It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm going to hell I guess?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   
It was a simple ceremony. My wife, myself, my kids, and some of my wife's friend's kids and families. The pastor basically said prayers to the keeping of family, etc, and trying to follow the way God intended. I am fine with all of this. What I still find strange is that after this when I called my mother and let her know how it went she immediately went into a "you can't have any swearing in your home now. You can't have any alcohol or smoking in your home. You can't..." you get the picture. Crazy thing is she came from a mildly religious family. I grew up believing in God, but I have never went to a church service. This really isn't a conspiracy post I guess...more of a validation post. I told her I believe in God but that I DO NOT by any means believe that someone can tell me or my family HOW to approach that. I then went off about how Catholic (granted this was not a Catholic ceremony by any means) holidays and beliefs mimic a lot of pagan ones that they supposedly needed to convert and that the Bible was really stories that were written for moral guidance; not the word of God himself. She seemed to get a little irate. I told her I was happy that the pastor was apparently from a unitarian (sp?) church because he was very laid back and cool with everyone. She has been going to a church recently on a "religious" (get that? haha) scale ie I can't miss any Sunday if need be.

Here is my take. I told her that when I say what I think I generally get 100% agreed or else "you're going to hell".

1. I believe in God. I always have and I always will.
2. God is not what most people think of when they go to church/pray/etc. God is the life source of everything.
3. The Bible is great in the sense that it was a good moral compass in early development. That is questionable though too.
4. The Bible is NOT the word of God. It is translated, written by man, re-translated, used for x, y, z, influence and so forth.
5. Atheists even understand what is right and wrong. The 10 commandments were good but that is not really a Christian foundation.
6. Christianity is fragmented and makes no sense. There are so many branches that they don't even know what they're doing. Believing in God is far simpler than this.
7. Anyone who prays or meditates is doing the same thing. Praying to God (as I call it) in different ways. Who is to say which way is right?
8. On that topic, Muslims are doing the same thing Christians are other than the ones that blow themselves up at markets. Pretty sure the higher power does not approve of that.
9. Swearing, drinking, smoking, etc are fallacies. I don't smoke anymore. I drink sometimes. I swear a lot. That doesn't mean God hates me. Do you honestly think this higher power is concerned with your speech? Shut it.
10. Science and spirituality go hand in hand. They are not enemies. What is unknown is where beliefs/faith come in.

So am I a kook? I think I have a pretty good handle on my life. My family is happy. I am comfortable in saying I don't feel that I'm going to burn in hell tomorrow if I die. Discuss? This topic always intrigues me.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by sliznut

The Bible is NOT the word of God. It is translated, written by man, re-translated, used for x, y, z, influence and so forth.

This is of truth. You will not burn in hell, no where even in the bible does it state this.

Do you honestly think this higher power is concerned with your speech?

Only in the intent to the receiver.

Science and spirituality go hand in hand. They are not enemies. What is unknown is where beliefs/faith come in.

I wish all would come to this realization.

You are doing just fine. When man starts judging you, that is their mistake.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Glad to see there are others out there! Thanks for the feedback!

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by sliznut

In my humble opinion....organized religion is not God's design. This is a man-made device which has widely been used to control people. I believe that there is no need for middle-man in my relationship with God. What better way for the devil to divide and conquer us than through organized religion. We are born with the innate knowledge of God, and of right and wrong. I don't have all the answers, nor do I need them. I continue to seek to understand my God through faith. Just keep in mind that we can never make or mold God into what we want Him to be to fit our wants. I hope this helps a little, and I hope you find your truth. If you have any questions, there are many people on here that will be happy to give you theirs. Don't be discouraged by what can seem like an overwhelming force of negativity regarding this subject. Good luck to you.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   
I am not religious in any sense of the word. But I have seen mind over matter actually work.

There have been tests that validate this.

If you believe something strongly enough you will see manifestations of your belief. I don't think it is anything supernatural, just the power of the human mind.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by watchitburn
I am not religious in any sense of the word. But I have seen mind over matter actually work.

There have been tests that validate this.

If you believe something strongly enough you will see manifestations of your belief. I don't think it is anything supernatural, just the power of the human mind.

That in itself is a somewhat amazing power though.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by lambs to lions
reply to post by sliznut

In my humble opinion....organized religion is not God's design. This is a man-made device which has widely been used to control people. I believe that there is no need for middle-man in my relationship with God. What better way for the devil to divide and conquer us than through organized religion. We are born with the innate knowledge of God, and of right and wrong. I don't have all the answers, nor do I need them. I continue to seek to understand my God through faith. Just keep in mind that we can never make or mold God into what we want Him to be to fit our wants. I hope this helps a little, and I hope you find your truth. If you have any questions, there are many people on here that will be happy to give you theirs. Don't be discouraged by what can seem like an overwhelming force of negativity regarding this subject. Good luck to you.

You pretty much just summed up my thoughts! I even told my mom tonight that I can't recall the specific situation (I've never actually read the whole Bible) but I am almost positive Jesus himself said something about people do not need a church. You may be able to fill me on this better.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   
You mentioned that you believe in God. I'm not sure what you mean. I don't know what you mean by "believe in." I believe in gravity, I believe I will die, I believe that I can't paint. What's your meaning?

