ATS Regent - Questions for Candidates...

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Hello Candidates and fellow members alike,

I had posted a question in the official election thread and unfortunately, it was only met with two candidates having the courtesy to answer them. No need to mention them but their answers have been duly noted.

There are currently 30 unofficial parties running for the ATS Regency. 30 candidates that are willing to make ATS better, or funnier, all depending.

I have read some platforms that talk about changing the world one member at a time, and while I admire such intentions, I also believe that the Regency stands for "By members, for the members" and as such, the platforms themselves should reflect on what they would do for ATS and its membership.

Big thanks to Beezzer for coming out with such an idea. I have come to hate politics, its double swords, the corruption and its power trips. The ATS Election thread has sparked a renewed interest.

But many platforms are evasive, unclear and somewhat undefined when it comes to ATS. So here are a few questions that are ATS oriented.

1 - Would you suggest altering, changing or creating new Boards?

If so, please expand as to the reason why.

2 - How do you feel about the Flags?

Not to be touched? To be altered or taken out? Would you suggest another way of rewarding threads?
Please expand.

3 - How do you feel about the Stars?

Any changes you would suggest to that form of recognition? Please expand.

4 - What would you DO to reinforce the T&C?

Please expand.

5 - What would you suggest to help out new members arriving?

Please, no links to already made up threads on this subject. I would like YOUR opinion. Please expand.

6 - What would you DO to help lurkers turn into avid participants?

The lurking here is huge. Often met with criticism and arrogance, the member in lurking mode would most probably like to participate but hesitates. What would you concretely DO to change this situation?
Please expand.

7 - What would you suggest to promote ATS, that already doesn't exist?

No links to already made up threads please. Let's see your creativity at work here. Please expand.

8 - What would be your stance on trolling?

Trolls will always be. But what would you do about it? Please expand.

9 - The WATS system. Any changes you would recommend?

Please expand.

10 - Finally, what makes you different from the other candidates?

Basically, why would a member vote for you instead of another? Please state your reasons.

Hopefully, this will help some members that are still on the fence, in making a right decision as to who would be prepared to become the first ATS Regent.

Looking forward to your answers. This is not a debate thread.

One already is in place.

I encourage other members that do not run in this campaign to add to those questions and/or participate in clearing things up.

Discuss.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by SonoftheSun

A great idea!!!

I'm glad others have obtained enough interest to start asking questions on their own.
*bravo!*

Thank you.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   
LIBERTARIAN PARTY OF COMMON SENSE:

What would I change or add to the boards?
I would create a board for short questions. We've all had them aint we? And we all feel really guilty taking up a whole thread for a quick question, well not if there was a board dedicated to that

I would also re open the the "substance" board. Heck! There so much to talk about, especially in the medical field! They can heavily moderate it all they want, to make sure we don't stray to recreational use, that's fine, but please let us have adult discussion in regards to other aspects!

How do I feel about flags?
Awesome. I wouldn't change them, I already like the fact to can take them back lol. Purely for organisational reasons, top topics get flagged. I have the same opinion on stars.

How would I reinforce the TnCs?
I wouldn't, I already feel like I'm in a virtual police state.

What would I suggest to new members?
I would recommend RA's FAQs threads (new members love it!)
I'd also recommend getting familiar with the site before possibly posting some mundane things (saves em the embarrasment, which they shouldn't be madfe to feel btw).
I would also give them the heads up on the search function.

What would I do to get the lurkers out?
Not a lot, I was a lurker, then I found a voice, each in their own time I think!

What would I do to promote ATS?
Not a lot I could do, that the site owners haven't already done. We pretty much own the google searches, so if it aint broke don't fix it.

What's my stance on trolling?
We're all guilty now and then, you know it! I think there's the genuine funny kind, and just the darn annoying. If some ones annoying enough, they'll get their warning from the site I'm sure.

How do I feel about the WATS system?
I think it cool, you can tell a lot about a member from their profile info, I don't know how it works really, but I'm all for keeping it.

What makes me different?
I have common sense. I also think the fact that all my work on ATS is done on a mobile phones shows my dedication to this community.

Well there you go
thanks for asking.
VOTE SINNY!
edit on 22-6-2012 by Sinny because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by SonoftheSun

I think that some boards need to be created, mainly a 2012 hoax board separate from the main hoax board, and a BTS section for people that like to spin yarns about themselves to get attention, dunno what i'd call it but it would be nice ot have all of the "i'm an alien" and "I'm god" threads in one place.

