Research finds Stonehenge was monument marking unification of Britain

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   
So the scientists are now claiming that Stonehenge was a monument built to unify the peoples of Britain.

After 10 years of archaeological investigations, researchers have concluded that Stonehenge was built as a monument to unify the peoples of Britain, after a long period of conflict and regional difference between eastern and western Britain.

Yea,thats right,it was built to bring peace to the area.

Its stones are thought to have symbolized the ancestors of different groups of earliest farming communities in Britain, with some stones coming from southern England and others from west Wales. The teams, from the universities of Sheffield, Manchester, Southampton, Bournemouth and University College London, all working on the Stonehenge Riverside Project (SRP), explored not just Stonehenge and its landscape but also the wider social and economic context of the monument's main stages of construction around 3,000 BC and 2,500 BC. "When Stonehenge was built", said Professor Mike Parker Pearson of the University of Sheffield, "there was a growing island-wide culture – the same styles of houses, pottery and other material forms were used from Orkney to the south coast. This was very different to the regionalism of previous centuries. Stonehenge itself was a massive undertaking, requiring the labour of thousands to move stones from as far away as west Wales, shaping them and erecting them. Just the work itself, requiring everyone literally to pull together, would have been an act of unification."

phys.org...

I personally don't believe that ,but I could be wrong.

What are your thoughts?

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
freeborn posted some information on this on an old thread of his earlier...not a duplication, so you didn't miss it when searching, but I thought that you might be interested in some of the discussion that had already been raised.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I don't buy the theory either to be honest...and personally am waiting for more research to be done into the acoustics of the structure, which seemingly, to my mind at least, point to some level of performance aspect, whether it be religious or political...or indeed both.

www.newscientist.com...

edit on 22-6-2012 by Biliverdin because: add acoustics linkie

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Biliverdin

Thanks Biliverdin,yeah I missed that.

There is alot more to stonehenge that is being ignored,IMHO.

But,in reference to this article,someone posted a very interesting link you might find enjoyable.

Characteristics for the Occurrence of a High-Current,Z-Pinch Aurora as Recorded in Antiquity

www.scribd.com...

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

Yes, indeed. That is very interesting to me. Ta very much.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   

No i don't buy that either and think this is just as plausable

I think that it is an enigma that we will not find a solution to
Maybe it was abandoned before it was finished

Cran

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   

That in itself,is a whole nother thread,Biliverdin.

Did you see the part about all the glyphs from around the world?

www.scribd.com...

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by cranspace

No i don't buy that either and think this is just as plausable

I think that it is an enigma that we will not find a solution to
Maybe it was abandoned before it was finished

Cran

Liking the angry birds connection!

Alot of questions have gone unanswered

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982

That in itself,is a whole nother thread,Biliverdin.

Did you see the part about all the glyphs from around the world?

No, I hadn't...thanks again.

I am currently studying concepts around and emanating from the Imaginal realm, not to be confused with imaginary. That fits in quite beautifully.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   

So why don't you believe it?

Sounds plausible to me. Something unified Britain around that time, right? It would have taken a major even to do that.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

It was unified? I would think not. What period of time you guys thinking about?

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANOK

So why don't you believe it?

Sounds plausible to me. Something unified Britain around that time, right? It would have taken a major even to do that.

Numerous reasons.

lets do it simple and go with the alignments ,astrologically speaking.

Lot of trouble to get all those lined up for a monument unifying Britain.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune

Well,according to these guys ,it was an attempt.

The teams, from the universities of Sheffield, Manchester, Southampton, Bournemouth and University College London, all working on the Stonehenge Riverside Project (SRP), explored not just Stonehenge and its landscape but also the wider social and economic context of the monument's main stages of construction around 3,000 BC and 2,500 BC. "When Stonehenge was built", said Professor Mike Parker Pearson of the University of Sheffield, "there was a growing island-wide culture – the same styles of houses, pottery and other material forms were used from Orkney to the south coast. This was very different to the regionalism of previous centuries. Stonehenge itself was a massive undertaking, requiring the labour of thousands to move stones from as far away as west Wales, shaping them and erecting them. Just the work itself, requiring everyone literally to pull together, would have been an act of unification."

phys.org...

