ATS Regent - Questions for Candidates...

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   

What would be your stance on trolling?

As any member has always been encouraged to do if you see a troll, ignore it and alert it. I have suggested that the veteran members working with newer members to teach them the ropes, rules and how-to’s, might help cut back on trolls, a bit. But, at the end of the day, The best way to handle a troll is to not pay them any attention, alert it and let the staff take it from there.

The WATS system. Any changes you would recommend?

It is a great system and there are threads indicating what P, F, S, W and K all stand for and what the numbers attached to them, mean. But, I would recommend, making it much more obvious to the people what they mean. There are still members who don’t understand the WATS system and what those “strange” letters and numbers mean.

Finally, what makes you different from the other candidates?

What makes me different from the other candidates, is something I have been saying quite a bit ( apparently annoying some of my fellow candidates.
) I simply have the experience and the connections to actually get things done for and with the people.

Yes, I was a moderator here at ATS, a member of the ATS Press Corp, a commentator on ATS Live, a current Writer and a long term member who has remained in good standing. I am closer to the owners, admin, mods, than any of my fellow candidates. I am well known and all this will work in not just my favor, but ATS’s favor as a whole.

I have the means and ability to truly work with the people, get the ball rolling on suggestions made by the members, and I will not have to ever use any force, as some of my fellow candidates have talked about using them selves.

I use diplomacy and civility.

A wise man once said, “ speak softly and carry a big stick”. This is what I do.

Diplomacy is a mighty big stick and I have every intention of using it.

Thank you all, for reading my answers and considering me for your ATS Regent.

I wish good luck to my fellow candidates.

Truth_2012

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by SonoftheSun

1 - Would you suggest altering, changing or creating new Boards?

If so, please expand as to the reason why.

The only addition I think that I would like to see. Is a forum for the best of ATS.

Where the best threads of ATS are linked for members to easily access.

2 - How do you feel about the Flags?

Not to be touched? To be altered or taken out? Would you suggest another way of rewarding threads?
Please expand.

I think the flag system works fine the way it is. However, as I stated above. I would like to see a forum where threads that reach a certain level of flags are given a place in the ATS hall of fame.

Maybe any thread that gets over 100 flags will get a link to it in the Best of ATS forum.

3 - How do you feel about the Stars?

Any changes you would suggest to that form of recognition? Please expand.

I think the star system works fine. As other members have suggested it might be nice to be able to unstar a post if you change your mind or star a post by mistake.

4 - What would you DO to reinforce the T&C?

Please expand.

If I read a post that I think violates the T&C. I would use the alert feature and remind others to not feed the trolls. Using the alert feature works very well and I don't see any need to change that aspect.

5 - What would you suggest to help out new members arriving?

Please, no links to already made up threads on this subject. I would like YOUR opinion. Please expand.

I would subscribe to the new member introductions thread and also the Freshman forum. I would welcome new members and offer my assistance to them. I think I can be a helpful resource available to all members.

6 - What would you DO to help lurkers turn into avid participants?

The lurking here is huge. Often met with criticism and arrogance, the member in lurking mode would most probably like to participate but hesitates. What would you concretely DO to change this situation?
Please expand.

I don't really see a problem with lurkers. I think that trying to put down lurkers is a bad thing and might only chase people away. I think the best encouragement for the lurker is to create meaningful posts and threads that will interest people and make them want to become involved on their own accord.

7 - What would you suggest to promote ATS, that already doesn't exist?

No links to already made up threads please. Let's see your creativity at work here. Please expand.

I think word of mouth is always some of the best form of advertising. Welcoming new members and conveying a friendly community atmosphere will encourage them to tell a friend or family member.

8 - What would be your stance on trolling?

Trolls will always be. But what would you do about it? Please expand.

Trolling is sometimes obvious. But often it is a matter of perception. As long as it doesn't violate the ATS T&C then I think they are allowed to post what they wish.

Personally, when I encounter a troll post or thread. I try to just ignore it and move on. There is too much to other quality content on ATS and too little time. No need to feed the the trolls.

9 - The WATS system. Any changes you would recommend?

Please expand.

I think it is fine the way it is. No changes.

