It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 2001 World Trade Center Disaster: Summary and Evaluation of Experiences

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I came across an interesting article from The European Journal of Trauma and Emergency Surgery entitled "The 2001 World Trade Center Disaster: Summary and Evaluation of Experiences". Abstract is givien below. Get the full text HERE.

The author, John P. Pryor, was killed during his work in Iraq on Christmas Day 2008. Formerly: Division of Traumatology and Surgical Critical Care, Department of Surgery, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA, USA.

Abstract
Objectives: To collect and analyze data from deaths and injuries, and from evaluation of the responses by medical services and by fire, rescue, and police services 1 year after the terror attack on World Trade Center.

Methodology: Epidemiologic data were collected from all involved agencies and analyzed. The authors personal experience from working at the scene during the event and several other personal testimonies were also included in this analysis.

Results: Totally 2,762 death certificates were issued by the state of New York for victims of the terror attack. 1,361 (49.9%) of these were issued for victims whose remains could not be identified. All but nine of these victims died at the day of the attack. 77% of the victims were male, medium age 39 years. Of the dead were 342 fire fighters and paramedics and 60 police officers. A total of 1,103 patients were treated during the first 48 days in five key hospitals receiving the majority of the injured. 29% of these were rescue workers. 66% of the injured were male, average age 39 years. The most common injuries were respiratory impairment (49%) and ocular affection (26%), many severe. The most common trauma was lacerations (14%) and sprains (14%). Of those administered to hospital, 19% had trauma and 19% burns. Head injuries were registered in 6% and crush injuries in 4%. With regard to response from involved agencies, communication failure was the most common and difficulties in command operations and scene control were also prevalent.

Conclusions: The difficulties encountered were very similar to those commonly seen in major accidents or disasters, although on a great scale. Response plans have to be critically reviewed based on the experiences from this and other events, in order to preempt difficulties such as those described here in future responses to major urban accidents and disasters.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by lunarasparagus

So...what does this mean to you?

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by trysts

It was interesting to (for me) to read because it was a concise summation of the rescue response with info, testimony, and statistics. Some I'd never heard before, or had forgotten. For example:

The initial rescue response began almost immediately after the first aircraft impacted the North tower. The first alarm for fire units in lower Manhattan was quickly elevated to a third alarm by the first arriving battalion chief Joe Pfeifer. Each ‘‘alarm’’ would typically dispatch three engine and two ladder companies, which included approximately 25-30 firefighters aboard five trucks. Eventually a full five alarm (the highest level of response) would be activated. This would officially direct at least 25 trucks with 125-150 fire- fighters to respond directly to the scene [11]. When the scope of the disaster became apparent with the second aircraft crash, the fire dispatch center-initiated what was once referred to as a ‘‘borough call’’, the highest level of disaster response possible within the city. With the aid of the Starfire vehicle tracking computer system, all available units in Manhattan, a total of 121 engine companies, 62 ladder companies, 4 rescue squads and various other specialty companies were sent to the scene – a force equivalent to 22 alarms [12]. This massive response, almost half of the entire Fire Department of New York, was made without the usual authorization from a high-level FDNY officer. Dispatcher John Lightsey lamented, ‘‘Here in Manhattan we dispatched everyone, every company, from 125th street on down… [concerning the lack of authorization] We didn’t follow the rules; we went above the rules’’ [13]. By 9:00 am, 15 min after the first impact, Commissioner Van Essen estimated that 200 firefighters were already in the tower lobbies [14].

Thought others might find it interesting also, that's all.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   

"The initial rescue response began almost immediately after the first aircraft impacted the North tower"

videos of this on youtube , OSers cant see how weird it is for FEMA to be there the night before the attacks with dumper trucks and set up a HQ , C.D.I involved in the clean-up operation , the steel was shipped out of America A.S.A.P.

How blatant do they need to be ?

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by RockLobster

"The initial rescue response began almost immediately after the first aircraft impacted the North tower"

videos of this on youtube , OSers cant see how weird it is for FEMA to be there the night before the attacks with dumper trucks and set up a HQ , C.D.I involved in the clean-up operation , the steel was shipped out of America A.S.A.P.

How blatant do they need to be ?

FEMA was there on Sept.10th as part of the war game terrorist attack exercises scheduled to take place on september 11th 2001 on pier 92. FACT/
edit on 24-6-2012 by Shadow Herder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 04:46 AM
link   
"...very similar to those commonly seen in major accidents and disasters, although on a great scale."

Really?

Half of the victims disappeared, and over 1000 person´s DNA was totally lost. Is that common?

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 05:51 AM
link   
Is there mention of how many of the passengers on the planes DNA was recovered...Maybe best put another way....how many of the actual passengers on the planes were identified by their DNA?

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 06:03 AM
link   
reply to post by plube

He provided a link to the full text of the report in the OP.

Curious as to why you were asking though. What are you getting at?

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 06:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Classified Info

I am asking purely out of curiosity...i have seen conflicting reports..so i am putting it out there...I try not to get at anything...i just question....It is all about learning....and not just saying....I also have hours and hours of Norad tapes from the Day and many times when i listen the fighters that were in the air being sent off in strange directions...i know this is about the confusion of the war games....911 was and is a mess it has many many inconsistencies...but of course it was a Chaotic situation...but from all the chaos of the day Some sense should have come through...but the deceptions continue to grow.
I would like to upload the tapes but am having difficulty because of the size...but i would like to keep them in tact rather than split them into bits...
but back to the DNA...It would be interesting to know all aspects of identification....that is all.
I guess it is for my own personal data collection....i have seen stats of how many were from flt 175 an 11 and how they found approx over 19,000 bits to collect from and how over 200 bits were from one person alone...
I think all aspects of 911 need to be thoroughly questioned....for the whole picture to make any sense.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 07:02 AM
link   
reply to post by plube

I think all aspects of 911 need to be thoroughly questioned....for the whole picture to make any sense.

When you question each aspect of chaos you are bound to find things that only make sense if you sprinkle conspiracy dust on top.

Remember the military rule of thumb? "hurry up and wait" That has conspiracy written all over it. But when you factor in bureaucracy it makes sense (sort of).

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by samkent

I have seen your comments over and over...and they are not helpful to open discussion...they are derogatory and spiteful towards what you call TRUTHERS...rather than being conversational as to what and what does not make sense during 911.
I will not categorize you into a group of people but as an individual your negative remarks generalizing truthers is not something i care to respond to....If you actually have something to add without the quips then maybe a discussion could be had.

top topics

join