Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Video: Science "girl thing" deemed offensive

page: 2
3
<< 1    3 >>

log in

join

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by wingsfan
Every women already has access to a science lab, it's called a kitchen. Bunsen burner?!?! You already have a stove! Petri dishes?!?! You have a sink full of dirty dishes!!!!

Ladies, becoming the next Tesla just isn't in your cards, but Julia Child is something you can aspire for!



In the Cosmos, amongst the positive raises, not the pyramid negs, women are in very large numbers, the scientists, and technicians, they're quite matriarchal, and yet very equal.

I leave the dishes for the men/boys when they're around as much as possible. Better things to do. Oh and that is truly where technology and dish washers come in as well.

However my sons and I are planning on making some Coils. However, its their mom that is really behind it and has collected many plans.




posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   
It's just stupid. It used sex to sell science.I think I get the message of why people are claiming that it's sexist, because the hidden message to it is that since science is a man's world, the only way to get anywhere is for women to use their assets, and not their brains.

But the big problem with today's society is, you really can't get people's attention unless you do something sensationalist like using sex to sell a message. Most people just don't have the attention span for something that's boring.

And let's face it, science is a boring subject to most people, and most people just don't want to learn it.

Apparently, except for those tyrannical atheists who want to rule the world and impose their morality on to the poor poor religious people who just want to be free to impose their religious morality onto the entire world. Oh, those poor poor religious zealots who hate anything that isn't religious. What ever will they do without those atheists getting in their way! Those damned atheists! SHOOT THEM ALL AND LET GOD SORT THEM OUT!

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH ATHEISTS ARE RUINING THE WORLD BECAUSE THE WORLD SHOULD BELONG ONLY TO THE RIGHTEOUS RELIGIOUS PEOPLE!

Please, the righteous religious zealots only want to save your soul. Won't you let them save your soul and FRAKING DO WHAT THEY TELL YOU TO DO AND STOP LISTENING TO THOSE FRAKING RETARDED ATHEISTS WHO CAN'T BE SAVED!

FRAK THE ATHEISTS! DOWN WITH THE ATHEISTS!

Thank yew fer yer support.



posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Science is a fascinating field of "theories", the Electric Universe theory, amongst many. Its the conventional science and the blocking of their underground goodies that is the problem.



posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep
 

They're sexxing up science and trying to make it look more attractive to women.

That's my guess. But it falls on its face because those woman that ARE attracted to science are not attracted to superficial thigns like makeup or fashion or whatever. They're insulted by that.

Why does every man and woman have to like the same things? Do more woman tend to like fashion than men? If they do, so what? Who cares? Why do we have to like the same things?

I believe men and women are different. But parts of our society want to make them more similar. And some people just want to branch out more - I support that. I support transsexuals too. I welcome all that. But I don't think you can make everybody the same or similar. There ARE differences.

Me for example. Normal girly things are BOOORRRRING. Female habits annoy me. Their emotions annoy me. Their gossip annoys me. If suddenly commercials and books and politicians and teachers were trying to make me think I should like girly things, I think I'd have to leave the country. I want the freedom to like what I like and not to be pushed through a cookie cutter.
edit on 23-6-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)



posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep
 


Yep, totally get your point Op, and it isn't promoting thoughtful consideration of studying the sciences, but more about sexuality. I find it lame and sexist.

To the member who said what woman doesn't think about makeup and shoes, there are probably many, and many in the fields of science. There are also many who do care about it, but it isn't why they got into studying the sciences.(unless of course they were passionate about creating makeup
)



edit on 23-6-2012 by WhisperingWinds because: (no reason given)



posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Don't think the video is 100% sexist but id be a little offended if this was their way of trying to get me interested in science - Through the means of lipstick and shoes...

Love how the guy is portrayed as a "serious" kind of scientist who is surprised when these 3 models turn up on the scence and dance around without any reason.. I was half expecting their clothes to come off and four-way to commence.

The video is certainly in poor taste and offer's no real reason for women to suddenly becoming interested in science imo.
edit on 23-6-2012 by SearchLightsInc because: (no reason given)



posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
They forgot to edit in the pillow fight in lingerie.

What a load of crap marketing this is and very much doubt female scientists had any input on it, but looks like Don Draper did.
edit on 23-6-2012 by Regenmacher because: (no reason given)



posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   
This Commercial / Ad is about the chemistry behind make-up, it is the science involved to make the make-up last longer and beautify the look.

It takes science in the world of chemistry to bond together the pigments that make the colours in the make-up, lipstick, etc...

The scientist was in study of the ladies and how the make-up reacts to the lighting and movements.

Evertime the ladies would move the more the make-up made them beautiful and lips would shine in the lighting.

It's the chemisrty involved behind the make-up this commercial is referring to.

Have a Great Day!!