Not to be touched? To be altered or taken out? Would you suggest another way of rewarding threads?
Please expand.

Leave the flags alone, they are a good indicator of how much people are watching a topic. There doesn't seem in my opinion (and this is from experience on other sites) another good way to do that function.

Stars are good, they are a vast improvement over the reputation systems of other boards,

Please expand.

The T&C's should be enforced, bar none. There are too many people that are actively trolling for attention or just plain posting known hoax information as absolute fact, and then threatening or insulting those who dissent, even infractions like that need to be dealt with harshly. If you start a thread, and you claim in it "I am an alien, I have proof" and your "proof" doesn't hold up, you need to be reprimanded with a 24 hour ban, OR some other punishment.. Threads such as that or the Nibiru stuff are dangerous, as they get people to do things that they wouldn't normally do because they are so hyped with fear off known hoax sites, and are so defiant to real science sometimes, that minions begin to form, and we all know where that ends up and it's not pretty, ATS should not be responsible for a mini-cult following forming around something that is a known bit of bunk.

Please, no links to already made up threads on this subject. I would like YOUR opinion. Please expand.

We need a set of dedicated member volunteers and a board of their own to introduce and assist new members and the questions they may have. This would free up the Board Business area for business and also help foster trust in the site, with members helping members.

The lurking here is huge. Often met with criticism and arrogance, the member in lurking mode would most probably like to participate but hesitates. What would you concretely DO to change this situation?
Please expand.

Seriously, I would have to give some thought to that... Lurkers are a problem on most message boards. Other boards restrict access to certain sections of the site unless you are registered, maybe ATS can do the same.

No links to already made up threads please. Let's see your creativity at work here. Please expand.

Facebook contests, twitter contests, etc.. more though would have to be given on this..

Ban... immediately...

Please expand.

I don't fully understand the WATS and Karma systems enough to comment.

Basically, why would a member vote for you instead of another? Please state your reasons.

I am an ex US Government Goon (retired due to health and children needing me) Mother of 3 disabled children (which means i normally have a lot of patience) a great CG artist, and the most clueless one of the entire bunch running...

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Hello Candidates and fellow members alike

Hello, and thank you for taking interest in the race

Yes.

If our party, the ATS People's Party were to be elected, we would create further region specific boards. The reasoning behind this is:

1: It will give the sense of a "Home" board to members from regions all over the world

2: Members enjoy posting important region relevant threads, with most the time, said threads being ignored if outside the USA. Creating region specific boards will allow members from the same region to post relevant topics, getting the much needed attention, and being able to discuss in depth the severity of the problem.

3: The boards could also be used as a place to cool off and research region specific threads.

Please expand.

In my opinion, flags are crucial to the way Above Top Secret operates. As it is highly member dependent, i would leave the system in tact. It is an excellent way for members to tell what threads have great content.

This being said though, a lot of threads with great content are missed. Something needs to be done, and as my party is for the people, anyone can come forward and suggest a solution

The use of stars is also a system which is highly dependent on users. I feel it is a good system as it shows how much members agree with each other.

The only changes i would make would be an un-star option, and the attempt of fixing the error code when refreshing the page after starring.

Please expand.

Our party will work hand in hand with moderators.

Members will be provided with either U2U's or threads regarding the T&Cs. While this already happens, i feel it could be done better. perhaps the moderators could make the T&Cs more accessible, make them more open for anyone to see.

I would help the moderators welcome new members and assist them in any problems they have. I will show them the "ropes" of ATS. As for suggesting...i think a more active force in the introductions forum would work. As in a force which would help the new members. Perhaps a force made up of a select few of ATS members.

Please expand.

No one can change the members attitudes internally. However, i would promote respect on all boards. I think there is already enough incentive there to lure lurkers in.

Good question. ATS is already the most popular conspiracy and alternative based site on the planet. That being said though, there are still real world option to promote ATS, such as printing off flyers and handing them out to people.

Work hand in hand with moderators to create a healthy site. Perhaps enforce the T&Cs more. Make trolls more aware of what actions could be taken against them.

Please expand.

No, i think it is fine.

