It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does life seem surreal to you too?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by daynight42

I go outside frequently to have a smoke. When people walk by I mentally take off their clothes, put fur on them and imagine them as monkeys. I see no difference. They're all a bunch of human apes doing what human apes do, no more, no less. People have kids that grow up to have kids that grow up to have kids...

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by NewAgeMan
reply to post by be4ne1

There's no such thing really as a "group" only individuals, no "them", just people.

My neighbor likes to say that EVERYONE in Vancouver is an a-hole who don't care about anyone but themselves. What a ridiculous and absurd statement.

I really have to disagree with that. When people are in a group, they are more likely to give up their own opinions to adopt ones that are more suitable to the entire group. They do not wish to be individuals in the strict sense of it, because that would cause too much conflict. They are individuals but they compromise so much for the sake of getting along, that they lose their individuality while they are in the group. Eventually with enough time, I think they lose themselves completely. Groupthink is a related term, if you would be interested in searching for it.

On the other side of the spectrum are people who are alone most of the time. These people are so different that they can have trouble fitting in with a group. I find this more appealing for many reasons. I do not wish to be anything like most people, if it means I must sacrifice my identity or principles to such a degree I lose touch with what matters to me. I might suppress it here and there, but, that bothers me too. There is enough of that being done. We need more movers and shakers. There can be civil disagreement and open discussion of ideas, though it seems to offend people sometimes on certain issues.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   
you are seeing the truth, friend.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
yes yes and yes.

I feel this ALL THE TIME. i live in a big city and sometimes i'll go into the centre of it and just watch people milling about, feeling like i have absolutely nothing at all to do with them... it wouldn't suprise me if they didn't even see me.

With relationships this happens a fair bit as well.
I can see a woman is interested but is being held back by public opinion.

I know one woman who is in a social position that is making her feel like she does not belong, and remarkably i get along with her just fine.

I feel like a social pariah simply because i pay attention, give a flying %^&$ about things and above all else because i Think.

How true it is: "I think therefore i am" the bit that was left out was: "part of a minority"

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Yeah I don't hang out with my whole family for very long for this reason. But I get what you are saying and I hope you took no offense by it. I have struggles like this myself and have most of my adult life.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by chadderson
reply to post by Common Good

It is the arduous task of knowing whats right, and then doing whats right.

I have to challenge this. Somewhere out in the universe a sun has just gone supernova and killed every bit of life on its orbiting planets. Tell me, was it right or wrong for this sun to do that?

The answer has to be neither. It's not right or wrong, but just is.

A pride of lions brutally kills an elk in order to eat and survive. Is this right or wrong? Again, neither. It is what it is.

Man invented the concept of right and wrong. The concept is not real, and is not found anywhere else in the universe. If a majority of us don't like something, we call it wrong, but the universe couldn't care one bit if we blew this planet to smithereens.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tykonos

Originally posted by randomname

Originally posted by RealSpoke

Derealization (sometimes abbreviated as DR) is an alteration in the perception or experience of the external world so that it seems unreal. Other symptoms include feeling as though one's environment is lacking in spontaneity, emotional coloring and depth.[1] It is a dissociative symptom of many conditions, such as psychiatric and neurological disorders, and not a standalone disorder. It is also a transient side effect of acute drug intoxication, sleep deprivation, and stress.[citation needed]

en.wikipedia.org...

describing the symptoms doesn't tell you what causes it. without knowing the cause, you cannot find an answer, a solution or a way to defeat it.

you have to find the cause first to understand it and beat it.

You feel disconnected with mainstream society. You've stepped out of the 'wanting' stage. To 'want', you don't take a step back and ask why do I want that.

Most people want what other people want or deem as needing to achieve.

As you have stepped out of that, you don't need it and question why others blindly follow that dream. They look blank, false, that's because they are being false.

Can't argue with this. I don't need paintings on my walls. I don't need a phone. I don't need to go out to a restaurant to eat. I don't need close friends. I don't need a M/F relationship. I don't need a brand new car or a house. Where others seem to look at these things as (I dunno) rewards, I find them a great and exhausting burden.

I have my coffee, my smokes, and my internet. That's all I need and want.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   
N.B.This post is going along well without anyone going off topic.

