It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: US Vetoes Resolution on Israel

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 04:48 PM
link   
The US has once again vetoed another Security Council resolution condeming Israel. The current resolution, proposed by the Arab League condems the Israel offensive in Gaza. US Ambassador John Danforth vetoed the resolution saying "The problem with the resolution is there is nothing balanced about it."

www.haaretz.com
NEW YORK - The United States on Tuesday vetoed a United Nations Security Council draft resolution demanding that Israel stop a major offensive in the Gaza Strip that has cost at least 80 Palestinian lives.

A total of 11 nations voted in favor. Britain, Germany and Romania abstained on the measure drafted by Arab nations.

Arab nations demanded in a draft UN Security Council resolution Monday that Israel immediately halt its incursion into northern Gaza.

The draft resolution, submitted to the council in an emergency meeting convened at the request of Arab nations on Monday, calls for an immediate halt to the offensive and calls on Israel and the Palestinians to immediately implement the internationally-backed road map peace plan.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The U.S. bias in favor of Israel becomes more obvious everytime a call is made to amend a resolution to include the terrorists attacking Israel, and then they veto it anyway. These types of repeated actions do no one any good.

Related News Links:
news.myway.com
www.atsnn.com
www.atsnn.com
www.atsnn.com

[edit on 10/5/2004 by phreak_of_nature]

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 06:29 PM
link   
So this is like #20 that the US has vetoed. Israel is still working on satisfying the resolution about the illegal segregation barriers. I don't think Israel can keep up with all the resolutions flying against them. But anyway, who's going to actually do something about it? Noone. The terror will continue due to both sides arrogance in the matter.

EDIT: Grammar

[edit on 5-10-2004 by Jamuhn]

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jamuhn
So this is like #20 that the US has vetoed. Israel is still working on satisfying the resolution about the illegal segregation barrier's. I don't think Israel can keep up with all the resolutions flying against them. But anyway, who's going to actually do something about it? Noone. The terror will continue due to both sides arrogance in the matter.

Yes, but more to the point, the terror will continue due to US support for Israel's position.

U.

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Doesn't suprise me it was struck down by the U.S. I mean with the large christian movement, and the Israeli's being "god's children" in their eyes, the Israeli's could do no harm. Even if they air dropped 100's of tanks onto U.S. soil and started bulldozing down their houses and shooting their families I think they probably would think everything was fine because god must have wanted it that way. It's not like they don't have more pull with our country then we do. Personallly I don't agree with what Israel is doing over there but who am I to say anything.

TCR

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 06:42 PM
link   

The U.S. bias in favor of Israel becomes more obvious everytime a call is made to amend a resolution to include the terrorists attacking Israel, and then they veto it anyway. These types of repeated actions do no one any good

The "bias" of Arab nations against Israel is obvious as well. Not a question of bias. Israel is a U.S. ally. They attempt to act in the best interest of an allied country. Arab nations are acting in their best interests as well. They support the Palestinian people. So of course they put forth a resolution to stop Israeli forces from pressing the assault.

I don't see any Arab nations banding together to propose resolutions to stop the terrorist attacks on Israel. Unless I missed it, there was no Arab League resolution calling for the immediate cessation of rocket launches into Israeli civilian areas by Palestinian groups.

It's terrible that there is a huge loss of life and continued war on both sides. I am as sympathetic to innocent Palestinian loss of life as much as innocent Israeli lives lost. However, I can't help but point out your obvious spin in the commentary you provided with the news link.

I respect your right to your opinion, I just disagree with it in this case
Sorry if this sounded a bit harsh, certainly not intended that way. Just friendly debate mate

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 06:42 PM
link   
The United States has always refrained from supporting any proposal which does not match the condemnation of Israel with similar language for the suicide bombers/militants.

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by upuaut
Yes, but more to the point, the terror will continue due to US support for Israel's position.
U.

Hear hear!

(if yer not Amerikan (or wherever that expression came from), that means I agree whole-heartedly)

Misfit

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 06:45 PM
link   

"The problem with the resolution is there is nothing balanced about it."

Thats funny so is the fighting in Gaza.

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Its things like this that cause the rest of the world (except Israel of course) to hate us. It is a gross system of double standards. An Israeli soldier could walk into a school and shoot it up and the US would veto any measure that punishes Israel for the action. Of course this comes as no shock to anyone that they have a runaway WMD program.

