It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does life seem surreal to you too?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 03:14 AM
link   
reply to post by daynight42

Yes I think you're right it most certainly is painful for some people. And that stands to reason, it can't be good to one day be told that everything you have been told throughout your life is a lie and that the people supposed to look out for your interests in fact couldn't give a damn! I've always kind of known that something is not quite right, and I've always challenged my own perception so when I came to see big picture it was more of a relief for me. On occasion I do think "is it worth it? Would it just be easier if I didn't know?" But that soon fades as you can't really unknow something lol.

I have met people that just do not want to know, but I think deep down they do and they have made a conscious decision to ignore it. I think this is their choice and they are welcome to it. I find that I naturally gravitate away from these people.

I think that one day they will be forced to wake up, but then it might be too late for them. It's a shame but not much you can do about it really.
edit on 25-6-2012 by mee30 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 03:19 AM
link   
What you have is degrees of perception; what Robert Anton Wilson calls a reality tunnel. Some are narrower, some are wider in scope. The mundane/materialist "tunnel" is an ego-reinforcing model that operates on what I've come to call object-orientation: a frenetic mentality that requires a succession of defined, rigid objectives that must be adhered to in strict order, so as to always to deflect the larger more important questions that nip at that the face of reality.

This had been the dominant perspective in Western society in the last century, but more and more that 'tunnel' is breaking down across the greater population. Upon critical mass we will see a fundamental restructuring of the current socio-economic and cross-cultural model, because the orientation of our minds is what renders the scenes of our reality in the most fundamental way. This is the real secret...

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 03:53 AM
link   
Well I find that a lot of people I run into are just out to take advantage of you in some way. It's pretty rare that you run into someone who genuinely and authentically wants to do something positive or contribute something good into your life. And as I was just explaining to a friend there's this weird thing. Say you get a call from a number you don't recognize. Say you get a piece of mail from an addess you don't recognize. Or an unexpected knock at the door. Well it's like a 95% chance it's something bad. This ain't the 20's when the neighbor would show up with an apple pie they just baked for you. All anyone wants to do is steal from you in some way or another. It's just sad.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 04:20 AM
link   
I feel you OP..seems this feeling is becoming more common amongst many of us...

Personally,I feel like I am stuck in Limbo...that is the perfect feeling to describe how it feels..least to me.
I feel as if I have already died,and am living in a simulated world from how my mind last remembers/thought of it.
And whenever I see people discussing things that I am interested in,it seems more like "Reality" trying to convince me that it is Real by instilling actual emotion and interest into things you think about,such as this reply to you LOL

Also idk about you,but lately I have grown detached from emotion...it seems as if everything & anything there is to do is always the same reward/punishment just in different intensity...Happiness/Pain.Chasing emotions and feeling isn't what I am here for,maybe as the end time is near approaching we are deprogramming ourselves from what has been programmed in us and around us.

This world is maddening.I'm right here beside you.Lost.Hello

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 05:23 AM
link   
imagine if all you knew was the game of "tag", the childrens game, the only thing you do all day is play tag.

tag is something people know, they dont want to question the game, they just understand they HAVE to play it and know no different.

i was going somewhere with this.

[7]

alot of us feeling the same way.
we are starting the question the game, and are wondering why we cant play a different game. wanting change you realize how boring, distracted, and ignorant people are - ignorant to even their own actions or lack there of.

edit on 25-6-2012 by gostr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 05:42 AM
link   
*EXCUSE my grammar, I'm on a iPad and do not feel like editing everything.