10 - Finally, what makes you different from the other candidates?

Basically, why would a member vote for you instead of another? Please state your reasons.

I am the Ipsissimus

I have experienced life in many places and in many ways. I know the ups, the downs, the highs and the lows. I have traveled to different countries and continents. I know much about religion, history, geography, science, math, music, art. I have been called a sage, a mystic, a guru, an oracle, a teacher, a prophet and a poet.

I know that there is still much I need to learn and I can humble myself when necessary. I will teach everything I know and I always will practice what I preach. I am an optimist and an opportunist at the same time. I strive towards acheiving positive goals that align with my morals and ideals. I seek to attain peace and enlightenment. But I will not run from conflict if there is a need to confront any perceived evils.

I come from harsh city streets. But I still live among the stars. My foundations are solid but they can still rest on a cloud. I will roar like a lion yet whisper like the wind. My eyes see beyond their own vision. My ears hear only from the heart. When challenged by adversity I will bend and not break. My edges are sharp but my center is soft.

My breath speaks only Truth. I deny ignorance like a blacksmith who pounds his hot steel over the anvil, breaking away the slag to reveal the inner stength and secret form hidden within. I will form, mold and shape the future from the crumbled remains of the past. I have journeyed from the fiery pits of Hell to hallowed grounds in Heaven and back to the blessed Earth again.

From the warm, sweet milk of a mothers teet. To the harsh crack and painful sting of the slave drivers whip. I have tasted the fruits of my labor. My eyes have seen the glory and the despair that encompasses all that shapes this reality and beyond. I have witnessed galaxies being destroyed and the Universe become immortal. There is nothing I have not seen nor anywhere I have not been.

I am the reaper and the sower. I am peace and I am war. I am a tool and a weapon. I am joy and I am sorrow. I am love and I am hate. I am life and I am death. I am chaos and I am order. Each day I suffocate with every breath.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Druid42
******Commercial Break******

but....but.... you didn't mention how good looking I am!!

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 12:33 AM
link   

I'd advocate for a forum redesign. ATS has like 30 different colors going on. Green, Grey, Dark Blue, Light blue, 10 gradients and more.

The home page is confusing, it lists all the hot topics, but it should just be the FORUM home page... like most forums. Any friend that I've invited to ATS has a hard time navigating this site. It's interface is flat out confusing, especially to people that aren't web savy.

The concept of the Flag is great but the name isn't. On most forums, flag means "flag as rules violation". People that are not fimiliar with ATS terminology would think that it means something bad.

I think it is nice to see the communities reaction to individual posts.

I think the T&C is too strict at the moment, I wouldn't do anything unless it is an extreme violation. Regents aren't mods.

Post, read, live and learn.

I would encourage others not to view people to try and understand everyone's point of view. The US vs THEM mindset is so dated, it is 2012.

For more people to question everything. There are so many people on here that believe anything they read on the internet to be true as long as it fits their world view. Confirmation bias is dangerous and prevalent on ATS.

As long as they aren't an inflammatory mean troll then I'm alright with it. Trolls will always exist on the internet.

I'm content

I keep it real

Basically, why would a member vote for you instead of another? Please state your reasons.

Most of the other candidates take life too seriously. Half of them already sound like authoritarian dictators.

edit on 23-6-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 01:27 AM
link   
I now have celebrity endorsements!

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 05:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleChiten
I now have celebrity endorsements!

THAT

was Brilliant !!!!!

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Even aliens want to believe....

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 06:45 AM
link   

edit on 6/23/2012 by IpsissimusMagus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 08:15 AM
link   
***UPDATE***

Personal messages have been sent to ALL candidates that haven't responded yet. Available, if they wish to...

To get a better image of the Candidates and their platforms, I also suggest that members have a look at the interviews that are being conducted by OpinionatedB in this thread :

ATS News Political Desk: Upcoming ATS Regent Candidate Interviews

Personal messages have also been sent to candidates that would like to be interviewed but haven't had the chance yet...

Some real gems in there !!!

* Back to the regular programming...*

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by SonoftheSun

I am currently on vacation and I am finding these threads about
voting for an ATS regent.You don't vote regents into power,they
are born to their position.
I am now declaring myself as the Queen of ATS! I will never allow
anyone to take my crown.I am SHE that must be obeyed!Anyone
who opposes me...off with their heads.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

News Break !!!

