It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Turkish warplane shot down over Syria, pilots captured

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Turkish warplane shot down over Syria, pilots captured

www.rt.com

Turkish military aircraft has crashed in Syria, according to media reports. A local witness has told RT Arabic that the plane crashed on Syrian territory and the two pilots were captured.
The plane appears to have been shot down, the witness said. The craft went down as Syrian air defense opened fire, says Lebanon-based Al-Mayadeen TV.
Other unconfirmed reports suggest that Syria has shot at two Turkish fighter jets that entered Syrian airspace.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   
It seems like NATO have started the invasion of Syria , what i could understand from other sourcese (Serbian news and so on) one plane is down and one got away, 2 captured as it says on RT too.

What do you guys think will happend?
Will this be starting point of the war?

With the American Fleet and the pressure from media and FN it seems like a war will be in our hands , sooner or later.

I even think there is a film from the 80s? Where Russian and American Military clashes in Syria or some other Arab country then the nuclear war starts..

www.rt.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Syria apologizes for taking down Turkish warplane: Turkish PM

Syrian authorities have apologized for taking down a military plane that had lost contact with the Turkish Armed Forces earlier today, Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan said.

The plane was taken down by Syrian forces, an official Turkish source confirmed to Hürriyet Daily News.

The pilots of a crashed Turkish military plane have been rescued by forces, daily Hürriyet reported.
The pilots, who are in good health, were located in the Mediterranean Sea.

www.hurriyetdailynews.com...

Now how do you think that this plane was taken down, was it shot down, was it electronic warfare, well the only people who know are not talking, or should i say that both America, Russia, Syria, Turkey and Israel know, but the rest of the world can only speculate as to what really happened.
edit on 22-6-2012 by cerebralassassins because: (no reason given)

EDIT: Apparently S300's have knocked out of the sky the F4E Phantom, if that is true then we can safely say that Syrian's missile defense system is live and hot..!
edit on 22-6-2012 by cerebralassassins because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Maybe just testing Syrian air defense
to see if they can actualy shot effectively the plane

turkish starting the invasion of Syria .. nah i dont think so
i dont see Eldoran taking part of this futur Syria nato invasion
he is still pissed from the boat attack

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ben81

Possibly, the F4E Phantom is a Tactical reconnaissance variant.

Agreed.

Originally posted by cerebralassassins
EDIT: Apparently S300's have knocked out of the sky the F4E Phantom, if that is true then we can safely say that Syrian's missile defense system is live and hot..!

Shooting down a 52 year old design with a state of the art SAM isn't exactly bragging rights...
edit on 22-6-2012 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Bad thing about those missiles. When they fire one of those suckers , its launch point lights up like the sun on radar. Very easy to retaliate and knock out. We also can detect where the radar feed is coming from so not only do we get to knock out the missile site , we find out where the missile is feeding too and can knock out command and control.

Quantity is vital in combat and of course quality has its place. You lose a few , but in the process of killing 10 or 20 US pilots or NATO pilots ... guess what ... you just lost your entire air defense.

Also , the electromagnetic chaff puffs are becoming main stream in our fighter craft. They neutralize the on board radar detection of missiles for a brief period , disrupt picture lock on , and thermal / heat tracking. Then guess what? The missile wants some of that Chaff , and blows up the chaff field. Aircraft can carry up to 120 of these.

The only way to get around that is active radar , but you are guaranteed death if you go active , not to mention you will be scrambled by electronic warfare aircraft that sit at about 55 thousand feet. I expect those launch sites to go active , so that is why i said 10-20 killed pilots / downed.

Not to mention the EA 6B prowler , it will effectively neutralize any incoming missile to friendly aircraft it is deployed with. Not to mention the electronic warfare craft that sit on the Earths ceiling nearly provides advanced ECCM capabilities.

There is a reason our military budget is so large .. i guess no one can figure out why. Ill give you a hint. So we always have something better than you and when you have something better than us we will jam it and if your jammers jam us , we will jam your jammers. Sounds good to me.

The only reason we will lose , in my opinion , is if the good Lord permits it and i have a feeling the good Lord isnt to happy with the US. Fingers crossed.

edit on 22-6-2012 by milkyway12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Indeed, as it mentioned in the article it flew into Syrian airspace and as you pointed out it was on an RCON mission so i guess the russians had a say in the matter in the form of " lol , take out that fly and in the process lets have a small field exercise with live ammo and a live target.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
The Syriansd have formally apologized and Erdogen has recognized the apology, but the Turkeish military is holding an emergency meeting nonetheless.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   
I was scanning the Turkish media.... and the only reference to this incident appears to be here

www.birgun.net...

but I may not be on the right track...

(sorry about the discombobulated size on the screen capture)

I wonder if this news is "controlled" in Turkey....

Evidently.. the western media will characterize this as a hostile act; the Syrians as an error, and the Turkish as "who knows?"

