Apple Wont sell you an Ipad if you are an Iranian American. How Absurd.

page: 1

join

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
This takes the cake.

How is an American citizen of Iranian descent somehow "Iran"? The fact these chumps point out the "policy" shows even further how stupid they are. Lawsuit much?

ColoradoJens

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by ColoradoJens

Sounds to me like the sales person(s) was just being racist.

I think that the corp will take anyones money, just like my govt.

But it makes me think of the sign posted 9 of 10 stores:

"We have the right to refuse anyone for no reason, have a nice day."
edit on 23-6-2012 by AK907ICECOLD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by AK907ICECOLD

I suppose the real reason I posted this is because people are so stupid nowadays. To somehow link the company policy of "exporting" goods to Iran and an American buying an ipad in Atlanta is the definition of stupidity. People are just really, really dumb. I'm sure the store truly believes that because someone speaks farsi they are going to be taking the goods back to a country where they don't live. Seems reasonable - to really really dumb people.

I'd like to know how the store differentiates Korean dialect between North and South. Now that I think about it, the employees of Apple stores must be the most highly educated linguists on the planet. Amazing considering the pay...
CJ
edit on 23-6-2012 by ColoradoJens because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
lol that is pretty funny

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Sorry....ROFL....How absurd.
edit on 23-6-2012 by KibbleChild because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by AK907ICECOLD

Except the problem was a store employee incorrectly using the companies policy to not export their goods to certain countries.

The fact that this employee could not tell the difference between selling to an American customer in the store and exporting goods to Iran....Well, it's a wonder that guy is employed to begin with.

Truth_2012

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by AK907ICECOLD
reply to post by ColoradoJens

Sounds to me like the sales person(s) was just being racist.

I think that the corp will take anyones money, just like my govt.

edit on 23-6-2012 by AK907ICECOLD because: (no reason given)

It is a bit more complicated than that, the trade embargo is poorly written and the clerk could be prosecuted under certain conditions...

The incident and others like it highlight a dilemma created by the U.S. trade embargo against Iran — and other sanctioned countries, including Cuba, Syria and North Korea — which makes even the humblest sales associate responsible for enforcing the embargo’s provisions....

...Those employees — as well as the store and the company — could be hit with civil and criminal penalties if they sell products to customers who they have reason to believe will export them to Iran in violation of the embargo, legal experts say. But if the same clerk refuses service on the basis of the customer’s language or ethnic background, they may run afoul of civil rights laws.

"The tricky question is if you hear someone speaking Farsi (also called Persian) … then the issue is: Should you be more alert to the possibility that they might export the item to Iran? And by being more alert in that situation are you in violation of civil rights statutes? It’s not any easy question."

Under U.S. sanctions against Iran — dating to 1987 and expanded several times since — exports to the Islamic republic are illegal, with exceptions for items in a few limited categories, such as books, movies, agricultural goods, medicine and medical supplies. These sanctions are enforced by the U.S. Treasury Department's Office of Foreign Assets Control and the U.S. Commerce Department’s Bureau of Industry and Security. Sanctions are not intended to affect the sale of goods used in the United States.

"There is absolutely no U.S. policy or law that would prohibit Apple or any other company from selling its products in the United States to anyone intending to use the product in the United States, including Iranians and Persian-speakers," said Pooja Jhunjhunwala, a spokesperson for the U.S. State Department.

But the government does not spell out how an individual working in a retail store should judge whether a customer intends to send or carry a product to a country under sanctions, and technically the onus could fall on store clerks. And Burns says anyone in the chain who touches a transaction that violates of the sanctions can be held liable if they knew or should have known that the item was being shipped to a sanctioned country.

"The standard applies to the retail clerk, shipping manager, corporate headquarters," said Burns.

Individuals can be fined up to $250,000 and up to five years in prison for export sanctions violations. Corporations can be hit with a $1 million criminal penalty, he said. "In theory there’s no intent (to commit a crime) requirement. They will look at whether you knew or should have known."

Interestingly, it would seem that this not a singular incident....

In reality, there are only a few reported cases of retailers denying individual sales on this basis, all involving Iranian Americans and Apple stores.

Iran trade sanctions get personal in Apple stores

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

You are right. So why when confronted by the "news" team did they repeat it? Then add some gibberish about how there is a ban on travelling with Apple products to Iran. Seems like this has been made an issue and not many understand the reality. Hmmmm.

CJ

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by AK907ICECOLD

middle eastern peoples are of an ethnic group , not a race.
have a nice day....

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   
For anyone wanting an IPad/IPhone/IPod, I'll happily sell it to anyone anywhere. I own an online retail store and I don't exclude any potential customers, no matter if you are from Iran, North Korea or Cuba.

Every country should have the right to purchase Apple products, food and medicine, and to build Nuclear Reactors. Not being sarcastic here.
edit on 23-6-2012 by Clairaudience because: (no reason given)

new topics
top topics

join