*runs....

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Each board should have between 3 and 10 sub-boards, and there should be stiff penalties for posting in the wrong boards.

The flagging system should not be altered. They suit our purposes very well. When you have threads like "Dog eats man whole" getting on the front page and dominating the talk while embarrassing threads like "Gore actually won Florida" getting no attention.. you can understand our pleasure with the system.

See above. Stars add to the re-enforcement of logical fallacy and hiveminded antics. Once you condition the membership with positive reenforcement of wacky ideas and outright incorrect assumptions, it makes my job a lot easier.

I believe the staff here is doing an excellent job weeding out the undesirables.

Pay close attention to what topics are hot and which opinions get stars and mirror those talking points.

I actually understand the reason for much of the lurking here and cannot comment based on that knowledge.

ATS should promote in gun magazines and other popular 'patriot' formats. Recruiting members from these avenues would make my work here much more important.

Trolling should not be tolerated, and anyone asking for evidence, or using logic to dissect information should always be deemed a troll. They are educated and should not be trusted.

CHANGE NOTHING.

I have your best interests at heart and can protect your from everyone including yourself. Help me help you by voting me your leader. Together we can make ATS a safe place for your to post all of your innermost thoughts, fears, and intentions.

Paid Shills and Disinformation Agents Party

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by SonoftheSun
Hello Candidates and fellow members alike,

I had posted a question in the official election thread and unfortunately, it was only met with two candidates having the courtesy to answer them. No need to mention them but their answers have been duly noted.

There are currently 30 unofficial parties running for the ATS Regency. 30 candidates that are willing to make ATS better, or funnier, all depending.

I have read some platforms that talk about changing the world one member at a time, and while I admire such intentions, I also believe that the Regency stands for "By members, for the members" and as such, the platforms themselves should reflect on what they would do for ATS and its membership.

Big thanks to Beezzer for coming out with such an idea. I have come to hate politics, its double swords, the corruption and its power trips. The ATS Election thread has sparked a renewed interest.

But many platforms are evasive, unclear and somewhat undefined when it comes to ATS. So here are a few questions that are ATS oriented.

Not to be touched? To be altered or taken out? Would you suggest another way of rewarding threads?
Please expand.

4 - What would you DO to reinforce the T&Chase expand.

Please, no links to already made up threads on this subject. I would like YOUR opinion. Please expand.

The lurking here is huge. Often met with criticism and arrogance, the member in lurking mode would most probably like to participate but hesitates. What would you concretely DO to change this situation?
Please expand.

No links to already made up threads please. Let's see your creativity at work here. Please expand.

Please expand.

Hopefully, this will help some members that are still on the fence, in making a right decision as to who would be prepared to become the first ATS Regent.

Looking forward to your answers. This is not a debate thread.

One already is in place.

I encourage other members that do not run in this campaign to add to those questions and/or participate in clearing things up.

?

Discuss

edit on 24-6-2012 by twohawks because: screwd the pooch
edit on 24-6-2012 by twohawks because: (no reason given)

As the official "grain of salt" representitive, my views on the forwarding questions are as follows.

1.Would I alter or add new boards.?
Ans. As a carpenter I alter and add new boards quite often. In fact, I just added a new board to my boat the other day to facilitate mounting a trolling motor. Works great!.

2. How do I feel about tha flags?
Ans. I feel like thay sort of just hang there ya know. I thought t was great when someone made them into a pair of boxers. I guess if they were small enough you could double them as tea cozies but some one might take offense to that.

3. How do I feel about the stars?
Ans. The're what brought me to this site in the first place. If it had'nt been for star gazing as a young man, my interest in ufo's and conspiricies might never have developed.

4.What would I do to reinforce the T&C's?
Ans. Public floggings worked great in the middle ages, the whole "off with their head" thing is a little to drastic for my taste. I do belive in being fair after all.

5.What would I do to help out new members arriving?
Ans. Not a dam thing except hand em a beer and tell em ta hold on ter there hats cause this ride gets bumpy.

