It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Self-Defense: The Key To A Civil Society?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by SibylofErythrae

I'm not arguing that empowerment is a bad idea. I'm just suggesting that empowering a bunch of bullies might not work out the way people think.

I might be a little premature here, but I think the idea is that you get in on the ground floor developmentally, and you inculcate a sense of self-confidence, non-violence and solidarity from a young age as a philosophical practice used in conjunction with training. By default, you reduce the number of potential bullies, as well as increase the likelihood of non-lethal intervention on the part of bystanders.

It's not a MAD scene- it's a whole other paradigm.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Value of individuals, society that values itself, appreciation of the qualities of cohesive societies, while admiring the differences? AND empowerment.

Finding a place for all the tribes. Dare to Dream.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reply to post by galadofwarthethird

Agreed 100%. Nice to see some Mas Oyama vids too. I've only ever personally known one long term traditional practitioner, a guy I used to work with had been studying Heishin-Kai for about 12 years, and had only reached 3rd dan. Talking to him was always interesting, very softly spoken, unassuming type of guy and never really spoke of what he did in regards to Karate unless pressed for info. Even then he didn't talk about punches and kicks, but only about bettering ones self in a spiritual sense.

Gogan Yamaguchi (I'll call him The Cat, as I cant remember if I spelled his name right) was another interesting character. Reading about him got me into Shorin-Ryu when I was 12, but I learned quick I didn't have the discipline/maturity at the time to follow through. Lasted about 18 months for me, spent more time on my knuckles doing push ups for asking things like "what did he say?" and "what does that mean?"

When I think back on it, I really would have liked to continue on with this style but being young and silly, boxing at the local gym was good enough for me!

Awesome post mate, cheers

<< 1  2   >>

join