It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

David Cameron declares war on welfare culture.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 07:24 AM
link   
So, we knew it was in the pipeline, well now Cameron is announcing his plans.

Radical new welfare cuts targeting feckless couples who have children and expect to live on state handouts will be proposed by David Cameron tomorrow. His bold reforms could also lead to 380,000 people under 25 being stripped of housing benefits and forced to join the growing number of young adults who still live with their parents. Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

This could be a good thing because there are a hell of a lot of people completely milking the system, however, there are also people who don't have parents to fall back on. Will there be safety nets in place for young people who don't have a safe home to go back to? I guess we will see.

Scratch that, it is noted in the article:

His plan to axe housing benefit for the under-25s will have exemptions for special cases, such as domestic violence, but he said: ‘We are spending nearly £2 billion on housing benefit for under-25s – a fortune. Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

2 billion eh? In the grand scheme of things, that is pittence but still, I agree that there are a lot of people taking the piss out of tax-payers money, including the government...

1 more thing: I really think the government should take a stand on the cost of childcare. One of the things that working parents struggle with the most is the cost of childcare. Imagine you are a couple bothe on minimum wage earning £1600 between you. Then between £500 - £1000 of that a month goes immediately into childcare, leaving you not a lot to pay the bills and have some sort of spare cash to actually do things with your family.

This is one of the major reasons a lot of people feel they are better off on benefits, I really think this issue needs to be addressed...
edit on 24-6-2012 by Wide-Eyes because: (no reason given)

+50 more 
posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   
David Cameron and his cohorts all need to be forcefully removed from parliament, and then executed. They are systematically removing every safety net, they are robbing from the poor so they and their corporate sponsors can get richer. They are screwing the vulnerable because they know they cannot fight back and the majority of the population are either too ignorant, too apathetic or too brainwashed to care. This man and his policies are evil, there is no other word for it.

+19 more 
posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   
BULLS**T!!

There's a social welfare AND baby boom happening round here!

There are NO jobs, and little education, they are *making* everybody welfare recievers!

Remember they want to get rid of the middle class *and* the working class, so its the elite vs the sewer rats.

edit on 24-6-2012 by Sinny because: (no reason given)

+12 more 
posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Tell all the foreigners doing jobs that British workers could do to sod off back to their own country, especially the bloody Polish.

There is a bakery up the road from me, I would say 80% of their workforce is Polish, there is an awful lot of unemployed folks in this town that would happily work there.

+8 more 
posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Wide-Eyes

# off Cameron.

People working can barely afford rent and bills and now you are going to take away housing benefits for those who can't find a job? Once again, # off Cameron.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 08:15 AM
link   
this is a disaster waiting to happen similar to the atos employment support allowance and the universal credit roll-out.
if this proposal is implemented, i suspect a rise in social disorder will occur.
i work all the hours i can even when injuries from a prior industrial accident renders me below par.
imo there is no stability or consistency in employment for the majority anymore. minimum wage, hire/fire at a whim, no legal aid to redress any wrong from an employer.
whats left again in my opinion is a network of clubs/affiliations loyal to the current co-alition who will enjoy a good salary and benefits as long as they tow the line. that said, the prior party initiated and were happy with the changes we are currently witnessing.
i know of many disabled people who are struggling with everyday existence and have been deemed fit for employment.
this situation will come to a head sooner or later whether it be deaths in the workplace or the gradual attrition of the vunerable through inability to cope.

martin amis (author) said in an interview broadcast yesterday that the uk has been in decline since ww11 and is currently obsessing with the superficial to fill the void or words to that effect.
shame on cameron for picking on the vunerable and deflecting attention onto celebs who wish to enjoy legal tax breaks, something a lot of the cabinet seem to have enjoyed for many a year.
f.

edit on 24-6-2012 by fakedirt because: fubar fubar

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Firefly_
David Cameron and his cohorts all need to be forcefully removed from parliament, and then executed. They are systematically removing every safety net, they are robbing from the poor so they and their corporate sponsors can get richer. They are screwing the vulnerable because they know they cannot fight back and the majority of the population are either too ignorant, too apathetic or too brainwashed to care. This man and his policies are evil, there is no other word for it.

Testify!