6.What would I do to turn lurkers into active participents?
Ans. Refer back to answer 4.

7.What would I do to promote ATS that doesn't already exist?
Ans. Well to quote the late great Hermes aka Thoth or Thrice Hermes, "The all is the all and nothing exists outside the all" therefore your question has no bases in reality.

8.What would be my stance on trolling?
Ans. I generally don't stand while trolling, you see my boat is rather small and a bit rocky so I uaually sit while trolling however I do catch my biggist fish that way.

9.awhats my take on the WATS system.
Ans. Well I was present during the riots in Los Angeles back in the early 90's and it was very sad seeing these folk destroying there neighborhood.

10. What makes me different from the other canidates
Ans. Everything and nothing. Again please refer to the teachings of Thoth.( not to be confused with any member who may have borrowed this moniker for the purpose of thinking their cool) all t?&c's apply any additional inquiries may be directed to customer service at 1-800- eat my shorts

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by twohawks

the whole "off with their head" thing is a little to drastic for my taste.

Agreed ! Thanks for dropping by !

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   
I, OrphenFire, Supreme Being of the Stark Party, do hereby undertake the solemn and truthful answering to these here questions, solemnly and truthfully.

The Boards in place are efficient, both above and below. One can easily find a forum in which to post about any topic imaginable. I myself have not been to every single thread, but I probably have been to most and participated in many.

In regards to the alternative substances forum, I think it is for the benefit of all that it remain closed. HOWEVER, I think the staff could allow leniency when it comes to posting breaking news stories in relation to alternative substances. When California was voting on the legalization of a certain plant, in my ignorance of the rules regarding such discussion, I posted a thread to discuss the story. I quickly discovered that such discussion, even in relation to such an important public topic, was strictly forbidden with no exceptions. Again, I think the staff should exercise sound judgement and righteous scrutiny with such posts, instead of the strict "zero tolerance" policy. Perhaps a new Board can be created that deals only with news-worthy topics relating to alternative substances, and each new thread must be approved by an administrator before going public. The further discussion should be closely moderated to avoid what ever it is that happened to shut down an entire board in the past (I was not privy to what ever goings on took place to warrant such action).

Flags are like banners to wave, which speak silently to all other members, saying, "I have posted noteworthy threads and contributed widely to the site." I think the flagging is very one-sided, though. Perhaps we could allow members to take away flags, in the same way that they add them. So if 50 members flag a thread and 75 members de-flag it, the thread has a -25 flag count, which reflects a more accurate representation of all members' opinions of the thread. Too many times I've entered a "hot" thread with lots of flags, only to find a rubbish post about something completely irrelevant or a terribly written run-on sentence with no capitalization about their visions of aliens living inside windex bottles or something. Somehow the thread gets 46 flags and still 99% of the reply posts are, "Go see a doctor." Obviously, the flagging system does not accurately depict every member's opinion of the value of every thread. For now the only alternative to flagging something is not flagging it, but I think ATS would benefit more from the ability to un-flag.

An alternative to flagging and un-flagging would be something similar to YouTube, a Like and Dislike, where each thread has a bar with all the green "Likes" and red "Dislikes". This would be an even better method to correctly portray members' opinions of threads. Instead of one member's un-flag cancelling out someone else's flag and vice versa, simply tally both and display the results at the top of each thread.

Stars are a neat way of saying, "I like what you said. Here's a star." I do not think stars should be +1/-1, I think posts are fine being as they are: you either star it or you don't. However, I think it would be interesting if the site could tally who starred what, so you can see what sort of posts someone has starred. That way if I've given out 3000 stars throughout my ATS career, anyone can view exactly which posts I starred in my profile. Obviously this feature is not backwards compatible in that there is no way to show every post I have starred before such a feature goes live.

Nothing. I think the T&C is fine (with the exception of the previously discussed "zero tolerance" policy), and the enforcement is fine. I have been banned in the past and had posts removed for various reasons, but each time I was in clear violation, therefore I see no reason to change things.

New members don't really have it any differently than 5 year veterans. You join, you post, you earn a reputation. This forum isn't a particularly difficult environment that requires a significant learning curve to navigate. If new members can't find their way, there's always the help section.

