It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Best, Most Informative Yellowstone Video Ever?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Ok, have to give major props to Jake Lowenstern, Director of the Yellowstone Volcano Observatory (YVO) for creating and publishing this extremely informative, straight to the point, and yet comprehensive description of the processes occurring at YS.

Absolute MUST SEE video for those interested in how Yellowstone works. He covers uplift, hotspot motion and dynamics, earthquakes and swarms, hydrothermal features and explosions, the 1959 Hebgen Lake quake, the magma chamber, and even the great affect the Alaskan Denali quake had on the park some years ago because of the particularly nasty orientation of the fault rupture- which sent very intense seismic waves straight into YS- and caused immediate triggered activity. And there's plenty more including hazardous areas, bizarre animal deaths traps, etc. A wealth of information, some of which I had not come across before.

VIDEO LINK:
media.wr.usgs.gov...

Description:

Volcanic and Other Geologic Hazards of the Yellowstone Supervolcano
Jacob Lowenstern, the YVO Scientist in Charge, 2012 Volcanic and Other Geologic Hazards of the Yellowstone Supervolcano: USGS 10th Triennial Open House Presentation and Video filmed at the USGS Menlo Park Campus on 20 May 2012.

volcanoes.usgs.gov...

I mean like seriously:

The way Jake goes through this, he shows tremendous command of information and long years of study to bring this video to the consumers of doom. A time or two he says things that happen there can tend to make people nervous, but he also says at the onset that YS is pretty much "done" for now.

This is no question my favorite YS video for sheer information and overview, although "Supervolcano" was fun for the entertainment value and effects- enjoyed that too.

It's like Jake heard just about any question we ever asked, and has taken the time to answer them!

It's so good Jake even has the zombie jokers applauding!

Seriously Jake: Thanks. SUPERB!

And when you get done with that one, if you want even more, just check out Jamie Farrell's video here:
earthquake.usgs.gov...

This is just great stuff.
edit on Sun Jun 24th 2012 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Thanks for the videos. I've always been interested in YS and how it will blow, if it does. That thing is a thinking man's nightmare.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 07:57 AM
link   
In Jamie's video, a critical question from an audience member happens at the end of the video:

"Jamie...have you detected any long period events?"

"No. And we've looked. But maybe we need to try harder..."

This is consistent with other information I have from my sources, that no tremor type signature (long period event) has EVER been detected at YS since they have started in depth monitoring some 40+ years ago. Of course, 40 years is just a blink of an eye in geologic time. Now you wanna see some people freak OUT?
One LP event at YS is all it would take. Including me. Two or three LP's in succession, along with some major seismicity, and I wouldn't be surprised if they shut the park down on the spot and evacuated the place. Let's pray that this generation never sees that day.
edit on Mon Jun 25th 2012 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Cheers for the great Vid, I have always believed that I will live to see Yellowstone blow, I am 32 so hopefully I am wrong. There is a cracking dramatisation of a Yellowstone super eruption called Super Volcano, was done by the BBC. Really shows the impact on not just America, but the world. Would urge you to check it out.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

TA, many thanks for posting about this video. From your description, it sounds very interesting and I fully intend listening through it a couple of times and taking some notes.

Best regards,

Mike

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

Ok Mike, time's up. You must report to ATS and give us your feedback on this video now.

Seriously folks, you want to know about YS, and what's going on there, watch the video. WARNING, not for doomtards, shills, trolls, or disinformants- this is factual information straight from the horse's mouth. Live with it.

new topics

top topics

join