And your belief in God. How do you see God? It sounds like you might be talking about a force in the universe that is basically energy. What does this energy do? What is it like? Does it think, or just exist?

I approve of you posting a thread asking for support or encouragement, I just don't know what I'm supposed to be supporting.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by sliznut

Well, if you're going to hell I'll be seeing you there. Jesus says he was considered a glutton and a wine bibber because of his actions and said that he only had a short time left here. That's in the bible somewhere. Jesus also says "they have their church" when confronted with why he never preached in the Jewish churches. I go to church occasionally, like on Christmas Eve or Easter every few years. No big deal, I can still pray to god at home. I'll pray to god directly, I'm not into asking someone I never knew to pass it on. Maybe I will never have salvation but Oh well, guess I just continue on trying to be as honest as I can and try not to lie at all. I don't have the church's forgiveness of my sins so I just will try not to sin instead. I'd cut the swearing down though if I were you, only swear when you really need to get a point across or it won't have as much power.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by sliznut

2. God is not what most people think of when they go to church/pray/etc. God is the life source of everything.

Spin it any way you want, but you're still just another tool molding an ideology to their liking....

Imagine if you had decided to think for yourself - you wouldn't have to re-define terms...

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952
You mentioned that you believe in God. I'm not sure what you mean. I don't know what you mean by "believe in." I believe in gravity, I believe I will die, I believe that I can't paint. What's your meaning?

And your belief in God. How do you see God? It sounds like you might be talking about a force in the universe that is basically energy. What does this energy do? What is it like? Does it think, or just exist?

I approve of you posting a thread asking for support or encouragement, I just don't know what I'm supposed to be supporting.

Yes and Yes I guess. I think it's all the same. I think the new agers and the old school Catholics and pagans etc are all doing the same thing in different ways. I honestly think to actually sit and think of God in a human form/idea is insane.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by facelift
reply to post by sliznut

Spin it any way you want, but you're still just another tool molding an ideology to their liking....

Imagine if you had decided to think for yourself - you wouldn't have to re-define terms...

Pretty sure I AM thinking for myself there bro. Obviously you don't know me and it can be difficult to convey some situations through the web. But if I hadn't THOUGHT FOR MYSELF I would be slobbering all the crap I just outlined and cowering in a corner. Either you didn't read what I wrote entirely, or you just didn't care. Either way, I don't care. Good job at trying to play the higher/lower game. Late.
edit on 24-6-2012 by sliznut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by sliznut

So am I a kook?

Absolutely not... I say again, a_b_s_o_l_u_t_e_l_y not.

I did not find fault with any item on your list. I find you a mature and reasoning person who knows so much more than most. Like knowing the bible was written by man and is flawed. Like spirituality, not religion. Like real prayer, etc.

However, if you are married to someone who has her belief system centered around churchianity, you will have trouble down the road. The modern church is so focused on their interpretation of things and imposing that definition on everybody else. It is a heavy, heavy guilt burden that indoctrinated people bear to let that go (and not go). Their religious beliefs are based on "going to church". Not going is a sin.

I don't know how that works right now between you and yours, but you will have trouble down the road whether you personally go or not. That spell to go to church is so strong that some people (the "faithful") will always feel guilty for not going. If the schedule says go every week then you are "going to hell" if you don't attend.

Damned if you do, and damned if you don't. I am not so worried about your mother and her best wishes about drinking and cigs, she's just being your mother. You can tell her, "Yes mom, okay mom". I wouldn't even worry about cussing. There is no such thing as "dirty words". Its another guilt trip people use to control you when you are around them.

The real warning about cussing comes from "cursing" which comes from putting a curse or hex on people. "Swearing" is too. " I swear to God, that if you ever do that again, I..." Thats a threat or promise to get someone back. Or using a term like, "Damn you". Or, "Goddamn you." or, "Goddamn it". That is invoking Gods name (using Gods name in vain). Saying "Jesus Christ"; also in vain. Also placing actual curses or hexes on people. "A curse on you!" Bad ju ju.

Now a days we think it means don't say words like shlt and arse and such. Those are funny and have little to do with cursing or cussing or swearing as originally intended.

The real concern here is where you and your wife stand in regards to church going and bible thumping and modern organized religious interpretations of the bible. Good luck with that in the long run. Never argue about it with a church bot, there is only dogma and ridicule. Leave it alone for now, and let her practice her beliefs if she wants. If you try to fix her, people at church will tell her you are the devil trying to tear her away from God.

Try and always treat her with kindness and set the example I know you are. This should win her over in time. She will see your true love by example and slowly draw away from the clutches of the other church bots on her own. People at church talk a good line about helping others, but really they don't. They mostly just give money or "pray for you" using "going to church" as their excuse to say they are religious and or "spiritual".

You already know that it seems, don't doubt it. It will work itself out in the end.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by sliznut

Your just doing what most people do.

As society changes people take what they like about other peoples delusions and add them to their own. All religion is about self-comfort and delusion.