Thanks



posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep
 


Looks like it would attract more guys than girls



posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
That video was about science?



posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep
 


Yeah... i have to admit that even i was a tad offended by this.

I think maybe it'll draw more men to science though...



posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by jonnywhite
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep
 

Normal girly things are BOOORRRRING. Female habits annoy me. Their emotions annoy me. Their gossip annoys me.


Sooooo true



posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by DooDer

Everytime the ladies would move the more the make-up made them beautiful and lips would shine in the lighting.


I have seen better looking women without makeup in Playboy...these ladies are still ugly no matter how much make up you put on them. I can see why the commercial failed.



posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   
What's offensive is the fact that they're indirectly creating a divide between the sexes in this video by trying to imply that women should be just as interested in science as men.

If someone has a desire to be a scientist, and they have the mind and intelligence to do it, who ****ing cares whether they're male or female? All that matters is that it's what that individual has the passion to do. Sex makes no difference.



posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I don't find it offensive...Maybe a bit...Childish...But not offensive. To me, it looks like it is being aimed at girls in High School, who are still trying to decide on a career path.

Vote Truth_2012



posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone
Apparently, except for those tyrannical atheists who want to rule the world and impose their morality on to the poor poor religious people who just want to be free to impose their religious morality onto the entire world. Oh, those poor poor religious zealots who hate anything that isn't religious. What ever will they do without those atheists getting in their way! Those damned atheists! SHOOT THEM ALL AND LET GOD SORT THEM OUT!

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH ATHEISTS ARE RUINING THE WORLD BECAUSE THE WORLD SHOULD BELONG ONLY TO THE RIGHTEOUS RELIGIOUS PEOPLE!

Please, the righteous religious zealots only want to save your soul. Won't you let them save your soul and FRAKING DO WHAT THEY TELL YOU TO DO AND STOP LISTENING TO THOSE FRAKING RETARDED ATHEISTS WHO CAN'T BE SAVED!

FRAK THE ATHEISTS! DOWN WITH THE ATHEISTS!

Thank yew fer yer support.


I was initially worried that I wasn't going to get the spectacle of an atheist foaming at the mouth, and having a complete psychological meltdown, in response to my earlier post; but as always, ESC, you came through for me. You've never failed me yet.

edit on 23-6-2012 by petrus4 because: (no reason given)



posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Don't see anything even the slightest bit offensive about this, nor does the wife... the ad's trying to show that even girly girls can be scientists, you don't have to be a boring, band-aid on your glasses "librarian" type. The bright colours & coloured flasks were linking makeup & science to try and make it seem more interesting & fun to the kind of women that care about their appearance...



posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Geez, I don't know what to make of this. I just don't see how watching this video as a girl contemplating a career in science, that watching them parade around a lab in high heels and makeup would put me over the edge in decision making. I think like many of the posters above, that if you are attracted to science in the first place, a "girlie" approach is not going to mean anything, and I see how it could be offensive. But, I have always liked science, so maybe I can't speak for others.

I grew up in Texas during the eighties, and I can tell you that the message I got growing up was that my value in society had a lot to due with appearance. Drill team, cheerleading, etc. were highly valued when I was in high school, becoming a research scientist with a speciality in gene therapy was not. That was one of the things I was interested in, but my male general science teacher discouraged me, saying that it was not a place for a woman. He did not really influence me one way or another, but I do know that nobody stepped up to steer me towards this career. Nor were any of my girlfriends interested in science. I have a great life, but sometimes I regret not having pursued this career. Perhaps a mentor would have been great, but this video, not so much.



posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by artnut
Geez, I don't know what to make of this. I just don't see how watching this video as a girl contemplating a career in science, that watching them parade around a lab in high heels and makeup would put me over the edge in decision making. I think like many of the posters above, that if you are attracted to science in the first place, a "girlie" approach is not going to mean anything, and I see how it could be offensive. But, I have always liked science, so maybe I can't speak for others.

I grew up in Texas during the eighties, and I can tell you that the message I got growing up was that my value in society had a lot to due with appearance. Drill team, cheerleading, etc. were highly valued when I was in high school, becoming a research scientist with a speciality in gene therapy was not. That was one of the things I was interested in, but my male general science teacher discouraged me, saying that it was not a place for a woman. He did not really influence me one way or another, but I do know that nobody stepped up to steer me towards this career. Nor were any of my girlfriends interested in science. I have a great life, but sometimes I regret not having pursued this career. Perhaps a mentor would have been great, but this video, not so much.



Must have sucked growing up in the 50's



posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep
 


OK...looks pretty promising. I included a link for another science girl. I like the part where she says 'I can sell it to the military...for lot's of money'. I still don't know what this girls supposedly invented. I was overwhelmed by her utter lack of character, however.

www.youtube.com...





new topics




 
3
<< 1    3 >>

log in

join