It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Violent protests in Tel Aviv; banks vandalized; 85 arrested

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 01:37 AM
link   
I just thought to share some news from my country, as most likely you won't hear about it in the MSM in your country.

The protests for social justice has started again, although last year's protests were peaceful although more than 500,000 people were protesting at some point. I wasn't in my country at that time, but I know that sadly the protesters were being distracted by live music, and all kinds of promises from the government for social justice. However, as expected, nothing has changed and things got only worse and prices went up on almost all basic living expenses, making it even more difficult to have these expenses covered by the comparable low wages.

Last Friday, hundreds of people have tried to set up tents on a garden nearby a busy street in Tel Aviv, but they met a suppressing police force and they simply denied by force to let these people place their tents and some of the protesters got beaten up and arrested. This has made the public's anger at the police and government to raise into new levels, and last night the protests have turned violence.

Violent night in Tel Aviv: Social activists in Tel Aviv clashed with police across the city Saturday evening, at one point shattering windows and charging into banks in what is shaping up as unprecedented socioeconomic riots. Some 85 people were arrested throughout the night.
The demonstrators claimed police used uncalled for violence during Friday's rally, holding up signs reading "Don't touch my body, I have a right to speak up" and "Dear police officer, please don’t disrupt this citizen in performing his duty."

Soon after, violent clashes erupted at various locations across Tel Aviv, including at banks near the city's Rabin Square. Protestors shattered windows at some banks, in one case making their way into the bank with a tent, the symbol of last year's housing protest, and barricading themselves inside.

Link to the story in Ynetnews

I'm guessing we haven't seen the end of it, this worldwide revolution will not be stopped.

Thank you for reading. Peace.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Well something says if they keep on the path that they are going, it's probably going to wind up here. As a worker myself with not enough hours, and a check that barely makes it past xxx at times in a 2 week period. They so deserve it.
Hope the protestors kick their arses. Because the people controlling the money and the wages really need a serious wake up call. Seriously, like the prices are higher than my paycheck it's ridiculous and they expect you to survive off that? Hope the protestors can make a difference.
edit on 24-6-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Is this the same story ?

Scores of demonstrators clashed with police, smashed bank windows and blocked roads in Israel's commercial capital Tel Aviv overnight during a protest against the arrest of an activist. Police said they detained 85 people at the rally, the latest sign of a nationwide protest movement demanding social reforms and affordable housing. People at the rally said they were angered after a protest leader said she had been injured while being taken into custody at a demonstration in Tel Aviv on Friday. Hundreds of people gathered in the city late on Saturday and parts of the crowd clashed with police into the early hours of Sunday morning, live television footage showed.

Hundreds protest activist's arrest in Tel Aviv

join