I consider the people to be equal. While my party has its core ideologies, members of the party, and ATS in general can enter discussions with myself at any time. ATS is driven by the people and the people are the ones who deserve to make the decisions. It is simple; If one is concerned regarding something, they can contact me and i will help them out, or we can make decisions together. Then i can report said decisions to the moderators and owners of ATS to see how they feel about changes. I would even go to polls to get majority's decisions on changes.

The ATS People's part is everyone's party,
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thanks

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Yes, but only as needed in specific cases. Some times, things come up that are "hot" topics of such interest that they really deserve their own Board. Those things are few and far between, and the creation of each new board only adds to the complexity of ATS. Therefore, the creation of a new board should be a matter of deliberation and consideration - do we really need this proposed new board? Can we justify increasing the complexity of ATS? Is the topic really that momentous, and could it perhaps be handled differently within the existing structure?

It has been discussed among the candidates the ATS can sometimes be overwhelming to new members, and that is probably so. It's a huge place, with a topic somewhere covering nearly anything, and a membership that between them DOES cover everything. Although I've been here around 4 years, there are STILL things I learn about ATS.When creating an entire new board, there ought to be a compelling reason to add another avenue that will increase the complexity.

Please expand.

I'm happy with the flag system, especially with the recent addition of being able to "unflag" a thread. In general, the flag system alerts members that here is a topic others have found worthy, and which you may too. It ranks the threads and determines what hit's the front page, making it easier to find such threads for those who don't care to navigate the warrens that the boards can sometimes appear to be

With the addition of the ability to unflag a thread, thus adjusting your opinion as the thread progresses or in the cases where one may have misread or otherwise flagged too quickly, it's near perfect. Flags are like votes, and I don't know about you, but there have been times I've wished I could take MINE back!

The stars work well as a form of recognition. They're quick and easy, and give you a degree of input into each post. The only change I would like to see is the ability to "unstar" a post. Perceptions and opinions change over time.

Please expand.

Enforcing T+C is not the function of Regent, it's the function of staff. The Regent should have no more power to enforce the T+C than any other member. Nothing beyond a gentle (or not so gentle as the case may require) reminder, and turning the matter over to staff if accommodation can't be reached. A member who fancies himself the "T+C Police" can be very annoying if taken to excess and repetitiveness, and a Regent is first and foremost a member, a man of the people, not staff. Of course staff are people, too, but their position gives them an added dimension of responsibility that can keep them far too busy with day to day matters of running a website, and not out in the general population.

Admittedly, this is not my strong suit. When I first came to ATS, I viewed it as a "new territory", a challenge to be explored, and so did not fall into the same sort of confusion as most people. For me, half of the joy was in the discovery, which is not the case for people with more structured minds. Because of that, I'm open to suggestion and discussion of what CAN be done, with a concentration on input from others who have found the complexity to be a problem and offense to their way of learning. I don't know everything, nor can I think for anyone else. That makes it doubly important for them to speak up and offer suggestions for what might help THEM. The best thing I can do is be approachable and open to discussion of their concerns, and perhaps offer suggestions that they were not aware of or hadn't been around enough to think of - or find the appropriate person who CAN address their concern more concretely and put them in contact.

Please expand.

The same as you, or any other member. Offer stimulating and thought provoking discussion to pull them in and make them WANT to get involved. Frequently, I will already say things that I don't believe, or an over-the-top version of something I DO believe, specifically TO elicit a response and invite involvement. It's nothing more than you or any other member can do, and many already do. I was recently surprised by a new member contacting me and actually stating that they had been a long time lurker, and had made the decision to join specifically because of my activity in the NASA Signal Hoax thread. It's a humbling experience, and to be frank, I wasn't quite sure how to take it, but there it was. I've decided it's a GOOD feeling, but it still surprises me when it happens.

There's no better way to draw out a lurker than to provide something they WANT to get active and involved in, and perhaps can't quite resist.

The current promotional system seems to work well. Just Google something you find of interest, and a link to that topic will likely turn up in the search to ATS. Beyond that? Bumper stickers and block parties. That answer is tongue in cheek, but contains a truth - there is no advertising quite as effective as person to person word of mouth, especially when you can engage on a subject the other person finds interesting, and on which they want to know more.

