It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are we suffering from "Wheat Belly" in North America?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+16 more 
posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I have just finished reading this book by William Davis, MD on the advice of my brother & sister-in-law who have been following it's recommendations for over 2 months now. They were originally drawn to it because one of their daughters is an insulin dependent diabetic (has been on an insulin pump for 4 years now) as two slices of whole wheat bread causes blood sugar to rise more than 2 teaspoons of regular sugar. In the process of implementing this dietary change found that they both are sleeping better, have more energy and less mind fog. Neither are in need of losing weight, but that aspect is what intrigues me.

The part that really caught my attention, and has me wondering about wheat more along the conspiracy lines is the reference to how this grain has been hybridized during the past century. Although they do not say that it has been genetically modified, only cross bred, taking it from a 4 1/2 foot tall stalk down to a 2 foot tall plant, increasing the size of the seed head and bumping up its gluten content, all the while shortening the growing period creating a product that is cheaper to produce but had never been tested prior to its use.

[taken from page 226 of the book]
"Convenience, abundance, and inexpensive accessibility have all been achieved to a degree inconceivable even a century ago. Fourteen-chromosome wild grass has been transformed into the forty-two-chomosome, nitrate-fertilized, top-heavy, ultra-high-yeild variety that now enables us to buy bagels by the dozen, pancakes by the stack, and pretzels by the 'family size' bag."

Can this change to wheat, a diet staple, really be a factor that has increased the waistlines of the average North American and caused an explosion in the number of people diagnosed with type 2 diabetes?

Parts of this concept ring true and makes a lot of sense to me, however, as I am a confirmed carb-lover and the thought of giving up wheat--and its many wonderful products--is a bit daunting, downright scary to say the least. I would like to hear from anyone who has read this book and put it to the test. I do have a long history of thyroid disorders and have been plagued by a spastic bowel (IBS) off and on for thirty some years (currently more on that off).

Looking forward to a hearty discussion.
Namaste,
YogaGinns

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Along the same lines is the introduction of gluten(from wheat) in our diets that has increased over the years and some people have developed allergies from mild to severe. Plus the 'modifications' mentioned may have an effect too. I think one can still enjoy carbs and breads and avoid wheat too, it just requires better shopping.

Might I suggest a 30 day regimen of vegan or vegetarian eating, just to see what kind of difference it makes. I have read numerous testimonies of the positive effects of this, and if one can genuinely tell a difference, they may actually be encouraged to stick to a vegan diet. Type 2 diabetes can be reversed by diet, and type one can be better controlled.

I know 3 people that had IBS and they completely beat it with a vegetarian diet, and one that beat Fiber Myalgia. Another friend was able to stabilize his blood pressure from diet and no longer takes meds.
We are what we eat I suppose...

Best wishes,
spec

ETA:

I have worked in health care for over two decades. My experience is that the many common ailments are often misdiagnosed, leading to symptomatic treatments rather than true cures, and often to the unnecessary use of prescription medicines and supplements. One area of particular concern for me is the frequent misunderstanding and misdiagnosis of the impact of grains, like wheat, on our health.

The scope of this problem may be larger than you realize. Conditions including arthritis, cancer, headaches, diabetes, fatigue, obesity, bloating, acne, yeast infections, irritable bowel, cramps, alcoholism, cholesterol imbalance, fluid retention, attention disorders, depression, anemia, hypertension, adrenal and thyroid dysfunctions may be preventable, treatable, and in many cases reversible through the cessation of wheat and other grain consumption.

Wheat, in particular, is so ubiquitous in modern society that many people fail to see its presence in their diet. Beyond being obvious ingredients in breads and commercial cereals, wheat and other grains find their way into many processed and even some so-called natural foods. Even people following HumanaNatura’s grain-free, natural diet program may unintentionally have wheat or other grains in their diets without realizing it.

www.humananatura.org...
edit on 24-6-2012 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   
I have gone on a gluten free diet in the last week or so and I feel so much healthier physically and mentally. Gluten really makes me sick. Listen to your body. It will tell you what it doesn't like and don't ignore it.
Jimmy

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by YogaGinns

I cannot say it often enough: sugar and starch are an addictive poison. It is addictive on the most basic and fundamental levels in the brain, resulting from the bodys craving for easy sugars for energy.

