It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What to do, WHAT TO DO!?!?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 09:56 PM
link   
That's right, I'm talking about life. See, I'm 17 and there are so many carreer options I just don't know what to do!!!! I mean, I'm in my senior year of high school and running out of time! There are so many ways to make a good living that I really want to do, but each one cancels out the other. First, I was thinking of being an actor or director. I then realized that it would be MUCH too hard to get in to and MUCH too risky. I thought of being a firefighter, still am. Then there's the lawyer thing I wanted to do, I wanted to be a news anchorman which would also be too hard to get into. The job I have now at the movie theatre really isn't pushing me in any good directions. My dad and I were thinking of starting a small business since he already owns one, but we don't know which one to start. I thought about being a teacher, and even in the military! (Which I decided against) I have to make this decision soon as to what I want to do in college, and I'm starting to freak out about it!!! There's just so much damn pressure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Most of this stuff I don't even know where to get started and I don't want to be stuck in some dead-end job making nothing! I want to do something unique, but so does everyone! I've really thought about archiology and palientology (sp?) then Irealized that they don't really make very much money. I'm in marketing, and I'm a pretty good salesman so I was thinking about that. There's too many things to choose from! Other than this, there's still other stuff that I don't even know about. Book writer? News paper columnist? I really want to get involved in politics but I don't even know where the Hell to START!!!!! Don't you have to have connections and have gone to special colleges and things to be a senator? I've never been to any prep schools or anything...I think they look for that I've got my whole life ahead of me and I don't know what I'm going to do!

EDIT: Added more things.

[Edited on 5-10-2004 by Herman]

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Go to Amsterdam and "clear your head" so to speak.

Seriously...id go with the lawyer...make lotsa money, BUT youll have to defend people that you may not want too.

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamlandmafia
Go to Amsterdam and "clear your head" so to speak.

Seriously...id go with the lawyer...make lotsa money, BUT youll have to defend people that you may not want too.

Yeah, it would also take like 8 years of college and loads of law books to read through

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Why dont you take some time off from studying and travel and experience things before making a decision... because the odds are you'll change you mind again in your mid 20's - 30's anyways...

17 is way too young to be worrying about that # man, your young, have fun, see the world and enjoy yourself before its too late...

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 01:48 AM
link   
You're getting way too freaked out man, you need to relax, and enjoy being a teenager. Do like the other's have said and take some time off, go see what the world has to offer, travel around if you can. Hell, I'm 25 and still dont know what I want to do. If you dont know what you want from college, then go get your Associates in general studies, it's a great starting point to get into almost any other field you want to for your Bachelor degree. Trust me, take some time off before you jump right into college.

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 04:00 AM
link   
Here is the real question: What do you what? Not what you think you think you should want or what you think is right, but rather where do your passions lay?

You are at the age where you can aim for the sky and if you are a little off on your target, then you have time enough to aim again. Don't miss your chance!

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I know how you feel. Take everyone's advice, take a year off after highschool's done. I know what happens when you can't decide on things. Last year, I was a philosophy major at Laurentian University. Now, I'm at Sheridan College in a law and security program.

If all else fails, do it old school. Make a chart of courses, close your eyes, and throw a dart at it.

DE

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Ah to be that age again. I had the same delima and not being a people person at the time, I went into the sciences. If I had it to do over, I'd go to dentistry school. You can open your own practice, set your own hours and keep it as big or small as you want it.

top topics

join