They are very tasty. Most are crunchy, and go well with a special sauce. The ATS community has an outstanding habit of setting trolls back in their proper niche, and gluing them down there. In particular hard cases, the Mods are on the ball. One thing that concerns me is the frequency of accusations of "trolling" when no such thing has actually occurred. Everyone has a bad day every now and then, and accusations of trolling flung at members who have no track record of such are uncalled for. The accusation itself is too often used as a tactic to attempt to silence an opposing voice. In those cases, who is REALLY the troll?

Please expand.

No changes. I can't expand on nothingness.

Because I'm a Curmudgeon. I'm the old guy who sits on his porch and glares so hard you have to laugh at him. I have a habit of cutting to the chase, offering viewpoints and solutions that others don't see, because of their very simplicity. People tend to over-think and over-complicate issues, and solutions get lost in the complexity. I'm a simple man with a simple mind, not overburdened with complexity, and because of that I often cut straight through the fog, right into the matter at hand.

My simple-mindedness and direct approach are what set me apart.

edit on 2012/6/22 by nenothtu because: to fix quote tags and typos, because I suck at spelling

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Great answers so far.

Thought I give it a bump!

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   

No not entirely. I think they are a number of regular discussed topics that could probably warrant a new board of their own such as "Zombies" to name but one. In fact, I think a lot of users probably haven't even been on a vast majority of the boards because they tend to go on the forums that interest them so perhaps a little re-organising of the topics is what's required here.

It's a reward system, simple as that. Just like Facebook has a "Like" system and Twitter has a "Re-tweet" function. Members need a way of boosting the popularity of a topic they're interested in and having previously built forum boards from scratch myself, there's no simpler system you could adopt to do the job it's doing.

Similarly to above, the Star system is a good way of getting users to interact with each other and for me, the "Star + Flag" system go hand-in-hand.

Rules are their to be followed, and those abusing and bending those rules must be warned via PM, and should it continue as it usually does with trolling/bullying, I would like ATS to highlight that user and make them publicly recognised by everyone for future reference. Too many users are easily given the opportunity to populate their threads simply by using words such as "100% Proof" or "Undeniable Evidence", etc when in reality it may be just their opinion. Warnings need to be given out to these users too.

ATS needs to be bastion of information for every guest and member that visits the website, we have no time for dis-information on these boards.

All NEW members will be welcomed publicly by myself "Just Chris" ATS Regent when they reach the 20 post limit and create their first thread. They will then be sent a PM giving them a brief intro into the site, where to find things, how to upload photos, etc. It's the little things that New users need to get a grasp of quickly if we are to secure them as a long term member.

First off, we'd need to address the likely scenarios as to why a "Lurker" you refer to is hesitating...is it because the quality of content is drifting off-topic, is it because of trolling or bullying, or is it because they feel any comments they add may be lost in a particular busy thread. My solution is to cut down on the members who are posting single line and "Smiley" posts and leave the threads free for intense debate. Lurkers who see a quality thread WILL post if they feel their comments are welcome.

As a Web Designer by trade, I work a lot with Search Engine Optimisation when working with all of my clients. Naturally the social side of things such as Facebook and Twitter are ABSOLUTELY vital to drawing the attention of new visitors. And it just so happens that I have at least 2 Facebook pages that each carry over 10,000 Likes per page. Advertising on here has awesome effects as I've seen for myself.

I would also like to open a new section of ATS that has a page jam-packed full of animated avatars, banners, etc for members to distribute across other forums and the web. On this page we'd also welcome members who have designs of their own to submit. "Word of mouth promotion is the key here.

As many of you should be aware with regards to the 50 Shades Of Debate Party, we are absolutely against Trolling/Bullying and Nation bashing! We have no room for it, and it puts a huge downer on the operation of a successful ATS, which is the overall goal here.

As mentioned above, these members need to be brought into the limelight so everybody knows exactly who they are, the times they are likely to post, the topics they are likely to post on, etc. I'm confident a "zero tollerance" approach would work wonders...instant ban for all trolls!

This is an area that I haven't had much time to look into at this moment in time, but make no mistake no stone will be left un-turned.

Because I honestly believe the other candidates don't have it in them to back-up the points they've made. The difference is I can. I live, breath and die for ATS. I'm on it for hours on end every day. I'm not a huge poster, but don't get me wrong i'm the type of guy who just likes to read quality content, and if I feel I have something to add, i'll post.