totally understand what you mean. I'm still in high school and it's worse. One day I sat in class and just looked at everyone and thought wow everyone thinks the SAME. It's like I'm watching a movie.No one is thinking of anything else for either fear of ruining their comfortable lives, or they just don't care about anyone else but themselves. I mean I don't blame them ,ignorance is bliss. I'm in a rap group with my best friends and I label them as my only REAL friends.We all think alike, we have all awoken to the truth of the world.Everytime we have a smoke session we seem to share our thoughts and philosophies to learn from each other and talk about how society is today. Lol we even play CHESS. And that feeling of being alone I didn't truly feel it until one day at lunch with some friends of mine (not in the rap group) I was talking about the Fukushima problem and everyone just looked at me and went back to talking about the upcoming basketball game. When that happened I couldn't believe it, it's like they said "oh that's cool and didn't even question it. I therefore told myself I wouldn't try to tell them again. The reason why people act like this is because they haven't freed their mind and realized how the world really is,or how they've been living their life everyday and thinking EVERYDAY.Once i realized that myself i couldnt believe it i felt decieved and couldnt believe it i was in denial. It reminded me when Morpheus showed Neo how the world really looked like once he had awoken from the matrix and how he freaked out and they tried to calm him down.this one of our favorite topics in my rap group.Trust me theirs someone out there that understands how you feel I just thank god I have the right friends. And for those who are like "wtf does matrix have to do with this?" lol just go on youtube and type in "The Matrix is a system" look at the people around Neo and Morpheus,they remind of the people you see everyday.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 05:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Qi Maker
What you have is degrees of perception; what Robert Anton Wilson calls a reality tunnel. Some are narrower, some are wider in scope. The mundane/materialist "tunnel" is an ego-reinforcing model that operates on what I've come to call object-orientation: a frenetic mentality that requires a succession of defined, rigid objectives that must be adhered to in strict order, so as to always to deflect the larger more important questions that nip at that the face of reality.

This had been the dominant perspective in Western society in the last century, but more and more that 'tunnel' is breaking down across the greater population. Upon critical mass we will see a fundamental restructuring of the current socio-economic and cross-cultural model, because the orientation of our minds is what renders the scenes of our reality in the most fundamental way. This is the real secret...

Earlier I was considering mentioning a book I'm using that is written by Robert Anton Wilson. I figured I wouldn't bring it up, but now that you mentioned his name, I will share the title. It's called Undoing Yourself (with energized meditation). I am about halfway through it. I thought that I had a rather open mind before I started reading it, but his words have forced me to see myself in a new light, and I am very glad to be able to be more critical of myself. It's for my own good. You're forced to look at yourself and ask why you believe certain things, and who do those beliefs really serve. Why must you put pressure on yourself in certain ways? It's usually so that we seem impressive to others, at our own detriment however. I am glad to be working on being just me, and shedding my pretty skin in exchange for my own. The 'methods' or exercises in the book have been helpful. I'm not so sure about the second set, because I just started it. It doesn't seem to have an effect, but I will keep trying it. The first set really is helpful; that much I know. And, when we says we are all 'dogma junkies'...I firmly agree with that. We all seem to insist on rules that must be followed. I have not yet been able to understand how I can feel responsible as a human being and yet let go of the disciplines or rules that I try to follow. Perhaps he would tell me that we will progress as humans on our destined path (if there is one) whether I push my rules or not. His message seems to be "live and let live" or not to interfere with anyone's choices (maybe unless they interfere with yours). That is exactly the problem today. People are trampling over the choices and freedoms of others in effort to control them. People must learn for themselves what to do. Controlling others is wrong. I would only attempt to control young people up to a certain age, to try to start them off right. Even then, who am I to tell anyone else what is right? Anyhow, anyone curious can search for "Undoing Yourself" and find his book, and there also are some free videos on YouTube. As far as the book, I believe I bought mine paperback and used, to save money. The price is pretty high for a new one, especially hardcover. So, be sure to look at the other options.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 05:49 AM
link   
You know,I even entertain the idea that perhaps..for those of us that feel and think,and genuinely want the change for the better...want progression.This world is a wake-up call for us...think about it..doesn't it feel like SHOCK therapy for your soul to "wake-up"?Its getting more and more crazy,more and more unbelievable,and more and more untolerable.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 06:00 AM
link   
reply to post by toshow1022

I know the scenes exactly from memory. That movie is one that I enjoy watching over again from time to time. It is a philosophical piece of artwork to me. At the same time, I think people can easily get lost in a movie, to the point that it takes over their belief system. I have to find my own ideas and solve the puzzles I find in life, and I cannot adhere to those put forth in a movie. I can consider them and ponder them, but it is possible to become overly engulfed in a movie. I try to avoid that clouding my mind.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 06:36 AM
link   

You are not alone brother, I'm also staying away from most of the people I know for the exact same reasons... trying to hang on in this illusion of "real life".