TCR

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Natas313
Doesn't suprise me it was struck down by the U.S. I mean with the large christian movement, and the Israeli's being "god's children" in their eyes, the Israeli's could do no harm. Even if they air dropped 100's of tanks onto U.S. soil and started bulldozing down their houses and shooting their families I think they probably would think everything was fine because god must have wanted it that way. It's not like they don't have more pull with our country then we do. Personallly I don't agree with what Israel is doing over there but who am I to say anything.

I don't agree with many of Israel's actions. But I also don't agree with Palestinian tactics either.

In keeping with your analogy... If the various Palestinian groups set off hundreds of car bombs , blew up buses, and launched rockets and mortars into your neighborhoods, you views might center a bit.

Again, I think both sides have committed wrongs. But honestly, I see alot of lopsided views that are distinctly anti-Israeli in many threads posted. I don't agree with this view. The Israeli government is certainly not perfect. But not addressing Palestinian militant group attacks against innocents is certainly one sided to say the least.

This conflict has a long history, and people should really dig into the roots of this war. It may give some people a fresh prospective.

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 07:04 PM
link   
To keep me from searching for 2 hours on the net, but also to keep me in tune with this thread - would (can?) someone explain to me HOW the fighting started?

It is just my understanding that - a UN/Isreal/Palestine resolution was past long ago seperating the two parties. Shortly after the resolution, Isreal started invading the Palestine area. Hence the Palistinians defending their territory.

Is this true?

Thanx

Misfit

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Misfit... from what I understand the fighting used to be relatively civil. The attacks on civilians began when an Israeli settler went into a Mosque and shot the place up killing a bunch of civilians. At that point the gloves came off.

TCR

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Misfit.. this is an brief synopsis with maps on the whole history of the conflict. www.masada2000.org...

I consider it biased, because it is unabashedly pro Israeli. ( obvious in some of the text) I'll say this upfront, lest someone immediately take it to task. However, it is factually correct, and gives a good basic overview of how things got the way they are. It will at least give you a bit more working information regarding some of the issues in that area of the middle east.

Good starting point to learn more about the whole mess both sides are engaged in. Hope it helps

edit: I think your a bit off regarding the statement of Israel invading Palestinian territory. Read up and let me know your thoughts on the matter. It's an interesting discussion anytime people talk about the Middle East

[edit on 5-10-2004 by TCR]

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 07:17 PM
link   
The difference is TCR is that if the palestinians started launching attacks on U.S. Soil it would be an entirely different reaction then if it was Israel. Of course the palestinians would get obliterated for even trying. Considering they don't have the luxuries that Israel has been provided to them courtesy of the american taxpayer. I.E. State of the art tanks, weapons, planes etc.etc.
How well do you think the israeli's would fair if we cut their financial support in 1/2 and gave the other 1/2 to palestine and allowed them weapon purchases from the U.S. military?
I understand it's a screwed up situation over there. But I don't think we need to have our nose in their business. That's what got us in the entire middle east mess as it is. If it wasn't for our aid, financially and militarilly, Israel probably wouldn't be on a up to date map of the world today.

TCR

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Natas,

Excellent point regarding U.S military aid. I agree with you regarding U.S. military aid. If the U.S didn't provide the aid that we do, it might certainly be a different situation there.

I'm not sure how I feel regarding the U.S providing the huge amount of hardware we provide. It certainly creates problems for us across the globe. We tend to irk alot of other countries in the process.

Of course, why would we ever consider giving aid to both sides of the conflict? "1/2 to Israel 1/2 to Palestinians" as you mention? Did we do this in WWII ? Did we provide munitions to Britain and Germany? Of course not. We provided aid to our allies in that war. This is the same thing we are doing with Israel. I'm not making a judgement on the conflict mind you. But your suggestion of providing weapons to both sides is getting a bit fanciful don't you think? I'm not supporting or denouncing support of Israel. But simply pointing out that common sense dictates it logical that we are only helping one side in the conflict.

Boils down to the fact is that Israel is a U.S ally in the region. Various Palestinian groups are in armed conflict with Israel. I think that it is obvious which side U.S policy falls on. This doesn't make it right or wrong, just stating an obvious fact regarding the current conflict. My point is that it shouldn't suprise anyone that the U.S. actions fall in favor if Israel.

You make another good point regarding whether or not Israel would even be on the map if not for U.S aid. I'm not sure either way. Israel defeated several Arab nations in a matter of days in the not too distant past. They certainly seem capable of defending themselves.