I'm a reasonable guy and I honestly feel I would be a great representative and voice for the members of ATS.

Thanks
edit on 22-6-2012 by Just Chris because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   

APOCALYPSE NOW PARTY

1. I can't speak for anyone else, but I enjoyed the game that led to the unlocking of the Japan, 2012 US Elections, and WWIII forums. I would definitely like to see something along those lines used for any new forums to be introduced. As for ideas for new forums, I think we could use one for DIY gadgets, gismos and projects.

2. If I am not mistaken, the Flag system was originally intended to alert the staff of T&C violations. I suppose that could be brought back, and Tin Foil Hats could be awarded to threads that you like. But personally I don't have a problem with the current system. It is what it is.

3. My opinion on stars is pretty much the same as flags. Sometimes they can help with identifying Trolls, but it is all relative to other peoples perspective. I don't think it's broken, so don't fix it.

4. I think the Moderators and Owners do a very fair job of upholding the T&Cs. We have all seen great contributors to ATS banned for violations. No one receives special treatment. Everyone counts or nobody counts. If anything, I think the Mods are overworked and under appreciated. More effort should be put into recruiting additional Moderators.

5. Senior Members need to be patient with newcomers to ATS. In the Debate thread I brought up the idea to send out a monthly Newsletter type message, reminding members about the Search Function and other Tools that are available. In every Introduction thread I have seen a Mod always comes by and posts this:

Originally posted by JohnnyAnonymous

Welcome

Be sure to try out Ask ATS with any "search words" of your choice, you will find numerous threads to choose from to add your thoughts to. Once you have achieved the minimum of 20 post replies, you will be able to create your own threads in their appropriate areas & additionally send & receive messages to fellow ATS members.
Here are some handy links to get you oriented into now becoming a valued member of ATS.
Reaffirming ATS Policies ( Please Read First )
Terms & Conditions Of Use (Please read second)
Visit here next - ATS Freshmans Forum
Index of Important ATS Related Threads
Starting a New Thread ?... Look Here First
Hey New Members!! Come here if you need advice
Easy Way to Upload Your Pics & Avatar Graphics

Please have fun, ATS at times is like a rollercoaster ride! But be aware if you act in an uncivil-like manner, use profanity, troll, intentionally spread a hoax and/or get verbally abusive, you will be removed off the ride by a Moderator. This is for your safety, & also for those both young and old on the ride with you.
So buckle up, keep your arms within the ride's comfort zone, have fun and "Deny Ignorance"...!

Ultimately it is up to the new member to utilize the information that is provided to them.

6. I am a HUGE Lurker myself. I spend hours on ATS every single day, whether I post anything or not. If I see something that interests me I will post if not, I wont. Haters gonna hate, Lurkers gonna lurk.

7. I don't think ATS needs to be promoted. It should be stumbled upon in you quest for answers. That's how I found it. One day I was searching along then BLAMMO, "Good god, I've found the Motherland" All roads for knowledge eventually pass through ATS.

8. Trolls, one warning, 2nd offense - 24hrs of quiet time, 3 strikes you're out.

9. The WATS index uses math that is beyond my ken. I don't think it is relevant to the content of the site, but other people seem to like it, and that is fine with me.

edit on 22-6-2012 by watchitburn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   

APOCALYPSE NOW PARTY

Continued...

10. How am I differentiated from the other candidates?
I am many things, but above all I am practical, sometimes even to the point where it makes others uncomfortable. You will not catch me sugar coating or romanticizing reality either. But I like to have fun with things occasionally too. I insist that no topic should be sacred(except those covered by the T&C) When you put something on a pedestal, those that question or try to look deeper tend to be persecuted. That is not the way to gain knowledge and understanding. Lastly I believe NOTHING, I think it is premature to believe we have all the facts on any topic. Beliefs are dangerous, they lead to torment, suffering and death. Ideas on the other hand, can evolve as more information is obtained. And that is what I offer to the citizens of ATS, The opportunity for endless ideas without persecution. (though stupid ideas should be pointed out as such, albeit in a civil manner)

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   
1 - Would you suggest altering, changing or creating new Boards? If so, please expand as to the reason why.

Of course. Any member can currently do that. We didn't have a Japan forum until the tragedy after the earthquake. Boards are added when deemed appropriate by the site owners. I can suggest changes, but it's up to the ownership to make it happen.

