It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does life seem surreal to you too?

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tasmanaut
you are seeing the truth, friend.

^simply and exactly this. it happened to me after almost dying. if you think about things hard enough you start to actual see what reality really is and what it is really like.

the unexamined life is not worth living

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   
I started feeling this way when I was about 10 or 11 (I am 34 now). It was so confusing at the time because I couldn't understand why people I called my friends, didn't feel the same isolation and surrealism that I felt when I looked around at the world. People thought I was crazy because of the things I would say at my age (this world isn't real, we were created by aliens, I am not from this planet, etc). I went through many periods where I thought it would be better to die so I could go back where I came from because I was so unhappy here trying to fit in with the programmed ideals that society had for each other. It was not until I stopped trying to force myself to be a sheep like others I knew and accepted that I was different. I was not able to be programmed and that was why I was so unhappy because I knew that "this", while physically real in the sense that I am grounded with my feet on something solid, the imagery and fanaticism that seem to be present in others lives, was different in mine. Even after reading a majority of the comments I find it difficult to speak about it. I always remember being different - bucking against the perceived norms of the world. It is comforting to know that others feel the same.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Juanvizo

Wow, that's pretty impressive that you had those ideas at that age. I was a bit of a loner growing up, a bit. It increased as time went on. I realized I didn't fit in at school, and I hated it. (It was very overwhelming for me.) But, I didn't get angry over it until maybe 7th grade. At that point I realized how cruel kids were and dreaded being around them.

Drug use. Yes, that is something that brought me together with people more than anything else. Some of my "closest" real life friendships were centered around that, or with people I worked with. Take that aspect away, and being around them was very awkward and kind of excruciating in a way.

Your English is better than some native speakers I know!!

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   
When I began wondering why people do what they do, I took up interests in different topics such as psychology, moral philosophy, belief, human ecology, nihilism, anthropology..etc.

Many (but not all) look for something to believe in. Something to guide them, something to make sense of life, something to give them a rock to stand by. Many people feel this way and turn to religious/spiritual study, some people look for answers from science. Some both (as I did). But do people really find the truth or do they just look for a belief system that 'empowers' them and makes them feel 'ok' about life? In my opinion, when the truths are brutal, impersonal, downright ugly, it seems that most of the human race would prefer to not hear the truth whatsoever.

The more we study animals, the less special we seem. Baboons can distinguish between written words and gibberish. Monkeys seem to be able to do multiplication. Apes can delay instant gratification longer than a human child can. They plan ahead. They make war and peace. They show empathy. They share.

"I see plenty of empathy in my chimpanzees," de Waal said. But studies have shown they also go to war against neighboring colonies, killing the males and taking the females. That's something that also is very human and led people to believe that war-making must go back in our lineage 6 million years, de Waal said.

When scientists look at our other closest relative, the bonobo, they see a difference. Bonobos don't kill. Hare says his experiments show bonobos give food to newcomer bonobos, even when they could choose to keep all the food themselves.

xfinity.comcast.net...

So to put it simply, for us, maybe it's just genetic. Yeah, I went there.

Perhaps we're just animals, albiet with sophisticated communication abilities and few other unique features, but other than that there isn't much difference after all.

(shriek, horror, burn the books, revolt, chastise, admonish, run, call the priest, FEAR!)

Could you handle the truth if it meant life was meaningless beyond reproduction and evolution? Don't lose hope entirely. Thru genetics we may be able to someday breed a more gentler, altruistic human being. But will we choose to do so? Hmmm..

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Absolutely agree here, your reply hit the nail in the head for me, the only time i realize i'm back in "Sheep Mode" is when i start dreaming/hoping wandering about all the nice things i may want, why i work etc...

My 3 year old son often says daddy, if you have to go to work can you only go for "this much time" and he shows me the sign with his index finger and thumb nearly touching eachother...at that point i come back into what the OP describes.

I truly believe this feeling everyone is talking about comes from
1) Maturity - age usually - most people i talk to that feel like this are in their 30's
2) Following your bliss - do what makes you happy (i haven't had TV now for over 5 years and i'm happy!)
3) Realizing that the best things in life are FREE

Yes i often want things, and when i do i get back into trying to tell myself that every penny counts, thus my job is important, thus i have to perform at work and worry about not losing it, thus saving every penny and in the end focus more on the crap that doesn't matter - making time for work, work being more important than family..

I'd love to just move away to some sort of log home, living off the land, not having to buy water that may be tainted, food that's processed/poisoned with crap we never needed

ahh bliss....
great post!

