It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Typhoons, Raptors and Vipers, oh my!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Red Flag Alaska 12-2 had many firsts, and one last. For the first time, F-22s, German Typhoons, Polish F-16s, and Japanese F-15Js all participated together. In addition the Australians brought their E-7A Wedgetail for the first time. A contingent of RAAF C-130H aircraft also participated for what will be the last time. They are nearing retirement and replacement by the C-130J.

When you think of Red Flag, Nellis and the Nevada terrain immediately springs to mind.

But there is another Red Flag combat training exercise that takes place over the vast training areas of Alaska.

Noteworthy, the latest Red Flag-Alaska 12-2, at Eielson Air Force Base, with more than 100 aircraft and 2,500 personnel, has seen several firsts. It’s the first time U.S. Air Force’s F-22 Raptors have participated in Red Flag-Alaska, along with eight German Eurofighter Typhoons from Jagdgeschwader 74.

Another first is the participation of the Polish Air Force that has brought its F-16 Block 52 aircraft.

Japan is taking part as well, with its F-15J Eagles (somehow causing some confusion to the U.S. DoD Flickr uploaders – see caption).

theaviationist.com...

www.flightglobal.com...

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 02:27 AM
link   
There sure seems to be a whole pile of international inclusions into the good ole US military training regimen....
Tho this has occurred since divided Europe days....it seems to be far more peopuar of late......
Is this a part of the plan to integrate NATO and the Trilateral allies into a mutinational service in future?
Sometimes it would seem that some secrets are not to be shared even with allies for the sake of "national securiity"yet time and again lately i see foriegn nationals participating in military drills exercises and training rotations of all kinds......
To my eyes it is possibly a dangerous game we play with present allies whose furture is uncertain at best.
Though Australia is far from in that standing.....as are the other participants in this particular exercise.......
The warning bells still murmur in my head when i hear this kind of bragadoccio.......will these international exercises prove costly at a future date?
Will we find that some of these new friends are not as friendly as they first seemed?

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by stirling
Sometimes it would seem that some secrets are not to be shared even with allies for the sake of "national securiity"yet time and again lately i see foriegn nationals participating in military drills exercises and training rotations of all kinds

Well. Generally most visiting countries pilots are instructed to not use many of the gizmos and gadgets while participating in international training exercises. Mainly the Radar. Many of them do not even use their training skills to the fullest at these events as to not disclose the maneuvers which might be their upper hand. Generally these events are aimed more towards 'interoperability' with respect to communications between allied countries and their systems along with a general team work approach during a conflict. There are several factors learnt, discovered and evaluated about other countries AF branch during such exercises such as leadership, quality of communications, flying skills, maintenance cycle and exchange of technical information upto certain extent between the pilots.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I checked out all the sites re Red Flag-Alaska and the Raptor-EF subject. The only site that varied was the Eurofighter site. Apparently, Pfeiffer, the commander of the german EFs stated "the Raptor's capabilities were overwhelming", yet the EF sites says his follow-up statement was the EF had nothing to fear in a merge with the Raptor. No other site had that comment. Curious, as they were both on the "blue team" with no WVR between the two.
Perhaps Pfeiffer and Moga, the two commanders, went on a site-seeing ride and decided to play?

I've seen claims by some Brits on various You Tube videos that claim the EF is superior to the Raptor in WVR scenarios. Yet, the results from UAE from last year showed the EF "declining" invitations to play with the Raptor.

Has these two aircraft "played with each other" that we know of??

top topics

join