It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Money is NOT Power.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by boncho

Originally posted by g146541
reply to post by boncho

I disagree, there are many warlords, dictators, and cartels that beg to differ.
They all have tremendous power, the thing you are confusing is there is always a bigger fish.

These people have power, regardless if they have money. They would not obtain those positions, or the top of the hierarchy without power/influence/knowledge. They could not be there simply because they have some cash lying around.

One word, HALIBURTON.

Buy mercenaries with cash and overthrow a country, install dictator and voila.
Sound familiar?
Money = power.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by TRGreer
Money buys people. People influence or buy others on behalf of their benefactors. Oh look its our political system! Technically speaking money is not power in and of itself but often money is used to slant the system in favor of one side or the other. The saddest fact here is that we are the ones that ultimately give money its value. The powers that be tell us this is our currency and it has value and we believe it and use it.
Sending out a positive vibe!

Those people are "bought" long before any money is given to them. And one could say it is the politicians that are the ones exerting their power. A quid pro quo to pay a politician money is very similar to extortion. While everyone runs around thinking politicians are "bought", why are you not considering that they are selling something?

They are selling something! Their benefactors agenda and at this point in time when money allows billionaires to buy a bigger political voice is this not buying power? They majority of Newt's run for presidency was financed by one man who gave over 10 million to his campaign. One man kept a presidential candidate in the race. That's buying power with money.
edit on 22-6-2012 by TRGreer because: Typo

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   
on the flipside....

knowledge is power
money is power

and manifestation is also power too

If a person knows & understands the laws of attraction they can simply manifest the "things" they need without the paper cash. Most of the time it'll come for free so you don't need to play the money game.

IMO manifestation is true authentic power.... and like all powers it can be wielded positively or negatively.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   

reply to post by boncho

I disagree, there are many warlords, dictators, and cartels that beg to differ.
They all have tremendous power, the thing you are confusing is there is always a bigger fish.

These people have power, regardless if they have money. They would not obtain those positions, or the top of the hierarchy without power/influence/knowledge. They could not be there simply because they have some cash lying around.

One word, HALIBURTON.

Buy mercenaries with cash and overthrow a country, install dictator and voila.
Sound familiar?
Money = power.

Wrong. Halliburton secures contracts that pay them. Power = Money.

Your looking at it from a simplistic view.

There are a number of contractors out there, but Halliburton got a majority of bids, and full protection from abhorrent waste of money.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Money buys people. People influence or buy others on behalf of their benefactors. Oh look its our political system! Technically speaking money is not power in and of itself but often money is used to slant the system in favor of one side or the other. The saddest fact here is that we are the ones that ultimately give money its value. The powers that be tell us this is our currency and it has value and we believe it and use it.

Those people are "bought" long before any money is given to them. And one could say it is the politicians that are the ones exerting their power. A quid pro quo to pay a politician money is very similar to extortion. While everyone runs around thinking politicians are "bought", why are you not considering that they are selling something?

They are selling something! Their benefactors agenda and at this point in time when money allows billionaires to buy a bigger political voice is this not buying power? They majority of Newt's run for presidency was financed by one man who gave over 10 million to his campaign. One man kept a presidential candidate in the race. That's buying power with money.

Still not looking at it for what it is. You believe the person in the position of power is being bought off, bought out, but really they are just selling their influence.
edit on 22-6-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by BS_Slayer

Great points...I guess it comes down to how we define power...Perhaps you remember the line used by Thulsa Doom in Conan... "What is steel, without the hand that weilds it?".. In a sense, the steel/sword is in and of itself "power", but in the wrong hands it is useless, as we have seen with drug addicts. In a way, both stances are right, but because of how tight the statement: "money does not equal power" is, I had to take that into consideration. Even between two simpletons, that sword is one hell of an advantage....

Interesting thought. I'd say the sword is money, and someone well trained in hand to hand combat might overtake someone with a sword.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Certainly fair enough, but let me ask...would money make that journey smoother?

Not necessarily. People do not respect others if they feel they have money that isn't earned. That's where all the "haters" come out to play. So to speak.

