It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SaltSpring ISLAND...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Saltspring Island

Once upon a time THEY found that this place was largest, the most populous, and the most frequently visited of the Gulf Islands. Once day REMOVED from all else, it allowed settlers to acquire land through pre-emption!

MY intent here is quite casual. is to detail that the island, initially inhabited by Salishan peoples of various tribes, became a refuge from racism for African Americans who had resided in California. With a fine THREAD it is known that Saltspring Island was also the first in the Colony of Vancouver Island and British Columbia to allow settlers to acquire land through pre-emption!

Pre-Emption I say.

ABOUT the name, well the island was known as "Chuan" or "Chouan" Island in 1854, but it was also called "Saltspring" as early as 1855, in honor of the island's salt springs. BATH or should I say Even while named "Admiralty Island", it was referred to popularly as Saltspring, as in James Richardson's report for the Geological Survey of Canada in 1872. SALTS having never been there.

It's quite an interesting read for capital people to be aware of.

shenanigans I tells ya..

edit on 23-6-2012 by mainidh because: (no reason given)

Oh lmao, ATS would be dead in a nuke strike. "Whats that? I dont get it... whats next."

Good test if nothing else

edit on 23-6-2012 by mainidh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Beautiful part of the country those Gulf Islands. Used explore them with a buddy. We'd take the milk run ferry and island hop tenting it with our packs and a full bladder pack of vino. Our travel mugs were never dry. Lived on Galiano Island for a few months. Loved every minute of it. My real heart resides in Haida Gwai though.

peace

join