The human body is not meant to process more than 50-100g of carbohydrates a day. My body does best with about 30-40g/day. My son will gain weight when he exceeds 30g consistently, and my wife is even more sensitive to it. My mother can eat upwards of 100g/day without issue.

Since i started eating a low carb diet i have found more energy (and much, much more sexual stamina), less need for sleep, greater focus, and an expanded ability to think creatively. The last part surprises me, as sugar is such a required part of the brain.

But keep this in mind: the stuff you eat doesn't pass directly into your blood stream. The stuff in your blood stream is a product of your body. So the sugar you eat doesn't go to your brain (that is made as a biological process within the body) unless there is cancer in the body (your body WILL take what is needed from any source when forced to).

Stick to proteins and fibers. This is what the body needs to thrive.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

Spec, thank you for the link and reference to trying vegetarian eating. I have been wondering if there may be an allergy to certain foods and have been drinking Soy Milk for a couple of years now, actually like the taste of it. That doesn't seem to be a factor currently.

It is so hard to eat a "simple" diet when the highly processed and convenient foods are out there, and comparatively cheaper than good old fashioned home cooking.

Namaste,
YogaGinns

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by YogaGinns

Can this change to wheat, a diet staple, really be a factor that has increased the waistlines of the average North American and caused an explosion in the number of people diagnosed with type 2 diabetes?

There is an "explosion" of diagnosing diseases.

Who Discovered Diabetes? What is the history of Diabetes?

While some knowledge of the disease has been around for a long time i just cant see the numbers of people tested for it as being high at all expect in the last decade or so. For that matter, someone dies in an isolated area at the age from 50-100 years old death did not come from another hand, an accident or other attack and it was called "natural causes".

Years ago, and even as recent as probably the 80's, people still died from "natural causes"...well natural causes now has a name and a diagnosis so the numbers go up.
edit on 24-6-2012 by Malcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by dxdydz
I have gone on a gluten free diet in the last week or so and I feel so much healthier physically and mentally. Gluten really makes me sick. Listen to your body. It will tell you what it doesn't like and don't ignore it.
Jimmy

There seems to be more gluten free products available, even in the grocery stores now, and that makes me think there is truly something to this. I have done well with weight loss following the low gi (glycemic index) diet in the past, but think this one would be even more limiting and harder to stick with. Your results are encouraging.

Thanks for the reply,
YogaGinns

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   

There is something to it. Don't ignore the signs. As hard as it it to go on a gluten free diet it is worth it. I'm finally learning after 39 years on this planet. I've been sick all these years.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan

I cannot say it often enough: sugar and starch are an addictive poison. It is addictive on the most basic and fundamental levels in the brain, resulting from the bodys craving for easy sugars for energy.

The human body is not meant to process more than 50-100g of carbohydrates a day. My body does best with about 30-40g/day. My son will gain weight when he exceeds 30g consistently, and my wife is even more sensitive to it. My mother can eat upwards of 100g/day without issue.

Since i started eating a low carb diet i have found more energy (and much, much more sexual stamina), less need for sleep, greater focus, and an expanded ability to think creatively. The last part surprises me, as sugar is such a required part of the brain.

But keep this in mind: the stuff you eat doesn't pass directly into your blood stream. The stuff in your blood stream is a product of your body. So the sugar you eat doesn't go to your brain (that is made as a biological process within the body) unless there is cancer in the body (your body WILL take what is needed from any source when forced to).

Stick to proteins and fibers. This is what the body needs to thrive.