I am against capital punishment but when we take back our governments I think a few exceptions would be a good thing. As long as its legal, I think it would be a sensible thing to execute a great many of the oligarchy. We will need to make sure they do not forget.

edit- A death sentence for treason is fair enough. The Egyptians sent Mubarak to jail for life. What we do with the treasonous traitors should be the first thing we all address. And we should not forget about guys like Tony Blair and George Bush and John Howard.
edit on 24-6-2012 by Germanicus because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-6-2012 by Germanicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Wide-Eyes

Now is he going to declare war on rich tax dodgers like his father who
get out of paying millions in tax with the same vigor ?

David Cameron's father ran a network of offshore investment funds to help build the family fortune that paid for the prime minister's inheritance, the Guardian can reveal. Though entirely legal, the funds were set up in tax havens such as Panama City and Geneva, and explicitly boasted of their ability to remain outside UK tax jurisdiction. At the time of his death in late 2010, Ian Cameron left a fortune of £2.74m in his will, from which David Cameron received the sum of £300,000.

Cameron family fortune made in tax havens

But still these loopholes are left open.

cant think why

edit on 24/6/2012 by skuly because: we'er all in this together

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Mandatory drug testing for welfare recipients and a certain amount of income for families to have babies. Once you have your limit they temporarily fix you to have no more until you can prove you can afford it, then they undo it for you. Prevent these folks from bringing kids into world that they truly dont care about, and just ignore most of the time unless they are wailing on them. These little people grow up to be like their parents most of the time...If they survive the # their parents brought them through to gain more money.
I pay 560 dollars in child support for a child i get on weekends.His mother is a registered nurse making 20 plus an hour. I own my own business that is struggling in economy right now. She goes on 3 vacations a year with 3 kids she has all by different fathers.Goes on two cruises a year by herself or with the newest flame in her life. Has had 15 "boyfriends". Been married two times and lived in 12 different houses each time uprooting my kid to a different school.All this in the mere 10 years my son has been alive.She shows her children relationships dont matter, and love is apparently something you hang on your sleave, and stability ... Hell hes seen NO stability. Only bit he sees is everyother weekend at my house. After her i re-married for 8 years now same woman,got a beautiful little girl also.My son has been labeled as add, bi-polar,aspergerish also, when in reality she is the one to blame for his acting out.Point is not only poor people beat the system.This professional woman is doing a fine job at it. This is why i pray that this cruise shes taking this week will be her last as she falls overboard into the propellers of the ship. Sorry got on a rant...My bad!
Your telling me that it takes 12000 dollars a year for my son to survive. My half is roughly 6000 per year. She has two others she soaks the system for remember.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   
By the way if i had the money i would give my son 30,000 a year.Hes worth it.I figured it out and on my own w/out courts i get to give my daughter around 5500 dollars to survive on and shes in a private school.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   
All i got to say...yet again the rich getting richer off the backs of the poor.....but what is the real conspiracy....It is to knock back the youth.,....Create more disillusioned youth...WHY?....So that they fill the Armies with them for the coming wars...Simple as that.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Is it a right for someone to live in a house they cannot afford? No.

A few years ago, housing benefit was given to temporarily help people caught short.

Now, housing benefit is just another way people can subsidise their lifestyle. Instead of living in a shared house (as in the past) people insist on wanting sole occupancy of a flat or a house and if they cannot afford it, then housing benefit will make up the difference.

Housing benefit has led to the increase in rents because landlords know that the State will pay. Remove the State subsidy and rents will fall.

This has got nothing to do with class war, and everything to do with a part of the welfare system that has just got out of control.

Regards

+15 more 
posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   
There are no doubts that the UK's benefit system requires a radical overhaul.

But this reeks of popularism and is just another part of Cameron's relentless drive to take this country backwards to something like a Victorian society along with all the inequalities and injustices that were accepted then.

The corporate whores, the bankers, the CEO's, the investors, the landed gentry etc are all doing very well thank you very much under Cameron and their wealth is growing.
In addition Cameron is seeking to both marginalise and demonise large sections of society.

This move would apparently save a maximum of approximately £2billion - Vodafone were recently 'let off' with approximately £5billion of their estimated £6billion tax bill.

Maybe if we spent more time trying to get major corporations and their Chief Executives along with other 'elites' etc to pay their tax bills we could keep our public libraries etc open and spend a bit of time and money on transforming our Welfare System into something that provides adequately for those deserving and in most need and something in which we can all be proud of.

Cameron's domestic policies and 'austerity cuts' are nothing but thinly veiled attacks on the ordinary, everday people of this country.

+3 more 
posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by paraphi

Housing benefit has led to the increase in rents because landlords know that the State will pay. Remove the State subsidy and rents will fall.

