It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Grandma's bully ordeal rallies the web, raising $275,000 and thousands of death threats

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Grandma's bully ordeal rallies the web, raising $275,000 and thousands of death threats

www.smh.com.au

A video of a 68-year-old US school bus monitor mercilessly taunted by school students has become an international online rallying point against bullies.

A fund for the New York grandmother has already raised $US275,000 ($A270,922) and a deluge of people have demanded harsh punishment for the boys.

The swell of support for Karen Klein follows a recent surge in awareness of bullying in the US that has brought the issue from the classroom to the stage and screen to the White House.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Bullying kids : Making The Bus Monitor Cry (video)
Kids bully 62 year old bus monitor
Should Karen Klein (Bullied Bus Monitor) be getting donations?
edit on Fri Jun 22 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: FIXED BROKEN LINKS

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   
This is truly amazing. Someone who knows the family of the woman involved started a donation cause on a certain donation site to raise just $5000 to send her on a holiday. In the first day it exceeded $100,000, at the time this article was written it was at $250,000 now it is looking like it is going to surpass half a million tonight! And there is 29 days left of the cause!!

With all the deluge of negative events that happen and are reported in the news, it is absolutely fantastic that there are some people in this world who still have a heart. Perhaps we aren't as doomed as many may think?

I just checked the donation site linked in the article (I wont post it here in case it breaks ATS rules - just go to the news article and find the link) and the cause is up to

$478,140

as of last time I checked. Wow. Just.....wow. My faith in humanity has been somewhat restored watching this!

www.smh.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   
I think the money (except grandma's vacation amount) should go to youth programs which may help nip these types of behaviours in the butt.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

"They've received death threats," Greece Police Captain Steve Chatterton said on Thursday. "Their families have been threatened. We have custody of one of their mobile phones, and he had over 1000 missed calls and 1000 text messages threatening him. And he's 13 years old. That must stop."

LMAO, serves him right, little punk. I bet he wont dis an old woman again.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by InTheLight

Some of the commenters are talking about it being used as a retirement fund for her. Personally I think she'll end up giving a lot of it to some charities - she strikes me as that kind of woman.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Juggernog
reply to post by Kryties

"They've received death threats," Greece Police Captain Steve Chatterton said on Thursday. "Their families have been threatened. We have custody of one of their mobile phones, and he had over 1000 missed calls and 1000 text messages threatening him. And he's 13 years old. That must stop."

LMAO, serves him right, little punk. I bet he wont dis an old woman again.

Hehe, my thoughts exactly mate. Hopefully the little #s have had the living bejesus scared out of them - they'll never do it again that's for sure

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Juggernog

Why aren't these boys asked to apologize or better yet why haven't they thought of apologizing themselves? Do they think it was OK to behave like that?

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by InTheLight

Why aren't these boys asked to apologize or better yet why haven't they thought of apologizing themselves? Do they think it was OK to behave like that?

The website of the school involved is linked in the info page on the donation website. I went to it and there is a notice from the school regarding the incident. It goes into detail about punishments and whatnot:

www.greece.k12.ny.us...

Updated District Response to YouTube Video

The Greece Cenral School District has been touched by the outpouring of support for Karen and we share the country’s outrage over the behavior displayed on the videos. We are deeply sorry that Karen was subjected to that kind of treatment.

Based on our internal investigation, and the interviews conducted by members of the Greece Police Department, we have identified four Athena Middle School students as participants in the incident.

edit on Fri Jun 22 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by InTheLight

Because they have no respect for anyone, no one matters to him but him. He is part of the narcissistic generation that FB has helped to create.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Im thinking reformatory or at least a lenghty suspension for the brats.The school must act to set an exampl.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by AgentX09

What do they learn in reformatory? How to reform?

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   
The ancient Hebrews would stone them to death.
edit on 22-6-2012 by Numbers33four because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by InTheLight

You want to straighten out the youths, get the gov to stop telling you how to raise them. A belt across the backside cured me when I was a kid. I remember a young US citizen in Singapore getting caned a decade or 2 back. Tried to use his mental condition for his reason for painting graffiti. That guy has only been in trouble with the law 1 time since(jaywalking) versus a variety of confrontations with the law before he took his vacation.
You need only get the point across there are CONSEQUENCES for 1's actions.
edit on 22-6-2012 by GoldenRuled because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Guys, as much as I agree with the harsh sentiments of most people toward the perpetrators of this horrid act, I would like to ask that we remain focused on the good that can come of this, rather than just thinking up worse and worse punishments for the boys involved and possibly getting this thread censored or deleted.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Update: $485,409

Holy mother of batman.....

That is all.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   
What garbage.

Why does she deserve this money, because she got her feelings hurt? All she had to do was stand up and smack one of those boys across the mouth, problem solved.

$400K+ in a day or two for some butthurt granny while donations for the Red Cross and Wounded Warrior Project are slim to none. Absolutely disgusting. If she goes on a cruise I hope she falls overboard.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dero
What garbage.

Why does she deserve this money, because she got her feelings hurt? All she had to do was stand up and smack one of those boys across the mouth, problem solved.

$400K+ in a day or two for some butthurt granny while donations for the Red Cross and Wounded Warrior Project are slim to none. Absolutely disgusting. If she goes on a cruise I hope she falls overboard.

Sigh...there is always one I suppose.

Have a nice day Sir, thankyou for the comment.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by GoldenRuled

There are consequences and/or punishments for these teenagers from their school and maybe their parents. What more is there to do except keep trying to educate the kids at very young ages what is right and wrong behavour. Let's not forget the mob mentality and immaturity has a lot to do with this.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Those kids need a good dose of reality.

Community service for a year in a hospice or nursing home will change their attitudes about elderly.

How do they not think about her feelings? That's someone's grandmother. I don't think they'd like theirs treated in the same manner.

It's shameful. They made the old lady cry. Not cool.

And about the money. If people want to give her the money. Then that's between them and the bus monitor. That's not my business.

I would hope that she donates a good chunk of that to a cause. But if she keeps all of it. I would be ok with that as well. She needs to get the hell out of there and go have a happy retirement.
edit on 22-6-2012 by grey580 because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-6-2012 by grey580 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join