That is so well put, as I am a slave to sweets...I cannot stop eating once a cookie makes its way into my mouth the next six are gone without even a second thought. What I really find odd is that I can eat all kinds of junk like that and my fasting blood glucose is always in the normal range when my doctor tests me for sugar, go figure.

Namaste,
YogaGinns

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
wheat should defiantly be reduced in our diets. gluten is the biggest problem.
Corn is also very bad and should be completely avoided since it destroys our endocannabinoid system.
Rice is the safe and smart way to go.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Carbohydrates drive hunger. Your body prefers to take carbs and convert those to units of energy, as it is cheap and easy. So when the amount of sugar in your liver (where it is turned into fat) begins to drop, your body says "MOAR!!!" and you get hungry.

Eat low carb, the sugar will deplete itself (and you will pee a lot, and also see your BP normalize if it is high). After this you notice that your hunger goes away. You start to eat more because you realize you should, not because you are starving to death.

Starches and sugars are hard on the pancreas. Your body is keeping up now, but like an engine run low on oil, it causes damage that eventually makes it less able to resist what is causing it damage in the first place.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Malcher

There is an "explosion" of diagnosing diseases.

Who Discovered Diabetes? What is the history of Diabetes?

While knowledge of the disease has been around for a long time i just cant see the numbers of people tested for it as being high at all expect in the last decade or so.

Years ago, and even as recent as probably the 80's, people still died from "natural causes"...well natural causes now has a name and a diagnosis so the numbers go up.
edit on 24-6-2012 by Malcher because: (no reason given)

I know it seems like every other person you talk to these days are either diabetic or pre-diabetic, insulin resistant or have some time of food allergy. As you said, maybe people weren't diagnosed or given a name for the problem in the past, just that they are unwell.

My thinking it is more and more that its the food, and method of preparing, it that is at fault. But how do you virtually ignore an entire food group, especially one as large as whole grains. We have been told for years to eat more fibre and when I do, seem to have more discomfort.

Thanks,
YogaGinns

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by dxdydz

There is something to it. Don't ignore the signs. As hard as it it to go on a gluten free diet it is worth it. I'm finally learning after 39 years on this planet. I've been sick all these years.

Are you staying away from all grains or mostly the "wheat" glutens. As long as I could still have my bread and pasta, it wouldn't be that bad as I have eaten the rice and almond breads from the health food stores. Its just the slices are soo small.

Namaste,
YogaGinns

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Dr. Paul Glidden was on AJ thursday, he also believes whole grains and bread cause autism to develop in pregnant women. I would agree however, people were eating bread and grains prior then this autism spike. Dr. Glidden is very much against a heavy gluten diet.

m.youtube.com...
edit on 24-6-2012 by kat2684 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Big FF Texan:

Yes my blood pressure is high and the doctor keeps trying different medications to lower it, after I had my thyroid irradiated almost three years ago and I was taken off one pill that was working. Now it seems like a guessing game, with all the wrong answers, to find something else to take.

Although I'm sure that exercise and weight loss would go along way with reducing those numbers the carb habit is harder to kick than smoking was, going on nine years for that milestone. WhooHoo

YogaGinns

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I was about to wrie a thread on the Gluten factor and will still gather more info to do so but...

I have noticed a crazy increase in people coming into my bakery and seeking out GF products. From adults newly diagnosed as celiac to children and even entire families. I live in a town of perhaps 5,000 through the surrounding area and have NEVER seen this in any of my bakeries. This year seems to be bringing about some type of epidemic? Using the word lightly of course.

It's absolutely insane the amount of people traveling miles to get our stuff and we can't keep it on the shelves. We may switch the entire bakery over to GF.

Granted, some of these people are doing it from choice because they just feel better. And then there are always the followers clinging to some new eating fad but we ask why they are buying and it seems 90% fall into the celiac pocket. That and IBS which I believe doctors may be blanketing their dietary suggestions so as to move on to the next patient but...

It is definitely strange and something is going on with the wheat. That I can be sure of.

