It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Stage is Set for Vice Presidential Debate

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Cleveland, Ohio plays host to a major battle in the 2004 election campaign. Vice President Dick Cheney and Senator John Edwards (D-NC) will debate each other in a 90 minute battle of wits that should prove to be a contest worth watching. Coming just days after the first Presidential debate in Coral Gables, FL which polls suggest John Kerry won it will be the job of Dick Cheney to hammer home the message of the Bush '04 campaign whilst fighting off the charismatic Senator from North Carolina.

The debate will be a one-on-one affair conducted in a formal seated manner in front of an audience made up of Democrats, Republicans and first time voters. The moderator will be Gwen Ifill, a senior correspondent for The NewsHour and moderator of Washington Week, both are shows featured on PBS. The standard rulebook will apply with split-camera feeds banned. It will be interesting to see how long it takes the networks to break that rule.

Many Republicans are already downplaying Cheney and stressing John Edwards' oratorial skills that will give him the advantage and many Democrats see this as a form of "pre-spin". Dick Cheney has been a senior policy advisor for some 30 years whilst Edwards is a first-time Senator and highly experienced trial lawyer.

The debate will focus on all the issues in the campaign as only one Vice-Presidential debate has been penned into the schedule. Many will be watching eagerly to see if Team Kerry makes it 2-0 or if Dick Cheney uses his vast policy knowledge to notch one up for his side. Politically polarised communities on the net are already putting major plans into action to spin the debate if anything goes wrong. The GOP have publically acknowledged AND encouraged post-debate spin whatever happens whilst Democrats seem to be taking a hands off approach and allowing their communities a free reign. Poll lists are already being compiled by each side and many thousands sit ready to click in favour of their candidate.

ABCNews
International Herald Tribune
BBC News
CNN

[edit on 6-10-2004 by John bull 1]

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 07:45 PM
link   
versus

Prediction: Just when it looks like Edwards is winning, Cheney will remind him who his daddy is, cut off his hand and push him in a hole. :shk:

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Starts in 15 minutes.

I'm hopping for a serious cross-examination of the corporate crook by one of the the best trial lawyers fighting for the little guy.

Can Edwards crack the Prince of Darkness?

This should be good.

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 07:47 PM
link   
I think this debate will be better than the last one, a lawyer and a business man.

It's going to be very interesting.

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Debate in the way and both looks good and well, now Cheney needs to take a breath he is talking to fast.

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Much better debate.

I will note Edwards pulled a Bush.

"Sadda...I mean, Osama bin Laden."

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Esoterica
Much better debate.

One slip in a very tense debate is allowable

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Edwards is running away with it.

I think if Kerry wins, Edwards will push him over.

[edit on 5-10-2004 by SpittinCobra]

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Yes the candidates are more calm and clear in their speech, I think they look good.

Issue been laden not found but "looking for it" NK and Iran, issues still pending. Good debate.

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Much better debate.

He did.
Caught that too.

And if I'm not horribly mistaken (possible) Cheney thanked Missouri for hosting the debate. John thanked OHIO.

Afghan Opium just came up. This is for real.

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nerdling
One slip in a very tense debate is allowable

I know, just sayin' that nobody's perfect.

Cheney is so much a better debater than Bush so far. He's actually giving a few facts and figured in there. The only numbers Bush was were "9" and "11"

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 08:16 PM
link   
This is definitely a better thought out and well developed debate. In all honesty they both are doing quite well, but I will reserve final judgements until the debate is over.

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by RANT

Much better debate.

He did.
Caught that too.

I agree with the King Nerd, it was nothing. Atleast he knew who he was talking to.

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Bush is a businessman. As Springer told me, the first rule for a business is to hire people smarter than you.

link   
Edwards is getting a little flustered? Got that same stuttering problem Bush had last week.

I forgot how good Cheney was at this. Smack.

link   
"You probably weren't there to vote on that."

This is gonna get ugly. I love it

link   
That last speech of Edwards was beautiful. I think Edwards is doing good, now Cheney is bringing the Flip-flop and that is a big mistake.

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Much better debate.

You mean he pulled a Kerry...Kerry was the one who confused Saddam Hussein and Osama Bin Laden in the presidential debate..

"... Osama...Saddam... Osama...excuse me... Saddam Hussein....." Kerry pulled something like that... appart from his usual stutters.

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 08:19 PM
link   
WOW, "They created a haven for terrorist".

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I enjoy this format much more even though it gives Cheney the advantage. Edwards prefers to walk around the stage like a lawyer would walk around a courtroom floor.

It's a very constructive debate but I think Edwards got in good and early with the information about al-qaeda and Iraq deaths. If its a bad decision, however well you spin it will never matter, most will go with how they see it. More deathes = negative public image. Simple really.

Cheney seems to have a good command of the facts? I should bloody well hope so, the man has been a senior advisor for 30 years. Oh, and even the devil can quote scripture

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join