It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman found with superhuman sight enabling her to see 99 million more colours than an average person

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Gabriele Jordan, a neuroscientist at Newcastle University, says the condition only affects women – and there may be others unknowingly living colourful lives.

She just had to say that didn't she? Guess the saying is true.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Chonx

I don't know if this has been said yet, but it is totally possible to let humans see a HUGE range of colors (even more than the woman in the OP) by just injecting the gene that allows more colors into a virus and then injecting the virus into a person's eye. They already did this with monkeys. There is already a known gene in a type of shrimp called a Mantis Shrimp that, if used in this way, would allow humans to see from the IR up several levels into UV light. I heard about it in this Radiolab podcast (if anyone's interested).

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by AFewGoodWomen
reply to post by Chonx

We must clone her and phase out all others.
She shall be renamed Eve, with the eye of God.

Crazy. Evolution?

Evolution if it allows her to thrive better while others falter. In a world where hue acuity meant a better ability to survive, thrive, and reproduce better than "normals", over time a higher percentage of the population would carry the gene, which of course would eventually lead to exponential increases in the tetra gene's prominence.

Personally, I think she should hook up with a male tetra and have lots of babies.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueBrit
Found this, and thought it might be interesting from the point of view of tetrachromic vision.

www.xrite.com...

The lower your score, the better. Best of luck to everybody and their eyeballs.

Well, I suck at sports, but despite being a male of a certain age, I got a 4
Gotta get my ego boosts where I can.
edit on 23-6-2012 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Found this, and thought it might be interesting from the point of view of tetrachromic vision.

www.xrite.com...

well... its 8 am. Been working all night and didnt sleep yet still I scored a 1... not bad

As for the other bubbles, I can see different shades, but I'm pretty sure I'm not a tetra-thingy or a superhuman...

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Interesting...

I don't like the brevity of the article nor it's closing statement though.

‘Tetrachromats may never need to draw on their full capacity,’ said Ms Jordan. ‘They may be trapped in a world tailored to creatures with lesser powers.’ Read more: www.metro.co.uk...

That makes it sound like there is something drastically different about their eye site.

Based on the link to the test in a later post the page says that they are able to see different degrees of red.
Which means they can actually see differences in our day to day world.

I don't like it when a short blurb on a scientific discovery or curiosity is put online and it messes up and makes assumptions like that.

It just seems like dramatizing the article draws away from the heart of the matter.

It could also be that I'm just grumpy tonight.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 02:17 AM
link   

I got a zero. I suppose that I would be ashamed getting anything else (being an artist)...

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 03:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Chonx

I cannot prove this to you, but believe me if you will, all colors have a musical tone. Very few people can hear them.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 04:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Magantice
reply to post by Chonx

I cannot prove this to you, but believe me if you will, all colors have a musical tone. Very few people can hear them.

Actually, this is a known form of Synesthesia.

I'm jealous. I've always wanted to experience this, along with the time-is-colour type.
edit on 24-6-2012 by SibylofErythrae because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Just in the last week I read a post on the io9.com blog which said they were looking for women who might have this particular mutation, but at that point they hadn't. Perhaps putting that out in the media the way they did turned this woman up? This article is pretty vague.

Anyway, it's very interesting. Apparently only women can have this particular mutation because it's only carried on the X-chromosome that in men is replaced by the Y-chromosome. Apparently with each additional set of cones in the eye it exponentially increases the color perception capabilities. So, whereas the average person with 3 cones can differentiate almost 10 million colors, with just one more set of cones this woman can see nearly 100 million.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Just did the color test, got a score of 8, which is damn good but not perfect. The areas I'm weakest are in the blue-purple range and the red to orange range. Not surprised I messed up on purple because I know I have a problem distinguishing purple from certain shades of pink. Kind of surprised about the red-orange one, though. Funny thing about having problems with purples is that purple is my favorite color. Go figure. Maybe it's my trouble with purple that makes me so fascinated with it.

I'm an extremely visual person, I work in a visual medium (film and video) and my trouble with the purple/pink thing has always been of great annoyance to me because of this.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Magantice
reply to post by Chonx

As the other poster mentioned, it's synesthesia. It's rare, but a well known phenomenon. For some people colors might have taste, or a physical feel. Sounds my have a smell....basically, your brain confuses various sensual inputs, your senses are just kind of mixed up. Sometimes those of us who aren't like this can still experience it when on hallucinogens. I think I experienced it once or twice in my life under these conditions, though very fleetingly. It's not a bad thing, just a different way of perceiving the world.

Some people are able to turn it to their advantage. I saw a thing about people who have incredible memory abilities and one guy they were showing had synesthesia and used it to aid in memorizing long strings of numbers. He had all manner of physical feelings associated with specific numbers, like 73 would feel round and bumpy, while 66 might be prickly and oily, or whatever. There wasn't any logic to it, but if you gave him a series of numbers it would basically stick in his mind as a sensual experience, and that made it very easy to recite hundreds, even thousands of numbers perfectly.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 06:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Chonx

Not "colors", OP - hues. Not the same thing.

At least two women in my family (that I know of) have been told they were tetrachromats. One also has an "enhanced" auditory range.
Neither was interested in pursuing more tests because, frankly, what's the point?

Someone in the thread wondered if people call this woman "crazy" etc. My guess is, no. Why would they? First of all, the great majority of people don't even know about it; and when it's obvious that a person can distinguish more hues, the usual reaction is "wow" and/or "my eyes aren't very good". End of story.
As it should be.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 07:09 AM
link   
I got a 3 as well, and now my head hurts. Squinting at those stupid colors, lol. It is relatively easy once you drag and drop them side by side, but my patience had worn thin by the third row and I may have rushed a bit. It says the deficiency I have is in the green/blue range...

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 07:25 AM
link   

www.xrite.com...

and my eyes, vision wise used to be great but have gotten extremely poor in the last few years. I guess this color test is a bit different from an eye chart test where I would fail terribly.

Edit* *after seeing the other scores posted it seems I did fail miserably

But for my age and gender I was pretty good compared to the average.

edit on 24-6-2012 by Nola213 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 07:28 AM
link   
This is evolution, she shouldn't be tested and experimented on and most certanly this should not become an artificial thing.

The number of tetrachromats will increase along with people with other "superhuman" abilities. THIS IS EVOLUTION.

But people will be freaked out and the more evolved will be stigmatized thus our evolution will be slow ..

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   

www.xrite.com...

Thanks for the eye test... i got a 7 which is great.... 7 is my number.... 7 represents God.... 7 is my home no.....

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   
double post!

Accident
edit on 24-6-2012 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   
She could work as a spy. Imagine a espionage letters for her, written in such color that normal people can't see, but she could read them, right next to the ambassador of enemy state. No need for fancy equipment to decrypt, which could be revealed by enemy.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Apparently Blue/Green colour blind people can detect camoflage far better than those with "normal" colour acuity.

Guess I should join the Army then.

Also, with these tests, I think a more accurate test would depend on the resolution on your computer screen.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join