I'm done with this world too, nothing makes sense in our way of living, it is completely the opposite of our true nature. I hope that we can find an alternative way to exist, as we have been programmed to live only in our fake society. We only know how to think about money and social status, not much other than that.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 06:51 AM
link   
I used to feel that way until I had my daughter, now life matter and makes sense.. I felt the way you do until I was like 21 years old..

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Tell me, along with this feeling of surrealism, have you noticed patterns or things that happen too regularly to be just coincidence?

The reason I ask is because I've felt for about 4 years like I've been shoved into a simulated world. I feel no real connection to anyone or anything, although I do a good job of pretending every day.

In my every day world things happen to me with such predictability that I can say as I pull up to the junction by my house exactly what will happen, and it happens. I pull up to the junction, as I'm approaching nothing is coming so I start to go and bam car comes speeding up out of nowhere, closely followed by four other cars all a set distance apart, and driving just slow enough to ensure that by the time the last car passes that a convoy of vehicles are coming from the opposite direction. So I'm stuck there. No one will let me out, and if I'm feeling cocky and try to push my way out they will speed up to close the gap and leave me stranded in the middle of the road with oncoming bus/lorry approaching. Then just at the last possible second before I can get squished someone will move to let me in.

Traffics lights change to red just as I get to them, even if they only just changed to green a second ago. If the lights are green for a long time, then the car in front of me will mess about, stopping for no reason then bombing off when the lights hit amber, or slowing down to the point that the lights will change back to red, stranding me behind the line.

I used to work 9 to 5, leaving the house at 8.20am each morning. Traffic was so bad I could not get out of my junction (see above). Comng home I was bumper to bumper and a 20 minute drive took me an hour. I got stressed from it all and reduced my hours so I finished at 4 each day. All was fine for a couple of months, traffic was fairly quiet I was getting home in 30 minutes. Then one day I was bumper to bumper again and it's been so ever since ( 2 years). Some times (rarely) I have to work until 5pm to cover holidays, then I go home and there's NO traffic at that time anymore!

On some occasions I'd have to collect something on my way to work which meant I could leave later at around 8.50 and the road would be clear. So I changed my work hours so that I could leave at 8.50 instead and get to work for 9.15 (finishing at 4.15). Guess what? Now there's the same amount of traffic at that time that there used to be at 8.20 and on random occasion I leave earlier at 8.20 the roads are quiet!

My partner works flexi and when I worked at 9am he would leave at 8.45 and told me that the road was dead. Now he comes home at 5pm and the roads are dead. Has everyone just moved with me?

I know these sound insignificant things but try having them happen every single day, with such predictability it gets boring after a while.

Every attempt I've made over the last 4 years to get a passport has ended with me not getting one. I'm good with money but suddenly my money vanishes and I'm overdrawn and it takes a couple of months to get my balance back healthy again. I don't go anywhere or do anything so where does my money go? I go to work each day, come home, have my dinner and go on the web or do some drawing. Weekends I stay in. I don't drink or smoke or do drugs. Where does my money go?

The other week I was out in my car, went right at a roundabout near where I live, as I came to straighten up my back end hit some water on the road and I lost control of the car. I just steered so as not to hit the roundabout and damage my axle. Anyway the car spun round 180 and I'm facing oncoming traffic (this road is busy all the time) but nothing is coming. I did a 3 point turn in the road to face the right way, and drove off. No one on the other side of the road stopped to check I was ok, there was no damage to my car, and I just went about my day as normal I was hardly shaken at all.

The other day I tripped over a kerb, couldn't save myself and fell flat on my face. I hit the concrete pavement with my cheekbone, squished my glasses. I thought my cheekbone would be caved in and I'd be a bloody mess. Got back to work, my glasses were slightly bent, but wearable, and all I had was a tiny nick in my eyebrow and a little scuff on my palm. I have two small bruises on my knees but that is it.

There are so many other things that I can't even remember right now, so many oddities and irregularities that make me believe that my world is gone and I'm stuck in this nightmare unable to wake up.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   

I know how you're feeling brother, meditation helps you avoid the whole political mess we all love to focus on.