Essentially, that journal only goes up if you can control it. If you are increasing your wealth, it's only a testament to your personal power increase up to that point.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   
What I am really trying to say in this thread folks, is that if you strip a powerful person of their wealth, they will find a way to earn it back. Because that is not the source of their strength.

This is a thought experiment to help everyone think outside the box a little. Stupid saying like this have a far greater impact than one would care to admit.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Certainly fair enough, but let me ask...would money make that journey smoother?

Not necessarily. People do not respect others if they feel they have money that isn't earned. That's where all the "haters" come out to play. So to speak.

Essentially, that journal only goes up if you can control it. If you are increasing your wealth, it's only a testament to your personal power increase up to that point.

Very true sir, very true. However...that is an ideal example of knowledge overtaking wealth. The sword remains a manifestation of power... remember, in my analogy, it was two simpletons hehe... None the less, one of the more creative topics I have seen lately.

From my perspective, Money is a form of leverage as you put it, which equates to power to me, BUT, it pales in comparison to knowledge. Also, One can, and people often to rise to power from nothing.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   

I think we've hit a fairly common ground now on the topic as this fits in pretty much with my position. Well done.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Money is paper. Money is a concept, an idea. If we get power from these things, we are severely kidding ourselves.

Nice write-up OP.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Still not looking at it for what it is. You believe the person in the position of power is being bought off, bought out, but really they are just selling their influence.

in·flu·ence
   [in-floo-uhns] Show IPA noun, verb, in·flu·enced, in·flu·enc·ing.
noun
the capacity or power of persons or things to be a compelling force on or produce effects on the actions, behavior, opinions, etc., of others: He used family influence to get the contract.

In order to sell "influence" or anything for that matter you must have a buyer. Which came first the chicken or the egg is what your argument boils down to. Regardless people are buying and selling each other for power and it has completely corrupted governments and societies.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I will now go on to write statements that will assist me in saying that not only is money, power, if you have enough of it, money makes you a God among humans.

With 1 dollar a day, I can buy a few small daily things
With 100 dollars a day, I can rent a house, car, healthcare, and save up for something nice
With 1000 dollars a day, I can buy a house in a year, have all the things above as well.
With 100000 dollars a day, I can buy a new house every day, have all the things above, invest in other companies and interests, possibly also having a say in said company/ interest.
With 1,000,000 a day, I can buy a company, hire people to do as I want for my company, and have everything above and some.
With 100,000,000 a day, I can sway nations via stimulus loans, lobbyists, lawyers, hackers, private firms to dig up information, basically I can do what ever I please, since I can pay money to obtain anything I want with enough time.

Now the values I have given may seem steep, but we have humans living today that make these amounts, and even some who make extremely more. Now you explain to me, how money is not power? When power is always found with money.

I mean, it not only buys power, it buys 98% of island rights.

Billionaire buys 98% of Hawaii's sixth-largest island of Lanai for sum reported to be around $600m
edit on 22-6-2012 by Moneyisgodlifeisrented because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Yes, I will agree with that last but I think it may have been because they were innocent!

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 01:09 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Its usually helpful, if not essential to define your terms before plunging into the conclusions drawn from the so-far undefined terms. What do you mean when you use the word 'power'? Do you mean the ability to dominate, control and generally fuk with others, if one is so inclined? Or even to just impact the lives of others, be it positively or negatively? If this is your definition of 'power', then money most certainly gives one power. Resources, represented in dollars, by their definition give an individual the ability to have greater control of their environment and the people in it, bed it for good or ill. Resources, in fact, are acquired specifically for this reason, by every living organism.

But on the other hand, if by 'power' you mean the ability to lead a happy and for filled life, then of course money cannot grant that. Only a life of virtuous actions can grant true and sustainable happiness. Love and joy cannot be bought, as your examples illustrate. I would add that money or resources are a necessary but not sufficient ingredient of a good life - its hard to be truly happy while starving or living at a purely subsistence existence. But after the basic needs are taken care of, and children are provided for, the satisfaction that money/resources can and do provide are diminishing in their returns.

