It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gallup: 54% of Americans Would Vote for an Atheist for President

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 03:09 AM
link   
I'd vote for any president that actively and loudly stated that he was not a Christian and would not pretend to be one just to win an election. A president that has to lie about religion will obviously lie about anything else. I don't believe Obama is a Muslim; I do believe he is an atheist.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 03:16 AM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

It would be refreshing to have an atheist president.

We in the U.S are too damn focused on religion and it shows, especially when we elect religious politicians that insist upon forcing their beliefs onto the general population.

People shouldn't complain about radical Islam while voting for radical Christians at the same time.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 04:29 AM
link   
Until the descendants of faithful Christian grandparents wake up and understand that they are Israel, and therefore are renouncing the God of their forefathers, they will never understand God's method of punishment is to give them the basest of men as rulers. We are all looking at them rob us blind, ship our jobs overseas, inundate our shores with tens of millions of immigrants, give the immigrants what were our blessing and destroy our faith in Jesus. The descendants of once faithful Christian forefathers can't see how they've been so misled to destroy their harmony and peaceful way of life based on the laws of God Almighty, exchanged for Talmudic laws governing every minute and aspect of their lives. And yet, they look to a Godless person to save them from the rising darkness in the world, when the One they reject is the provider of blessings.

Keep going USA and the reaping of what is sowed is going to continue tenfold. If you can't see that it's us that have been changed by those whom are Godless, then you'll never understand that you are willingly giving up your inheritance. Esau did it, now Essu is doing it right back. Despise your birthright as the firstborn, break the laws of God by accepting non-brothers as our leaders, and we get exactly what's coming. If you could only figure out that you are destroying yourselves and reaping the punishments because of it. Will the real Israel wake up to their identity? Or will they continue on this path of destruction, never understanding that their God is attempting to correct their behaviour?

Bush isn't a Christian. Obama isn't a Christian. None of them are. They are placed in power by the God of your ancestors to keep taking and destroying from you until you REPENT of this Godless way of life that only brings misery and death and poverty. If you reject the One who blesses, do not be shocked of what's on its way.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 04:43 AM
link   

Gallup: 54% of Americans Would Vote for an Atheist for President

I certainly would. And I probably have. I wonder how many presidents pretended to be Christian in order to get votes but, in their hearts, were athiest or agnostic. At any rate ... I'd rather have an athiest who goes by the secular rule of law than someone who was hard-core religious and allowed their version of truth to seep into the decision making.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 04:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Germanicus
Why on earth would religion matter?

It matters when that persons religious beliefs effect their ability to perform the job.

Example - If someone is stupid enough to believe that the world is only 6,000 years old ... then what other things are they extremely stupid with? If they bought that kind of crap, then what other crap would they buy into? Another example - if they belong to a mysoginistic religion that treats women as second class citizens and proclaims that women dont' have the same rights in a court of law as men ... could that POTUS belonging to that religion then be trusted to be able to represent American women? Could that POTUS be trusted to put the best people in cabinet positions or would he overlook women simply because of their gender and his religion says women aren't of the same value as men.

Religion CAN matter.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 05:37 AM
link   
It's a shame this poll doesn't apply to ATS...

Just sayin'.

The Rev.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010
Maybe if we had an atheist for president then it wouldn't be so easy for America to be dragged into these religious wars we have been fighting. But if one were elected he or she would be dead before they could be sworn in office. It's funny how many people claim to be religious but they seem to forget the peace and love their prophets preached about and scream for blood over the smallest things.

Nothing religious about the wars.

Its about oil, drugs, money, and geopolitical dominance.

Some chose to be the anti-christs (which many of you are) and some of us dont. In the end we will see what is right. Till then, dont get in my way.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I think there's a lot of people who are annoyed by what they perceive as Christians. I have no problem with anyone of almost anyone who believes their own personal faith and doesn't harass and try to impose that on others.

But fair or not, when I think of a Christian, I think of some bible beating, science denying, holier than thou zealot. And while I recognize that probably isn't fair of me, it's probably a common tendency to define a belief by its most extreme variant.

With an atheist, I'd want to know more about their ethics and ideas about morality. I wouldn't want a complete relativist, necessarily, but lack of belief in God is not a disqualifier in my mind.

It'd better better than most politicians who seem to think they're God themselves.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   

I guess it would be great if we knew if our president was a satanist or a cabal instead of them lying and saying they are christian.

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Religion CAN matter.

Yes it does matter indeed.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Wow, I actually agree with you on something!

I too would prefer someone that goes by the rule of law. The trouble is, neither of the current candidates for President can do so.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

It matters when that persons religious beliefs effect their ability to perform the job.
Example - If someone is stupid enough to believe that the world is only 6,000 years old ... then what other things are they extremely stupid with?

Now there's something we can agree on...mark this day, FF!

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   
The public is ready for that. No biggy.

The conservatives, who are mostly Christians, are getting ready to vote for the Republican Romney.

Most of them don't consider Mormonism to be Christian. In their eyes, they are going to elect a non-Christian to the white house... somewhere between a pagan and a new ager.

The anti-religious liberals cannot see what a huge jump that actually is for the right. It would be worth some editorials, if they considered rightists worthy of study, instead of knee-jerk contempt and fear.

The left are so howlingly dismissive of ALL spiritual belief that they cannot admit when the right (their most serious adversary) is evolving.....

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinny

The United States was founded by believers in God. In fact George Washington proclaimed a covenant with God in a small stone church on the corner of what now is ground zero. In God we trust. Hope this helps you to understand why our values are intertwined with our faith.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
i'd PREFER to vote for an atheist. i'm tired of all the religious crap getting in the way. all the atheists i know are nicer than most of the christians i know.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by lambs to lions
reply to post by Sinny

The United States was founded by believers in God. In fact George Washington proclaimed a covenant with God in a small stone church on the corner of what now is ground zero. In God we trust. Hope this helps you to understand why our values are intertwined with our faith.

the founders were theists but they were NOT christians. our country is a country of laws. the founders wanted religion OUT of it.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
The office of president should answer to the Constitution and the American people ALONE, and to no others. Religious freedom is two-fold... freedom for religion to be practised, and freedom FROM religion if you do not believe in such things.
Our Founding Fathers did indeed believe in a creator, but not in the overbloated monster that is organized religion these days.
I will vote for the person I think is the most qualified for the job and who will do what is best for the majority of the citizens of this country... now if only we could find someone who fits that description...

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

The US has been moving towards a more strictly secular nation quite a bit in the past 30-40 years. It may not be obvious in our highest level politicians, but it has certainly been apparent in the various courts, classrooms, and departments of the government.

Over the same span, America has lost a tremendous amount of influence, prosperity, and (dare I say it) luster.

Coincidence?

Revelation 2:4-5:
Nevertheless I have this against you, that you have left your first love. Remember therefore from where you have fallen; repent and do the first works, or else I will come to you quickly and remove your lampstand from its place; unless you repent.

Granted, it isn't limited to those in power, either. We've got a nation more infatuated with their ipods, their TVs, their computers, and their other trinkets of little actual worth than they are with the only thing that actually matters... the health of their souls.

I've kind of lost my faith in the great resurgence over the past few years. I used to believe that all the wake-up calls would be heeded and our country would turn back to right, but I fear that threshold has been crossed and far too many wolves have been let into the sheepfolds. From a religious aspect, as a country, America is hosed. Now all we really have is ourselves, our families, and our friends... so no, I wouldn't vote for an atheist. The greater picture is still out there, even if it has narrowed down to a viewport the size of a pinhole.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join