It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If your children are in public school, teach them about their Miranda rights!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Your children do NOT need to, nor should they want to, talk to their principal about anything. If they are sent to the principal, your children should know that they do not need to talk to him about anything. Anything they say WILL be used against them, especially under zero tolerance rules where the principal will have to report to the police.

Again, this is for public schooling. I am not sure about private schooling. But since public schools are government funded, students have all of their rights and should be aware of them.

blogs.edweek.org...
scholasticadministrator.typepad.com...

What if there was some sort of Miranda warning for students at risk of being expelled or "counseled" out of school? Perhaps such a thing already exists but if not it might look something like this: "You have the right to decline to answer questins about your immigration status, home situation, learning or behavioral issues, or anything else besides your age, previous school, and home address at the time of your enrollment...You have the right to stay at your school despite poor grades or spotty attendance or nonphysical behavioral violations (verbal outbursts, defiance, etc.)... You have the right to have a parent/guardian, translator, and student advocate attend any conference at which your continued presence at the school is discussed... You have the right to request in-school suspension or access to an alternative program within your current school site rather than any change of schools that may be suggested or initiated by school administrators... You have the right to appeal any attempt to determine residency or eligibility that takes place after March of any given school year... Any violations of these terms should be reported to the independent office of student pushouts at toll free number."

Teach your children their FULL rights, because their teachers and principals never will.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   
I want my students to discuss behavior problems with me. Its the only way I can understand what happened from their viewpoint. It's also the only way I can help them to see their mistake and figure out a better way to handle things the next time it happens.

I know this is ATS and I know we've seen a lot of threads about public school atrocities. But most of us who work with children do so because we love kids and we have their best interest at heart.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Home schooling is the best option.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

The fact that you are required to go to the police over so many things make you a threat to the safety and happiness of your students. I can understand if it's abuse. I cannot if it's drugs or student against student violence.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
The so called "Miranda rights" are more correctly called the Miranda Warning.

You have the right to remain silent.
Anything you say or do can and will be held against you in a court of law.
You have the right to speak to an attorney.
If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be appointed for you.
Do you understand these rights as they have been read to you?

Since all LEO's are required by judge mandate to read these "rights", no one need be bothered with learning their "Miranda rights" and since some judge arbitrarily and whimsically wrote out precisely what he thought should be said to people facing arrest, all parents should be particularly concerned about teaching their children their unalienable rights and distinguishing them from their "civil rights".

While you do certainly have the right to remain silent, and silence is golden, there are times when a few well placed words are more appropriate, whether it be with an LEO or with a school administrator. Challenging jurisdiction requires speaking up, not remaining silent.

While it is most assuredly true that anything you say or do can and will be used against you in a court of law, challenging jurisdiction will always be used against the court party, or school administrator asserting it. Children need not prove their school administrator lacks jurisdiction, that administrator needs to prove through credible evidence they have it.

You and your children have much more than a right to speak to an (licensed) attorney, what you have, and what is Constitutionally mandated is that you have the right assistance of counsel. If you are innocent of charges being brought against you and you wind up with an (licensed) attorney urging you to take a plea bargain, that is not competent assistance of counsel, and the counsel you are being given is a betrayal of the ethical boundaries that demand your assistance of counsel endeavor to zealously provide a strong defense. Surrender is not a strong defense.

If you cannot afford an attorney do not ever agree to accepting a "court appointed attorney" unless you can work that deal where you are not required to sign over power of attorney and lose control of your defense strategy.

When read your "Miranda rights" and asked if you understand them as read, it is prudent to speak up and ask for the clarifications I have just suggested. In doing so that LEO who has just read you the Miranda warning will - on one level or another - understand you are challenging jurisdiction.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by cetaphobic

The fact that you are required to go to the police over so many things make you a threat to the safety and happiness of your students. I can understand if it's abuse. I cannot if it's drugs or student against student violence.

Reporting violence and drug use threatens the safety and happiness of students.

Wow. I just.....wow.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   

No. But going to a student as if they have your confidence and then reporting everything they say to an officer in order to get around their Miranda rights is harmful and goes against the 4th amendment.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   

I recommend this documentary.

Take your children out of public school. You can homeschool even if you work.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by cetaphobic

No. But going to a student as if they have your confidence and then reporting everything they say to an officer in order to get around their Miranda rights is harmful and goes against the 4th amendment.

I agree, and personally think that is despicable behavior.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by cetaphobic

Not to mention it seems a little underhanded. I hate to say this but with all going on are our public teachers any different than out police or politicians. Seems everywhere i turn someone is trying to interject themselves and their rules into me and my families lives.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by eazyriderl_l

I used to be the biggest supporter of public schools, but I've been researching since we're thinking of having children soon, and just. Just no, public schools.

If you can't homeschool (even though, yes you can), you need to try and put your children into a private school or a magnet school. Putting a child into public school is torture and is ruining the chances of most kids to have a successful adult life.

new topics

top topics

join