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Lot of trouble to get all those lined up for a monument unifying Britain.

Hmmm it was a lot of trouble period, right?

Maybe to them unifying Britain was extremely important eh? While they were at it why not align it with the planets?

Unifying Britain would have taken a lot of trouble to achieve I would think?

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

Unifying Britain would have taken a lot of trouble to achieve I would think?

Yes,it would have,I agree.
Do you think it worked?

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Do you think it worked?

I'm just going by what the article claims, and it says it unified the Brits so I would guess it did eh?

Apparently when the Beaker people bought the Bronze age to Britain from Europe they were accepted by the Brits, and even built the second stage of Stonehenge. If the Brits were still fighting amongst themselves, would they have accepted the Europeans so easily?

Beaker People

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANOK

Do you think it worked?

I'm just going by what the article claims, and it says it unified the Brits so I would guess it did eh?

Apparently when the Beaker people bought the Bronze age to Britain from Europe they were accepted by the Brits, and even built the second stage of Stonehenge. If the Brits were still fighting amongst themselves, would they have accepted the Europeans so easily?

Beaker People

I don't think so. Stonehenge was built in many different stages.
Starting some 10,000 years ago.
It was obviously a very important site.

But not for what they have claimed in the article.IMO.

Before the monument (8000 BC forward) Archaeologists have found four, or possibly five, large Mesolithic postholes (one may have been a natural tree throw), which date to around 8000 BC, beneath the nearby modern tourist car-park. These held pine posts around 0.75 metres (2 ft 6 in) in diameter which were erected and eventually rotted in situ. Three of the posts (and possibly four) were in an east-west alignment which may have had ritual significance; no parallels are known from Britain at the time but similar sites have been found in Scandinavia. Salisbury Plain was then still wooded but 4,000 years later, during the earlier Neolithic, people built a causewayed enclosure at Robin Hood's Ball and long barrow tombs in the surrounding landscape. In approximately 3500 BC, a Stonehenge Cursus was built 700 metres (2,300 ft) north of the site as the first farmers began to clear the trees and develop the area.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   

But just because they had been building there for years doesn't mean the main henge was not built to unify the Britons. Maybe they had been trying to unify the Brits for centuries?

Maybe there was more than one reason, maybe multiple agendas from difference factions were at play?

I still don't see why you think unifying the people such a strange idea? I'm not saying it was, I have no idea what it was build for, but it sounds as reasonable as any other explanation and I see no real reason to dismiss the idea out of hand.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

I can not agree or disagree with you there.
The reasoning behind the circles,which continues on til this day,is that ,a mystery.

The Neolithic also saw the construction of a wide variety of monuments in the landscape, many of which were megalithic in nature. The earliest of these are the chambered tombs of the Early Neolithic, although in the Late Neolithic this form of monumentalization was replaced by the construction of stone circles, a trend that would continue into the following Bronze Age. These constructions are taken to reflect ideological changes, with new ideas about religion, ritual and social hierarchy.

en.wikipedia.org...

In my mind,sometimes the simplest answer is the best one.
This explanation just doesn't sit well with me.
I think there is more to the puzzle.
Just like with the pyramids.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Astronomical alignments that have an underlying and unknown energy or power base. They emit power/energy or collect it. Or use it. But these weren't just monuments our ancestors tossed up, nor for any religious reason. These things have a purpose.

Seriously though. After i saw the pyramids of Giza and the pyramids of China pretty much have the same damn alignment, when i looked at the Giza pyramids, it reminded me of a circuit board.
edit on 22-6-2012 by cenpuppie because: (no reason given)
edit on 22-6-2012 by cenpuppie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Multiple examples of the most simple drawing of a human...

... maybe if the Mona Lisa was painted on each one.... You'd be on to something

top topics

<<   2 >>

join