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I can sympathize with what a lot of people are posting in this thread. I recommend that the OP and some others read some writings about the role of language in human life. Ludwig Wittgenstein wrote extensively on what he called "language games," and Martin Heidegger wrote Being and Time, which focused on "Dasein" (the direct translation is "being there"). Both of these authors have quite a bit to say in regards to the ideas presented in this thread.

Without getting too in-depth in technical philosophy, I would speculate that:

1) From Heidegger's view the language game of the developed world hyper-saturates people with death anxiety, and death anxiety destabilizes meanings and makes the world unintelligible. Thus people today are much more prone to breakdowns and crises.

2) From Wittgenstein's view the language games that humans are playing (especially in the developed world) are undergoing radical transformation, largely because the internet allows language games to change very quickly. Individuals need time to adapt to these changes, which involves abandoning old meanings and acquiring new ones. The gap between abandoning old meanings and acquiring new ones = meaninglessness.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by daynight42
reply to post by jonnywhite

I think this is why people make the decisions they do. They want to be delusional and do it all together, so that they can escape the harsh reality, and yet by doing it together, they justify it and feel sane.

Your post prompted that thought to me. I will not be one of the people who tries to make life seem better. In other words, I feel compelled to keep track of the bad news, to be in touch with what it going on in the world. That is often the news that has the biggest impact on my future, versus the happy news that doesn't. (The new ipad is nice, but it will only cost me money I rather keep.) I consider the news I look for important. I must look for it to be ready for times ahead, to prepare accordingly. I do not trust anyone else to do this for me, to give me an accurate date or time to be prepared for what. So, I must do it.

The world doesn't give people much choice sometimes. People have all sorts of opinions that don't integrate well with reality, see? Some things we simply have to accept if we want to live well. We just can't afford to disagree uncompromisingly. This is really the main point I think behind the post you reference. When I wrote it, I wasn't sure what I was saying. I just tried to be straight.

More importantly, a lot of the things that happen in this world are beyond any single person to ever understand. It really is. No group can grasp it. Only the combined collective of all people has any hope. And whatever the combined collective does is going to be sloppy, intolerable, ugly, unacceptable and inhospitable to whoever you ask. No single person is going to agree with everything because they have their own perspective and it usually is unique to them. They might join a group of others like themselves, but they'll never find anybody perfectly like them. So life is filled with disagreement. We have to make compromises to live in this world and with our disagreements.

We don't have to acknowledge that reality is far outside our ability to grasp it, but the results of our actions eventually amount to it. Just as a man can futilely flap his arms like a bird or shape his body like a glider - as he falls from a great height - and still die anyway, the end result is that what happens is self-evident. You can fight and scream and claw at the world, but many things about it will remain as-is, despite your best efforts. A lot of things can't be changed.

This of course collides with what you're told. People are told that everything can be changed. But it's not true. A lot of things can't be. Tolerance is an important trait to have because so much is immutable. And faith. If you have faith... The world throws curve balls and disasters happen frequently. Faith helps to keep us going even when we cannot comprehend everything - which is certain to occur in a reality which dumbfounds the smartest most enduring people.

I believe that history tells us great changes are in-store. It happens gradually. But just as we've always done we will keep on trucking and beating our way through the obstacles. Some of the obstacles we created ourselves and some of them come from elsewhere. It's a messy miracle, when you examine history. So much conflict and ineptitude and idiocy and genocide and so on. But here we're. I believe this is the best that this world could possibly be. People fought and died and murdered and lied and worked hard and cheated every year of every century since the beginning of the human species. There're no do-overs. What we were and what we're now IS; speaks for itself.

Nobody can speak for history. History does it and doesn't need anybody else to.
edit on 25-6-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raivan31
With relationships this happens a fair bit as well.
I can see a woman is interested but is being held back by public opinion.

That is something that really bothers me too. It's a feeling of intense frustration that I must be someone else in order for most people to like me. They seem to be looking for someone who is the epitome of what society deems as cool. Not always. It's just that most people are so typical, and they do typical things and find "sexy" what is typically sexy. If you're too different, they reject you. They can't have your "weirdness" rubbing off on them, or else they will be pushed out as an oddball too. Oh no! Can't have that!

Ever try meeting someone and seeing how long it is until one of you decides you should watch a movie? What about talking about something philosophical? What about just talking to get to know one another for the same amount of time? Is that so frightening for some reason? Forget about movies. I want to get to know you.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Hey OP. Thanks for sharing an honest thought

Among the million other posts with advice I offer one more

I felt the same way that you do and still do very often. What changed it for me was teaching. Teach others how to recognize the truth that you understand. You will be fulfilled.

The trick is finding what to teach. That is in your heart. Don't be afraid of what you find. Then share it with those who seek it. Don't worry about the What. Focus on the how.