So yes, in both cases, money most certainly provides the individual with 'power', but power =/ sustainable and true happiness.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 02:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Moneyisgodlifeisrented
I will now go on to write statements that will assist me in saying that not only is money, power, if you have enough of it, money makes you a God among humans.

With 1 dollar a day, I can buy a few small daily things
With 100 dollars a day, I can rent a house, car, healthcare, and save up for something nice
With 1000 dollars a day, I can buy a house in a year, have all the things above as well.
With 100000 dollars a day, I can buy a new house every day, have all the things above, invest in other companies and interests, possibly also having a say in said company/ interest.
With 1,000,000 a day, I can buy a company, hire people to do as I want for my company, and have everything above and some.
With 100,000,000 a day, I can sway nations via stimulus loans, lobbyists, lawyers, hackers, private firms to dig up information, basically I can do what ever I please, since I can pay money to obtain anything I want with enough time.

Now the values I have given may seem steep, but we have humans living today that make these amounts, and even some who make extremely more. Now you explain to me, how money is not power? When power is always found with money.

I mean, it not only buys power, it buys 98% of island rights.

Billionaire buys 98% of Hawaii's sixth-largest island of Lanai for sum reported to be around $600m
edit on 22-6-2012 by Moneyisgodlifeisrented because: (no reason given)

You think you can do all that. But are you capable?

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 02:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Moneyisgodlifeisrented

How much gold, diamonds and oil is in Africa?

And why are they not a rich continent?

Money does not equal power.

Thanks for coming out.

edit on 23-6-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 02:44 AM
link   

in·flu·ence
   [in-floo-uhns] Show IPA noun, verb, in·flu·enced, in·flu·enc·ing.
noun
the capacity or power of persons or things to be a compelling force on or produce effects on the actions, behavior, opinions, etc., of others: He used family influence to get the contract.

In order to sell "influence" or anything for that matter you must have a buyer. Which came first the chicken or the egg is what your argument boils down to. Regardless people are buying and selling each other for power and it has completely corrupted governments and societies.

Star for your post. You are exactly right as I also contemplated the chicken and egg analogy as well.

But I believe we were led to believe the one, while the other is correct.

Good eye.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 03:09 AM
link   
I feel that you pretty much prooved that idiots that win the lottery are still idiots.

Not only are they dumb enough to squander their money, some of their family members are also untrusting idiots that want their money to squander.

Power is an ego thing. People only want to impress others and want them to think that they are important.

If you really do not care what others think of you, then power really means nothing. Money just helps pay the bills and have one less thing to worry about.

The problem is that the society in which we live in these days brainwashes everyone to worry about what other people think of them. The Pinto gets you from point a to b the same as a Bentley, but everyone would rather have the Bentley to impress others.

edit on 23-6-2012 by liejunkie01 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 03:45 AM
link   
No I disagree money is power. It actually is a token of manpower; ie it is used to to extract manpower; mental and physical labor from other people. And, the more you have of it the more manpower you can marshal and utilize according to your will.

And really your examples do not disprove that notion at all. All they prove is most people don't know how to use power effectively when they have it. Having power doesn't mean you are smart and wise enough to use it. I will just use your first example to show you what I mean.

Jeffery Dampier - Wins 20 million dollars, sister in-law and boyfriend kidnap then kill Jeff end up with life sentences.

Okay Jeffery won twenty million dollars. If he was smart enough to use his power wisely he could have used a small fraction of it hire armed body guards to watch his back twenty four seven and when his sister in law and her boyfriend came for him they might have ended up dead instead of him.

In fact if he had two hundred million instead of twenty, he could have marshaled a small army of builders to build him a fortress and then he could have marshaled a small army to protect him and his fortress and he would have been protected from not just his sister in law and her boyfriend, but against most people.

In fact if Jeffery had enough money he could probably Marshall an army large enough to topple the government of a small nation and set himself up as dictator, gathering even more power.

Point is money is still power even if people don't know how to effectively use the power they have. The more of it you have, the more manpower you can extract from people. The more people you have working for you building and doing what you will, the more power you have to influence the world.

Just my opinion though.
edit on 23-6-2012 by prisoneronashipoffools because: typo

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join