It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Genetically modified grass (not) blamed for mass cattle deaths in Texas

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by imitator
This stuff is getting bad in Texas... last time it rained the ground looked liked foam, it was everywhere, I now stay in doors when it rains. No telling what they are seeding the clouds with....

What part of Texas do you live in? I have not seen anything like what you just mentioned. Foam? Huh?

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   
ohioline.osu.edu...

Hydrocyanic acid (cyanide) is produced in the leaves and stems of Johnsongrass when it is subjected to drought, trampling, frost, herbicide treatment, and even cutting. Toxicity is identical to that of Prunus poisoning and results in hypoxia (deficiency of oxygen reaching the tissues). The first symptoms appear within a few minutes following ingestion. Affected animals exhibit excitement, incoordination, convulsions, rapid and labored breathing, bloating, and coma. Death can occur in less than an hour due to internal asphyxiation.

I was wrong about it being a native grass.
This stuff can be deadly.
Animals won't ingest this grass unless they have no choice or are in an altered state such as starved or stressed.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
This is a sensationalized case of PRUSSIC ACID POISONING of livestock...a well known and extensively documented occurrence. Prussic acid is the historical common name for Hydrogen Cyanide. Here is a link to a North Dakota State University document from 1998 that details Prussic Acid Poisoning.
LINK: www.ag.ndsu.edu...

Also of note is that Tifton 85 is an F1 hybrid that was developed using conventional cross-breeding techniques to cross an armyworm-resistant Bermudagrass with an African stargrass. While GMO Bermudagrasses exist in the martketplace, this IS NOT one of them.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   

CORRECTION: As originally published, this story referred to Tifton 85 grass as a genetically-modified product, which is incorrect; it is actually a hybrid of Bermuda grass.

CBS Link

This was put in the original news article. I am as much against GMO as the next guy, but this grass has nothing to do with GM products! I think the OP should be edited to reflect this.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Yep, my opinion was someone added the GM to make the story more sensational. It doesn't take much research to figure that part out.
edit on 6/25/2012 by roadgravel because: typo

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by blahblah454

CORRECTION: As originally published, this story referred to Tifton 85 grass as a genetically-modified product, which is incorrect; it is actually a hybrid of Bermuda grass.

CBS Link

This was put in the original news article. I am as much against GMO as the next guy, but this grass has nothing to do with GM products! I think the OP should be edited to reflect this.

I second that motion. The OP is quite alarming and sensational....the title and text should be edited to acknowledge, or remove, the erroneous information. To let it remain as is would only serve to disseminate disinformation and create disincentives for completing due diligence when starting a new thread.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by moonweed
good god......now the cattle supply is being poisoned????? wtf is next?? poultry??? seafood????

your being sarcastic right? after having major offshore oil spills annually now for the past 3 years. and every turkey we eat is artifically inseminated because we breed them for their breasts to be so big that they cant mount their mate?
edit on 25-6-2012 by Foxy1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   
When will enough be enough. GMO's do to our crops and land animals as oil spills do to marine life

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   
.A previous post made me aware that GMO grass is in fact being grown in Australia in Hamilton VIC. No test have been carried out they just jumped right ahead and started planting this Frankenstein grass into the soil. Telling us that dairy farmers will reap the benefits of a 25% increase in milk from their dairy cows plus grass will grow back quicker and wont be affected by drought. I found a small article on the ABC news sight in Australia stating these facts. This isnt a popular news channel and no mainstream media has even mentioned this. Nor will they

I have been to Hamilton many times the place RARELY experiences droughts! as for the %25 milk increase they don't know that for a fact because once again it has not been tested. Plus the cow were not designed to have an increase in milk. I have seen the dairy cows their utters scrap along the ground in pain because of the hormones they pump into their feed causing an unnatural increase of milk. Now to think they want to up that by 25% through eating this mutant grass is horrendous!

The grass will spread with unknown implications possibly contaminating the land as it makes it way. destroying organic farmers livelihoods. once their land has had GMO grass how will they be able to grow organic or raise their organic beef on GMO feilds.

Sorry to use the words possibly and unknown but the scary part is I have to use these terms because their was never any testing carried out!

GMO as we are all ware is wrong. mother earth perfected nature over millions of years and now a group of humans with deep pockets and pure greed intentions wont to play God this will only end in disaster.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by blahblah454

CBS Link

I just 'alerted' el moderados.

Hopefully it will be changed and that note will be put in the OP.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Nspekta

I tried your first link and it said the story is no longer there. I tried your second link and it had an update that said the story was incorrect when it referred to the grass as GMO. According to the update the grass was not genetically modified, but rather a conventional hybrid created using the standard methods of hybridization that botanists, etc., have used for generations.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 01:36 AM
link   
reply to post by gidwa

See this post,
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   
I am disappointed that ATS apparently does not want t modify this inaccurate headline.

Is it shock for traffic over accuracy and denying ignorance?

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by stanguilles7
I am disappointed that ATS apparently does not want t modify this inaccurate headline.

Is it shock for traffic over accuracy and denying ignorance?

they have alterted it to reflect the new information that came out about it being a hybrid, not GM grass.
While it may not be what you wanted, it has been altered as per your request to the mods

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Nspekta

Ah, yes, I see that now. Hadn't noticed the addition of the word 'not'.

Well done, mods.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Oy Lets exterminate everyting that natural.. I make money, I play god.. ya my children are safe, its not like other things are living things lets create # that will kill people slowly.. but ill be ok.. until its my turn.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skywatcher2011
I guess to get rid of the grass you will have to use RoundUp....oh wait, that was also created by Monsatan

edit on 24-6-2012 by Skywatcher2011 because: (no reason given)

Lol some more info on this GMO grass. They use an additive in the grasses specifically for cattle that in the northern states builds a "double coat" for the cattle (they look similar to yaks hair-wise in nebraska), and after they are filtered off the grass for 30-45 days the coat returns to its original, natural state. They do this because they produce the cattle up north then move them down in bulk.

The thing people fail to realize is: it makes their hair fall out. What about the humans eating it?

Also its said to be enzyme based.

Side note as well-red/blue tears up cattle for the lymph nodes and also dead humans for their nefarious purposes.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by gidwa
reply to post by Nspekta

I tried your first link and it said the story is no longer there. I tried your second link and it had an update that said the story was incorrect when it referred to the grass as GMO. According to the update the grass was not genetically modified, but rather a conventional hybrid created using the standard methods of hybridization that botanists, etc., have used for generations.

Everything on the internet can be modified, remember that. Similar to that of a moderator for example if they dont like your posts they can wipe them. Thats why the printing press was so great, and even then, the writing hand controlled the content.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I believe Tifton 85 is a hybrid cross with stargrass. The stargrass is the one that has the ability to produce cyanide, and drought can exarcerbate those characteristics if I'm not mistaken.
What would you do to get rid of this stuff if you have it for pasture? Many farmers have spent hundreds having Tifton 85 put in- what to do now? I am in Texas and have horses so I am concerned also. There are alot of hay sellers in the area who ony have tifton on their fields, I have no idea how they will need to respond. I wonder if watering the pastures heavily would help, or hinder the case? I've also seen the foamy ground here, it's really weird!
edit on 27-6-2012 by Starcrossd because: added info

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join