It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GIF Avatars

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Would it be possible to stop people using animated GIFs in their profile avatar ?
I know most people will think I am being anal , but It distracts me when I am trying to read a post.
I suffered a near fatal head injury and some of the avatars here make me nauseous (flashing or pulsating pictures can induce epileptic fits )

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by pillock

I do not think you are being anal. I have seen that question brought up before a few times. I think there might even be an old thread about it. I do not remember the answer but there is a way to stop them from running. I am sure as long as this thread gets noticed, someone with the answer will drop by and help. Maybe there is something in your web browser you can check out.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Why not drape something over the left side of your screen to hide the avatars?

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by pillock

Yup, they are annoying.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by pillock
Would it be possible to stop people using animated GIFs in their profile avatar ?
I know most people will think I am being anal , but It distracts me when I am trying to read a post.
I suffered a near fatal head injury and some of the avatars here make me nauseous (flashing or pulsating pictures can induce epileptic fits )

Reduce the window size and move the avatar off the edge of your screen simple!

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 08:18 AM
link   
How come I can't see ANY avatars on the left hand side? When I first started lurking on ATS I could see them but as soon as I became a member they disappeared. Help?

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by pillock

Click on TOOLS and halfway down the page is an option to hide avatars.

Should solve your problem

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   
If you don't want to hide avatars like Chadwickus suggested? Just hit 'escape' (Esc) when you go from page to page. It stops the animation without loosing the avatars.

And yes, I agree with you - they're distracting!

peace
edit on 24-6-2012 by silo13 because: bold

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Since it sounds like gif animations in web pages may be a general problem for you, you might find the most useful solution is to turn off gif animations in your web browser altogether. The way to do this in IE is to go to tools, internet options, advanced tab, then scroll down and under "Multimedia" un-check "play animations in web pages." Voila, every gif animation will appear frozen on the first frame.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by pillock

Ok just a question....FLASHING ADD BANNERS....I am sorry about your condition...but i think your being a bit anal yes....I am allergic to perfume...i cannot sit on buses...i have trouble in restaurants....but because of my allergies should i ask all perfumes to be banned....Come on....Be reasonable....everytime you go back to say google there will be a flash of white will there not.....what about the flashing smileys when you write a post.

I can sympathize with your situation but it is your situation and not the thousand of others on the site...personally i like the gif avatars...many are very good and show good character of the people who use them.

but cool did not know you could disable avatars....learn something new everyday.

edit on 093030p://f16Sunday by plube because: (no reason given)

edit on 093030p://f17Sunday by plube because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by plube
[

....I am allergic to perfume...i cannot sit on buses...i have trouble in restaurants....but because of my allergies should i ask all perfumes to be banned....

YES! YES! YES!

I am cologne intolerant. Maybe we can start a movement. Spread the word that people dunk themselves in cologne because they're too lazy to take a bath. Let's embarrass the hell out of em!

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

welcome to my world brother...the world of horrible stink...it really gets up my nose....when i found my partner and said i was allergic to perfume is was like a bomb hit the masses...I was in Vegas one time....Standing in a cue with a bunch of bleached white bingo ladies and i had to leave the cue...and wait while my partner waited it out for me....the gag reflex is horrible....Lets start a ban the stink thread.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by plube
reply to post by jiggerj

welcome to my world brother...the world of horrible stink...it really gets up my nose....when i found my partner and said i was allergic to perfume is was like a bomb hit the masses...I was in Vegas one time....Standing in a cue with a bunch of bleached white bingo ladies and i had to leave the cue...and wait while my partner waited it out for me....the gag reflex is horrible....Lets start a ban the stink thread.

Even when I was a teen, breathing in those fumes gave me the shakes. It's just awful!

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by pillock

I can echo that loudly! My wife loves ATS, but is unable to read/post much because a few of the avatars cause here to have a seizure. I U2ed one member, who graciously changed it, but now I see them popping up again. How about it, ATS? Many people have a seizure disorder. Please make ATS a safe place to surf. If you have an animated avatar, please consider those who have these disorders.
Thanks in advance

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   
There's actually a line about that in the T&C

www.abovetopsecret.com...

A SMALL NUMBER OF USERS MAY EXPERIENCE EPILEPTIC SEIZURES WHEN EXPOSED TO CERTAIN LIGHT PATTERNS OR BACKGROUNDS ON A COMPUTER SCREEN OR WHILE USING THE WEBSITES. CERTAIN CONDITIONS MAY INDUCE PREVIOUSLY UNDETECTED EPILEPTIC SYMPTOMS EVEN IN USERS WITH NO HISTORY OF SUCH SYMPTOMS. CONSULT YOUR PHYSICIAN PRIOR TO USE OF THE WEBSITES IF YOU HAVE HAD ANY OF THESE SYMPTOMS, AND DISCONTINUE USE OF THE WEBSITES IMMEDIATELY IF YOU EXPERIENCE DIZZINESS, ALTERED VISION, EYE OR MUSCLE TWITCHES, LOSS OF AWARENESS, DISORIENTATION OR INVOLUNTARY MOVEMENTS OR CONVULSIONS.

So, the best option would be to disable the animations via one of the suggestions made.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I fly

. It's wonderful. I suggest you try it.

Go to Tools+, and scroll down a bit. You wills see this option: "Member Avatars Are Hidden"

I like it for two reasons: One, it means I dont have to look at everyones stupid avatars. I hate that crap.

Two: It means I have to read the CONTENT of a post, not just recognizing avatars.

edit on 24-6-2012 by stanguilles7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
You might wonder what it is that those with flashing avatars are trying to accomplish.
Are they attention whores?
Do they just think it's "neat"?
Either way it is inconsiderate of them to place them on a forum where they want people to stop and read what they have posted.

As to perfume....I stopped wearing it at my workplace as well as other public places after I learned that some people have really bad reactions to it.

If you change your browser setting to eliminate the moving gif in an avatar you also lose others that you do want to see.
I find the avatars to be an easy way to identify the poster, so I don't want to cause them to vanish.

What also bugs me are those who have their names in a color that cannot be readily seen.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I Thank you all for your help

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
use "adblock plus" on their avatar. -poof.....gone forever

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
too bad

top topics

<<   2 >>

join