Peace

K

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by ArtOfTrance

Yes that's exactly the word - Limbo. I feel like maybe I died four years ago and I am stuck in limbo land waiting to move on somewhere else.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jakenm
been on ats for a while now just a roamer this is my first time posting.

this post means alot to me because i have recently,past year or so had this immense feeling aswell, i look around and see thru most ppl and just dont understand what is driving all this and feel like i dont belong here aswell i am young 21 yrs old and all my crowd of friends pretty much all only party and live the young irresponsible lifestyle and i used to partake in it but it never made me happy and now whenever i have tryed to go out and do this with them i feel like a shell trying to avoid everyone i rarely drink now, recently broke up with my girlfrend because i simply coulndt make her happy anymore, she is quite immature and irresponsible in my sense as she was never open to questioning things in life she was like everyone else, they think u are crazy or just a downer they only care about the material bs were fed and controlled by these days,and its tough because i want to be able to enjoy my life but i dont care about anything anymore i spend most of my time on the laptop i feel the internet is my way to connect to things these days. im told i am an old soul and i feel like i am awake and more mature than others but alot of times it just feels like i dont belong here.

sorry about the rambling like i said first time poster i just really connected with this post bcuz i feel the same way!!

Please know that the internet is not the best way to connect with people. It can make you feel less alone, with posts such as this but, ultimately, life is to be lived in the real world. I'm so impressed that at 21 you realize that there is a shallowness and fakeness to modern life. It takes most people another 10 or 20 years to get there. Find a non-internet hobby, a church (if thats your outlook) or a continuing education program that has cool off-topic classes and hopefully you will find a like-minded old soul or two in real life to journey with.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Xaphan

Typically, people will be in any of three groups:

A third for the issue,
a third opposed,
and a third remaining neutral.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   
I think this essay is totally relevant to the topic:

Non-Time and Hauntology

Fisher links the idea of a “missing future” with the disappearance of negativity and criticality in contemporary pop culture, which (as I interpret it) has no space for anything oppositional or which transforms oppositional gestures into postures that circulate only as signifiers of personal identity. It reminds me of Douglas Haddow’s “Hipsters are the dead-end of Western culture” argument:

An artificial appropriation of different styles from different eras, the hipster represents the end of Western civilization – a culture lost in the superficiality of its past and unable to create any new meaning. Not only is it unsustainable, it is suicidal. While previous youth movements have challenged the dysfunction and decadence of their elders, today we have the “hipster” – a youth subculture that mirrors the doomed shallowness of mainstream society.

Hipsters don’t experience non-time negatively, as a loss, as melancholic, as indicative of deep alienation. Instead they seem to be thoroughly subjectivized by neoliberalism to the extent that they regard it as opportunity to show off how creative they can be in their cycle of appropriations. That last thing they want is to be reminded of how their personality is conditioned by the times they live in; in nontime, one can feel transcendent and immortal, one can permanently defer adulthood.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Does life seem surreal to you too?

Yes... I feel like my spirit/soul is separated somewhat from my physical body. It's far away and I'm here and mostly I feel sad alot. But I am dealing with it and just try to take things a day at a time.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by toshow1022

And for those who are like "wtf does matrix have to do with this?" lol just go on youtube and type in "The Matrix is a system" look at the people around Neo and Morpheus,they remind of the people you see everyday.

Excellent post. Welcome to ATS. You should do well here. I am so amazed at young people who are so awake. What you got with your friends is so special, treasure that. Don't worry about helping others unless they ask you for it. Have you ever read Plato, "The Allegory of the Caves"? Matrix style awakening is also in there.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   
So I'm not one to post in forums like this usually, but damned if I don't feel the same way lately... for the past month or so, specifically. I have a wife and two sons, a stable career, house... all that jazz. And I still feel like I'm sleepwalking and nothing is really satisfying to me at this point. My relationships all feel lackluster, the world seems as if it is in total relapse and heading toward the second Dark Ages, I find I have nothing to look forward to. Everything is bland and unappealing.

It was very accute this morning for me as I drove into work. I just felt detached, removed from everything around me. My son was sitting and talking in his car seat behind me and I honestly (sadly) couldnt' care less about what he was saying; FYI, he can't actually speak yet, he makes his own words, but I still just did not care.

I've found that where I used to be very passionate about things... world events, politics, sports... I'm just not anymore. I noticed that no one around me cared about anything the way I did, so I just stopped speaking about those things. I've been keeping my thoughts to myself lately, not feeling the need to 'bother' people with the ramblings of my mind.

So for what it's worth, OP, I feel we are in the same boat.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join