It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Genetically modified grass (not) blamed for mass cattle deaths in Texas

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+50 more 
posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Raw Story

A form of genetically modified grass is being cited as the likely culprit in the sudden death of a herd of cattle in Central Texas, according to CBS News.

Preliminary tests revealed that the grass, an altered form of Bermuda grass known as Tifton 85, had mysteriously begun producing cyanide gas. Scientists at the U.S. Department of Agriculture are conducting further tests to determine if some sort of mutation caused the grass to suddenly begin giving off the deadly gas.

The cattle died roughly three weeks ago while grazing on a ranch in Elgin, Texas, about 20 miles east of Austin. According to the ranch’s owner, Jerry Abel, the cattle began howling shortly after being let out to graze one day. Fifteen of his eighteen cattle died, all of them in a matter of hours

Oh thats awesome eh? Cyanide growing within the grass killing cows..

Other farmers in the area who use the same modified grass have also found cyanide on their properties, though as yet no other cattle have died

When are people going to wake up and realize the GMO foods/plants/crops have many many issues!
BT Toxins!
Cyanide in grass!

Potential Toxicity Issues with Tifton 85 Bermudagrass

and,
Cyanide-Producing GM Grass Linked To Texas Cattle Deaths 92

"Scientists at the U.S. Department of Agriculture are trying to determine if an unexpected mutation in a popular GM grass, Tifton 85, is responsible for the sudden deaths of a small herd of cattle in Elgin, Texas three weeks ago. The grass has been used for grazing since 1992 without incident, however after a severe drought last year in Texas, the grass started producing cyanide in sufficient quantities to kill a small herd of cattle in Elgin, Texas. Testing has found the cyanide-producing grass in nearby fields as well."

Just think (and it couldnt see if it was mentioned in the article) that these cows most likely are entering the food system.. after a life of eating GMO grass containing cyanide!?! Yummy!
Yes, Ill have the Cyanide steak please? Oh yeah, rare. Would't want to cook out all that Cyanide!

Thoughts?!
edit on 26/6/12 by masqua because: Title edit as per this post

+5 more 
posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Wonder if it is sold for yards as well? Playground, ball field ect. Will someone PLEASE stop Monsatan before it's too late.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Another GMO dark cloud.

I do not want to consume GMO's , I do not want to eat animals that have consumed GMO's , I want food in its most natural state without the constant intervention . Is that too much to ask?

What do you mean the grass starts producing cyanide gas lol . What a great weapon for the military to use in overseas and local missions.

I really hope the mass deaths are caused by something else. But as many other stories with GMO's , the list of wtf's are piling up against GMO's.

Say no to drugs , Say no to GMO's , Say no to people who are supposed to be watching out for our best interests

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Nspekta

An odd thing is it just happened? They said they have been using it for sometime...strange. if it is that deadly.

Bermuda grass is a spreader, you can't stop the normal stuff, it takes over everything. Wonder what it was modified to do.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
maybe some one triggered a switch to early?
that is scary stuff. I mow my lawn on sunday...

paranoid! lol
edit on 23-6-2012 by Bixxi3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ladysophiaofsandoz
Wonder if it is sold for yards as well? Playground, ball field ect. Will someone PLEASE stop Monsatan before it's too late.

Meant to check on that... Havent had time today. Would be interesting though! How horrible would that be? Children playing in cyanide producing grass.. It would not suprise me! I would assume though that this grass is designed for cattle grazing

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Yummmy Texan beef.... Fed unnatural grass, infused with human foetus enzymes and served on a sesame bun in Maccy D's....

Never again....

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Get used to this kind of thing happening.

Pandora's Box has been opened, there's no putting it back.

Between all the GMO stuff and Synthia, we're screwed.
edit on 23-6-2012 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Acacia trees produce poison to kill Kudu (antelope) to protect themselves from overgrazing. They ( the plants) communicate chemically to warn nearby plants to also produce the poison. Maybe the plants are sending Monsanto a message. Maybe with all the splicing going on they worked in something "intelligent" enough to fight back say genetic material from an animal or a virus. Viruses are pretty crafty when you think about it.

Makes me wonder. Anyone else catch the thread about tick bites and meat allergies? Just saying ticks have been around for a while now seems kinds strange for something like that to pop up and the whole thing about it being an allergy to the sugars not the proteins. Just a thought.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   

edit on 23-6-2012 by Ladysophiaofsandoz because: Queen of the fat finger double post reigns supreme!

+4 more 
posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Well isnt that just f,ng amazing. Grow food in your garden and they chop it down and tell you its not safe.
Grow a grass that can kill a whole heard of cattle and it gets government approval.

It really is time we stopped talking and started doing something about this.

This is real people!! They really are poisoning ALL of us.

What are we going to do about it ???

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Nspekta

Thanks for finding this ... absolutely terrible, but hopefully we can spread the information far and wide to help get GMO's labelled, especially important the folks in California get to hear this ahead of the Nov-12 labelling vote.

Terrible really I've been going on an on about the dangers of GMO to anyone that would listen for years now, (I did a degree in biochem/genetics )... the sad thing is the number of people that just weren't concerned ... like yeah ok crazy Brit ...

here's the CBS origional link to the story

www.cbsnews.com...

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   
i had 11 cows die ffrom nitrogen overdose from fertalizing the field with chicken poo i put it in a feterlizer spreader spread it over the whole field it rained a few days the grass started growing good let the cows in the next morning they were all dead

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   
And people keep saying that Monsato & DeKalb are good for us.

Hell, I'll let Monsato splice some cockroach genes into me. I may never die, but I will be uglier than usual.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by stealthmonkey
i had 11 cows die ffrom nitrogen overdose from fertalizing the field with chicken poo i put it in a feterlizer spreader spread it over the whole field it rained a few days the grass started growing good let the cows in the next morning they were all dead

What was the catalyst for the nitrogen?

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by stealthmonkey

Please elaborate. The above strikes my curiosity nerve.

Did you have autopsies done on your cattle?

Was it the chicken poo (which I know can be bad) or a combination of variables?

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Ladysophiaofsandoz

This is my big question too.

Also does it give off actual gas or is it IN the grass and must be eaten?

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Nspekta

This is really some crazy stuff!

I don't think this instance has anything to do with Monsanto!

It was devised by a Dr. Glen Burton.............Amazingly I can not find ANY information on this guy! Other than he had some connections to Tifton Station, which seems to be three college laboratories who did studies on this grass.

Certainly strange that I can't find much more information than that....

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   
QUESTION.......will it contaminate the water table there? Just a thought....

Another thing, why in the world did they have to mess with grass of all things?

Like another poster stated, now we'll be eating "cyanide" steaks....great.

Looks like after all these years, the end results are starting to come out. The long-term affects on animals, as well as us humans.

Only time will tell.......

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack
reply to post by Ladysophiaofsandoz

This is my big question too.

Also does it give off actual gas or is it IN the grass and must be eaten?

I know that Mountain Laurel, a species of rhododendron, leaves give off cyanide gas. Honey made from the blossoms can be poisonous.

I have never heard of any grass that releases cyanide gas though.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join