Of course..., most aficionados of hostilities are fixed in their mindset.

But we don;t know who was in whose territory other than these reports all appearing to indicate that a Turkish aircraft was in Syria's airspace....

It never seems to be "cut and dry" unless you only listen to one side of the story.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   

I think you're confusing Israel with Syria if you're speaking about the flotilla attack. Turkey has supplied arms to the "rebels" in Syria for some time now.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by trysts

I think you're confusing Israel with Syria if you're speaking about the flotilla attack. Turkey has supplied arms to the "rebels" in Syria for some time now.

Well .. if they have done that (quite surprising)
they are not the good guys i though they were

Turkey

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by trysts

Well .. if they have done that (quite surprising)
they are not the good guys i though they were

Turkey

Here is an article from yesterday, though the IRGC has been saying this for months:
news.antiwar.com...

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I'm starting to think that maybe NATO sacrificed an aging F4 "Wild Weasel" to sniff out Syrian Air defense capabilities considering the possibilities of a NATO unforced No Fly zone and wanted to gain data on the Russian S300's SAM system in order to figure out how to defeat them.

Thoughts?

Wild Weasel

A Wild Weasel is an aircraft (usually United States Air Force) specially equipped with radar seeking missiles, and tasked with destroying the radars and SAM installations of enemy air defense systems.[1][2]

Wild Weasel tactics and techniques were first developed in the Vietnam and Yom Kippur Wars, and were later integrated into the Suppression of Enemy Air Defenses (SEAD) a plan used by US air forces to establish immediate air control, prior to possible full scale conflict

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by milkyway12
Bad thing about those missiles. When they fire one of those suckers , its launch point lights up like the sun on radar. Very easy to retaliate and knock out. We also can detect where the radar feed is coming from so not only do we get to knock out the missile site , we find out where the missile is feeding too and can knock out command and control.

One way to findout one of the S300's location. However for testing and identifying SAM sites, I'm sure there are other ways including using a UAV/UCAV or Pilotless fighter jet (possibly older platform with modern avionics to fly remotely). Generally the UAV/UCAV are not moving as fast (atleast the one's that are used currently in the theatre). But then again...its just my thought. Interesting development the past 2 weeks with POTUS using executive privilege, Russian Ship turned away, China's website getting hacked, Iran facing massive cyber attacks..etc etc.
edit on 22-6-2012 by hp1229 because: add content

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Well....do you think they might sacrifice 2 pilots for that? Luckily as per the news it seems they were rescued and not killed. Just curious as I know there are several decisions made during conflicts where the people are considered as 'expendable' assets.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   
For being so old, F4s are a fast, powerful aircraft. If it was shot down over the ocean, how far out?

I'm sure if it was a SEAD variant then it had radar detection equipment on it and would have been able to tell when just before the missile launched (presumably). Why didn't it turn out to sea with afterburners and outrange the missile?

Seems unlikely the plane was flying THAT close to the Syrian coast, but hell maybe it was?

“Witnesses spotted two jets flying in from Turkish territory. One of the planes went down in Syria’s territorial waters, while the other one made off,”

What do they mean "witnesses", radar operators or someone on the ground?

Unconfirmed reports suggest that Syrian defense forces had been shooting at two foreign planes.

I hate how they never tell you the good stuff.
edit on 22-6-2012 by RSF77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   
There seems to be conflicting information coming out of the region. Earlier it was reported Syria appologized and Turkey accepted. However latest news updates are quoting Edrogen as saying there will be a decisive response.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
This is becoming more and more jacked up. The latest info now is Syria did shoot the plane down, there is questions on whose airspace it was in, and apparently the reports of an apology from Syria are bogus. Syria apparently is stating they shot it down and wont apologize for it.

For those who were stating well they were in Syrian airspace, Turkey has been extremely patient with Syrian forces firing guns / artillery into Turkish territory trying to kill those Syrians who fled.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   
With Syria's military occupied with quelling rebellion, they would be no match for Turkey, should they decide to take "decisive action". I'd even wager without Syria's domestic disputes they would still be no match for Turkey in a one-on-one engagement.

Are the Turks looking for this as an excuse to re-establish hegemony over territory lost after WW I?

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zhenyghi
With Syria's military occupied with quelling rebellion, they would be no match for Turkey, should they decide to take "decisive action". I'd even wager without Syria's domestic disputes they would still be no match for Turkey in a one-on-one engagement.

Are the Turks looking for this as an excuse to re-establish hegemony over territory lost after WW I?

I have seen various opinions on the Turkish leader. All the talking heads pretty much summed him up as wanting the days of the Ottoman Empire back, and Syria used to be a part of that.

I can see turkey taking action, and even invading if things go south however I cant see them trying to annex / occupy the country long term without NATO and the EU taking a stand on it. I would think Russia and China would have something to say on that topic as well.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join