It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christians, preach the Gospel. Do not debate.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Since I am new here many do not know that I am an ex-atheist and former debate junkie. During my time as an atheist I engaged in many debates online and in real life. I had friends online seeking me out to come help them in both religious and political debates on their Facebook pages. I was good at it and I was addicted to it.

I used to have religious discussions with a friend from work who was a Christian. No matter how hard I pushed he would never debate me, though. Once a discussion started heading into that territory he would cut it off. He would quote 2 Timothy 2: 14-16 and leave it at that. I took it as a sign of weakness and cowardice. Now I see it was wisdom.

In the Scriptures we are told to "go and make disciples of all nations" (Matthew 28:19) and "go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature." (Mark 16:15). These are two things that Christ commands us to do.

When Christ says to "preach the Gospel to every creature," does He mean get bend over and tell the snails about the plan of Salvation? No. He is saying that our lives should be out testimony, that our actions should exhibit the love, kindness, and compassion of Christ.

Nowhere does Christ say, "Engage in debates with people who disbelieve." Instead, when he sends the Disciples out he instructs them, "And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet. Verily I say unto you, It shall be more tolerable for the land of Sodom and Gomorrha in the day of judgment, than for that city." (Matthew 10:14-15). Christ knew the truth wasn't up for debate. That's why he told the Disciples to merely preach the truth and if someone doesn't accept what we have to say, we shake the dust off our feet and move on. And that is the model we are to follow.

Paul also points out, in the above mentioned 2 Timothy 2: 14-16, "Keep reminding them of these things. Warn them before God against quarreling about words; it is of no value, and only ruins those who listen. Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a workman who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth. Avoid godless chatter, because those who indulge in it will become more and more ungodly."

In this verse, Paul is pointing out that debate bears no fruit. There is no wisdom in it. As I learned in my time as an atheist, debate is all about your ego. People engage in debate because it feeds their ego. They strive for that victory in front of other people. That was definitely the case for myself. While I did care about the topic I was debating, my ego wouldn't allow me to back down from a debate. And I can't say I'm perfect. Sometimes that addiction comes back; sometimes I slip up and find myself in or near a debate. When this happens, I thank the Most High for the clarity and back out of it.

I'm merely passing this on as something that I've learned and hoping that through my experience fellow Christians can learn something that I once didn't comprehend. We should actively engage in polite discussion and civil discourse. But once it becomes apparent that the other person/people are interested in nothing other than debate, we should see that they seek not to learn but to attempt to discredit our faith or the Scriptures, then we should shake the dust from our feet and move on.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
What turned you from athieism?

Also, IMO, Christianity is a farce, it was a political tool created to unite the religions of Rome, and is mainly based on old Pagan religions, who incidently worshiped the sun.

A star.

We owe our lives not to Jesus, but to the Stars that *died* and gave us the atoms that provide our physical body.
edit on 24-6-2012 by Sinny because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   
I agree with you.
Don't feed the atheists.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinny

Well, Sinny, honestly it was a lot of things over a long period of time. I can't really pinpoint one exact thing. And I agree to an extent. Christianity is a tool that was created to control people. I do not follow Western Christianity™. I follow what the Scriptures say.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by shaluach

I don’t normally quote anything outside of Jesus own words, but here goes…

1 Peter 3:15

But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect,

I think you are right about people just looking to stroke their own ego’s, in debates, but having said that, sometimes people are genuinely seeking for truth and answers. There can sometimes, of course, be a fine line, between negative debating, and discussing a subject in a civil manner.

You say you were once “an ex-atheist and former debate junkie”, so I presume, you must have had a change of views during one, or some of your discussion/debates with Christians? And if that’s the case, then is debating such a bad thing, if it helps to compound someone’s position, or helps lead someone to the truth?

- JC

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   

"And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet. Verily I say unto you, It shall be more tolerable for the land of Sodom and Gomorrha in the day of judgment, than for that city."

That actually sounds kind of mean. It is saying, 'if they wont listen, do not waste time on them because you will have the last laugh when they are burning in hell'.

I wonder why the bible is so mean and scary? I grew up catholic and I had so many complexes from the terrifying stuff that was implanted into my brain. It was the worst thing about my childhood.

I find it offensive that christians 'preach'. And I am not the only one. The word 'preach' did not always have negative connotations.

Would it really be so hard to just leave everyone alone and stop trying to scare the hell out of people?

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Joecroft
There can sometimes, of course, be a fine line, between negative debating, and discussing a subject in a civil manner.

you must have had a change of views during one, or some of your discussion/debates with Christians? And if that’s the case, then is debating such a bad thing, if it helps to compound someone’s position, or helps lead someone to the truth?

Personally, I think the line between debate and discussion is very clear. And no it wasn't debate with a Christian that led me back to faith. Like I said, I believe that based on the evidence debating is unscriptural.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Germanicus

"And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet. Verily I say unto you, It shall be more tolerable for the land of Sodom and Gomorrha in the day of judgment, than for that city."

That actually sounds kind of mean. It is saying, 'if they wont listen, do not waste time on them because you will have the last laugh when they are burning in hell'.

I wonder why the bible is so mean and scary? I grew up catholic and I had so many complexes from the terrifying stuff that was implanted into my brain. It was the worst thing about my childhood.

I find it offensive that christians 'preach'. And I am not the only one. The word 'preach' did not always have negative connotations.

Would it really be so hard to just leave everyone alone and stop trying to scare the hell out of people?