2 - How do you feel about the Flags? Not to be touched? To be altered or taken out? Would you suggest another way of rewarding threads? Please expand.

Flags are the current system to promote threads. There have been other methods that have been used in the past, which I'll get to later in the questions, but I feel the flagging system works adequately, albeit not efficiently. Flagging a thread will get content moved to the front page and promotes them in the top topics, so those are the stories that get the most attention. I use the words "not efficiently", because there are many good threads that "slip through the cracks" and never get proper recognition. There's also the issue of abuse of the flag system, and the flags that get attention are not of the "best" quality. Remember that the highly flagged threads get moved to the front page, and that is what visitors to ATS see. It's a direct reflection of the content we produce. If you click on the "ATS trending pages" button stickied at the top of every page, you'll see that most users hover on the main page before launching into read stories. As far as another method for "rewarding" threads, I don't see it as being necessary at this point in time. The current system works well.

3 - How do you feel about the Stars? Any changes you would suggest to that form of recognition? Please expand.

I like stars, and give them out to all posts I like. I'll sometimes star a post I read, without responding, just to let the poster know anonymously that they said something I liked. It's more individualized to give or get a star, as as we all know we can only give one flag to a thread but give many stars throughout. Other people, including newer members, can see the posts that receive more stars, and usually it is because of a solid post, and not a one-liner and a "second line". That helps members realize that good posts are just as important as good threads.

4 - What would you DO to reinforce the T&C? Please expand.

What ever other member should do. That is, click the "alert" button and send a quick message to the mods. You get an almost instant verification that your alert has been received, and I believe members should use that feature more to help with any "troll" problems. You can alert a thread, as well as individual posts. Anything else is considering mini-modding, which IMO, is nearly as bad as trolling. Let the mods do their job, and help them do it by the appropriate methods.

5 - What would you suggest to help out new members arriving? Please, no links to already made up threads on this subject. I would like YOUR opinion. Please expand.

I've already suggested one function of an ATS Regent to be a thread creator for "current" tutorials, as most new members would have no idea to use the search function. The search function is based on already created threads, with lots of mystifying jargon, so I feel most newer members are quite intimidated by it. Most new members also wouldn't know to visit the Freshman forum, but a thread created by the Regent (and filled with added member content), and who has the Introductions forum as a favorite would be able to easily provide a quick link. Any other member who likes to welcome new members could also provide the link. Many times there's a mod that provides a welcome with a series of links, but sometimes that may be overwhelming, and often I see people saying, "shortly a mod will be along to provide a list of links". Can't other members link to a simple thread that covers the most simplest of basics that would be the most helpful to a new member, without being over intimidating? Rules, rules, rules. Yes, we are telling new members the rules, but if you've ever installed software, have you EVER read through the EULA, or do you just scroll to the bottom and click ok? I rest my case, fellow members. Features change on ATS, so the Regent should update the said thread on a periodic basis. First impressions are also the most lasting ones.

Continued......

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   

I prefer cedar to pine

Please expand.

I like the one they used with the stars in the circle better than in rows, it made it a lot prettier. If you take the threads out, it unravels though, I tried that once

It's kinda cloudy tonight, so I can't see any stars, but I can recognize some of the constellations when they're out.

send them to beezers house for the weekend!

Oreo cookies

Billygoats gruff

Please expand.

first, figure out what in the world it means

I am the best looking!

edit on 22-6-2012 by PurpleChiten because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   
I am honestly impressed with some of the answers so far !!!!

Some pretty cool ideas are also seeing the light of day !

A Big Thank you to every Candidate that has replied so far. Now off to pm ALL other parties.

You guys (and gals) are the BEST!

More to come !

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   

U2U Flood Control is in effect. Please wait a little longer before you send another message.

Great...

Question # 11 : What would you recommend to cure this U2U problem ???

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by SonoftheSun

I think that the point of having it is not to actually send out (possibly accidently) more than one U2U at a time.... but you have to hit reply to start typing.... and I believe the reply to start typing a response to a U2U is on the same system as the button to hit when you send a typed response.

I would recommend to the ATS PTB to put those two buttons on a separate (whatever you call it) so that the send button is different than the button you hit to start typing a reply...

but I am not a candidate...

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   
.....continued.

