It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Food stamps should not be used for junk food

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Infi8nity

All laws are broken..... that does not mean they should not be.

Depends on the law in question.. but something like this I don't think would fly for many reasons.. the cost to implement might make it not worth it .. probably won't stop it in the first place.. and as I said, you know very well that companies such as Con Agra would not sit back and allow that to happen in the first place.. and we all know our government is very very open to what those lobbyists have to say since it usually comes with a hefty campaign contribution in the end.
edit on 6/24/2012 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I wonder what the United states will do with its masses of homeless and Tent City residents when the country collapses. Will they end up like jews in nazi Germany? It seems like they will.

America is a terrible place. It scares the hell out of me.

Healthy food is more expensive, like some people have pointed out. Low-socioeconomic families often have poor life skills. Many low-socioeconomic families do not know what a healthy diet is. It is not their fault.

edit on 24-6-2012 by Germanicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by synnergy
Nutritious food is expensive, Junk food happens to cost less and is smeared all over the groceries stores.
This woman should be spending her stamps on healthier food for her children, no doubt.
If you had seen her hand cash out to pay would you have been so upset?

They are changing now what is being sold in fast food companies. I think it will be just a matter of time when they regulate what's in our stores. We All need to eat better.

no its not... you just have to know how to shop.
Most people have been buying this crap all their life because it has been advertized to them all their life. Its all they know, look around the store and find deals. I do it and get by just fine. I do not have a drop of GMO food in fridge and its all payed for on a collage budget.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by TedHodgson
reply to post by Thunder heart woman

Is it really possible to live off a healthy, nutritious, varied and above all expensive diet on food stamps?

Last time i checked a bottle of Natural finest orange soda was AT LEAST thrice the price of the Junk equivalent.

I'm not on food stamps and my family can eat healthy on $125.00 a week. No one needs so much soda to the point where you are filling up your cart with nothing but cases of it. Learn to drink water some times. Brew your own tea. I refuse to eat crap, just because crap is so much more affordable.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Infi8nity

Come to think of it I wonder if you get more food stamp value if you are terminally ill?

If that's the case people should deliberately contract something nasty so they can nibble Foie gras and practice synchronized swimming in a warm pool of Kopi luwak all paid for by food stamps!

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Please remember that a lot of people buy all their food stamp food once a month as they get food stamps once a month. They also could have a lot more kids than came with them. How much junkfood do you eat in a month? Michigan recently expanded food stamps to be usable at fast food joints...but only if you have kids. Wtf?

Anyway i agree with you. But remember these are gods chosen people and they are entitled to free money from the government, paid for by you.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by miniatus

Originally posted by Infi8nity

All laws are broken..... that does not mean they should not be.

Depends on the law in question.. but something like this I don't think would fly for many reasons.. the cost to implement might make it not worth it .. probably won't stop it in the first place.. and as I said, you know very well that companies such as Con Agra would not sit back and allow that to happen in the first place.. and we all know our government is very very open to what those lobbyists have to say since it usually comes with a hefty campaign contribution in the end.
edit on 6/24/2012 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

Your right about that, I like disusing these type of topics and only wish that people would make these choices on their own. I do not believe that the Government should nanny us even though they put us in a position to be treated like children, not all the blame is on them though. I have no hope for this country and nor do the politicians. We all have some idea where this country is heading and it does not look good.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   
My neighbor is on food stamps. She had a bout with drug addiction and is getting back on track.

She actually doesn't understand good nutrition. I'm not kidding. She actually thinks if the kids don't eat a bag of Doritos and eat MickeyD's they had a good meal.

Who do we blame? The government or her welfare worker if it doesn't say WIC approved?(That's a California label to teach welfare recipiants what is good for you. WIC aproved)

Out of ALL food items you can buy at a market or grocery store,milk,eggs and vegetables are still the cheapest items at the store to buy, including toilet paper.

AND? I'm one of the most sarcastic cynical members of ATS.

But? Rice, Pasta, and FRESH vegetables are STILL a way of life we have here in the States at an affordable cost. (For how long?) RICE,PASTA,MILK,VEGETABLES

And I thank anyone including God, for still making that available to us as a poopulation. (Grammar intact)

Ding Dongs and Lobster?
Some politician will decide the difference,and what you can buy, while he buys stock in companies that we commoners can't buy before the price is inflated. (Anywhere but government employees? It's called insider trading) (Can you spell Congressional Perk?)

That's a reason you go into politics.
Give your family inside info legally, and tell others how to eat,while you pay yourself to mandate,and get a GREAT retirement and medical pension.

Ding Dongs or Lobster?

My neighbor only knows it was free, and she wanted to help her family.
She's sorry she got addicted to drugs.

And her kids hate vegies.

Make the kids happy, buy some ding dongs, feel sorry for yourself, and buy whatever the gov says you can on THEIR dime.

Not cool, but understandable.

I'm glad I can pay my way for the other half . And I want to.

And NO SOUP FOR YOU!

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by phroziac
Please remember that a lot of people buy all their food stamp food once a month as they get food stamps once a month. They also could have a lot more kids than came with them. How much junkfood do you eat in a month? Michigan recently expanded food stamps to be usable at fast food joints...but only if you have kids. Wtf?

Anyway i agree with you. But remember these are gods chosen people and they are entitled to free money from the government, paid for by you.

This is hilarious, it was once illegal to buy fast food but now its not? I wonder if McDonald or any others had any thing to do with it. Maybe they wear not bringing in enough customers in Michigan

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   

I imagine a lot of people don't have a choice, Many know nothing of nutrition nor how to make awesome meals out of healthy ingredients, their only choice may be food of convenience or Junk food to get by.

