It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Syria Shoots Down Turkish Jet, Turkish Navy Massing, Article 4 NATO Treaty Invoked...

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by princeofpeace

And there is a good possibility that there could be hidden nukes with syria too.But bioweapons will accomplish turkey's destruction much better.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   
It's possible that the end game of this situation ends up being a balkanization of Syria. I could see Turkey invading and carving off the northern regions like Aleppo, giving the Russians their port without too many problems, and then leaving the remainder as a rump state. If you look at how the country was divided historically, you get an idea of how the lines might look.

In many ways, a Turkish-Syrian War is a good outcome for NATO if it remains between just those two because it takes the Russians out of the equation as a direct adversary, and still accomplishes the larger strategic goal which seems to be complete control of the Middle East and the further diplomatic isolation of Iran.

In any case, this situation is going hot very soon, and the question isn't whether war will happen, but rather who will be involved and what will kick it off. There's too many interested parties in Syria to allow the civil unrest to resolve itself naturally, and whomever is responsible for the agitation, the bigger question to me just seems how big this war will be.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I haven't seen this pic on here yet. Early AM today, RT splashed this as the jet that was shot down.

I have no way of knowing this or not. Does anybody else have a problem with this not being a F4 Phantom? I know there are many variants... anybody? Profile isn't right.

Here is an F4 similar (but from the bottom)

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by tommyjo

you are correct sir. The plane in question was a U-2 spy plane launched from japan. It was piloted by Francis Gary Powers, and its felling was the excuse needed to cancel the summit between Ike and Kruschev.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by vister74
reply to post by No Retreat No Surrender

an the u.s has got a powerful battle group in the area, and with britains 2 rowing boats....

And a thid on the way or their already

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Get your bunker ready and BOB handy

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrptr
reply to post by SLAYER69

I haven't seen this pic on here yet. Early AM today, RT splashed this as the jet that was shot down.

I have no way of knowing this or not. Does anybody else have a problem with this not being a F4 Phantom? I know there are many variants... anybody? Profile isn't right.

Here is an F4 similar (but from the bottom)

That profile looks more like a Mig27 than a Phantom to me. Its hard to trust everything the Ruskies say.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   
The whole episode is just too convenient for the "Allies", mid and long term.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nucleardiver
That profile looks more like a Mig27 than a Phantom to me. Its hard to trust everything the Ruskies say.

MiG-27 it is definitely not.

MiG-29 it could be.

I agree, that plane pictured above being shot down is definitely not a F-4 of any variant.
edit on 22-6-2012 by majesticgent because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Looks like Obama will get his proxy war on Syria after all. Keeps him from getting his hands dirty in an election year. We'll owe Turkey a HUGE favor. I wonder what they'll ask for when it comes time to settle up.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Trillium

The third carrier group is a standard deployment. They always keep three in the Gulf region when they rotate one home for a month or so. They have to do a handover, and give the new pilots a chance to get to know the region, then one will depart for home. This happens every six months or so.

As for the picture, that's definitely NOT an F-4.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by majesticgent

It's not a -29, it only has a single vertical fin.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Nucleardiver

Looks like F-16 Block D

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

You're right didn't even notice that. Everything else seemed close. Not sure which plane it is to be honest. Not very many planes with two engines and 1 tail with that type of profile. I'll post if I can find a closer match.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 11:53 PM
link   
I think the aircraft looks like it has two engines...anyone else notice that?

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Turkey's Air Force is mainly composed of F-16 variants. They do run F-4 variants and some F-5s. I'm not sure what that picture is. Initially I thought it was a Mig-29 or SU-27 but it appears (in the picture) to only have a single stabilizer.

Is this picture "official"? It's definitely not an F-4.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

I assume you mean D model? Block is followed by a number to show which version it is.

It can't be an F-16 either. It's a twin engine, the wings don't have the missile rails, and aren't straight enough.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Not a F-16. The wings on a F-16 form a straight line on the rear, the rear lines of wings on the plane pictured to be show down are angled.

0.tqn.com...

edit on 22-6-2012 by majesticgent because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Yea f-16D is what I meant...Yea I think it has one vert stabilizer and two engines...my mind is getting a blank..

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL

Looks like F-16 Block D

I was withholding that. Canopy on... my guess is fighting Falcon. So.... is that "Turkish" or...

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 11:59 PM
link   

All F-16s, that I know of, have one engine on them.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join