Outside of church, I don't see much preaching from Christians, and if they do preach they do it nicely and with respect. Of course there is going to be one bad egg who takes a megaphone to a street corner and yells at people but that person doesn't represent Christianity.
IMO, atheists preach more than Christians.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by GmoS719

And as Scripture indicates we should be preaching with our lives, with our actions, not just with our words. Preaching may have "negative connotations" but it doesn't have to, nor should it. It's time to reclaim our faith.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Debating is unscriptual? Meaning you should regurguate what you have read, and repeat it blindly.

That's nearly as bad as "God" not wanting Adam and Eve to have knowledge.
If there was any truth to the Genesis story, god knows (excuse the pun) where we, the human race would be with out that nifty little sepernt. In a way, I understand the whole Lucifarian thing, he rules!

Just to clarify, I'm not deliberatly trying to be an arse, that's just where my thought process took me.

Does this count as conversation or debate?
edit on 24-6-2012 by Sinny because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by GmoS719

Outside of church, I don't see much preaching from Christians,

True.

And most christians are nice people. I do not see why they are drawn to the disturbing book though.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Those that relish being dead of Christ keep quotations of gospel, for that they don't know Jesus' way in the slightest.

www.thetruthseeker.co.uk...

And Jesus answered: “Seek not the law in your scriptures, for the law is life, whereas the scripture is dead. I tell you truly, Moses received not his laws from God in writing, but through the living word. The law is living word of living God to living prophets for living men. In everything that is life is the law written. You find it in the grass, in the tree, in the river, in the mountain, in the birds of heaven, in the fishes of the sea; but seek it chiefly in yourselves. For I tell you truly, all living things are nearer to God than the scripture which is without life. God so made life and all living things that they might by the everlasting word teach the laws of the true God to man. God wrote not the laws in the pages of books, but in your heart and in your spirit. They are in your breath, your blood, your bone; in your flesh, your bowels, your eyes, your cars, and in every little part of your body. They are present in the air, in the water, in the earth, in the plants, in the sunbeams, in the depths and in the heights. They all speak to you that you may understand the tongue and the will of the living God. But you shut your eyes that you may not see, and you shut your ears that you may not hear. I tell you truly, that the scripture is the work of man, but life and all its hosts are the work of our God. Wherefore do you not listen to the words of God which are written in His works? And wherefore do you study the dead scriptures which are the work of
the hands of men?”

edit on 24-6-2012 by MagnumOpus because: Christians dead of the way

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinny

Sinny, I merely point out what Scripture says. And no it's not about just regurgitating. Again, there's a line between discussion and debate. Discussion should be the means to reach understanding.

And yes the Most High does know where we would be without the temptation in the Garden. He knew how it would all turn out. He knew his plan from the beginning. And clearly without the temptation would have been worse.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by MagnumOpus

Completely off-topic.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by MagnumOpus

Haha, classic! Jesus himself denouncing the power of scripture.

Well, of course, we don't know if he said that, because he didn't write the book, see how flawed religion is?

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Germanicus
reply to post by GmoS719

Outside of church, I don't see much preaching from Christians,

True.

And most christians are nice people. I do not see why they are drawn to the disturbing book though.

It might be disturbing to you, but it isn't to me. Yes there is questionable events in the Bible.
All I can do is pray that God will help me understand them.
You can't forget about all the good things the Bible is though.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinny

No, Sinny. Magnum is quoting non-Scriptural books. Those "Essene" texts contradict the message of Christ. Even the quotation he posted goes against what Christ said concerning the law.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   

So he knew they would disobey? And he knew it would be worse if they didn't? This God confuses me!
And just for educational purposes, so I might understand Cristian view points better, and yoy God better, why does he kill so many? When he made us how we are? It almost sounds like we are a sadistic exsperiment for him.

Also can you define the difference between discussion and debate? Debate would be 2 differering view points no? Does that mean discussion can only occur between 2 people with the same view points?

Genuine questions

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shaluach
Personally, I think the line between debate and discussion is very clear

Really…

Well, could you explain to me the difference between the 2, in your own words…?

The thing is, I don’t really see the difference between the 2. You can be discussing something with a friend, for example, and as soon as you both disagree about an element of the discussion, it automatically becomes a debate. But this IMO, is all part and parcel, of discussing anything regardless of the topic; and just because 2 people disagree about something, doesn’t mean they can’t have a friendly discussion/debate, where both sides put his/her points across.

- JC

edit on 24-6-2012 by Joecroft because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by MagnumOpus
Those that relish being dead of Christ keep quotations of gospel, for that they don't know Jesus' way in the slightest.

www.thetruthseeker.co.uk...

And Jesus answered: “Seek not the law in your scriptures, for the law is life, whereas the scripture is dead. I tell you truly, Moses received not his laws from God in writing, but through the living word. The law is living word of living God to living prophets for living men. In everything that is life is the law written. You find it in the grass, in the tree, in the river, in the mountain, in the birds of heaven, in the fishes of the sea; but seek it chiefly in yourselves. For I tell you truly, all living things are nearer to God than the scripture which is without life. God so made life and all living things that they might by the everlasting word teach the laws of the true God to man. God wrote not the laws in the pages of books, but in your heart and in your spirit. They are in your breath, your blood, your bone; in your flesh, your bowels, your eyes, your cars, and in every little part of your body. They are present in the air, in the water, in the earth, in the plants, in the sunbeams, in the depths and in the heights. They all speak to you that you may understand the tongue and the will of the living God. But you shut your eyes that you may not see, and you shut your ears that you may not hear. I tell you truly, that the scripture is the work of man, but life and all its hosts are the work of our God. Wherefore do you not listen to the words of God which are written in His works? And wherefore do you study the dead scriptures which are the work of
the hands of men?”

edit on 24-6-2012 by MagnumOpus because: Christians dead of the way

That book was written in 1937 and there is no truth to it. Nothing to back it up.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join