It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the speed of light = 299 792 458 m / s???????

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   
ill let you guys continue the discussion for a bit, 'randomname' just reminded me of something else i wanted to make a thread about. and i notice i got the speed of light wrong, thats the last time i rely on the top google result lol

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by zilebeliveunknown

The speed of light is constant in a vacuum. The rate of propagation of light through a material is not.

Thx Phage, but if "constant" is fixed quantity, doesn't it make the speed of light as variable?

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by randomname

in space, an object has essentially zero mass. you can "lift" up an elephant as easily as a pen.

Mass is not the same thing as weight. Mass is a property of matter. Weight is the measurement of the force of gravity acting on a mass.

An object in freefall (like a skydiver or an orbiting spacecraft) is weightless but it is not massless.

"What if Einstein lied?" Seriously? It's possible he was wrong but no one has managed to disprove him yet. All they manage to do is prove him right.
edit on 6/23/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

that's not what i'm saying, i'm saying mass is irrelevant to space travel. you require much less energy to move a 1 ton stone in space, than you do on earth.

so why do you need infinite energy to move a space craft in space. second, mass doesn't change. a rock won't all of the sudden become the size of the universe because how fast it is being pushed around. it will always be constant.

it's mass won't be different moving it 10 feet or one trillion feet. why would the "speed" at which you move it affect it's mass.

and disprove him; the 4 people on earth that can actually completely understand his theories could be part of the same system that created the theory.

the point is, it's just as possible that you are being lied to than it is impossible to go faster than the speed of light.

until then, you shouldn't accept someone else imposing limits on what you can accomplish.

how many people, talented people don't even bother, with space travel, because of what einstein said, without even trying. you have to earn the right and overcome obstacles to travel the stars.

how many of them are falling into the trap set by their pride. einstein didn't go into any university and judged on what other people have said is "right". he came up with his theories working alone, with his mind, in a patent office.

and if the first person that comes along and says you can't go faster than light, publishes pages of complicated formulas that probably 10 people in the world "claim" to understand and you believe it, without question, then you have failed the most important test, before you have even begun.

there are no limits only the ones imposed by God and ourselves.

edit on 23-6-2012 by randomname because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   

c = the speed of light in a vacuum. It is a constant.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   

that's not what i'm saying, i'm saying mass is irrelevant to space travel. you require much less energy to move a 1 ton stone in space, than you do on earth.

Not really. If you want to lift it against gravity it does but put that 1 ton stone on an air cushion and it is pretty easy. The force of gravity is equalized and there is very little friction.

mass doesn't change. a rock won't all of the sudden become the size of the universe because how fast it is being pushed around.

No it won't become the size of the universe but its mass will increase. This has been demonstrated.

it's mass won't be different moving it 10 feet or one trillion feet. why would the "speed" at which you move it affect it's mass.

Because mass and energy are equivalent. This has been demonstrated. The faster mass moves the more energy it carries.

the 4 people on earth that can actually completely understand his theories could be part of the same system that created the theory.

There are quite a number of people who understand it and put it into practice.

how many people, talented people don't even bother, with space travel, because of what einstein said, without even trying.
I don't know, how many? But there are quite a few who are trying to prove him wrong. Without success.

edit on 6/23/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I know that c is constant in vacuum, but in your opinion, why it is constant in generally, when light travels at a different speed in different materials?

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   

I'm sorry, I guess I just don't get your point.
As applied in relativity, c is a constant. The speed of light in matter is not relevant to these calculations.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   

i kind of get what your saying, if we dont try to travel at the speed of light how will we know if its possible, but i dont think that old Albert would of lied, what would it of accomplished?

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Think of it this way. What really happens when light travels through a medium? An atom absorbs the photon causing an electron to move to a higher energy orbit. Eventually the electron moves back to its lower energy orbit and the atom emits the photon. This takes time. The light still travels a constant C between the atoms. It's the absorption and emission that makes it appear to travel slower.

edit on 23-6-2012 by dxdydz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   
heres a link to the thread i just dissapeard to compose, incase anyones interested.

dark matter

quick before the weirdos get there lol

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
More importantly: man of Kent or Kentish man? lol

RandomNoName is wrong - he's basically saying that to him it's complicated therefore no-one else could possibly understand relativity. However, millions DO understand it, and actually use it every day. For example, GPS wouldn't work without taking relativity into account.

A quick search really proves Einstein essentilly correct. Although, just like any other model it may at some point be revised.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 02:00 AM
link   
reply to post by DaveNorris

That's the basis of the theory of relativity... generally speaking

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Nah, there's more than just a handfull of people who understand it, practically any engineer, any scientist (physical sciences), anyone who had multiple college classes in physics... quite a few poeple actually

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 02:05 AM
link   

The speed of light is variable depending on the medium it is traveling through, but the absolute speed of light is the speed that it travels in a vacuum with nothing to alter its course or speed.

you can think of c=speed of light in a vacuum , in other words, the maximum speed that light can attain and that maximum speed is the speed that is used for calculations in E=mc^2 showing that energy and mass are related to the absolute speed of light.
edit on 24-6-2012 by PurpleChiten because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 03:55 AM
link   
reply to post by PurpleChiten

Yes, thanks, just a taught on the nature of the speed of light as non constant cause it's a variable when spreading through different materials.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 04:27 AM
link   
reply to post by DaveNorris

Special Relativity my friend. Learn it love it. The speed of light is constant relative to any motion. So no matter your speed light will still appear to travel at 186k mps in relation to your own speed. So if your traveling at 185k mps light will still appear to over take you at a rate of 186k relative to your own speed.

So to you no matter what your speed light emitted from say a light you are holding will zoom off into the vacuum at a rate that would look exactly the same as it would if you were at rest.

This is considered to be a basic principle in any higher education setting. Though it is still mind bending stuff.

edit on 24-6-2012 by constantwonder because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-6-2012 by constantwonder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 04:51 AM
link   
Read this link.

books.google.com... aKhlObcUSgXyCHzTOg#v=onepage&q&f=false

Light is either scattered or absorbed in a material.
From the article:

"the incident electromagnetic wave on a molecule excites the charges to oscillate and radiate secondary electromagnetic waves... The Superposition of the secondary waves give the total elastically scattered field.
That is scattering. There is also absorption. If the absolute temperature of the particle differs from zero, electron transitions from a higher to lower energy level cause thermal emission of electromagnetic energy at specific frequencies"

This all takes time which is why the light appears to slow down while traveling through a medium. Simply the material has made it take longer for the electromagnetic radiation to travel through and the speed of light is still constant.

Also, the photon entering the material is not the same photon exiting.
edit on 24-6-2012 by dxdydz because: adding content.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 06:09 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

i thought light speed was 186,000 miles per second?

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 06:30 AM
link   
reply to post by vister74

He's using meters per second.
~300,000 km/second ~300,000,000 meters/second
The metric system is the preferred system in science.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 06:35 AM
link   
reply to post by dxdydz

say what? oh right sorry lads il leave you lot to it then.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join