6 - What would you DO to help lurkers turn into avid participants? The lurking here is huge. Often met with criticism and arrogance, the member in lurking mode would most probably like to participate but hesitates. What would you concretely DO to change this situation? Please expand.

There's nothing wrong with lurking. If the definition of reading without commenting is "lurker", then I am guilty as well. I can simply read more content without having to stop and comment on every single post in every single thread, and to me, most people are lurkers. There are topics I read that I have no comment on, but that doesn't prevent me from reading them. The variety of comments on ATS is fascinating, but I simple find it impossible to acknowledge them all. Lurking is a choice, Period. You can't force someone to leave a comment, especially if they are enjoying a thread but it is something out of their area of expertise. People will make a post when they want to. Honestly, lurking is not a problem of any sort, so let lurkers lurk.

7 - What would you suggest to promote ATS, that already doesn't exist? No links to already made up threads please. Let's see your creativity at work here. Please expand.

ATS doesn't really need promoted in any way, because it already is. There are google spiders crawling all over the place. Honestly, another member stated that doing a google search yields a link to ATS almost always. In fact, I found my way here while researching a "swamp creature" that was a spam email for a friend at work. I joined instantly. Of course, I was able to read the thread and discern after a few pages that the swamp creature was photoshopped, and an ATS member provided the evidence that the legs of the creature was actually the inverse legs of a deer from a trail cam. That said, that is the primary reason we aren't allowed to swear or talk about certain substances. ATS is a family friendly site, and the ownership wants it that way. It's why the T&Cs are strictly enforced, and why ATS is the best conspiracy forum on the internet.

8 - What would be your stance on trolling? Trolls will always be. But what would you do about it? Please expand.

Trolls are people who are alienated from reality, or otherwise find enjoyment in causing disruption, and are usually teenage boys. The simple answer here is to once again use the alert feature, and let the mods decide on the proper course of action.

9 - The WATS system. Any changes you would recommend? Please expand.

Which system, I wonder, is being referred to? The one from 2007, the one from 2010, or the current system which doesn't function the same way? WATS was originally conceived as a reward system for good threads, and the "Way Above Top Secret" (WATS) award was provided on a monthly basis. It's been revised several times, to reflect a change in increasing membership, and to accommodate for the growth of the number of threads being created. As stated before, ATS periodically reviews the way things are functioning, and makes changes accordingly. The current system uses your Posts, your Flags, your Stars, and your Applause to calculate the new WATS (the W under your avatar), and to generate a Karma (the K under your profile). The formula is as follows:

W = (posts / 600) + (flags / 80) + (stars / 170)

K = (stars * 15) + ((flags + applause) * 10) / posts

Credit to schuyler

Grab a calculator and see if the formula stills works. That info is from April, 2012, so it should be current.

Anyway, nope no changes, the masterminds behind ATS have the system under control, and they can alter it anytime they like to account for growth.

10 - Finally, what makes you different from the other candidates? Basically, why would a member vote for you instead of another? Please state your reasons.

I see things differently than most others, I don't have "knee-jerk" reactions, I am well-tempered, kind and compassionate. I tend to think things through before saying something, and I love to research information to find facts instead of saying "I don't know." I'd like to think I can provide answers, but know that it takes a group effort to actually get to the core of any issue.

There are several members running in this campaign that would be able to serve the position of Regent, no doubt about that. I can't say why a person would rather vote for me than another, so I'll let the membership decide.

I'll conclude by saying best of luck to all the candidates in this campaign. May the best person win.
edit on 6/22/12 by Druid42 because: removed a parenthesis

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   

U2U Flood Control is in effect. Please wait a little longer before you send another message.

Great...

Question # 11 : What would you recommend to cure this U2U problem ???

That's an easy one!!! Don't send U2U's so fast!!

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   
******Commercial Break******

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Never! Already those new immigrants to our fine nation may be overwhelmed by the sheer abundance of knowledge. Add or removing the forums, the standard, will only add to that confusion.

A system that is imperfect but it serves a purpose. I an neutral towards them. I know the system can be abused to profit the few but too many have flourished since it's implementation for me "fix what's not broken"

The stars let us know what the public feel. Even if the view point is one we don't agree with, the people's feelings on the matter is reflected in their star. The truth hurt sometimes, as does outright lies. The star system also gives you a glimpse into the community.