It's sad to say that many people just have no idea how to live healthy

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Come to think of it I wonder if you get more food stamp value if you are terminally ill?

If that's the case people should deliberately contract something nasty so they can nibble Foie gras and practice synchronized swimming in a warm pool of Kopi luwak all paid for by food stamps!

Here in michigan it just goes by number of people and income. Im not sure if thry take age of kids into account though. I used to get the maximum amount allowed in 09 and it was like 300 a month. Just for me. Its honestly kind of a lot and encourages unhealthy choices if you ask me.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by AQuestion

Dear Thunder heart woman,

While I may agree with you that the woman should feed her family better quality food, I completely disagree with your reasoning. It is not because she is on food stamps that she should feed her children better, it is because it is best for her and her family. Lets say the woman was not on food stamps, would you think it was okay to feed her kids junk food. My guess is you would probably feel the same; but, because it is food stamps you seek to control her actions and choices.

When I still had my house, I had a number of homeless people living with me. Three of them were sort of a family, two adults and a child. They were on food stamps and I hated their choices of food. They were welcome to eat my food (fairly healthy and home cooked); but, preferred to eat what I considered junk food. It was their money and their choice.

If we choose to help people, we don't have to take away their choices. We run a food bank for the homeless and to tell you the truth, any food I can get for them is good. Sometimes we may get some cakes or soda and I will give it out, not because it is the best thing they could eat; but, because it is what we could get.

Even if she wasn't on food stamps, yes, I would be upset seeing all of that horrible food being fed to those kids.
My husband is a baker at our local grocer and he has told me about the type of day old food that the food banks will pick up for people. One time, they asked him if they could take a big bag of sweet rolls that was 4 days old to pass out. He warned them that they had gone rock hard and was no longer selling quality. Yet they took them anyway. I don't want to get going on the quality of food they pass out. It bothers me. He has taken to throwing out the awful foods before the food bank gets there, and leaving them more quality food, just because his conscience can't handle knowing that people are eating bad food.

We need to start helping our homeless and others who come to the food bank with healthier foods, and starting up co op gardens. My husband and I are going to donate a good deal of our garden to the food bank because we both hate seeing people eat nothing but junk.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by TedHodgson

Considering what I've seen some people do with food stamps? They can eat better than most families. Got one friend who is only minimally frugal in her grocery spending, with 3 kids, choosing more healthy options? They spend about 2/3rds of their EBT.

WIC, on the other hand, gives you a check with a list of things you have to get to use it, sometimes down to brand.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   

I imagine a lot of people don't have a choice, Many know nothing of nutrition nor how to make awesome meals out of healthy ingredients, their only choice may be food of convenience or Junk food to get by.

It's sad to say that many people just have no idea how to live healthy

When my daughter was a baby, I got on WIC. When I signed up, I had to take a one hour mandatory class on proper nutrition before I could even get the WIC! Why can't we do the same for food stamps?

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by phroziac

Here in michigan it just goes by number of people and income. Im not sure if thry take age of kids into account though. I used to get the maximum amount allowed in 09 and it was like 300 a month. Just for me. Its honestly kind of a lot and encourages unhealthy choices if you ask me.

Is 300= to 300 dollars?

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Hate to break it to you, but every place in the U.S. is not the same. Some places, like where i live, only have 2 food stores. Because there isnt much competition, they can charge what they want. Meat products for example, are costly here. Wheat bread costs more than white. Some fresh veggies keep going up in price, so I have to buy mixed frozen. Thats why I make a point to buy lots of rice, beans, potatoes, onions, veggies. And look for recipes.

Are you buying for just yourself? Try cooking for 3 kids, brother and husband. They want different things to eat.
Thats good that you can eat heathy on a college budget, dont pat yourself to hard, ramen noodles dont count.

edit on 24-6-2012 by synnergy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by AQuestion

We need to start helping our homeless and others who come to the food bank with healthier foods, and starting up co op gardens. My husband and I are going to donate a good deal of our garden to the food bank because we both hate seeing people eat nothing but junk.

What if instead, programs wear set up to teach homeless people how to garden. Not just teach but provide a public land for a large garden. I am sure they would still need to live off of the shelters food but it would be healthier and the food bank would not have to give out as much. The homeless are a gateway to get people behind growing their own food. I think it was in California they have set up a public garden for this reason.
edit on 24-6-2012 by Infi8nity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by synnergy

Hate to break it to you, but every place in the U.S. is not the same. Some places, like where i live, only have 2 food stores. Because there isnt much competition, they can charge what they want. Meat products for example, are costly here. White bread costs more than wheat. Some fresh veggies keep going up in price, so I have to buy mixed frozen. Thats why I make a point to buy lots of rice, beans, potatoes, onions, veggies. And look for recipes.

Are you buying for just yourself? Try cooking for 3 kids, brother and husband. They want different things to eat.
Thats good that you can eat heathy on a college budget, dont pat yourself to hard, ramen noodles dont count.

The stores would have to adapt.

link   

Another thing to think about is if these people are unfit [health wise], obese and needing assistance for food, who do you think is going to have pay for them to go to the hospital?

That's right ..... us, the tax payers.

So, yeah, I say they ought to be limited the amount of "junk food"..... it's not my place or yours to pay for their diabetes treatment. Or their high blood pressure medicine. Or the office visit for that matter.

link   

That's actually the best idea i've heard in ages!

Mandatory healthy eating and cooking lessons for those wishing to receive food stamps!

You M' Lady are a genius.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join