I have also talked to my bakers and all of them have an increased amount of phlegm in the mornings from the flour in the air...?

Peace

edit on 24-6-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by kat2684
Dr. Paul Glidden was on AJ thursday, he also believes whole grains and bread cause autism to develop in pregnant women. I would agree however, people were eating bread and grains prior then this autism spike. Dr. Glidden is very much against a heavy gluten diet.

m.youtube.com...
edit on 24-6-2012 by kat2684 because: (no reason given)

That is one valid point and underscores the idea that the wheat now is different than what we had, maybe even just 10 years ago. If the gluten content has been increased or even doubled the effects would be more profound in just one generation.

Increases in the diagnosis of ADHD, dementia, alzheimer's, diabetes, celiac and IBS have all been mentioned as possible outcomes from North Americas's carb addiction are noted in this book.

Thank you,
YogaGinns

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Oystermon
wheat should defiantly be reduced in our diets. gluten is the biggest problem.
Corn is also very bad and should be completely avoided since it destroys our endocannabinoid system.
Rice is the safe and smart way to go.

Oystermon:

I admit I had to go look up the endocannabinoid system and found this link.
www.youtube.com...

There is a part in the book that explains how the gluten/carb dependency affects the brain in the same manor as morphine creating addiction and cravings, and how the LDL cholestrol gets changed into smaller LDL by the liver VLDL function. It made more sense when reading it in the book than I can, but wheat appears to have a detrimental effect on almost all of the body's functions. I plan to look into this further.

Thanks,
YogaGinns

Thank you,
YogaGinns

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11
I was about to wrie a thread on the Gluten factor and will still gather more info to do so but...

I have noticed a crazy increase in people coming into my bakery and seeking out GF products. From adults newly diagnosed as celiac to children and even entire families. I live in a town of perhaps 5,000 through the surrounding area and have NEVER seen this in any of my bakeries. This year seems to be bringing about some type of epidemic? Using the word lightly of course.

It's absolutely insane the amount of people traveling miles to get our stuff and we can't keep it on the shelves. We may switch the entire bakery over to GF.

Granted, some of these people are doing it from choice because they just feel better. And then there are always the followers clinging to some new eating fad but we ask why they are buying and it seems 90% fall into the celiac pocket. That and IBS which I believe doctors may be blanketing their dietary suggestions so as to move on to the next patient but...

It is definitely strange and something is going on with the wheat. That I can be sure of.

I have also talked to my bakers and all of them have an increased amount of phlegm in the mornings from the flour in the air...?

Peace

That is certainly is interesting to hear of the large number of your customers requesting GF baked goods, and if most are experiencing better health as a result of this dietary change, WOW. The follow up responses from them after a few months of eating GF especially with a smaller population like you have would be like having a mini research study.

I really am interested in the fact that you mentioned the staff complaining of "phlegm" as that was my main reason for switching to soy milk as I have been having a lot of mucus in my throat and sinuses, thinking dairy to be the cause. I will now begin looking at gluten from that angle as well.

Kudos to you for providing the GF bread, as I also would rather fresh baked bread than the frozen loaves available at my grocery store.

Namaste,
YogaGinns

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11

Peace

That is certainly is interesting to hear of the large number of your customers requesting GF baked goods, and if most are experiencing better health as a result of this dietary change, WOW. The follow up responses from them after a few months of eating GF especially with a smaller population like you have would be like having a mini research study.

I really am interested in the fact that you mentioned the staff complaining of "phlegm" as that was my main reason for switching to soy milk as I have been having a lot of mucus in my throat and sinuses, thinking dairy to be the cause. I will now begin looking at gluten from that angle as well.

Kudos to you for providing the GF bread, as I also would rather fresh baked bread than the frozen loaves available at my grocery store.

Namaste,
YogaGinns

We haven't ruled out milk as the culprit actually. Coincidentally, that is also in our target range as the cause. We all drink milk and we also breathe flour all day.

Flour first...Milk next.

Peace

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join