It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Money is NOT Power.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   
I feel guilty for posting a comment and not haven taken the time to read the entire thread, but I couldn't help notice in the OP all of examples cited equated power with money. The only difference you showed were those who had family money and pissed it away, then got it back, and those that won it and pissed it away. Neither examples seem to match the title of the thread.

Since I haven't read the whole thread I would assume that someone has already pointed out that Power=Wealth and Wealth=Power are the same statement. Perhaps it could be said that Wealth leads to Power or Power leads to Wealth. I read a few posts in and someone had commented that Knowledge = Power.

Power can be defined as the possession of control or authority. Parents have power over their children. Pastors have power over their congregation. I think we all have power over situations AND our lives but fail to recognize where our influence lies.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
reply to post by Golden Rule

You deconstructed the OP very well. To be honest the post about Jesus and the Indian Prince, I thought were all rhetorical questions.

Sorry, I don't understand. What do you mean by deconstructed? Is that something positive or negative?

Could you please illustrate to me how I have deconstructed the OP?

No, they were not rhetorical questions. I described a scenario that most citizens of Western civilization are familiar with. There is a choice to be made according to the reader's opinion. Are the money changers "men of power"? After all, they have the power to create wealth - one of the conditions of true power as stated by yourself. Secondly, a man who is condemned to execution is released from prison and greeted as a hero or revolutionary. This would also seem to correspond to another of your principal assertions, that an imprisoned man of power could even bring about his release from imprisonment and make good with his life. The choice is there for disagreement isn't it?

The choice is there to say that the supremely wealthy and powerful Prince was deluded and suffered from a mental illness when he surrendered his power ion search of something more enduring, is it not?

To use a mocking laughter emoticon is not really a considered response, if you want to explore all the possibilities of your debate. I can only assume that you are an atheist and have dismissed the principals of the analogies I have used because you interpret them as superstitious religion which you find to be a joke. Anticipating this, I have kept it within a historical perspective rather than a religious one.
edit on 23-6-2012 by Golden Rule because: extra text

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   
There is put forth the proposal that power precedes wealth and is independent from it. There is the example made by the O.P. that a wealthy man was put into prison under circumstances where he was unable to use his wealth as leverage, yet still managed to be treated as a lord by his fellow inmates. This is intended to be an illustration that this fellow was the personification of power. But what exactly is power in this sense? Is it the power of an alpha-male animal who possesses a greater innate predisposition for aggression and so his subordinates pay obeisance to him? Or is it the fact that his fellow prisoners are aware of his previous status of wealth and hope to become recipients of his favour later on? Or if it is not the influence and dominance of the alpha male animal is it that people who are incapable of becoming wealthy somehow respect the one who can?

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by cry93

My soul's experience belongs to my soul.

It doesn't belong to this body and dimension.

Hi cry93. Yes, but I think you are referring to wisdom though, not knowledge. Knowledge is stored in the brain cells.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   

To use a mocking laughter emoticon is not really a considered response, if you want to explore all the possibilities of your debate. I can only assume that you are an atheist and have dismissed the principals of the analogies I have used because you interpret them as superstitious religion which you find to be a joke. Anticipating this, I have kept it within a historical perspective rather than a religious one.

The laughter icon was directed at myself more than anything. I wasn't mocking, and I meant that the questions you asked provided insight into the original post I had made.

I haven't had time to look into your perspective with looking into historical context. But I appreciate your contribution.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   

"Everything we do, everything we are, rests on our personal power. If we have enough of it, one word uttered to us might be sufficient to change the course of our lives. But if we don't have enough personal power, the most magnificent piece of wisdom can be revealed to us and that revelation won't make a damn bit of difference."

Tales Of Power

www.prismagems.com...

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Money is more like magic or for the world Warcraft folks it basically mana points it doesnt insure victory it just helps

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join