Nothing. The moderators already do a fantastic job in their enforcement of the T&C

Start with the oldest threads first then work your way back. That way you will not bring attention to something that has already been addressed. Never overlook the contributions made by others that are no longer here. And try not to post for flag points as well.

Nothing. Let them lurk, that is the bait. After their eyes have been opened enough they will join. "If you build it, they will come.". We want those lurkers as active members when they are ready.

Commercial advertising via TV or radio

Against trolling in all of it's forms! All forum moderators will be equipped with anti trolling measure, the liberties i cannot discuss as it being a matter of national security. But rest assured that those protecting us will be well funded and have the best tools available bar none!

None.

I represent the Banana Republic. That's all the difference that's needed! Banana's for every man, woman, and child no matter their race, color, creed, or nationality!

Let's take breakfast back!

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Would you suggest altering, changing or creating new Boards?

I've only really ever had an idea of altering one forum. Well, more like stream lining. I have even gone as far as suggesting it to staff as a member. It was just an idea I had,but I would not say suggest that it needs to be done, by any means. As it stands, I think we have an amazing array of forums, covering just about every topic I can possibly think of.

But, for what it is worth, this was the idea I once had as a member. I once suggested that, because, so often, members post non-alternative news in the Breaking Alternative News Forum, perhaps we try just having a "Breaking News forum" that allows for both Alternative and General breaking news...Freeing up one of the forums for another subject, if need be.

Again, I do not think this needs to be done. It was just an idea I had one day and figured it was worth throwing out to the staff as many members have thrown out ideas for the forums, over the years.

So, for what that is worth.

How do you feel about the Flags?

I have always enjoyed the flag system. I do like that they fixed it so you can remove a flag you gave, should you decide at a later time, that a thread is not flag worthy after all. As it stands now, I do not believe any change should be made to the flagging system.

So, I suppose my stance on that is simple and straight forward.

How do you feel about the Stars?

Again, starring a post is a great way to show that you agree with what a member has written. As ATS Regent, none of us would be able to actually change the starring system, but, I have seen many members speaking out, wishing that there were a way to de-star a post, in the same way that you can now de-flag a thread.

If anything, on a personal level, I might like to see, some day, the ability to de-star a post, for the same reasons that I feel it is a good idea to be able to de-flag a thread.

And, if I saw the people asking for it, I would be willing to talk with Bill ( He does most of the coding for this site) and see if he agrees that it is a good idea.

What would you DO to reinforce the T&C?

Well, first, an ATS Regent, is still a member only. So, all any of us can do, is, if you see a post or thread that is potentially a T&C violation, we should alert it and this is what I do and will continue to do.

But more so, as I have always strived to do, I lead by example. I am a firm believer in being the change you wish to see. I believe that setting a positive example by following the T&C and remaining civil ( That is what the T&C really breaks down to) is a great way to help enforce the T&C.

Well, there are many threads up and available to new members, teaching about the rules, etiquette, how to's and more. But, I do think it is a good idea to encourage our more veteran members to speak up and maybe even work with the newer members to welcome them, teach them the ropes and answer any questions.

We have lots of members, for example, who know lots about photo shop and making avatars. I would like to see members with that specialty, volunteer to maybe step up and help new members with that.

Any "expertise" is welcome here and there are many ways that we can use our knowledge, to help the newer members and create an even closer community than we already have.

What would you DO to help lurkers turn into avid participants?

Well, frankly, I believe that if a member wants to lurk, rather than post, that is their right to do so. When I first joined, I lurked for a month or so before I decided to make my first post.

Sometimes, not everyone joins in order to participate, they join just to read and there is nothing wrong with that. I do think that criticism of lurkers is unwarranted and only serves to make them less likely to ever post.

The most we can do, is remain friendly and civil. Then, if a lurker decides to post, welcome that post with open arms.

What would you suggest to promote ATS, that already doesn't exist?

ATS does a great job of promoting itself. It is widely considered the best conspiracy site on the internet and is arguably the largest. If a member wants to promote it, I would suggest mentioning that we don't only talk about conspiracies here. We have a giant array of topics ranging from Aliens, to the latest celebrity gossip. This is a place and everyone can enjoy.

Continued on in my next post...........

EDIT TO REPAIR BROKEN QUOTES
edit on 23-6-2012 by gimme_some_truth because: Fixing the quotes.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join