Cheers

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by NewAgeMan

Originally posted by NewAgeMan
reply to post by be4ne1

There's no such thing really as a "group" only individuals, no "them", just people.

My neighbor likes to say that EVERYONE in Vancouver is an a-hole who don't care about anyone but themselves. What a ridiculous and absurd statement.

I really have to disagree with that. When people are in a group, they are more likely to give up their own opinions to adopt ones that are more suitable to the entire group. They do not wish to be individuals in the strict sense of it, because that would cause too much conflict. They are individuals but they compromise so much for the sake of getting along, that they lose their individuality while they are in the group. Eventually with enough time, I think they lose themselves completely. Groupthink is a related term, if you would be interested in searching for it.

On the other side of the spectrum are people who are alone most of the time. These people are so different that they can have trouble fitting in with a group. I find this more appealing for many reasons. I do not wish to be anything like most people, if it means I must sacrifice my identity or principles to such a degree I lose touch with what matters to me. I might suppress it here and there, but, that bothers me too. There is enough of that being done. We need more movers and shakers. There can be civil disagreement and open discussion of ideas, though it seems to offend people sometimes on certain issues.

You miss the point being that we cannot fairly place "everyone" else, into a group, and then start making blanket statements as if "they" all fall into the same catagory, that's ridiculous and more than a little judgemental. It's the type of insanity that actually leads to this sense of alienation and isolation, the idea that you are one against the many.

And who would want to be part of the loner group anyway..?

The whole idea of a group is part of the problem with the collectivist politics of our present day, where wedge issues are used to drive the masses in opposition to one another.

DING DING DING!!! We have a winner!

You somehow managed to articulate both sides (pardon the pun) of this argument.
Most people do not want to be loners, most loners feel they have no choice.
Groups are easy to control but only if they are poly. One entire group comprising of everyone is NOT easy to control but multiple groups are.

Most of the time the group you end up a part of is decided by environmental circumstance.
You may work at a bank and hate those you work with but if you get robbed then all the bank staff suddenly become as a tribe, them vs the robbers.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
I've been feeling like that for a couple of days now. Like I am in a daze or something. It happens many times but this time it is longer. It's like your disconnected but yet connected to everything all at once. It's confusing at many times for me but I just sit back and let the new perspective sink in.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   

That is something that really bothers me too. It's a feeling of intense frustration that I must be someone else in order for most people to like me. They seem to be looking for someone who is the epitome of what society deems as cool. Not always. It's just that most people are so typical, and they do typical things and find "sexy" what is typically sexy. If you're too different, they reject you. They can't have your "weirdness" rubbing off on them, or else they will be pushed out as an oddball too. Oh no! Can't have that!

Why look for companionship with people who are part of the hive mind? If people can't see you for who you are, then there's not much reason to pretend to be someone else. Because, ultimately, everyone will come away from the interaction disappointed and hurt.

I'm weird and I totally admit it. I used to pretend to be "normal" when I was a young teenager, but I would really just mimic other people - I couldn't understand why these people were doing the things they were doing. I only knew that if I pretended to be like them, they wouldn't talk crap to me.

If you are "weird", then just be weird. Who cares what other people think or don't think?

Ever try meeting someone and seeing how long it is until one of you decides you should watch a movie? What about talking about something philosophical? What about just talking to get to know one another for the same amount of time? Is that so frightening for some reason? Forget about movies. I want to get to know you.

It is very frightening to most people. Folks these days are raised in world where everything is dangerous. You are dangerous. Love is dangerous. Arguments are dangerous.

Nobody wants to be politically incorrect, nobody wants to be different.

But, the fact of the matter is, we are all different. Some people just don't realize it yet.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   

With relationships this happens a fair bit as well.
I can see a woman is interested but is being held back by public opinion.

Modern dating techniques/attraction psychology will answer all of these questions. I highly suggest you look into it. Once you start picking it up, you'll have many ah-hah moments and you will literally be able to figure out where you went wrong and right in the past with a romantic interest. Social skills can be learned (unless you're totally inept, I guess). If you don't have the proper socials tools to thrive, you will flounder. You seem personable. I would imagine you would pick this stuff up quick. Look into it.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by daynight42

You could take advantage of the people outside of your world. It happens all the time.

You could not interact and be a hermit. That goes on too.

Myself, I like to tweak those people. I like to smile, be friendly, and give double entendres, innuendos, and flat out truths disguised as jokes. Sell them that entertainment they crave. But, like any good artist, change the people who buy it. Help them care.
edit on 25-6-2012 by gentledissident because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Welcome to the well designed world of the elitists. A world of desensitization and emptiness. They have taken any way for us to purchase anything that would really make us content by making us work nearly all useful hours of the day for just enough pay to barely survive. In some cases NO way to survive.

