It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fake Meat / 'Synth' Meat is nearly here

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Well folks - the future tech of the millenium is nearly here.

A world free from the shackles of medieval style food production is just around the corner, yet there is resistance to this amazing new technology. Why? What do you all think the resistance is, and where does it come from?

Most of all, does the community here at ATS support this technology? This is a test, do not fail.

The Revenant.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
I support the research, but I do not want to eat it.

Regardless of what our intellects may provide us in terms of technology, we are still humans. The less we act like it, the more stress it will cause us.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by The Revenant

I support it. I believe if a person wants to forego eating meat for spiritual or religious reasons that they have every right to do that. However, they cannot force their children to not eat meat. Meat is generally needed by the human body. They have to be informed that they may be hurting themselves by not eating meat. This ability to grow meat in factory labs without torturing and imprisoning actual animals is a godsend and answers a lot of the anxiety felt by people who do not take pleasure in killing another life-form (especially life-forms that they relate better to - like animals) to eat.

I understand the argument that animals are more like us than plants. I've only ever felt weak emotions for a plant, but are they themselves emotional? I'm fairly sure they can sense pain. And I know that some of them can communicate with each other. But beyond that, plants are like aliens to me compared to a chicken or a cow. I can almost feel the emotions in an animal. Fear. Confusion. It fills me with despair watching videos of people butchering an animal to carve its meat for food storage. Why do we have to feel these emotions for something our body needs for nutrition? It's really messed up, but I can't blame anybody for doing it. Ultimately, we have very little control. Millions of years of evolution have brought us here and it pushes us to do things we don't like.

If I had to kill the animal to eat the meat, I'd never have eaten a piece of meat in my life. The meat that I've eaten has always come to me from a kitchen and it looks nothing like the animal. Nowadays, I only eat what I think I have to eat. I eat meat sparingly. I feel like a wrongdoer eating it. (ok, when I was a kid, i might have killed a bird to eat it, but I was a kid and I was very thick headed.)

When I grab a berry from a bush, am I killing the berry?

This is like getting a level-up in a game. It will relieve a lot of anxiety. Admittedly, I think there's still the potential for even lab-grown meat to be tainted by various organisms or hormones.

We'll probably still have to cook it and it'll still have stringent regulations placed on it.
edit on 23-6-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Yea, if other people want it then they can have it.

I will continue to eat real meat. I care about what I put into my body and limit the amount of "fake crap" I put in it.

I'm on a fast as we type

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I'd try it. Reminds me of something from Star Trek. We can let cows and other animals live in less fear of being killed or if we are still going to have the real thing, we can take more care in having them grass fed and jammed full of steriods.

I think it could turn out to be healthier for all beings

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
i dont think its that close, last i heard all they managed was to cultivate muscle tissue, and thats but 1 part of the flavorsome foodstuff. also, it would cost a lot more than farmed meat atm. although with most things 'time will tell'.

will i make the change to fake meat, well thats a question. it all depends on the taste and the cost.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I'd prefer to eat real meat.

To take it a step further; if you want to consider synthetic meat as a step forward then I would rather go backward, care for and kill the animal myself so at the least I can make sure to put it down quickly and painlessly and not like the horror on some of these videos. At least while it's alive it would have somewhat of a decent life, but that's sad a fact of life in itself that some animals must die so others can live on.
edit on 23-6-2012 by RSF77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Wow, the same time the tick-causing meat death syndrome is discovered a cure is found!

Yuck!

top topics

join