I apparently made a boo-boo on the post about Area 51, the ongoing litigation. I cannot remember what I said but it was deleted and I was warned. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm says I, as I never make suspiocious remarks..... or do I?

WELL Well well and 3 wells make a river..... from my younger days

[snipped OT content]

edit on 6/25/2012 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

Derealization (sometimes abbreviated as DR) is an alteration in the perception or experience of the external world so that it seems unreal. Other symptoms include feeling as though one's environment is lacking in spontaneity, emotional coloring and depth.[1] It is a dissociative symptom of many conditions, such as psychiatric and neurological disorders, and not a standalone disorder. It is also a transient side effect of acute drug intoxication, sleep deprivation, and stress.[citation needed]

en.wikipedia.org...

describing the symptoms doesn't tell you what causes it. without knowing the cause, you cannot find an answer, a solution or a way to defeat it.

You feel disconnected with mainstream society. You've stepped out of the 'wanting' stage. To 'want', you don't take a step back and ask why do I want that.

As you have stepped out of that, you don't need it and question why others blindly follow that dream. They look blank, false, that's because they are being false.

Can't argue with this. I don't need paintings on my walls. I don't need a phone. I don't need to go out to a restaurant to eat. I don't need close friends. I don't need a M/F relationship. I don't need a brand new car or a house. Where others seem to look at these things as (I dunno) rewards, I find them a great and exhausting burden.

While i agree partly with what you say i tend to find a lack of a M/F relationship to be a great burden, i also find the lack of close friends to be a great burden..... However sometimes having them is also a great burden.

Maybe the whole point of these things being a great burden is balance. that old saying that you can't make an omlette without breaking a few eggs....

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   

All of you guys just sound depressed

Not at all. Tell me a joke and I'll laugh. I LOVE reading books. I LOVE coming here. There's just no point to anything else.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raivan31

Originally posted by jiggerj

en.wikipedia.org...

While i agree partly with what you say i tend to find a lack of a M/F relationship to be a great burden, i also find the lack of close friends to be a great burden..... However sometimes having them is also a great burden.

Maybe the whole point of these things being a great burden is balance. that old saying that you can't make an omlette without breaking a few eggs....

My M/F relationships would only last until the first argument.

She: What took you so long going to the store?
Me: Get out.

lol

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   
im feeling the exact same thing too, i was driving to work today and looking at all the people rushing around and just going about their business, hurried and looking miserable. i was thinking to myself, what is this, i dont belong here. i try to stay away from most people too, and find a lot of peace on my own in the country or anywhere away in nature.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Money is not real. All the crap we have could be gone tomorrow. Yet, everyday we toil with something trying to 'earn a living.' Our lives are pretty much manufactured, this is why it seems surreal.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by canadiansenior70[SNIPPED OT content]

Well at least somebody is listening.
edit on 6/25/2012 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by canadiansenior70

Your probably right, But if the C.I.A considers me to be a person of intrest then the American government should really be looking at cutting their funding, cause they are way off track as i am only dangerous to myself and greasy food items

But to stray back towards the topic.

Yeah, most of life seems to be just keeping other people happy in the vain hope that they will do likewise but unless you can provide more to them then they can to you then they will, infact, not bother.

This is why family is sometimes intolerable to live with. because your stuck with them regardless of whether it's worth your time and effort.

I try to think of family as genetic bearers. they have the same/similar genes to me and may be the best hope of my own genetic immortality.
edit on 25-6-2012 by Raivan31 because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-6-2012 by Raivan31 because: fixed typo

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by daynight42

reply to post by be4ne1

There's no such thing really as a "group" only individuals, no "them", just people.

My neighbor likes to say that EVERYONE in Vancouver is an a-hole who don't care about anyone but themselves. What a ridiculous and absurd statement.

I really have to disagree with that. When people are in a group, they are more likely to give up their own opinions to adopt ones that are more suitable to the entire group. They do not wish to be individuals in the strict sense of it, because that would cause too much conflict. They are individuals but they compromise so much for the sake of getting along, that they lose their individuality while they are in the group. Eventually with enough time, I think they lose themselves completely. Groupthink is a related term, if you would be interested in searching for it.