They have squashed any hope or illusions of promise by getting their scientists to lie to us, and in most cases, destroy the beauty and mystery of life itself by removing any doubt to questions of spirituality whether true or not...it does not matter so long as you feel spiritually void. They have squandered all means of pecuniary investment for our future where we would finally have rest or any financial support that we would leave for our children so that they could have a brighter future and one day, (after all their servitude to these indolent slugs who sit around all day stealing from us to feed their fat carcasses) find rest themselves.

In the end we only have 2 choices:
1) To live as their slaves and never see rest, nor peace, nor contentment and a life of slavery until death.
2) Die cleaning all this mess up as a sacrifice to our children.

EITHER WAY WE DIE.

At this point they have solidified their agenda and we adults living today will not have enough time to clean this up to enjoy the fruits of our labor. It's still not too late to save the future for our children........although very unlikely as we have all become too dormant and it would take nothing less than a bolt of lightening to get the heart of America to start beating again.

After 911, we awoke only minimally, what else will it take?

We are victims of individual complacency, a country of aggregated lethargy, and recipients of deluded verbal gifts from liar after liar on the pulpit of convoluted promises that we call the American Democratic System.

Yet, another 4 years will go by and we will vote in another member of the 'antichrist family', who appears to be the greatest idea under the sun, with the greatest ideals, using the same words as his evil predecessors with a vernacular twist, an orators expertise, and a tongue dripping honey flavored deceit, seemingly delighting even the most dedicated 'true believer' who will vote him (or her) in as the President who will promise to bring about "change".......and change is what we'll get!.....change for the worse.

In short, the elites have robbed us of all financial, spiritual and, as a farce of a history suggests, our intellectualism.

This is why you feel the way you do. The way I feel the way I do, most of the world feels the way they do, this is no coincidence.

.......as my quote has said under my photo for years now "Here 'till I die, the rest is all filler."
edit on 25-6-2012 by Phenomium because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by daynight42

I have never met anyone like the geek GF I am with now. I can't imagine being with anyone else. No one else makes sense to me. She was buried away. Someone else had to dig her out and put us together.

It really is hard to find a geek out there. There seems to be few, and they seem to be hiding.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by ottobot

If you are "weird", then just be weird. Who cares what other people think or don't think?

I think it used to be (in other words, I'm getting over it) that I wanted people to accept me, so I wouldn't come across as so off the wall to them. To a degree, I'd be myself, but maybe not "all the way." Now, I accept myself more, and I don't need people to accept me. It's nice to have some validation and a sense of belonging, still. That's why coming here is so nice. I can post something and see so many people have felt the same.

At the same time, I have had moments in my life when I was 100% frank and honest with no holds barred. That was a very amazing time for me. I learned a lot about what it felt to be free. It was during my first and only manic episode. (It seems stress induced it. I've never had another one.) Another story for another time.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   
For me it has, this past week I've spent without my wife and 2 year old son as they are visiting my wifes family in Texas. House is empty, quiet and lonely

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Phenomium

I think that is why we cling to delusions. I mean, that is the only way to avoid just self-destruction. We have no idea that what we believe in is true, but we believe it because, we almost have to in order to cope. Some of us need less than others, or some of us take more than others. I just wish we could all cooperate to change things, but people usually require a leader, and anyway, it seems almost too late. Too many people refuse to see things as they really are.

At least we still have our own minds, to a degree, and we can convince ourselves that maybe in some way, things will balance out, or there's something we have yet to understand that will make it 'right.'

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   
I'm sorry, but, I just don't jive with the logic or general attitude of this thread.

Holding these types of separatist attitudes does nothing to improve one's state of being. It instills a divisive and negative viewpoint that does nothing to free up and open the mind to great many wonders of manifestation. It adds weight and burden to ones mind which has a negative impact on one's being. It creates a yearning for something 'more' or something 'else', something more 'real'; an egoic desire and a perceived lack of fulfillment which again is stifling to the progression of one's being.

If one maintains a high purpose and firm will, with a reverence for compassion and understanding, with a strong and serene mind that is unaffected by the iniquities and falsehoods of the world, the universe will open to you and shine in beauty. In this way one can greatly impact the perceived misdirection and fallacy of the world and turn it on its head, transmute it into a very real way to reflect the qualities that you feel it is lacking. When we bemoan the external conditions that surround us it only serves to weaken our minds, which can be strong if we would only focus on our internal work, and destabilize our being, which can be resilient and graceful if we would only focus our internal work.

It's all a learning process, but I'm saying right here and now, that holding these attitudes amounts to deflection and passive aggression.
edit on 25-6-2012 by Qi Maker because: (no reason given)

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join