So what ever makes you feel good is what youll believe. just like when jews were murdering people with to much skin on their penises.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 01:10 AM
link   
reply to post by sliznut

Your self will that you call free will cannot in of itself be good. The harder you try to not do things you were told were bad and evil the stronger it will become and the more you will do them. The dark energy will come and try to accuse you and tell you of your failure. Laugh at the lie and say my God is bigger than you.

Surrender and ask for help....you will receive it. Ask God to help get rid of your old ideas about everything....even how you interpret the gospel, your dellusional parts that was taught and engrained that define what it means to serve God, your delusional interpretations what it means and looks like when God is working in your life. Surrender All of it. He will help you.

"My yoke is easy and my burden is light"
Matthew 11:30 In like flynn...cant undo it. Signed sealed and delivered

You will be ok.

By the way hell is here and not what you were told.
edit on 24-6-2012 by superluminal11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 01:15 AM
link   
reply to post by sliznut

5. Atheists even understand what is right and wrong. The 10 commandments were good but that is not really a Christian foundation.

Atheists may be ahead of fundamentalists who support things like the Zionist regime illegally occupying Palestine, and the invasions of Afghanistan, Iraq, Libya, Syria, and Iran thinking it is somehow their "Christian duty" to kill Gog and Magog, or some such rubbish.
edit on 24-6-2012 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 03:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by superluminal11
reply to post by sliznut

Your self will that you call free will cannot in of itself be good. The harder you try to not do things you were told were bad and evil the stronger it will become and the more you will do them. The dark energy will come and try to accuse you and tell you of your failure. Laugh at the lie and say my God is bigger than you.

Surrender and ask for help....you will receive it. Ask God to help get rid of your old ideas about everything....even how you interpret the gospel, your dellusional parts that was taught and engrained that define what it means to serve God, your delusional interpretations what it means and looks like when God is working in your life. Surrender All of it. He will help you.

"My yoke is easy and my burden is light"
Matthew 11:30 In like flynn...cant undo it. Signed sealed and delivered

You will be ok.

By the way hell is here and not what you were told.
edit on 24-6-2012 by superluminal11 because: (no reason given)

You seem to be missing the fact that nothing was ingrained in me or learned.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 03:35 AM
link   
reply to post by sliznut

You have been given free agency to choose God or not.

If you have chosen him, your soul is his church.

Put your faith in no man, only your God.

No matter what Your Gods name is, Do not judge another persons God.

We wont know the answer till we get there right? I know you want to respect your mom but remember shes only a human.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 05:42 AM
link   

1. I believe in God. I always have and I always will.
3. The Bible is great in the sense that it was a good moral compass in early development. That is questionable though too.
4. The Bible is NOT the word of God. It is translated, written by man, re-translated, used for x, y, z, influence and so forth.
6. Christianity is fragmented and makes no sense. There are so many branches that they don't even know what they're doing. Believing in God is far simpler than this.
7. Anyone who prays or meditates is doing the same thing. Praying to God (as I call it) in different ways. Who is to say which way is right?
8. On that topic, Muslims are doing the same thing Christians are other than the ones that blow themselves up at markets. Pretty sure the higher power does not approve of that.
9. Swearing, drinking, smoking, etc are fallacies. I don't smoke anymore. I drink sometimes. I swear a lot. That doesn't mean God hates me. Do you honestly think this higher power is concerned with your speech? Shut it.
10. Science and spirituality go hand in hand. They are not enemies. What is unknown is where beliefs/faith come in.

So am I a kook? I think I have a pretty good handle on my life. My family is happy. I am comfortable in saying I don't feel that I'm going to burn in hell tomorrow if I die. Discuss? This topic always intrigues me

So what God do you believe in? Who is this "life source"? Demons believe AND TREMBLE - do you? Atheists reject God and therefore His commands. Their wrong and right are made up by themselves, not God. Those who persevere are those who obey God's commands and remain Faithful to Jesus. Love the Lord God with your whole heart, mind and soul and love your neighbour sum up the whole law - love does no harm to it's neighbour - stealing, murdering, coveting etc. of course the commands are applicable! What comes out of the mouth is in the heart. Science is god to many. If science tells them to depopulate the earth, they'll do it. If science tells them to abort babies, they do it. Just looking at your list it's obvious that you have no room in your life for the God of the Bible, and that you refuse Him to be Sovereign in your life. You want a "life force" that doesn't judge and doesn't have a set apart people, you want a "life force" that is not a judge, and you want a "life force" that doesn't require your obedience and faithfulness. I don't think that you even understand what you are doing in your thread other than regurgitating the tired mantra that the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob isn't who He says He is.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 05:45 AM
link   
reply to post by sliznut

You're not a kook, you're just doing your own thing as far as your religious beliefs are concerned. We need more free thinking believers like you out there to counter-balance all the crazed fundamentalists.

As for Hell, no such place exists. I mean could you honestly believe a loving God would set up a torturous lake of fire and then sentence people to an eternity there for a finite list of crimes? It would make God possibly the most evil being imaginable.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join