It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

turkish jet in international waters

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Dustytoad

It was'nt a fighter jet, it was a reconnassiance aircraft - spying no doubt

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by bluemirage5

Technically it's both. It's a recon plane based on a fighter airframe. It started life as the F-4 Phantom, and a few models later, became the RF-4.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

True, I have my reservations about the F4E though. It sticks out like a big thumb in the sky, sounds 10 times louder than any other modern aircraft, you can't miss this thing coming. Might just as well land it on the beach head. pop the canopy and yell " here I am !" and pull out a Kodak.

That kids camera balloon and you tube would make a better surveillance device.

edit on 25-6-2012 by SJE98 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by SJE98

If it's used the way that I am hypothesizing, then it was never supposed to get that close. My theory is that it was carrying an ELINT pod, and was doing an RC-135 type mission. The -135 stays in international waters, and approaches the airspace as close as they dare, trying to get SAM sites to come up. If they do, they identify what kind it is, and where it is.

I suspect that they were doing something similar, hunting for new SAM sites, or radar sites.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

I was thinking maybe the Turkish AF made some on the fly quick mods, maybe even the previous day, and said hey lets try it out. Thats the only reason I could think of to take the phantom that close to the coat line. It's a big gamble. I would never consider even thinking about cursing the coat to detect sam sites in and F4; I know the outcome will not be good. Your right the 135 is the safest choice.

The ELINT might be what they slapped on under the wing. Sort of hinders the performance of the aircraft when evading a missile. lot's of drag and your climb rate could be cut by a big factor. When your evading a sam you need too climb fast at full power, not to mention a few other maneuvers. if they put Elint on,well then game over.

It's a good theory. You could very well be right on that. That F4E could have evaded that Sam, but if it had the ELint on , No way, no how.

edit on 25-6-2012 by SJE98 because: (no reason given)

new topics

<< 1   >>

join