On the other side of the spectrum are people who are alone most of the time. These people are so different that they can have trouble fitting in with a group. I find this more appealing for many reasons. I do not wish to be anything like most people, if it means I must sacrifice my identity or principles to such a degree I lose touch with what matters to me. I might suppress it here and there, but, that bothers me too. There is enough of that being done. We need more movers and shakers. There can be civil disagreement and open discussion of ideas, though it seems to offend people sometimes on certain issues.

You miss the point being that we cannot fairly place "everyone" else, into a group, and then start making blanket statements as if "they" all fall into the same catagory, that's ridiculous and more than a little judgemental. It's the type of insanity that actually leads to this sense of alienation and isolation, the idea that you are one against the many.

And who would want to be part of the loner group anyway..?

The whole idea of a group is part of the problem with the collectivist politics of our present day, where wedge issues are used to drive the masses in opposition to one another.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   
“It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.”
- Jiddu Krishnamurti

I felt similarly for years. I isolated myself as much as I could, sought escapism through fantasy or substance abuse, and was extremely depressed and negative towards society. I eventually managed to escape my depression through the application of positive cognitive self-therapy, and subsequently began investigating and learning about the world around me for several years until I began to fully understand and grasp the scientifically causal nature of the reality we are all inhabiting. It is profound. After thousands of hours of investigation attempting to understand and make sense of the seemingly insane society we are all indoctrinated into, I finally understand: there was never anything 'wrong' with me - as there is nothing wrong with you - it's society itself which is flawed on a fundamental level, and more importantly, I now understand many of the reasons why, and what could be done to implement meaningful change for everyone's benefit.

Regrettably, it's extremely difficult to condense that understanding into an easily conveyed, succinct message that could simply be posted on a message board for all to absorb. I'm afraid it takes a bit more effort to break free of the decades worth of cultural value programming we have been subjected to long enough to take a somewhat more objective view of reality. You might think to yourself 'Not me, I'm open minded' - but you'd be surprised how many self-described 'open minded' people shut their cognitive process down the instant you cross certain culturally instilled value barriers. It's all subconscious - most people have no idea how deeply indoctrinated they actually are.

With that being said, if you are interested enough to educate yourself further in regards to what I'm talking about, here's a video to start you off with. I assure you it's worth the time and effort. Feel free to message me if you have any further questions.

edit on 25-6-2012 by Teebs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by daynight42

reply to post by be4ne1

You miss the point being that we cannot fairly place "everyone" else, into a group, and then start making blanket statements as if "they" all fall into the same catagory, that's ridiculous and more than a little judgemental. It's the type of insanity that actually leads to this sense of alienation and isolation, the idea that you are one against the many.

And who would want to be part of the loner group anyway..?

The whole idea of a group is part of the problem with the collectivist politics of our present day, where wedge issues are used to drive the masses in opposition to one another.

DING DING DING!!! We have a winner!

You somehow managed to articulate both sides (pardon the pun) of this argument.
Most people do not want to be loners, most loners feel they have no choice.
Groups are easy to control but only if they are poly. One entire group comprising of everyone is NOT easy to control but multiple groups are.

Most of the time the group you end up a part of is decided by environmental circumstance.
You may work at a bank and hate those you work with but if you get robbed then all the bank staff suddenly become as a tribe, them vs the robbers.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I used to feel exactly this way (and there are still remnants of it, just "updated" in some way). All I can say is try to remember that we all experience reality via our own perception and we all come from varying backgrounds (even within the same community) which leads to differing values and realisations.

Try to accept that many people haven't been as fortunate as yourself, to experience the things that you have - obviously they have the potential to be very different from you in many ways. It's not negative or positive.

Take the jump, even if it's a small one. I assume you don't like social scenes too much - but just do it
You might be surprised - but you don't have to over-exert your 'energy supply'. Be yourself - but be happy with your self and know that you have a lot to offer and gain on levels you probably never thought you would have. Through this I found my love who really balances me out (she's almost polar to me in character) and I've managed to sort of recapture something human that I'd lost, as a child I guess.

Being 'rational' and 'intelligent' isn't everything. Try it.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join