I am not going to pay for healthcare. But if it is free I will take it. Some small parts of the law were needed due to past horror. Pre existing conditions should not keep one from getting insurance. Everyone making less than $30,000 a year should have medicaid. I should have medicaid. I don't. Do not qualify for some reason. I did once, but then they tired to sue me for child support for the kids I had custody of. Then they were going to go after their "mother" and she is/was nothing but a drunken pillbilly who can not afford her next fix. So my kids grew up without medical care. That sort of thing needs to be stopped.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

The vast majority of the bill increase costs for everyone, deal with privacy violations, deal with massive over regulation

Would you like to point out all of those.

It should be easy since it is the "vast majority of the bill".

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Government: "Here, allow me to give you a large bowl of ice cream with sprinkles, fudge sauce, nuts, marshmallow fluff, whipped cream, and a marchino cherry on top."
Citizen: "Ooh, I love ice cream, sprinkles, fudge sauce, nuts, marshmallow fluff, whipped cream, and marchino cherries! Thank you so much!!!"
Government: "Now all I need you to do is bend over and provide a good target for this boot I'm about to kick you squarely in the ass with."
Citizen: "Alri...Wait, what?"
Government: "One of the provisions of getting this delicious sundae is that you recieve a powerfull kick to the ass."
Citizen: "I don't like that at all!"
Government: "But you, yourself stated how much you love ice cream, sprinkles, fudge sauce, nuts, marshmallow fluff, whipped cream, and marchino cherries, sir."
Citizen: "True enough, but I strongly dislike getting kicked in the ass."
Government: "So, do you want the sundae, or don't you."
Citzien: "Yeah, you know, I think I will pass on the sundae and also pass on the kick to the ass. Thanks, but no thanks."

Make sense now?

This applies to a lot more than just health care and ice cream. You could encounter the hottest woman you've ever seen in your life, have her eating out of the palm of your hand and worshipping the ground you walk on, but if you found out she had an STD it would be a deal breaker for most. I enjoy the hell out of Thai food, but it gives me heinous gas, thus I no longer eat Thai food. Your logic is faulty in this situation. Just because there are more "acceptable" provisions in Obamacare than unpopular provisions according to a poll, doesn't tell us exactly how adamantly against those unpopular provisions the average American is.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
This makes complete sense to me. I don't see it as disinfo at all.

Of course most Americans are going to like the provisions. The provisions are generally in favor of the insured, not the insurance company.

The one aspect which most Americans dislike (61%) is the mandate. Which low and behold favors the insurance companies.

Just another case of wanting the cake after you eat it.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   

And that is what nearly a billion dollar smear campaign complete with Death panels and Micro-chips buys you in the USA.

Give me 500 Million and I can convince the majority of Americans that Smoking is actually good for your health...complete with Doctors on TV telling them so!...well that's been done.

OK...how about you give me 3 Billion and I can convince Americans that 99% of scientists are lying to them and that pollution is good for the envirornment?...hmmm ..been done already?

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by havok

I must not be a part of "most Americans" then.
Because I neither support the law or its provisions.

Health care is not the responsibility of gov't.

It's the responsibility of the citizens to take care of themselves.
So if that means they have to sacrifice their LCD TV to pay for coverage, so be it.
Or if the cable and/or internet is more important than healthcare, it validates my point.
Or the $100 cell phone bill.

Whatever.
If those things are more important than coverage, then people have their priorities in a jumble.
(and I completely understand the conspiracy against insurance/Big pharma too)

If I may also add, that Americans may recognise that change is needed, just not Obama's vision of change.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I think the bottom line is that for MOST Americans it is more of a problem to be forced into purchasing health insurance than it is to have insurer not cover certain things.

Americans seem to cherish the option. There's nothing wrong with that.

Thing is, sans mandate, the ACA really doesn't hold up. The insurance companies aren't going to be happy about the revenue loss and they're going to get it however they can. Either by new restrictions of their own which ACA does not address, or simply by raising premiums again.

It's a no win situation if the mandate is repealed.
It was a no win situation the moment they decided on no public option if you ask me.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher
reply to post by Mr Headshot

You are free to believe whatever you like.

This thread is highlighting that most Americans support the provisions, but for some reason oppose the law.

And it is all due to the massive Republican dis-information campaign they waged against the health care law.

Dont you mean most Americans polled in the sample group? You do know that these kind of polls can be manipulated to get the outcome you desire, right?

Ahh.. and yes.. Make sure and blame the Republicans for getting the truth out there. Thank you for that Plug. Mitt Romney appreciates it.

Answer me this. If this new health care is so great (and its not) why is it that Congress is exempt from it?

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
We just need to incorporate socialized medicine under the governments control like Canada, England and many other countries do. Medicine is not supposed to be a part of greedy capitalism. Extreme profiting off of peoples sickness is occurring. That is not true medicine.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Meh, we had a healthcare system in place that worked, with the option of being free, or at the level you could afford to pay. It worked. But the Obamacare is going to cost us more, so no, I don't want it, thank you. And for a bit of understanding, I'm talking about Louisiana, a state that voted 80% against Obama, this last election cycle.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by TheTardis

Answer me this. If this new health care is so great (and its not) why is it that Congress is exempt from it?

Are you ever going to learn to research things before posting them???

factcheck.org...

www.whitehouse.gov...

www.politifact.com...

Please don't try to tell me you don't listent to right wing media...all you do is parrot their lies.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join