It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do insects llike light?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 02:40 AM
link   
We all see it. Insects swarm to light. For a long time I assume, they were happy in their own world. But now, they must go to the light. The motive is not known. Obligitory post here :

entertainment.howstuffworks.com...

en.wikipedia.org...

I am struggling with my own addicitons, and trying to understand how my limbic system works. I think this behavior of insects holds a key that can unlock the barrior to the millions of afflected people like myself. Be mindful that addiction can reach upon every aspect of behavior. On my behalf ,this is an important observation. I know it doesnt matter to most, but why is there a bug zapper?

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 02:55 AM
link   
im also interested in this, i used to work with blast furnaces in a rural australian town, once when we had a stick insect problem i would open the furnaces to extract mineral samples and thousands of insects would just fly straight into the ovens and burst into flames. ive always been puzzled by this.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 02:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Speckle

insects swarm towards the light because they are programmed to. It use to be the moon they would swarm towards, specifically during mating season for some of them such as termites. It gave them all a direction to head towards to meet.

for moths, i borrowed this from wikipedia. its just a theory but I think it makes sense en.wikipedia.org...

By maintaining a constant angular relationship to a bright celestial light, such as the Moon, they can fly in a straight line. Celestial objects are so far away, that even after travelling great distances, the change in angle between the moth and the light source is negligible; further, the moon will always be in the upper part of the visual field or on the horizon. When a moth encounters a much closer artificial light and uses it for navigation, the angle changes noticeably after only a short distance, in addition to being often below the horizon. The moth instinctively attempts to correct by turning toward the light, causing airborne moths to come plummeting downwards, and resulting in a spiral flight path that gets closer and closer to the light source

Turtles too are attracted to light because they use the moon to direct them when they lay eggs.
edit on 22-6-2012 by Nephlim because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 04:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Nephlim

Yeah that does seem to make sense. I always thought it may have been because they liked the warmth and the light made them comfortable .. Kind of like we as humans prefer light to dark as we can't see in the dark.

Or from a spiritual perspective, perhaps they are showing us that it is in our 'nature' to follow and walk the path of the light ... Who knows !!

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 04:33 AM
link   
reply to post by TH3S33K3R

positive inferiority drive which is wrong, the illusion that u can b from profiting of else
u cant b but what u do that is why usually the concept of free giving is out of being sacrifice which is wrong too

which show that what is wrong is principally and exclusively the recognition of anything else then truth

truth is absolute superiority first and last then no inferiority allowed but also no possible sacrifice what gives is a right that must exist of its result effect and resolve itself freely for its best fact all to its own self will

so truth gives right by force
and truth possess wrong by powers

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 04:37 AM
link   
reply to post by absolutely

i was meaning the illusion of light that kills insects is like for humans the will to benefit from the sun

noone is afraid from the dark since everyone love to sleep that is a lie

dark is associated with fear only from what is hidden and make bad surprise breaking the constant breed there

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   
sometimes I have bugs that fly directly at me lol, its because us humans are beings of light!

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Speckle

maybe they want to read mini books.

just saying!

interesting regardless.

i wonder why girls like diamonds?

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by soon2beaher
reply to post by Speckle

maybe they want to read mini books.

just saying!

interesting regardless.

i wonder why girls like diamonds?

I don't. I really have no idea why they're supposed to be special. I see those sappy commercials and just roll my eyes: all that fuss over a tiny rock that you can't even use to DO anything? Lame.

Now, if diamond rings could double as diamond tipped drills or something, I might be inclined to give them a second chance.

Granted, I don't care about "stuff", so that's probably why it seems so pointless to me.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Speckle

I am struggling with my own addicitons, and trying to understand how my limbic system works. I think this behavior of insects holds a key that can unlock the barrior to the millions of afflected people like myself. Be mindful that addiction can reach upon every aspect of behavior. On my behalf ,this is an important observation. I know it doesnt matter to most, but why is there a bug zapper?

It is in their genetics to be drawn toward light. They need the light. Unfortunately, their genetics don't realize that there are now artificial forms of light. All they know is that it's bright and they are supposed to follow that brightness.

You are drawn to your addictions because you have conditioned yourself to go to those addictions in times of confusion, stress, boredom, anxiety, or whatever triggers your need. Until you break that psychological conditioning, you will always want to go back to them.

Truthfully, depending on what you are addicted to, you may always struggle with the siren sound of that pleasure you get.

Just know, though, that you have control. You realize that it is calling, but you can deny it power over you and decide to do something productive instead.

Best of luck to you, Speckle.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Speckle

I believe they seek the light just to orient themselves to the ground. I could be wrong but I'm not.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Nephlim

All you poor people who have your little facts messed up a bit. They use the moon to get to the water after hatching. The adults dont use the moon to find the beach to lay the eggs. The newly hatched turtlets ( my word) use it to find the ocean. And the moths and other insects are attracted to the light so they can orient themselves to where the ground is.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by absolutely
reply to post by TH3S33K3R

positive inferiority drive which is wrong, the illusion that u can b from profiting of else
u cant b but what u do that is why usually the concept of free giving is out of being sacrifice which is wrong too

which show that what is wrong is principally and exclusively the recognition of anything else then truth

truth is absolute superiority first and last then no inferiority allowed but also no possible sacrifice what gives is a right that must exist of its result effect and resolve itself freely for its best fact all to its own self will

so truth gives right by force
and truth possess wrong by powers

anyone else ?

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by karen61057

Thanks for the correction, but you don't need to talk so condescendingly. We're here to learn from each other not put each other down. Unless that is what your philosophy is..

To the OP, you should tell us what your addictions are.. if you want help understanding them it would help to know what your addicted too.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nephlim
reply to post by karen61057

Thanks for the correction, but you don't need to talk so condescendingly. We're here to learn from each other not put each other down. Unless that is what your philosophy is..

To the OP, you should tell us what your addictions are.. if you want help understanding them it would help to know what your addicted too.
Oh sorry Nephelim this was not just to you but to several others posters who had information that was partially correct but not completely correct. I didnt mean to sound snarky. I know I do sometimes.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
I think it's because they live such short lives and the memory of the source is so fresh in their minds they wish to be nearest to it since they're gonna be there again soon and hopefully reincarnate as a higher form of consciousess since dying as an insect is punishment for evil souls...being eaten by a spider or a bird or other animals are different levels of punishment. Dying in the light is probably the most ironic punishment since it is the source but brings you closer to a better reincarnation. Hitler was probably eaten by a tarantula multiple times and torn apart by birds.Jeffery Dahmer was probably a spider that was eaten by a mongoose.

top topics

join