It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Forkless Friday - The Secret Service Now Demanding Salad Forks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I saw a thread on Michelle Obama's book signing where ID's and SS cards were required and then I saw this:

“As you know, we’re having another speaker and there is some Secret Service involved. So there’s a reason why there’s no knives at your table and the forks will be collected. ... And I’m not joking,” Regalado told the audience in a ballroom at Disney’s Contemporary Resort at Walt Disney World. “So, like the good Hispanic mother I’m here to tell you to please, eat your lunch.”

Still, there are a wide variety of breakfasts, lunches and dinners the president attends where diners still have the full complement of silverware as Obama speaks

It is not unreasonable for the secret service to make such a request, I mean, I can understand the butter knife, but forks? Really? Seems like they have thought of every possible contingency. Funny how no one in the government ever could have imagined planes crashing into buildings but they can forsee the day when someone forks the President. As some pointed out in the comment section below the story - They are worried someone will stick a fork in him and turn him over - he's done!

Can everyone agree the SS, yes, the SS, needs to grow up?

Forkless Friday

ColoradoJens

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
If you can get close enough to someone to fork them you can also hurt them with your hands or a pencil or anything else that is laying around. No ceramic plates or glass drinking vessels I hope they can be smashed to produce sharp edges. Oh brother.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Sounds like this is a fairly normal procedure:

From the article:

A Secret Service spokesman confirmed that the agency made the request, but said such requirements are common at large events where the president speaks at about the same time people are dining. “The Secret Service coordinates this process with staff and host committee to ensure tables are cleared of material that may be deemed hazardous prior to the arrival of the president,” Special Agent Max Milien told POLITICO.

"Any implication that this was unique for this event is completely inaccurate."

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
What's the point of going into public or having events if you're not even going to respect people.

If she will be speaking from that podium, and the SS cannot stop a person from advancing on the stage with a salad fork... well, it's time to just pack up and go home.
edit on 24-6-2012 by SyphonX because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Or he could just do like the pope and give speeches from inside an armored box. Surely that would be fork proof.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by SyphonX

If she will be speaking from that podium, and the SS cannot stop a person from advancing on the stage with a salad fork... well, it's time to just pack up and go home.

It's always amazing what one can learn from READING THE ARTICLE.

The Service usually doesn’t worry too much about impromptu stops where a potential assailant would have no reason to expect the president. Sometimes the president’s attendance at sporting events is kept secret until the last minute to avoid having to perform security checks on every fan. Indeed, there is plenty of silverware at large events like the White House Correspondents Dinner.

However, those on the dais are well known to the White House and Obama does not plunge into the crowd there. After the speech Friday, Obama spent about six minutes shaking hands along a so-called ropeline in front of the crowd.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
just goes to show really that the president has to worry about 'the people' getting at him with forks because of the choices he has made..or will make..

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
So it won't be Colonel Mustard in the dining room with the salad fork ?

The childish paranoia is astounding! Of all the advisors and other staffers that this sort of protocol has to go through, did nobody think of how absurd this is ?

What's that sound ? Oh- that would be the rest of the world laughing

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Once there were peasants with pitchforks, now the peasants are only allowed
sporks.

Two arms, two arms.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by SyphonX
What's the point of going into public or having events if you're not even going to respect people.

I think they are worried about throwing knives.

Haven't yo ever seen Desperado ? lol

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
This all seems to approaching the point of absurd.

Let save funds...the prez and company an eat at home and talk over TV. Pretty soon, the gatherings will be the person in an empty room and everyone watching through a window or TV screen.

Hope they do not miscount the forks...

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   
First they came for my forks and I did not speak up

Then they came for the toothpicks and still I did not speak up.

When they came for my spoon there was noone to speak for me.

Or something.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Possibly a conspiracy of the Spork lobby?

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
First they came for my forks and I did not speak up

Then they came for the toothpicks and still I did not speak up.

When they came for my spoon there was noone to speak for me.

Or something.

LOL Domo

new topics

top topics

join