(continued...)

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   

I've given this some thought I think there could be incentives for new members that could get some lurkers to join. First of all, when I lurked ATS for a brief time, I saw a very boring forum with no avatars. I had no idea that avatars were on the forum and it was my impression that ATS was a forum which completely lacked them. How was I to know that by joining I would see them? I ended up joining because I wanted to participate in discussion and much to my delight, the site DID have avatars. However, what if some lurkers never join because they think as I did? I'm sure such a demographic is minor, but it is worth considering. Perhaps we could enable avatars for all visitors, thereby increasing the visual appeal of the site to everyone. ATS is the only site I've ever been to that disables avatars to offline visitors.

I remember a while back there was an actual TV commercial for ATS. I think perhaps ATS could actually EMPLOY journalists. As in paid journalists who go into the field with a real press-pass and report on events, and get paid by ATS. I think the types of journalists ATS would attract would result in ATS uncovering some amazing stories. The bigger the story, the more money there is to be made. This would gain greater and greater influence for ATS in the world.

I enjoy a good troll. Trolling isn't necessarily breaking any rules. The best trolls are the ones that seem so sincere, but just underneath you can tell that it MUST be a troll. As long as a troll doesn't break the rules, let the trolls be. If you recognize a troll, don't feed it.

Yeah, I only very recently even found out what that all meant, and I had to go actively looking around the forum to learn about it. I think it is a bit redundant. We have flags, and we have stars. And we have WATS? I don't even WANT to go into the calculation of WATS. It isn't neat or interesting, just confusing. Apparently it's been discussed ad nauseum, but I never saw the explanation. I had to go looking because I kept wondering what W and K meant. My idea: remove WATS and implement the aforementioned improved flagging and star systems.

I'm different because I'm me. Big deal. You either like my ideas or you don't. You don't have to vote for me, or for anyone. I do listen to others and as a very open-minded individual I would consider any and all suggestions posited toward me, which I would then forward to our overlords at ATS. See you all at the "election", and I hope you enjoyed my responses to all these questions.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by OrphenFire

I hope you enjoyed my responses to all these questions.

Yes I did !

As a matter of fact, I have enjoyed every single replies from all candidates so far !

Hoping it helps members make a right decision when the real voting starts.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by SonoftheSun
Hello Candidates and fellow members alike,

I had posted a question in the official election thread and unfortunately, it was only met with two candidates having the courtesy to answer them. No need to mention them but their answers have been duly noted.

I can't speak for others, but in my case work had to take the front seat for the last few days as I was facing a printing deadline.

No I would not. First and foremost this election is for a ceremonial Office and the winner would have no such power. Second I think the Board is already complex enough and the current list is expansive enough to cover any topic that might come along.

Please expand.

I'm not fond of them personally, but others like them. As long as there are members who like them, I see no reason to complain.

Same as my previous answer on "flags".

That would be up to the Owners and the Mod's. Personally I'm pretty happy with the way the Board is run now and see no reason to complain or change anything. I have faith in the ownership and mod's here.

We should all probably pay more attention to the introduction threads. Beyond that it's up to the new members to make sure they review the T & C's.

I do think everyone should give new members some slack as they acclimate to ATS.

Please expand.

Again, Regent would have no power in that regard. That should be addressed to the owners of the Board.

As to what anyone can do to encourage people to participate; simply act like adults.

Continue as it is, which seems to be working quite well. If it's not broken, leave it be.

I'm satisfied with the job the Mod's do to control that. I'd leave them to do their jobs and help them by alerting them to problems.

I think as members the best way to deal with it is to ignore them. Leave it up to the mods to work out who is or is not a Troll. That word gets way to much play around here as it is. Some use it to describe people who do not agree with them. If they don't have an argument they play the Troll Card.

I've never paid any attention to that to be honest. It's of no interest to me, but if others like that part of ATS it does not bother me either.

I think ATS is great the way it is now and I see no reason to rock the boat or ask for changes. Why fix what is not broken? I look at other Boards and am always reminded how much better it is here. Sometimes progress is leaving things alone that are not broken.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by nenothtu

Damn plebeians. They'll burn ATS to the ground I tell you!

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join