Of course I've read many a post and reports that indicate that Israel blackmailed the U.S for military aid . It has been put forth that the Israeli government years ago threated use of nuclear weapons against enemies if no further aid from the U.S. was forthcoming. No clue as to the veracity of this information. If true, it puts yet another "what if" into the mix.
Israel doesn't have the luxury of affording a loss in a war. They are surrounded by countries that are hostile to them. This puts the citizens and their government on a different mindset than the average American or European.

As for whether it is our business or not is a whole other ball of wax and well outside the scope of the topic at hand I think

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Well I guess US have to keep "some Arabs" nations happy so why not? a resolution, hummmm I wonder how seriously will Israel take it.

Every one knows that Israel will do what Israel feels like is the best interest to its nation, the heck with the resolutions it means nothing.

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misfit
To keep me from searching for 2 hours on the net, but also to keep me in tune with this thread - would (can?) someone explain to me HOW the fighting started?

It is just my understanding that - a UN/Isreal/Palestine resolution was past long ago seperating the two parties. Shortly after the resolution, Isreal started invading the Palestine area. Hence the Palistinians defending their territory.

Is this true?

Thanx

Misfit

How far back do you want to go?
I think it really started in 1917.

The British made a deal with the Sherif of Mecca that if the Arabs fought with them against Germany's ally, the Ottoman Turks (who controlled much of the Middle East), the areas formally under Ottoman control would be given independence.

A promise was also made to the Zionists that called for the creation of a Jewish homeland within Palestine. That promise was in the form of the Balfour Declaration. That promise to the Zionists prevented Palestine from being granted Independence itself.

There were protests following the issuance of the Balfour Declaration. The Palestinians rejected the creation of a Jewish homeland and they rejected the lack of power they had over their own country.

As Jewish immigration into Palestine increased, resentment towards the Jewish immigrants increased and so did acts of violence towards the Jews.

It really got bad when a UN resolution was passed that gave 55% of the land of Palestine to an immigrant population (the Jews) who only accounted for about 1/3 of the people of Palestine at the time of the partition.

There have been numerous bouts of violence after that.

You can read some documents on it from the 1920's and 30's.
Peel Report 1937

Here's a document from 1922 that shows the Palestinians asking for independence and it briefly mentions Hebrew being added as an official language:
CORRESPONDENCE WITH THE PALESTINE ARAB DELEGATION AND THE ZIONIST ORGANISATION

Here's another site here that gives a good background but it's really slow:

The encyclopedia of the Palestinians
Violent Protests: Palestinians also protested through demonstrations and violence. The earliest demonstrations were held in February 1920 to protest the first official public reading in Palestine of the Balfour Declaration. Demonstrations were held in March 1920 to support the proclamation of independence by the second of the Arab congresses in Damascus. The religious celebration of al-Nabi Musa (the Prophet Moses) in April 1920 degenerated into violent attacks on the Jewish quarter of the Old City of Jerusalem. Violence also flared up in Jerusalem on November 2, 1920, the third anniversary of the Balfour Declaration. In May 1921, violent clashes took place in Jaffa and neighboring rural areas. The Palestinian community also boycotted certain visiting dignitaries and stayed away from the September 1922 ceremony at which the High Commissioner took the constitutional oath. A complete boycott was maintained against Lord Balfour when he went to Jerusalem in 1925 to dedicate The Hebrew University.

[edit on 5-10-2004 by AceOfBase]

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 07:53 PM
link   
At times, on some of these forums, the discussion leans to the left and at other times to the right. I am definately a person who needs to find out more about the situation. When I hear the word Palestinian, I think of a mother of five children who has a bomb strapped to her back and being told to board a bus and blow up innocent men, women and CHILDREN! And I guess the only way to overcome that image in my mind is to attempt to learn more of the story and how it all began.

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 07:57 PM
link   
www.cactus48.com...

I think that is a more detailed and less biassed version of the entire history of the region, at least it has many references and is very interesting.

TCR

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Marg, your probably right. Israel will do what it wants regardless of resolutions.

I appreciate the links AceofBase and TigeriS. Finding unbiased information , especially regarding this subject, is extremely difficult. I look forward to reading it all, regardless of slant ( if it has any)

I find that extreme views on either side of a point are often indefensible, as some of the information tends to be false.

As Kentuckie mentions, learning about the situation can only help in understanding.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join