Council houses were sold off and very few new houses were built to replace them.
This forced young, newly married couples etc into private housing.
The simple laws of supply and demand then took over resulting in a massive increase in house prices etc.

In addition wages have significantly decreased in real terms with very few people getting anywhere near index linked increases and new jobs nearly all pay minimum wage.
People on minimum wage, low incomes or unemployed can not afford inflated prices charged in the private housing market and so are forced to seek housing benefits.

Not everyone on benefits are scrounging, layabout scumbags - the vast majority want to work and contribute to society - but a fair days pay for a fair days work.

This country should be looking at ways to move forward and progress as a society etc yet all we see are regressive and repressive policies.

We need urgent and radical reform.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   
well said freeborn...good to see logic over baseless statistics....If they went after the actual corporates that owe money...it would more than cover the benefits....Fair days pay for a fair days work....what a concept....it would be nice....and yes in real terms peoples disposable income has severely dropped....People on the system are not a bunch of lazy scroungers they are people who have very little opportunities for the most part...As far as some mentioned immigrants...I am an immigrant from Canada...have never took one cent in benefits of any kind....I have worked my butt off in the last ten years....Signed a document saying i would not use public funds...and believe me there has been some scary moments.
I do truly think this is a manufactured recession to fill the armies for the coming onslaught ....It happened pre WW11....so lets see what happens...can have all them rich kids filling the armies now can we...also if there were to many rich people...no one would want to give up all their possessions to fight a war now would they.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Let me tell you what's going to happen..!!

Hackney home of the London Riots and the place i dwell.. there are about 8 in 10 20-25 year old's on benefit that have their own dwelling places.. these are hard knock kids that have grown up in very competitive and challenging neighborhoods.. none of them want to work for a rotten government and that's the plain simple and honest truth.. i know because i speak to these young adults everyday..

Here's the problem.. stop their housing benefits and they lose their properties.. they get evicted and lives get ruined..

Some of these young adults have kids and so to will they go homeless..

You really think over 1 million 20-25 year old's living in London receiving benefits which keep them housed, remembering these are hard nut minded people.. are going to take this lying down...

HELL NO!!!!!

More riots are guaranteed and not the sort where shop front windows are destroyed and looted but the type of riots where prime minister's kids are kidnapped and held for ransom.. where politicians are lined up and shot dead..

Trust me i know how these young people think... they will have nothing to lose.. they won't think twice before running up to 10 downing street strapped with grenades!!

You heard it here first...

CAMARON Beware!!!

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   
it seems cameron et al are poking the wasps nest with a long stick. is this to get a negative reaction so as to justify imposing more draconian measures on society? as rowan williams has stated regarding camerons big society idea, waffle! i concur with the guy. this is brewing up to be a formidable beating down of the ordinary folk here in the uk.
the vunerable are being abandonded via decisions on computer databases that do not reflect actual life and the struggles they face. i have witnessed myself through assisting individuals to medicals/paperwork and general day to day help on an unpaid basis the difficulties at hand and the lack of empathy and/or consideration of their needs. it is quite sickening what i have experienced over the past couple of months regarding how the vunerable are perceived and treated.
are the commons and lords really that out of touch with reality or is this intentional? i really don't know.
simply put what little hope i had in the 'leaders' doing the right thing has just about evaporated.
f.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by plube
All i got to say...yet again the rich getting richer off the backs of the poor.....but what is the real conspiracy....It is to knock back the youth.,....Create more disillusioned youth...WHY?....So that they fill the Armies with them for the coming wars...Simple as that.

Nahh the Army funding is being massively cut in the UK. Its more likely that they are wanting to generate more criminals so they can arrest them and force them to work for nothing in prisons.

You know the like the US model.
edit on 24-6-2012 by DrFaustus because: spelling

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrFaustus

Originally posted by plube

Nahh the Army funding is being massively cut in the UK. Its more likely that they are wanting to generate more criminals so they can arrest them and force them to work for nothing in prisons.

You know the like the US model.
edit on 24-6-2012 by DrFaustus because: spelling

either way, it's a great opportunity for the government to control the destinies of vast amounts of disadvantaged youth who will have no option other than take what is offered or go without, victorian styley as freeborn states.
f.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   
This would be great!
If all the money "saved" weren't going to be "lost"

Government cutbacks are only acceptable when that money won't go into a higher salary for the government.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join