It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gallup: 54% of Americans Would Vote for an Atheist for President

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   
In my own opinion if someone is qualified to be President and upholds the laws of land and the constitution (which is hard to find these days), then I would vote for them regardless of religious denomination or belief. Having said that, the most important thing isn't belief or non-belief, but character and integrity.

cns.com

(CNSNews.com) - A majority of Americans now say they would vote for an atheist for president of the United States if their political party nominated one, says a new Gallup poll.

Between June 7-10, Gallup asked 1,004 American adults about whether they would vote or not vote for someone based on their religion, race or sexual orientation. Specifically, relevant to atheism, Gallup asked: “Between now and the 2012 political conventions, there will be discussion about the of presidential candidates--their education, age, religion, race, and so on. If your party nominated a generally well-qualified person for president who happened to be an atheist, would you vote for that person?”

I would...

edit on 22-6-2012 by Daedal because: Edit

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedal

Slowly but surely.

Americans will be using the metric system before we know it. ( just kidding )

Why on earth would religion matter? I feel sorry for American politicians in some ways. Not for long though.

edit on 22-6-2012 by Germanicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   
I think this short yet elegant speech covers the separation of church and state

I believe in an America where the separation of church and state is absolute—where no Catholic prelate would tell the President (should he be Catholic) how to act, and no Protestant minister would tell his parishoners for whom to vote—where no church or church school is granted any public funds or political preference—and where no man is denied public office merely because his religion differs from the President who might appoint him or the people who might elect him. I believe in an America that is officially neither Catholic, Protestant nor Jewish—where no public official either requests or accepts instructions on public policy from the Pope, the National Council of Churches or any other ecclesiastical source—where no religious body seeks to impose its will directly or indirectly upon the general populace or the public acts of its officials—and where religious liberty is so indivisible that an act against one church is treated as an act against all. [...] I do not speak for my church on public matters—and the church does not speak for me. Whatever issue may come before me as President—on birth control, divorce, censorship, gambling or any other subject—I will make my decision in accordance with these views, in accordance with what my conscience tells me to be the national interest, and without regard to outside religious pressures or dictates. And no power or threat of punishment could cause me to decide otherwise. But if the time should ever come—and I do not concede any conflict to be even remotely possible—when my office would require me to either violate my conscience or violate the national interest, then I would resign the office; and I hope any conscientious public servant would do the same.

John F. Kennedy
in his Address to the Greater Houston Ministerial Association on 12 September 1960

wikipedia.org/wiki/Separation_of_church_and_state

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Id vote for whomever could run the country and wasnt a paid for drone. The guy who did our plumbing.. Id vote for him over either Obama or Romney. Religion has nothing to do with this decision. Its the MSM being stupid again and mocking up idiot polls to make it sound like its a sample of our whole population.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Germanicus

Americans will be using the metric system before we know it

Been there done that before, it failed

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   
I certainly would, guess people are getting tired of Christian running everything. Time for something different.

link   

Originally posted by Advantage
Id vote for whomever could run the country and wasnt a paid for drone. The guy who did our plumbing.. Id vote for him over either Obama or Romney. Religion has nothing to do with this decision. Its the MSM being stupid again and mocking up idiot polls to make it sound like its a sample of our whole population.

I will admit I believe in a higher power...but when it comes to running a country, I would put aside belief for qualifications, character and genuineness, regardless.
edit on 22-6-2012 by Daedal because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by CynicalWabbit
reply to post by Germanicus

Americans will be using the metric system before we know it

Been there done that before, it failed

Its funny that Australia adopted it really. Then again, it would be sensible to have a universal system

America is very stubborn and set in its ways.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
They voted for Bush and many will vote for romney. Why not an atheist?

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Good!

I find highly annoying how many American ideals are based soley on Cristianity!

"In God we trust" and all the religious crap Judge Judy spews just turns my stomach!

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
How do we really know we haven't already? They lie about everything else... Seriously...I bet we have had an atheist POTUS already and we just didn't know.

Religion isn't part of the job description anyways. As JFK said in 1960, I'm taking an oath to uphold and defend the constitution of the United States, not the Vatican. What religion someone is, or isn't, is for them and nobody else.
edit on 22-6-2012 by BobM88 because: .

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Maybe if we had an atheist for president then it wouldn't be so easy for America to be dragged into these religious wars we have been fighting. But if one were elected he or she would be dead before they could be sworn in office. It's funny how many people claim to be religious but they seem to forget the peace and love their prophets preached about and scream for blood over the smallest things.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   
I believe that's about the same percentage that voted for BHO. He's about as atheist as you can get.

Turn your back on God at your (and your family's) peril.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   
At this point I think we'd vote for a tree stump if we thought it could at fix things at best or not make things any worse at least.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   
I still don't understand why the back of our dollar bills still say "in god we trust" or I pledge allegiance includes "one nation under god."

Unconstitutional?

But on the other hand, there are much much MUCH more unconstitutional issues we need to deal with first.

*cough* illegal immigrants *cough*

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

We, humans, seem to easily toss aside the "be kind to one another" parts of things and only recall the "eye for an eye" bits.

There was a Twilight Zone episode, the original Twilight Zone -- Not the redone version -- where visitors from another planet landed on Earth, read off a review of Earthlings behavior....yadda, yadda, yadda....small talent for war! They visitors say we Earthlings must correct this in 24 hours or the planet will be destroyed. There's manic activity from diplomats hammering out treaties in the next 24 hours. Next day the visitors say..."We created you as a race of warriors, and what you really long for is peace. We're sorry, this experiment is over".

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   

guess people are getting tired of Christian running everything

It's about damn time!

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by balon0
I still don't understand why the back of our dollar bills still say "in god we trust" or I pledge allegiance includes "one nation under god."

IIRC the "Pledge" didn't include the "one nation under god" until sometime in the 1940's...

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   
I would never knowingly vote for an Atheist to represent me at any level of government except in the most extreme of circumstances. Not only for the fact that they are Atheists but also for the fact that an Atheist and I would never agree on almost anything to begin with.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by CynicalWabbit

Failed?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join