It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japanese "Hydrangea" Revolution: 100,000 Plan To March In Front Of The Prime Minister's House

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   
The revolution has already begun, but as the cliche goes: it will not be televised. It's best not to draw attention to globally relevant disasters that could affect EVERYONE on the planet. It's clear that the Japanese people do not want to continue using disasterous nuclear energy to power their country, but will the government get the message, or just ignore them?

About 20,000 people gathered in front of Japanese Prime Minister Yoshihiko Noda’s residence in Tokyo late Friday to protest his decision to restart two nuclear reactors.

“No to the restart!” shouted the protestors, who were led by investigative journalist Satoshi Kamata and Nobel Prize-winning author Kenzaburo Oe, who started an anti-nuclear petition that has so far gathered more than 7.5 million signatures.

Friday’s protest was the latest sign of unease over the decision which was taken in conjunction with local authorities and despite the fact that Noda had previously vowed not to act without public backing.

Protesters said they would hold another demonstration next week.

“The battle has only just begun”, insisted renowned composer Ryuichi Sakamoto, another leading figure in the anti-nuclear movement.

enenews.com...

www.rt.com...

And fight, they should, before their country is completed destroyed by this disaster and negligent government who wants to continue using nuclear energy.
edit on 24-6-2012 by v1rtu0s0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   
To my Japanese brothers and sisters. I stand with you in symbolic solidarity!

I know this may not mean much of anything but, I sincerely mean it and will be putting the word out back here in the U.S. to draw attention to your struggle.

Hoping for the best and putting out a positive vibe for you

**P.S. OP I starred & flagged you for bringing this to everyone attention. Thank you
!
edit on 24-6-2012 by grubblesnert because: added p.s

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 01:58 AM
link   
It would be great if this eventually takes off everywhere, a la occupy.

AWESOME to see this!

頑張ってね!

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 02:56 AM
link   
This should be happening all over the world, not just in a country that has been devestated by the Nucleur Program. Unfortunatly people wont speak up UNTIL something shakes their lives, instead of trying to prevent it by speaking up now while there is 7.5 million people starting a movement.

I hope this is the start of a path that will lead us to a form of clean energy.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   
I agree this should be happening all over the world. And not just for this issue, all issues, general strikes ,locating, and boycotting all their coprorations that are non essential.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

i believe u are wrong in your title,, it was 250,000+.

bump

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Is That All You’ve Got?

For Perspective…
The Japanese population is 127,451,000
So if…
100k took part then that is one person in every 1274.5 people
And if 250k took part that is 1 person in every 509.804

In comparison…
At the time of the 2003 Iraq War the UK population was just under 60 million.

The British Stop the War Coalition (StWC) held a protest in London which it claimed was the largest political demonstration in the city's history. Police estimated attendance as well in excess of 750,000 people[30] and the BBC estimated that around a million attended.[31] The protest was organised under the slogan "No war on Iraq - freedom for Palestine".
en.wikipedia.org...

If 500k took part then that is one person in every 120
And if 750k took part, then one person in 80

I.e. The Iraq war issue had a level of concern, able to express itself in a Westernised society between 509.804 divide 120 = 4.24 times higher
To 1274.5 divide 80 = 15.93 times higher

Of Course…
More Japanese now oppose nuclear, than the British public ever opposed the Iraq War. However before Fukushima the opposite was the case, meaning that many Japanese who oppose nuclear will not (even despite events) be that strongly against it (I suppose depending on how it’s done).

However as a way of measuring strength of public feeling protest participation is undeniably, a strong measuring tool.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   

And fight, they should, before their country is completed destroyed by this disaster and negligent government who wants to continue using nuclear energy.

What would you rather have the Japanese governemnt do?

Keep Oi closed and let people die of heatstroke over the summer as things get nice and toasty and rolling blackouts occur? Keep on burning dangerous fossil fuels and dumping the waste into the atmosphere for all to breathe, costing the Japanese people billions in fuel costs and extra medical bills, sinking the country further into debt? I believe it's about 100 million dollars in extra fuel costs. Per day.

Or restart some reactors while upgrades and new regulations are being planned? These are not easy decisions that are or ever were taken lightly. The decision is not black and white, good versus evil nonsense like your extremely simplistic, tabloid like view suggests.

Besides, it's likely that the fear of radiation kills far more people than it saves. Over 500 people died evacuating Fukushima. More may die this summer due to power shortages. More will die due to respiratory illness caused by fossil fuel burning.
edit on 15/7/12 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

I agree this should be happening all over the world. And not just for this issue, all issues, general strikes ,locating, and boycotting all their coprorations that are non essential.

All corporations that are non-essential?

Umm, I don't even know how to respond to that.

Sounds like a return to the dark ages to me, because the only thing we need is food and sanitation. Are you going to start boycotting ATS and the internet next? Or the company who provided your computer?

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Japan had LONG survived WITHOUT nuke energy. Hell! It even managed to pay off war debts without it.

Today, the economy of Japan is bigger, customer and production bases more, but then so too does the world today have better alternative energy sources such as coal, solar, wind, etc.

If it is safe for Japan to embark on nuke energy, by all means, BUT it lays on the ring of fire, and with the current climate change the world is experiencing right now, only FOOLS in Japan will still hunger for nuke energy.

Why enjoy a few minutes, hours, or even months, of nuke induced electricity for comfort and profits, when within then, you will have to be evacuated and live in school's basketball court and depend on handouts, IF you survive from radiation fallout and NO precious human lives need to be sacrificed to contained the fallout as in Fukishima???

Glad to see the japanese stand up for once, proving they are no robots. Good Luck! ( You're gonna need it, in the face of the facist corporatist cabals in charge of ruling Japan, whom don't give a damn about human lives other than their own, not even to their own children).
edit on 15-7-2012 by SeekerofTruth101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by C0bzz

What would you rather have the Japanese governemnt do?

Keep Oi closed and let people die of heatstroke over the summer as things get nice and toasty and rolling blackouts occur? Keep on burning dangerous fossil fuels and dumping the waste into the atmosphere for all to breathe, costing the Japanese people billions in fuel costs and extra medical bills, sinking the country further into debt? I believe it's about 100 million dollars in extra fuel costs. Per day.

Or restart some reactors while upgrades and new regulations are being planned? These are not easy decisions that are or ever were taken lightly. The decision is not black and white, good versus evil nonsense like your extremely simplistic, tabloid like view suggests.

Besides, it's likely that the fear of radiation kills far more people than it saves. Over 500 people died evacuating Fukushima. More may die this summer due to power shortages. More will die due to respiratory illness caused by fossil fuel burning.

=+=+=+=+=+

I tried to add this but wound up damaging the format.

I'd rather the Japanese adopt thorium reactors.

As for ameliorating the deleterious effects of the nuclear holocaust, the Japanese would do well to learn their history, particularly the part that MacArthur incised upon it. An entire commodity was slashed right from their culture, even as far as removal from the history books, and art.

edit on 15-7-2012 by davidmann because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-7-2012 by davidmann because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join